Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

obithrawn posted:

I don't understand how people get into these situations to begin with. Why didn't "who is paying for what" come up beforehand? Why didn't it come up on the trip where one person says 'hey this soap dispenser is cool' and the other person says 'not for $50 its not' either serious or as a joke? This is a 2 minute conversation with someone you are living with and presumably spending a lot of time around what do these people talk about all day that they consistently run into huge problems that are easily solved with 2 sentence exchanges??

I get the sense this is baby's first serious adult shopping trip without mom and dad, for both of them. So she went into it assuming it would work like it does in her family and didn't even discuss, him the same.

A lot, and I mean a LOT of young go people go into the world thinking stuff works like it did in their family and get smacked in the face by how much they took for granted as 'common sense' (that is not a real thing, it's just code for whatever unspoken poo poo seems obvious to you bc you were raised with it. People get angry at others who don't know their rules, which seem so obvious and inherent to them personally after being steeped in them from birth, and they don't seem to understand that their experience isn't universal.,)

therobit posted:

I feel like $1400 is a lot to spend on poo poo from IKEA. IKEA is OK for one or two pieces like bookcases or shelves, but otherwise is really only for for Children’s furniture. Go to some second hand stores if you need to outfit an entire apartment. It sounds like the IKEA couple are not on the same page as far as what’s necessary the first month in an apartment, but I tend to think buying everything at once is foolhardy and also that you get more for less if you buy good stuff used.

This is a good example of the above. More than one person mentioned you should invest in real furniture. You absolute fools, lamenting this is trash furniture and taking about what you perceive as the best practice of holding off and building up a solid furniture collection over time.

That is for people who have settled. The flimsiness is the point - you're renting and still in the infancy stages of building a life together, buying actual real robust furniture that is heavy and bulky would be a bad call - it will cost you more money to haul that poo poo around in the long run as you move from place-to-place, and gently caress, what if doesn't work out and you break up fairly quickly?

You don't just get together and then right away start investing in a china cabinet and the dishware to go with it. You buy trash furniture to survive and at least have something, then you replace everything with nicer stuff over time, as your life settles in and you have the chance/money to do so.

I used to have to move around every year/two years or so for a bit, owning actual furniture instead of fiberboard crap I could abandon on trash day and buy again would have been a serious problem. And I'm not going to live in a sad boy space that's just a mattress on the floor and bare dusty walls. That's some depressing poo poo, just living with nothing until you can afford 'the good stuff'.

People who don't live in their final resting place of a house yet deserve to live in decent spaces, with functional poo poo, without paying out the rear end for wood furniture that they will have to then literally pay even more money just take with them forever after. IKEA serves this niche perfectly, and frankly I wish there were more places like it and fewer places like Ashley's furniture and such.

Anyway sorry but people being all comfortable in a spot and working on building a life and not understanding how people in transition can't do the same things as them drives me bonkers. Because owning things requires you have enough resources to store those things and to be able to keep them/take them with you without issue.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Just a bunch of adults like, 'you buy it once then you don't ever need to replace it!' is some Boomer poo poo. Building a life is iterative, you will redo many things over and over again as you age, aquiring furniture included. You don't just do aim to do it once then be done. You do what is best for your current situation, and then build on that or even rebuild as circumstances change.

Life is a cycle, not a thing you can complete.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

You can make a table last until your death if you scream at anyone who uses it as a table

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Don't forget the glass cabinets full of fine china that is never touched until the day you die and it all goes to the op shop to be used as a bachelor's crockery or target practice for a pellet gun.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
What would you say to a gigantic hardwood cabinet for your 32" CRT TV? You wouldn't believe the selection they have.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Don't forget the glass cabinets full of fine china that is never touched until the day you die and it all goes to the op shop to be used as a bachelor's crockery or target practice for a pellet gun.

We're in the middle of valuing and clearing out the contents of my dad's house and there's an entire Wedgwood China set in there that I don't think I've ever seen used in my four decades on this earth. It's nice, but what's the POINT.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
A good can opener is a generational heirloom :colbert:

e: when you suddenly need to furnish an entire home is not the time to be buying lasting furniture anyways. That poo poo takes time to find and curate. Buy cheap poo poo and then replace it with sturdy stuff as you find the exact thing that fits your needs. You can't really just go out and buy that in a day.

