Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

notaspy posted:

I don't see us "savage, orc-like inhabitants" of South London so aggressively, and mindlessly slagging off you (presumably) North Londoner's.

Or maybe you were looking at a mirror when you typed this.

I'm 90% sure goddamnedtwisto is Isle of Dogs, which although it's technically north of the river is south london in my book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
careful, things like this can escalate to centuries long, bloody conflicts

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
ururugh! your lot! your lot! not like my lot your lot!!! :manning:

- the human hindbrain

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Jippa posted:

There used to be a chicken "factory" (people called it) near my school. If the wind was in a certain direction the smell was unholy. I haven't smelled anything like it before or since. People would run between lessons desperate to get inside.

I used to work near one of these. I'm blessed with a very poor sense of smell, so it really never really bothered me. Even then, on a warm day with the wind blowing in the wrong direction, it was obvious. The company was constantly being fined for environmental health violations, but somebody in accounting must have decided it was cheaper to pay the fines than solve the problem. At one point when their storage tank had broken and not been fixed, an inspector turned up and vomited immediately after getting out of their car.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

I don't see us "savage, orc-like inhabitants" of South London so aggressively, and mindlessly slagging off you (presumably) North Londoner's.

[Attenborough voice]
And here we see the South Londoner demonstrating the basic lack of spatial and directional awareness that eventually led to their ancestors to end up on the wrong side of the river in the first place. See how they are completely unable to differentiate "north" from "east".

This may however be a crude attempt to misdirect, as they do at least exhibit the most basic of pattern recognition skills and do not attempt to criticise or challenge their claret-and-blue betters, knowing that there is no possible way they could deny that East London (East London!) is wonderful (is wonderful!), and full of tits, fanny and West Ham.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

crispix posted:

careful, things like this can escalate to centuries long, bloody conflicts

"Escalate to"?

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

I would move to the green pastures of more-house-for-your-money south of the river but my wife is presumably a vampire and thus unable to cross moving water

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17
East London is definitely the best. I spent a decade moving further and further east... then ended up outside the M25, oops.

Uh, hi everyone. I might post in here a bit now and then. It's been a while.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Wait... Goddamnedtwisto IS the isle of dogs?

Everything makes so much more sense now. It's like a Ben Aaronovitch novel!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Wait... Goddamnedtwisto IS the isle of dogs?

Everything makes so much more sense now. It's like a Ben Aaronovitch novel!

Listen I've put some weight on over lockdown, I won't lie, but I don't (yet) have a 5 kilometre waistline.

(I am, however, mostly reclaimed marshland)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I noticed an odd change in Wikipedia's nomenclature for towns/cities/villages where that naming may be contentious, but suddenly it makes sense.

So what is settling the Isle of Dogs? :cthulhu:

(Other than the obvious answer :shibe:)

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Guavanaut posted:

I noticed an odd change in Wikipedia's nomenclature for towns/cities/villages where that naming may be contentious, but suddenly it makes sense.

I am moving to Streatham in the next month so shall relate back the status of the humans settled there.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
east london is the south london of north london anyway, no need for resentments imo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Goddamnedtwisto is a big name in the North London elite dinner party circuit I hear.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Red Oktober posted:

I am moving to Streatham in the next month so shall relate back the status of the humans settled there.

They've got a great football team there

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté

Hello, dear
i should rather ought to think that the aisle of dogs is where you find the pet food!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :dadjoke:

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Typical East London elites belittling the working class, salt-of-the-earth south londoner. When will these Dagenham dictors accept that while they sit in their ivory towers, criticising those seperated by the great schism of the trotskyite thames, they themselves have become representative of the chattering classes destroying this once-great nation.

I do not know, dear reader, how long these hornchurch hoxaists have infiltrated our forum, nor how much longer they will continue to attack us with long, detailed posts. And assail us with these posts the barking bakuninists surely will. Cross-referencing their work thus far, it is estimated that the average wordcount of their posts is somewhere in the region of one thousand, nine hundred and eighty-four.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Guavanaut posted:

Financial services workers. Whether that counts as settling, or humanity, is left open to the reader.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Imagine actually living in London lmao

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Dabir posted:

Imagine actually living in London lmao

it's pretty neat, actually

though i wish it was about half as expensive :smith:

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

♪ to the tune of Beadle's About ♪

Watch out; Gnasher's about!

Looks like GJ and the posse are term-searching and attacking randoms about that dead dude.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

notaspy posted:

*laughs in (very) East Londonish*

You want orcs? We got orcs. :P

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's still all just London and you're all getting walled in like a metropolitan version of Cask of Amontillado when the time comes anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's probably not the source of the contention on Wikipedia but it coincidentally does point out the fact that the "Isle of Dogs" is actually different from those other places because it's just a geographic feature[1] on which there are - depending on how you want to count them and how you want to set the boundaries of the "island" at least 3 and probably a lot more different settlements[2]. Obviously this happens in loads of places - Tottenham is on the Lea Valley which includes a dozen or more old villages, Streatham is on the un-named plateau that stretches from Plumstead to Tooting that probably has 50 or more places on it - but the sheer desolation of the area post-war meant that it ended up all being treated as one place (between pre-war slum clearance, Luftwaffe redecoration, and post-war council house construction only about 5% of the buildings on the Island pre-dated 1920 *even before* the 1980s scouring of the area).

