Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PyRosflam posted:

Small firms cant do business with these groups, if your JPMorgan, Deloitte will send its A Team, if your small cap firm X you get the C team.

I've found the even when you get the A team (for sales and start of contract) you end up with the C team eventually anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Glad I could fill out the manager survey. I have some small experience in data obfuscation, so if you need a Senior Director for Global Messaging, let me know. I might be just the disruptor you need!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Motronic posted:

I've found the even when you get the A team (for sales and start of contract) you end up with the C team eventually anyway.

There is no A team, only A people who move on.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007
The good, The bad, Im the one with the gun.

Motronic posted:

During sales, "We cant guarantee people unless you sign now" is used as a trick. Often contracts dont name people only roles so even if you sign, the Sales Engineer will go poof shortly as well.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

This seems like a good moment to bring up the multi million dollar project I was on where Accenture was hired and their project lead was an alcoholic who routinely came into work at least hung over if not still drunk.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

This seems like a good moment to bring up the multi million dollar project I was on where Accenture was hired and their project lead was an alcoholic who routinely came into work at least hung over if not still drunk.

Wow, This is fairly light for a Big 4 consultant. I recall my managers drinking almost every night and going out for 2nd and 3rd rounds then showing up fresh the next day.

This guy is going far in consulting :)

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Have y'all heard about the people who are currently being blocked from starting their new jobs until their old employer can hire replacements? In a loving AT WILL state?

https://eu.postcrescent.com/story/news/2022/01/21/what-we-know-ascension-thedacare-court-battle-over-employees/6607417001/

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

That is absolutely bonkers

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I'm trying to find out more, but it seems to be a very niche case. Most of a hospital's stroke team is leaving to form a new unit at a different hospital, and the injunction seems to be on the basis that there's a public need for stroke treatment and continuity of care.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Tibalt posted:

I'm trying to find out more, but it seems to be a very niche case. Most of a hospital's stroke team is leaving to form a new unit at a different hospital, and the injunction seems to be on the basis that there's a public need for stroke treatment and continuity of care.

That's not the former employees problem. Healthcare in the US isnt a right last I checked.

If people are too important to leave your company then you need to pay them enough that they don't.

Thedacare had the option to counteroffer to keep their employees and refused.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Jordan7hm posted:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Healthcare workers frequently have licensures tied to contracts, so that actually pre-empts a lot of the "At-Will" stuff, but yeah it is generally bonkers and I don't know what ground the court thinks it has to force this though.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

Tibalt posted:

Still not sure how this can stand, unless there was some contract or something the entire team can quit. A ruling like this means the hospital can choose not to staff the unit out of spite. If they sued this hard they may try to do this just to send a message that you can't quit or we go after you even then.

Also constitutional issues around freedom of association.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
At least on my side of (government) consulting, contracts typically are bid with a small number of key personnel. Those people's resumes are included in the bid, and are tied to that contract for the duration. Swapping them out requires the government to approve the replacement. Not filling a key position for various reasons incurs all sorts of payment penalties. However even then you're still dealing with a small fraction of the total workforce - a small contract with 20 FTEs might have two or three key personnel, and a contract with 150 FTEs might have a dozen at most. Then you add the fact that staying in the same job/position for longer than like 18 months will actively hurt your corporate career progression and yeah, you've got lots of turnover. I'm on year 3.5 of a contract for a client and I am the only person out of 12 that has been there for longer than a year. But I'm also never going to get further on corporate side so I don't really give a poo poo.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

at that point it isn't consulting, it's contract labor

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Sounds like a typical "6 month" SAP deployment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Motronic posted:

i think the shortest implementation timeframe i've seen for any of my clients to imlement just a single SAP module is like 22 months

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Kind of yeah. By virtue of my position there's long-term need here; I have an infinite amount of work. I *could* just jump ship whenever I wanted but I'm a creature of habit. Other people on my contract are brought in for specific projects that last however long - they do their job and then gently caress off.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Motronic posted:

Ha! Our 3 year implementation turned into 10. And that was after we sold off half the company.