Dr. Stab fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 23, 2022

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Sometimes I don't want a table I have to hold on to for a million years, I might not like it anymore or might get bored of it or whatever.

We agreed this time around to take my mom and dad's armoires/bedroom set and I regret it immensely.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Just a bunch of adults like, 'you buy it once then you don't ever need to replace it!' is some Boomer poo poo. Building a life is iterative, you will redo many things over and over again as you age, aquiring furniture included. You don't just do aim to do it once then be done. You do what is best for your current situation, and then build on that or even rebuild as circumstances change.

Hell, my wife and I do own our own house and when we ripped out a bunch of horrible 80s built in chipboard shelving and cupboards we still replaced a bunch of it with some nice Ikea shelving because who cares if the overflow beans press isn't aged native hardwood? It's just beans.

The kitchen is all Good Stuff though.

e:

Dr. Stab posted:

This is objectively true. Give me the heritage knife that's been sharpened so many times it's half the size it started and can cut atoms.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jan 23, 2022

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Dr. Stab posted:

Hell yeah. I have an old swing-away that was my grandmother's. That thing has moved across the country with me 2x

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Splicer posted:

we still replaced a bunch of it with some nice Ikea shelving because who cares if the overflow beans press isn't aged native hardwood?

I'm mad that the Ikea shelves and wall mounted cabinets we got are already sagging after two years. They're not holding up anything heavy, so it's disappointing that we'll have to replace them sooner rather than later.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

We just bought a house that the previous owners had remodeled their kitchen with Ikea 6 years ago, and it's still in fantastic condition. We're definitely going to go with Ikea again whenever we decide to redo it.

I also just bought a couple awesome, comfortable lounge chairs from IKEA. As mentioned, they have a wide range of quality and price. The Stockholm line is generally great quality and sometimes solid wood.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

kimbo305 posted:

I'm mad that the Ikea shelves and wall mounted cabinets we got are already sagging after two years. They're not holding up anything heavy, so it's disappointing that we'll have to replace them sooner rather than later.
Are they shelves also wall mounted or a bookcase deal? If it's a bookcase replace it with two narrow ones half as big as you want. e.g. we have two skinny Billy Bookcases instead of one wide one and put an "extra top shelf" addon thing from a double-width one on top to tie the whole thing together. It looks good and we did some asymmetrical shenanigans for some of our bigger books. If the shelves slide out easy like, again, a bookcase, get an extra shelf, swap it out for a saggy one, and put the saggy shelf on top of another saggy shelf upside down. Then load it up with heavy stuff and leave it like that until it deforms back into shape and repeat with another shelf.

For our kitchen we got a (non-Ikea) kitchen company in, we only got self-assembly Ikea stuff that was freestanding.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Splicer posted:

Are they shelves also wall mounted or a bookcase deal?
Most of the sagging ones are ones that straddle the brackets that plug into wall rails.

quote:

If it's a bookcase replace it with two narrow ones half as big as you want.

If shelves slide out easy like, again, a bookcase, get an extra shelf, swap it out for a saggy one, and put the saggy shelf on top of another saggy shelf upside down. Then load it up with heavy stuff and leave it like that until it deforms back into shape and repeat with another shelf.

These work, but eat into the benefits of getting cheaper furniture.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The only surviving bachelor furniture I still have is an Ikea box mattress and desk/chair combo, as well as a couple bookshelves of unknown origin. Ikea is cheap and utilitarian, but this is the first time I'm hearing people say it doesn't last.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

From looking in some cabinets of my parent's old house, I have 2 full sets of dinnerware, and what appears to be enough glassware to stock a bar. One of the sets of plates is the "nice" ones we used on holidays. I've never seen any of the glassware used.

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

This is a great post.

kimbo305 posted:

Some things you buy from Ikea, some things you don't...

