Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

slidebite posted:

I wonder how Airbus is going to spin that

My money's on :shrug:.

It's Coke or Pepsi. Both will give you the 'beetus but it's not like anyone's lining up to buy the turpentine-flavored Tupolevs, Sukhois, and COMACs.

I also have a strange feeling that if/when Embraer ever decides to try and build a 737/A32x competitor the US and France will invade Brazil.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Jan 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

hobbesmaster posted:

If Delta’s aren’t also breaking it could be something specific to their paint? Seems odd for this to only hit one customer

Prolly dealing with the same thing but decided to be cool about it and lean on airbus for a better deal privately.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

hobbesmaster posted:

If Delta’s aren’t also breaking it could be something specific to their paint? Seems odd for this to only hit one customer

Aircraft paint is tightly spec'd and bought from qualified providers though (at least in the military world). Also, paint sticking is largely in the surface prep. There's a ton of potential root causes to this issue, as other have said tho we dont know if other customers have been hit. The article seems to think others have.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://skybot.cam/

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

That is tits.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What are all the Trustee (to a bank) planes? Air cargo and that’s who is the registered owner? Transfer flights?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

priznat posted:

What are all the Trustee (to a bank) planes? Air cargo and that’s who is the registered owner? Transfer flights?

It’s blindly reading the FAA registration data. You can google the transponder code and get the actual registration. The ones I checked were Spirit.

CBJamo
Jul 15, 2012

You can also tell some are spirit because they're piss yellow.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s blindly reading the FAA registration data. You can google the transponder code and get the actual registration. The ones I checked were Spirit.

Ah makes sense. Interesting some airlines don’t have their name on the registration but probably nothing surprising.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm guessing they financed the planes.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

Cojawfee posted:

I'm guessing they financed the planes.

yeah that's it

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Commercial airplane ownership is the biggest rat's nest of trusts and agencies and lessees and contracts and shell companies and holding corporations.

Like you'd think that, at least for a large airline, it would be simple: they buy the plane, they own it, they operate and maintain it, their pilots fly it, etc. It's all under one big roof. Right?

Nope! That situation is exceptionally rare, if it even exists at all anymore. The plane is owned by some bank trust somewhere and leased to the airline. The trust owns four hundred airplanes that are operated by seventeen different airlines. But the trust doesn't own the engines; those are owned by a different company, which is a partly-owned subsidiary of the engine manufacturer, and also leased to the airline to install in their planes. This includes a maintenance plan where Rolls-Royce or whoever will send out their mechanics (contracted under a subsidiary) to fix the engines. The airframe's maintenance is handled by the airline, though, through a contractor that's partly owned by the airline and partly by the bank. The pilots are employed by a regional airline that gets to use the big airline's name and has a contract to operate flights according to the big airline's schedule, but which is legally distinct and has a totally different employment structure and no direct path to go from flying the regional jets to the international ones. All other services are also provided by separate contractors; the toilets are pumped out by the toilet pumping company that has a contract with the airport, the fuel is provided by the airport's fuel supplier, and all the peanuts are made by the same company, which services every airline at the airport, and bagged up in differently colored bags for each airline.

:pseudo:

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Do you say The Aristocrats! or Capitalism! after that?

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous
At least it's one step less bullshit than some places in Europe, where I've read that even in one airline certificate you'll have pilots operating simultaneously through separate staffing agency contracts.

vessbot fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jan 23, 2022

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Now do ships

marumaru
May 20, 2013

FunOne posted:

Do you say The Aristocrats! or Capitalism! after that?

I was literally scrolling down just to post "Capitalism!" before I saw your post

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I was actually surprised by the number of planes that didn’t show up under a bank or GE or whatever. It seems delta and American at least own their planes. Or rather, have their planes in shell subsidiaries with their names on it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

That whole explanation seems right out Zorg's speech in the Fifth Element.

https://youtu.be/krcNIWPkNzA

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Arson Daily posted:

Now do ships

*thread collapses into an infinitely dense singularity of recursive corporate entities*

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Peanuts? You guys are getting peanuts on your flights?

I can’t remember the last time I was offered peanuts on a flight.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Yeah I think everyone stopped offering peanuts due to allergies.

Delta's cookies are great.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

American also has biscoffs but they’re not branded.

I’ve only seen almonds in the past… idk 10 years?