Edit: thank you IBM consulting :rolleyes:

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
There's no mention of a contract in the article I read, and four of them gave one month of notice. (Well, one month from announcement to start at the new place, no mention of their actual quit date.) Presumably a court could rule them in breach of a contract, if one exists, but other than being questioned by company lawyers (say to document processes or validate company IP), how can a court compel labor?

A "stop work" order is possible, but this injunction mostly seems to be saying "well yeah I'm the judge but I'm not working this weekend and I don't know when I'll get to this, so I'm just gonna block any activity and clean up the mess later". (Plus the new employer will have to counter-sue for hours lost, and that means more money for the court system woohoo.)

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

Plus you can’t put A people together - A manager gets C staff because they’ll deliver anyway and A staff go with D manager since they’ll step up and then use the experience to argue for early promotion.

Seeing A managers and staff put on the same project is a good indicator of an impending shitshow.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

There's no mention of a contract in the article I read, and four of them gave one month of notice. (Well, one month from announcement to start at the new place, no mention of their actual quit date.) Presumably a court could rule them in breach of a contract, if one exists, but other than being questioned by company lawyers (say to document processes or validate company IP), how can a court compel labor?

A "stop work" order is possible, but this injunction mostly seems to be saying "well yeah I'm the judge but I'm not working this weekend and I don't know when I'll get to this, so I'm just gonna block any activity and clean up the mess later". (Plus the new employer will have to counter-sue for hours lost, and that means more money for the court system woohoo.)

So here is the trick, the judge gave the order on a Friday, and the next hearing is Monday. So even the Judge thinks this is suspect, The main argument is already highly suspect (wont have people to treat a major injury) since by blocking them from working they also cant have the new hospital do the work.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Big picture this whole thing is stupid because anyone with half a brain is going to look at it and go "oh, taking a job in medical care means literal enslavement? Guess I'll stay the hell out of that field then"

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Democratic Pirate posted:

Plus you can’t put A people together - A manager gets C staff because they’ll deliver anyway and A staff go with D manager since they’ll step up and then use the experience to argue for early promotion.

Seeing A managers and staff put on the same project is a good indicator of an impending shitshow.

This isn’t my experience at all. A people collect other A people.

From a client perspective you’ll get more of a mix for sure, because it’s a business and we have to staff in a difficult labour market, so there are going to be misses. But generally the really high performing teams are all anchored around one or two really good people who find and develop other good people.

And yeah SAP modules in less than a year is uhhhh. Good luck.

S/4 is coming, I feel for everyone about to go through the update (lol) process.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

yeah, I agree with that. A people will leave if not given the correct opportunities (basically an inevitability in most of my client's organizations), but A people generally prefer to work with competent people rather than not.

asur
Dec 28, 2012

SpartanIvy posted:

That's not the former employees problem. Healthcare in the US isnt a right last I checked.

If people are too important to leave your company then you need to pay them enough that they don't.

Thedacare had the option to counteroffer to keep their employees and refused.

The case isn't against the employees. It's against the new employer for unfair business practices. I think the old employer should get hosed in this case as the compensation appears reasonable, but it's not outlandish that this could be abused.

PyRosflam
Aug 11, 2007

asur posted:

The case isn't against the employees. It's against the new employer for unfair business practices. I think the old employer should get hosed in this case as the compensation appears reasonable, but it's not outlandish that this could be abused.

The only case I've seen work here is "Tortious Interference of Business". But this mostly only works when your talking a firm taking an active action, like Google hiring all of Apples AI researchers via poaching. However Apple AI researcher is a fairly small targeted group thats really hard to replace, while Nurse, even specialty Nurse, is not difficult as its a standardized job spec.

After that your looking at perhaps "breach of non compete", but in this case that wont apply as well. The case facts already show that 1 person got a new job, told coworkers, who all independently applied for jobs as well and then they all got about the same start date.

So to me this is only the old employer trying to send a message, because they sued the workers, not the new hospital. Now that message is really kind of scary if it succeeds because it says we're gonna ruin you if you quit. This was stopped in the past with most non competes being made mostly non-valid.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
It's also important to note that the new place did not poach all the staff from the old place. One person from the old place applied, got accepted, told their colleagues about the much much better deal they were getting, so a couple of them applied and were accepted as well, repeat for the remainder. The staff even gave the old place an opportunity to counteroffer, and the old place didn't because :downs: you are replaceable peons :downs:. So the staff left, as is their wont in a free country and all that!