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Zzulu posted:

Probably both for my sake and my adoptive child. Adoptive parents are not some temporary custodians of children who are obligated to form relationships with the biological parents who gave the child away. It's the adoptive parents child and their family, period. As far as I am concerned it is up to the adoptive parents to decide how much or how little contact they want with the biological parents.

Involving a whole other family and integrating them into your lives and the life of your adolescent child is complex poo poo man. I do not begrudge anyone who just goes "no, we're happy as it is".

That's not how this works. My husband and I are looking into adoption currently and the one thing they keep stressing is that every adopted child has a prior history, which is part of the deal. Even if the child was adopted right after birth, the biological family exists and it is the child's right to have the option of knowing where they came from. How much contact there is between the biological parents and the child depends on the exact situation, but in a case like this, some manner of contact between them is the only correct option. The adoptive parents made the decision to block any kind of contact between them, causing no small amount of pain (I'd bet OP thought growing up that her biological parents wanted nothing to do with her, which is traumatizing), and now they are facing the consequences. Keep in mind they still want to exclude the biological parents entirely from the wedding. It's the same as before.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Not from Reddit, but seemed thread appropriate

Woman donates kidney to her boyfriend who then cheats and dumps her

quote:

To say donating an organ is a big deal would be a huge understatement and one woman selflessly gave one of her kidney's to her then-boyfriend - only to be dumped by him ten months later.

TikToker Colleen Le (@colleeeniie) has made several videos where she recalled how she went under the knife for the man she loved and how their relationship soon unravelled.

When she began to date her now-ex five years ago, Colleen soon learned that he was diagnosed with chronic kidney disease at the age of 17 and has been on dialysis due to the fact that his kidney function is "less than 5 per cent."

Obviously shocked at this worrying news, the TikToker decided to get tested to see if her kidney would be a match for him because as Colleen explained her clip: "I didn't want him to die."

The couple then received the phone call that would "change their lives forever," which informed them that they were a match.

Colleen then fasts forward the story to the day of the big surgery where she says she was "nervous" and understandably.

Reply to @jenn.eunice I’m so sorry this took a long time! Let me know if you’re interested in part 2! #storytime #fyp #foryoupage #kidneydonor

After seven months had passed since the surgery, her ex informed her that he was travelling to Las Vegas with his church group for a bachelor party while Colleen was at home studying for her final exams.

But things took an almighty turn when her ex randomly came back from his trip and revealed that he cheated on her during the trip.

“A lot of arguments later, I eventually forgave him and gave him a second chance," Collen wrote as she decided to give the relationship another shot.

However, while they were compatible with a kidney transplant, the same can not be said for their relationship in the end.

Three months down the line Colleen's ex cold-heartedly dumped her over the phone and claims he told “If we are meant for each other, God will bring us back together in the end.”

Reply to @gina.phamm Who’s interested in part 3? 😅 #fyp #foryoupage #lovestory #relationship #kidneydonor

Though the break-up didn't turn out to be a very amicable one after the TikToker claims that her ex told her "You only donated your kidney to look good" and she detailed that "he blocked me on every social media and stopped answering my calls/texts for months."

Everything happens for a reason 😬 #fyp #foryoupage #foryourpage #fypシ #kidneydonation #kidneydonor #relationshipgoals #relationships

Since sharing her story, the TikToker has received millions of views on several videos, with the highest amassing 8m, while thousands have flocked to the comments to express their shock and also ways to get revenge on her ex.

One person wrote: "GIRL SLEEP WITH EVERYONE HE LOVES HIS DAD MOM SISTER GRAMMY."

"Take it [her kidney] back, he don’t deserve it," another person said.

Someone else added: "Don’t worry girl he literally cannot live without you and he has to deal with that for the rest of his life."

"WE NEED A REFUND POLICY," a fourth person replied.

While another person hilariously offered: "I know a guy who can get it [her kidney] back."

Despite this traumatic period in her life, Colleen insists that she has moved on and is happy, she wrote: "Don’t worry, it’s been over 5 years since I found out he cheated & I have moved on & living my best life."

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jan 23, 2022

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Cloacamazing! posted:

(I'd bet OP thought growing up that her biological parents wanted nothing to do with her, which is traumatizing), and now they are facing the consequences. Keep in mind they still want to exclude the biological parents entirely from the wedding. It's the same as before.