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

You'll see nuts in domestic first.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Far be it from me to say nice things about United, but motherfucking stroopwaffles, man.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
Midwest Airlines and their baked on board cookies, that was the good stuff

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

It’s wild to think that short haul DC-9s at one point had ovens and everyone got meals.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Commercial airplane ownership is the biggest rat's nest of trusts and agencies and lessees and contracts and shell companies and holding corporations.
:pseudo:

I am aware of a King Air that was owned by a person and leased to an air ambulance group. Another company provided wet operation (pilots, maintenance, dispatch, fuel, etc). It had an incident where it landed with the gear up.

So the operator's insurance contacted the air ambulance's insurance. The AA insurance only covered the medical equipment inside plus medical crew, operator's insurance was just pilots and passengers (but not med crew). So the AA contacted the owner's insurance. The airframe has two engines on it, leased from an engine supplier. Each from a different owner. The left engine's propeller was provided by a propeller company on lease. The right engine was leased with prop attached.

So the hull owner's insurance has to chase down the insurance companies for each owning entity of this entire chain so they can all sort out who's doing what with what. Seven different insurance companies (operator, AA, owner, engine supplier, left engine owner, left prop owner, right engine and prop owner). That was in 2015 and last picture of the airport on gmaps still shows it where it had been bagged to get the gear down and then towed off the end of one of the taxiways. It's not like it was a write-off or anything; gear-up landings are very survivable and repairable in King Airs. Just.... paperwork.

I also bet the lav has been sitting full since then.

vessbot
Jun 17, 2005
I don't like you because you're dangerous

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I also bet the lav has been sitting full since then.

I lolled

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

The left engine's propeller was provided by a propeller company on lease. The right engine was leased with prop attached.

Amazing.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

Alaska also gave out branded Biscoffs. Not sure if they still do.

hobbesmaster posted:

It’s wild to think that short haul DC-9s at one point had ovens and everyone got meals.

I'm old enough to have flown on Piedmont and Eastern Airlines and remember smoking sections on airplanes. :corsair:

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Alaska also gave out branded Biscoffs. Not sure if they still do.

Pro move was bringing onboard a small box of Oreos.

On one flight to Orlando from Philadelphia, a passenger drew out a hoagie. With onions.
Both cohorts (the starving, and the onion haters) wanted to kill her.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm old enough to have flown on Piedmont and Eastern Airlines and remember smoking sections on airplanes. :corsair:

Last time I smoked on a flight was Aeromexico out of Mazatlan in 1991 :respek::corsair:

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

PainterofCrap posted:

On one flight to Orlando from Philadelphia, a passenger drew out a hoagie. With onions.
Both cohorts (the starving, and the onion haters) wanted to kill her.

There's a Potbelly in the A/B Concourse at Dulles, and I'll routinely get a "Wreck" to bring on board when I fly trans-con. I ask for 'light on the onions' for this precise reason. >.>

I bring a tiny insulated lunch bag with me and thankfully I've never run into an FA who says "that's a second personal item."

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Is anyone else suddenly craving a hogie right now?

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's a Potbelly in the A/B Concourse at Dulles, and I'll routinely get a "Wreck" to bring on board when I fly trans-con. I ask for 'light on the onions' for this precise reason. >.>

I bring a tiny insulated lunch bag with me and thankfully I've never run into an FA who says "that's a second personal item."

I’ve had a number of sandwiches from that Potbelly’s.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Last time I flew before Covid this mom and kid sat in front of us and proceeded to eat pickled eggs off and on for most of a 3 hour flight.

The smell was almost gaggingly nauseous, but I'm glad I wasn't with them for 3 hours after because that probably would have been worse.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I love pickled eggs. Love deviled eggs. No.

It's a major violation to bring fragrant food into an enclosed, nearly-sealed space full of people.

If I could boy-in-a-bubble it, though, an Italian hoagie from the White House in Atlantic City would be my in-flight meal of choice.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I never spotted the culprit, but some dickhead on a DAL-FLL flight popped open his loving salmon and broccoli once. At least it wasn’t freshly heated up, but dear god man, what the actual gently caress.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

MrYenko posted:

I never spotted the culprit, but some dickhead on a DAL-FLL flight popped open his loving salmon and broccoli once. At least it wasn’t freshly heated up, but dear god man, what the actual gently caress.

I see grounds for a diversion.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Note to self: consider nuisance-level organic vapor relief in respirators for future flights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Platystemon posted:

Note to self: consider nuisance-level organic vapor relief in respirators for future flights.

If you try to wear real respiratory protection they throw you off the flight though.