The lawsuit is purely out of spite. Some worthless middle manager isn't happy that they're not a literal slavedriver and decided to throw all their toys out of the pram.

e:f,b

Tibalt posted:

Surely that care is provided at the new hospital, is it not?

Eric the Mauve posted:

Big picture this whole thing is stupid because anyone with half a brain is going to look at it and go "oh, taking a job in medical care means literal enslavement? Guess I'll stay the hell out of that field then"
:byodame: NO ONE WANTS TO WORK ANYMORE!!! :byodame:

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Jordan7hm posted:

This isn’t my experience at all. A people collect other A people.

From a client perspective you’ll get more of a mix for sure, because it’s a business and we have to staff in a difficult labour market, so there are going to be misses. But generally the really high performing teams are all anchored around one or two really good people who find and develop other good people.

And yeah SAP modules in less than a year is uhhhh. Good luck.

S/4 is coming, I feel for everyone about to go through the update (lol) process.

That’s fair. The coordinated deployment of A teams I saw in public accounting were for important new clients, and first year audits tend to be terrible even for established public companies.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

asur posted:

It's only not against the employees in the strictest sense. The injunction is to stop them from starting their new job, and specifically mentions it's because the company can't afford to lose them, while ignoring the fact that the company had every chance to compensate them more to retain them but decided not to. Their old employer is trying to force them to work at their old job by denying them the ability to work at the new job and thus collect any payment. It is reasonably shown that the new employer did not poach the employees from their competitor. Their previous employer is just incredibly uncompetitive with pay and benefits, and once one person figured it out and communicated it to the others, many more followed in leaving. I've seen it happen at every office I've worked at to some extent.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Sounds like there is a massive shortage of qualified healthcare workers. We need H1B nurses stat. Hire four of them at a time, each on a different shift so they can share one set of scrubs.

Tomfoolery
Oct 8, 2004

I like how old hospital will never be given notice ever again. They can't sue if they don't know you're leaving!

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Tomfoolery posted:

I like how old hospital will never be given notice ever again. They can't sue if they don't know you're leaving!

This would be the long-term outcome if this somehow went sideways. If anyone even decided to go into healthcare at that point lol.

There's no way this doesn't get appealed if their old employer somehow wins, right? Right???

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Salami Surgeon posted:

Sounds like there is a massive shortage of qualified healthcare workers. We need H1B nurses stat. Hire four of them at a time, each on a different shift so they can share one set of scrubs.

Hello and welcome to twenty years ago. Philippines is one of the largest sources, but there’s big backlog on applications.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Weatherman posted:

Surely that care is provided at the new hospital, is it not?

Apparently Old Hospital has a designation that requires them to maintain specific staffing levels in order to provide advanced care 24/7. New Hospital does not have this designation, so while they may do the same things, they aren't required to have the same 24/7 capability and are supposed to be able to transfer patients to Old Hospital if they get overwhelmed. With the massive healthcare worker shortage, Old Hospital has to force the nurses to work insane hours to meet the requirements, while New Hospital can offer more reasonable hours since they are held to a different standard.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Sounds like old hospital needs to staff and pay to manage their obligations and the court system should gently caress right on off on helping them to do that on a budget.

The old hospital should be the ones accountable for this. Perhaps even personal liability for people in positions of power?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Motronic posted:

Perhaps even personal liability for people in positions of power?

you're cute

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Decent video on this poo poo show

https://youtu.be/QE5mV5V-pHs

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Salami Surgeon posted:

There is, because the pay/benefits/conditions are so lovely. You see plenty of travel nurses glad to work and reaping the benefits. The solution should be to pay/provide for your current hospital staff what they’re worth and mandate nurse to patient ratios, not bring in a bunch of H1B nurses just because they will take less money to do the same lovely job. But, :lol: US healthcare system.

It’s laughable that the least paid nurses are the ones that work as a W2 staff nurse at the bedside trying to keep people alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Immigrant nurses do come in on something similar to an H1B called an EB3 Schedule A visa. They are mostly from the Philippines and are employed by staffing agencies that underpay them while charging massive amounts to hospitals.