Yeah even with really awesome parents who were always open with me about the circumstances of my adoption that feeling that you weren't wanted does persist and it really really sucks to feel that way (even if I know that wasn't the case with my birth mom it still was there growing up)

That being said I wish you guys the absolute best with your adoption journey and just based on that simple post I feel like you guys are going to be kick rear end parents.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Not from Reddit, but seemed thread appropriate

Woman donates kidney to her boyfriend who then cheats and dumps her

Trying to read this was a mistake.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Dr. Stab posted:

A good peeler too imo

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
AITA for wanting a family meeting to discuss all of the single women in our family?

quote:

Posting for my parents.

We have an ongoing situation in our family. The older generation had 7 children total, 4 boys, 3 girls. The boys all got married and started families at a normal age, and the girls...just didn't. All three girls are still unmarried at 35, 32, and 27. Two of the girls have children but were never involved with the fathers.

Because the girls don't have husbands or boyfriends, the manual labor tasks that would fall to them fall to their fathers. Of course we don't mind helping our daughters, but at this point we're all over 65 years old. We aren't going to be around forever and we definitely can't keep helping them on the level that we have to. The boys are starting to worry that it's all going to fall on them and be a constant obligation when they have their own families.

I understand that every family is going to have one "maiden aunt" who never gets married and is a collective family duty, but that's one in q generation, not all of the women in a generation.

We wanted to have a family meeting to have a talk about what exactly can and should happen here and what their expectations actually are for family help if they are going to stay single, and things quickly went south with them calling us sexist. I don't think that's mean or out of place at this point to consider the future when we have an unusual situation that doesn't really have a guidebook. AITA?

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Piell posted:

AITA for wanting a family meeting to discuss all of the single women in our family?

George Bailey: Please, Clarence, where's my wife? Tell me where my wife is.

Clarence: You're not going to like it, George.

George Bailey: Where is she? What happened to her?

Clarence: She became an old maid. She never married...

George Bailey: [desperate] Where is she? WHERE IS SHE?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for asking a colleague to mind her own business after my dad "groomed" my mum and reporting her to my manager for this?

quote:

A bit of background: it was my mums (53f) birthday a few days ago. My dad (64m) decided to treat her to a dinner in her favourite restaurant. It's worth mentioning that my dad does not speak English, and my mum is not a native speaker either, but she is pretty fluent in it. My mum also looks significantly younger than she is due to working out, diet, and different beauty "therapies," while my dad looks his age. So, one of the waitresses pulled my mum aside and asked if she had been groomed by my dad. My mother thought that being groomed means being taken care of and treated, so she replied positively. After she couldn't understand why the waitress urged her to leave and hide and thought it's a surprise. Long story short police got called and nearly arrested my dad until Mum cleared the air, showed her passport, and said they were married for over 25 years. No hard feelings; they left a decent tip for the restaurant for doing something and laughed at the situation (more like miscommunication).

Now, on Friday, I was telling this story to my work friend, and we both agreed that it was funny. One of our work colleagues, Nancy, intervened and said if she was the police officer she would still take my dad into custody as due to their age difference its clear to her that my mother was groomed by him. Just hearing that wanted me to vomit, since my parents met each other when both of them had successful careers and my dad was working as a member of the police force himself for years and adopted me and raised me as his own daughter.

I snapped and asked Nancy to mind her own business and stop making assumptions, but she carried on. I had no choice but to get the manager involved, and both of us got dismissed until Monday to wait for HR to look into the issue. Since then, Nancy posted a rant on social media and called me an rear end in a top hat for "supporting grooming of women by older rich man," and some other people agreed with her.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Piell posted:

There is some incomprehensible tangled web of half-feminism, half-sexism going on here that no matter what leads back to the parents in some degree loving up.

Like either way you either raised them as helpless women, or are assuming they are helpless women, probably both by the look of it. Grats on your dumb mess.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

olylifter posted:

AITA for kicking my wife's family out after they flew down to stay with us for a few weeks?