It *is* an interesting age shibboleth though - if you were born after about 1970 it's just the Island, before then it's the actual place names on it. A lot of this is because so much of the housing on the Island is post-war (at one point something like 90% of the dwellings were council-built or owned, 70% of those built between 1960 and 1980, and many of them were built on former industrial sites that used to more sharply define the edges between the older residential areas.

[1] Yes yes yes, not technically an island, at least until the construction of the City Canal, although the French do use "Ile" to mean "an area between rivers". The name was also originally applied just to the area around Chapel House Street, in the south-west of the Island, which was the only high-and-dry area in the salt marsh that covered the area. It was the only permanently-occupied place on the Island, holding a small monastery, and was also the base of operations for the Dutch engineers who embanked and reclaimed the land in the 16th century - "Dutch Island" and "Dyke Island" are two possible explanations for the name, which definitely has nothing to do with royal kennels no matter how much people say it is.
[2] Millwall, Cubitt Town, and Blackwall are the canonical three, although Blackwall is north of the City Canal so outside the actual "island" bit of the Isle. Now most people also recognise Island Gardens, Crossharbour, South Quay/Millharbour, and Canary Wharf (again north of the City Canal) as distinct areas of the Island too, and there's also something to be said for the 5 big post-war council estates being distinct, relatively self-contained settlements - each hold at least 2,000 people and have their own shopping areas, primary schools, etc.

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

My eldest niece's English textbook (she's German) was all about the Isle of Dogs, featuring Dear Deidre style photostories about a group of kids having drama and hanging around at Mudchute farm and the Asda and Cutty Sark. As a former Mudchute resident I found it totally hilarious. Thousands of German kids earnestly learning about the DLR, the opening hours of the farm, and so on. Sehr komisch!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

EvilMoJoJoJo posted:

My eldest niece's English textbook (she's German) was all about the Isle of Dogs, featuring Dear Deidre style photostories about a group of kids having drama and hanging around at Mudchute farm and the Asda and Cutty Sark. As a former Mudchute resident I found it totally hilarious. Thousands of German kids earnestly learning about the DLR, the opening hours of the farm, and so on. Sehr komisch!

They weren't from Essen, were they? The S-Bahn there has (maybe had, I'm not sure if they're still in service) the original 12 DLR trains, heavily modified but still in their original livery, which I thought was a nice touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_PtAIuD90

The local secondary school had a trip out to Essen to go see them in the late 90s, it'd be nice to think there was some kind of cultural exchange thing going on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Everytime I remember london exists it just drags me down that little bit extra for the day.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I haven't been to London since before the pandemic. I used to love it for brief visits after having lived there for years just by still being able to rapidly navigate the tube without standing on the right, not having my card out at the gates or getting hopelessly lost somewhere on the circle line.

Of course now that I nearly have a panic attack in ASDA due to maskless coughing assholes every week cramming into the self checkouts waving bunches of spring onions I don't think I'd enjoy it much.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I loved living in London - approx 30 years. So much to do and so much free entertainment if you sought it out - free concerts, free galleries, whatever. But yes, expensive. But also those elusive things known as jobs that paid reasonably well - and casual work to boost your income. I well remember the old Job Centre in Mortimer St where you would go sit early in a morning (including weekends) and they would dish out jobs in hotels or whatever on a first come first served basis. Chambermaid, cleaner, washing up, whatever.

I was lucky to live in Bloomsbury for a total of about 10 years - albeit in bedsits in student / hospital accommodation - so was within crawling distance of Marquee, Astoria, and long-crawl of Dome, Electric Ballroom, and a few other places lost in the mists of time. Gigs twice a week, those were the days, that was the life.
To go to a gig now, even to Cardiff or Bristol, means I have to budget an overnight stay (cheaper than a taxi home), 2 days for travelling, and most of the venues cost an arm and a leg like £60 or whatever!

Not sorry to not be living there during the pandemic!

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jan 23, 2022

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Everytime I remember london exists it just drags me down that little bit extra for the day.

I hope this finally puts a stop to people claiming that London delenda est, because this on it's own is worth the trillions of pounds we plunder from around the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Millwall, Cubitt Town, and Blackwall ... Canary Wharf
It does say that Millwall is a human settlement, but none of the others. Make of that what you will.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Not sorry to not be living there during the pandemic!