-FIL dug a hole in our garden and took a poo poo because the bathrooms were occupied. Twice.

loving lol. How did no one else comment on the FIL digging a hole in their garden to poo poo in like a god drat cat. And that it somehow wasn't a deal breaker the first time.

I want to know if he filled in the hole after making GBS threads or just left it open as a really hosed up power play. Does he regularly do this at home? Like, does his lawn look like he has a bad gopher problem? Do his neighbors not even comment anymore when they see it happen? So many questions...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

limp_cheese posted:

I want to know if he filled in the hole after making GBS threads or just left it open as a really hosed up power play. Does he regularly do this at home? Like, does his lawn look like he has a bad gopher problem? Do his neighbors not even comment anymore when they see it happen? So many questions...

Just let the gophers move into your lawn and they'll save you the trouble of diggin your own poopin holes

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Beachcomber posted:

Trying to read this was a mistake.

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but since when is starting a new paragraph for every sentence publishable?

wibble
May 20, 2001
Meep meep
My dying mom made me [15F] promise never to tell my dad he's not my biological father.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/sapoyz/my_dying_mom_made_me_15f_promise_never_to_tell_my/

Never before have I wanted to punch a bunch of redditors so much... The whole story is a bit triggering...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Maybe I'm just showing my age, but since when is starting a new paragraph for every sentence publishable?

I think that's a Twitter thread unspooled into a single post, poorly

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It's been standard in red tops for ages: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/boris-johnson-said-couldnt-involved-26026742

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

wibble posted:

My dying mom made me [15F] promise never to tell my dad he's not my biological father.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/sapoyz/my_dying_mom_made_me_15f_promise_never_to_tell_my/

Never before have I wanted to punch a bunch of redditors so much... The whole story is a bit triggering...

really hoping this is an elaborate creative writing exercise because the alternative is that a bunch of MRAs murdered an innocent 15 year old

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

I get the sense this is baby's first serious adult shopping trip without mom and dad, for both of them. So she went into it assuming it would work like it does in her family and didn't even discuss, him the same.

A lot, and I mean a LOT of young go people go into the world thinking stuff works like it did in their family and get smacked in the face by how much they took for granted as 'common sense' (that is not a real thing, it's just code for whatever unspoken poo poo seems obvious to you bc you were raised with it. People get angry at others who don't know their rules, which seem so obvious and inherent to them personally after being steeped in them from birth, and they don't seem to understand that their experience isn't universal.,)

This is a good example of the above. More than one person mentioned you should invest in real furniture. You absolute fools, lamenting this is trash furniture and taking about what you perceive as the best practice of holding off and building up a solid furniture collection over time.

That is for people who have settled. The flimsiness is the point - you're renting and still in the infancy stages of building a life together, buying actual real robust furniture that is heavy and bulky would be a bad call - it will cost you more money to haul that poo poo around in the long run as you move from place-to-place, and gently caress, what if doesn't work out and you break up fairly quickly?

You don't just get together and then right away start investing in a china cabinet and the dishware to go with it. You buy trash furniture to survive and at least have something, then you replace everything with nicer stuff over time, as your life settles in and you have the chance/money to do so.

I used to have to move around every year/two years or so for a bit, owning actual furniture instead of fiberboard crap I could abandon on trash day and buy again would have been a serious problem. And I'm not going to live in a sad boy space that's just a mattress on the floor and bare dusty walls. That's some depressing poo poo, just living with nothing until you can afford 'the good stuff'.

People who don't live in their final resting place of a house yet deserve to live in decent spaces, with functional poo poo, without paying out the rear end for wood furniture that they will have to then literally pay even more money just take with them forever after. IKEA serves this niche perfectly, and frankly I wish there were more places like it and fewer places like Ashley's furniture and such.

Anyway sorry but people being all comfortable in a spot and working on building a life and not understanding how people in transition can't do the same things as them drives me bonkers. Because owning things requires you have enough resources to store those things and to be able to keep them/take them with you without issue.

Do you think those of us who are saying this never went through a phase in life where we moved around a lot? In my 20s I moved every year for like 5 years straight. The IKEA furniture I bought during that time didn’t hold up to the moving and was more expensive than the thrift store pieces, some of which I still have 15 years later and still love.

I grew up in a house where my parents bought brand new furniture pieces maybe 2 or 3 times and ended up regretting the purchase. My dad would just go to second hand stores and find good mid-century stuff, repairing it if necessary. If they decided they didn’t like something , they have it away or took it to one of the charity shops they probably bought it from.

Buying disposable furniture is incredibly wasteful from a carbon footprint/deforestation standpoint. Bookshelves that sit against a wall are probably OK since they tend not to see hard use, but anything that gets moved around or has people sitting or laying on it or has doors people are opening and closing will fall apart after a couple moves. And the thrift store stuff is cheaper. A U-haul truck can be had for $20-$40 for an in-town move. Part of how we wound up in this environmental crisis is people being convinced by large corporations to accept a disposable society where you have lots of things that are lovely and fall apart/stop working after just a few years.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Piell posted:

I wanted to know what the hell manual labor meant but the OP hasn't commented. I assume household chores, because if it's some sort of Fruit Tree Orchard on a Compound...? The comments suggest things like plumbing and electrical, which is few and far between. Wild.

This feels like a cishet being confused as to why lesbians don't need men, because we 'need men to open cans / jars for you! How will you survive otherwise?!'.

quantumwell
Jun 22, 2013
"I used to have to move around every year/two years or so for a bit, owning actual furniture instead of fiberboard crap I could abandon on trash day"

Last time I had to move across the state I either gave away or threw out drat near everything I had rather than pay to move old furniture. I bought
all new furniture for the 1st time in 20 years and spent more for the good stuff now that I'm older.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

value-brand cereal posted:

I wanted to know what the hell manual labor meant but the OP hasn't commented. I assume household chores, because if it's some sort of Fruit Tree Orchard on a Compound...? The comments suggest things like plumbing and electrical, which is few and far between. Wild.

This feels like a cishet being confused as to why lesbians don't need men, because we 'need men to open cans / jars for you! How will you survive otherwise?!'.

This is a family that thinks a 27 year old single woman is destined to be a “maiden aunt”, I wouldn’t be surprised if they’re very very remote and possibly generate their own power

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Hughlander posted:

AITA for asking a colleague to mind her own business after my dad "groomed" my mum and reporting her to my manager for this?

This is a tough one for me. On the one hand, her mom was clearly an adult when she met her dad, but on the other, her dad is a cop.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

quantumwell posted:

"I used to have to move around every year/two years or so for a bit, owning actual furniture instead of fiberboard crap I could abandon on trash day"

Last time I had to move across the state I either gave away or threw out drat near everything I had rather than pay to move old furniture. I bought
all new furniture for the 1st time in 20 years and spent more for the good stuff now that I'm older.

I guess I just don’t pay movers and rent a truck? It’s still way cheaper than buying new furniture every time you move. During that time I moved across the state twice and it’s not as difficult as people make it out to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
lol i really don't care what any of you think about furniture anymore

I [24M] am unable to bear my girlfriend's [23F] of 5 years no sex policy

quote:

Me [24M] and my girlfriend [23F] have been in a loving relationship for the last five years. She has a stance of waiting for sex till marriage, which I was okay with in the first four years of our relationship. But, the past year I have found it more and more difficult to not be frustrated by this. Bear in mind that we do a lot of naked foreplay, but we never have proceed till sex because she always shuts that down.

Now, what makes me even more frustrated is the fact that she has not told her parents about me (Somewhat conservative Indian parents) inspite of her having great relations with my parents, who are well aware of our relationship and agreeing to our marriage as well. This has been giving me the impression that she is saving herself for a groom that her parents arrange for her.

I have expressed my frustrations multiple times, but she has never budged on her stance. Furthermore, these kind of discussions always lead to me being blamed for being impatient.

The questions I have are:

Is having the expectation of sexual intimacy wrong in this context (Indian couple coming from upper middle class families and both working in MNCs)

I do love her and do not want to end something incredible for sexual intimacy problems. In this case, what can I do to let that frustration go away?

TLDR: Indian girlfriend will not have sex after five years of relationship