I moved to London in February 2020, so like, 3 weeks before the pandemic. It has actually worked out pretty well even without being able to go anywhere outside my neighbourhood, in that there's little supermarkets all over the place which are stocked by Boris getting in his van and driving to Bulgaria rather than relying on HGV drivers, which means even during the worst of the shortages I could find things like yeast (labelled in Cyrillic and 1 quid a packet, at one point, but fortunately I had plenty already), toilet paper, etc. And in general since I like to cook a variety of stuff having e.g. 3 massive Indian cash and carries 15 minutes' walk away is pretty awesome.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Should he not be running the country rather than keeping your local cornershop stocked?

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Should he not be running the country rather than keeping your local cornershop stocked?

Take a look at the country. Do you think he's doing much of that?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If we are doing weird smells, the asda in middlesbrough is built next to a big industrial estate that has:

1. the onion bhaji factory, I don't know if they actually make onion bhajis but whatever it is there is a very powerful smell of fried onions at certain times of day which I find difficult to tell apart from the smell of gas sometimes.
2. the drift track, so on thursdays there is a constant sound of screaming rubber and a faint smell of burning.
3. as of late, the biogas waste processing facility, so the entire place smells like a sewer during the summer when the wind is right.
4. sometimes people do big shits in the shop and hide it under the shelves, and sometimes also someone drops a case of beer and it gets under the racking and then the whole place smells like a particularly horrible pub.

middlesbrough is an exciting land of myriad sensory experiences.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 23, 2022

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They weren't from Essen, were they? The S-Bahn there has (maybe had, I'm not sure if they're still in service) the original 12 DLR trains, heavily modified but still in their original livery, which I thought was a nice touch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hr_PtAIuD90

The local secondary school had a trip out to Essen to go see them in the late 90s, it'd be nice to think there was some kind of cultural exchange thing going on.

Bavaria but I think it's a textbook used all across Germany? Like my A Level German textbook used Saarbrücken as its example city (which was weird when I visited it and had ghost flashbacks to giving directions to the station or whatever). That's really cool about the old DLR trains though :)

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/lizmorrish/status/1485274982699737091

How long until the report is leaked in full?

cyril sneeeer
May 3, 2021

by Pragmatica

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Depends what you mean, and when you smelled it. Before 2000 the area was definitely one of the more interesting smellscapes in London. Working north-to-south you had:

- The slack area at Bow Creek on the Lea (still happens but less frequently) - mostly smelled of stagnant salt water and assorted pollution
- The Pura baby food factory at Leamouth (closed around 2005) - really weird musty smell, occasional burned food
- The scrap yard just over the northern entrance to the tunnel - burned metal from cutting
- The tunnel itself - diesel and petrol fumes obviously, with that weird petrichor smell whenever it rains
- Northumberland Wharf, where rubbish from Tower Hamlets and a couple of other London boroughs is loaded onto barges for shipping down to landfills (or to go onto bigger ships off to Asia for "recycling") - general bin-lorry smell
- The Nobel factory in west Silvertown - it makes paint, not dynamite, and is a fair distance from the tunnel, but it's responsible for a *fascinating* mix of smells - mostly hot plastic, but undertones of rotting fish, ozone, acetone, and really just about every other chemical smell you can think of. Also the last factory left of the massive chemical industry that used to exist around (and repurpose waste from) the old Beckton Gas Works, which would have made Silvertown and North Woolwich an area that stank even by the standards of pre-1953 London
- The river itself - mostly doesn't smell these days unless there's been very heavy rain and the CSOs have overflown into it.
- The chemical factories next to Greenwich Gas Works (closed 1997) - these were the *real* stink-makers. Lots and lots of rotten-egg hydrogen sulphide (yes, that *is* extravagantly poisonous), also a weird yeasty smell sometimes, plus all the other colours of the pollution rainbow
- The Blue Circle cement plant west of the southern tunnel approach (closed 1997) - mostly a sort of hot, damp smell from the kilns, sometimes a hard-to-describe smell halfway between burned toast and burned sugar. There's a smaller concrete mixing plant on the southern edge of the site that just smells of diesel
- The big recycling plant in Charlton - bin-lorry *and* burned metal and plastic smells
- Finally there's an LPG evaporator plant at the southern edge of the gas works site, near the B&Q and Ikea, that smells of mercaptan (the stuff they add to natural gas to make it smell) if you're right next to it.

Plus of course the smell of the savage, orc-like inhabitants of south London generally.

It wasw and still is a REAL sulphury smell. for some reason on the south side not the north side of the tunnel. it smells of farts basically.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Went to London on a school trip, it smelled, i ate greasy chips beside the Thames, didn't get to any museums (Madame Tussauds doesn't count in my book) that pissed me off no end.

The highlight of my trip was finding a Misha lapel pin (1980 USSR Olympic mascot) lying in the street, i also saw a lizard for the first & only time in my life (Northern Ireland has one species of lizard which are a bit thin on the ground).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

cyril sneeeer posted:

It wasw and still is a REAL sulphury smell. for some reason on the south side not the north side of the tunnel. it smells of farts basically.

It might be an old stink pipe that's still in use? It would certainly explain any fart smells.