Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
It is kinda weird that Khorne has some artillery and the Slannesh is full on Vampire Counts 'the gently caress is a projectile???' to the point that even their Soulgrinders lack a ranged attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

I completely tuned out of Total Warhammer stuff some time back, in hopes that 3 would fix the old settlement battle grind problem. I see there's a ton of gameplay footage up now. Are my hopes answered?

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Hungry posted:

I completely tuned out of Total Warhammer stuff some time back, in hopes that 3 would fix the old settlement battle grind problem. I see there's a ton of gameplay footage up now. Are my hopes answered?

All settlements now consist solely of walls.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Oops! All Siege Battles

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Hungry posted:

Minor settlements no longer have walls.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Hungry posted:

no walls for minor settlements but we're back to the Rome/Attila/Three Kingdoms thing of minor settlements having a unique map that can be fortified and has towers

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One thing I'm looking forward to is dragging out a checkerboard one battle and then never having to do it again in subsequent fights.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Mordja posted:

One thing I'm looking forward to is dragging out a checkerboard one battle and then never having to do it again in subsequent fights.

:same:

That's a huge change, and having played Battlefleet Gothic 2 recently, the lack of those kinds of features really sticks out over time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Khorne has daemon artillery with cannons.

Yes as I said no issue with Magic Weapons.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I don't care too much for LegendofTotalWar but his last Warhammer2 livestream is Throgg legendary and is going on now

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

no walls for minor settlements but we're back to the Rome/Attila/Three Kingdoms thing of minor settlements having a unique map that can be fortified and has towers

Eyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy hell yeah!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Mordja posted:

How's that? Can you save a formation now?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yes as I said no issue with Magic Weapons.

What, precisely, is the difference between a mage throwing a fireball to kill some dudes from 100 yards away and a giant penis motorcycle cannon firing a magic burning skull to kill some dudes from 100 yards away? Neither of them is really a test of strength or bloody glorifying combat.

Also if Khorne is cool with magic weapons he should be cool with magic spells that buff dudes up.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Morathi ME is so dire compared to Morathi Vortex. The Vortex start has been endlessly varied for me. It's this incredible knife fight of factions who all hate you and each other so you never know who's going to rise to power and who's coming for you. Battles are diverse with lots of different potential armies to face on the field.

ME is "and then I fought some High Elves, and then I fought some High Elves, and then I fought some High Elves, there was a Lizardmen army, and then I fought some High Elves. and then I fought some High Elves." Conquering the doughnut is incredibly samey and feels like it should be the climax of the campaign but because the climate to the south is unsuitable and they all keep declaring war on you, it ends up being the mid game. ME is this sprawling "everyone is here" map but you wouldn't know it as Morathi.

I am excited about the chaos incursions, the caravan defenses, and all the other neat event battles they seem to have in mind for enabling variety beyond which factions are nearby.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Hungry posted:

Minor settlements as a rule do not and can not get walls anymore. Instead they all get a collection of attack/defence points in a slightly mazy pathway and can build barricades and towers during the battle. This will be much much more varied than TW2 - but it will get repetitive if not as badly so.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Gort posted:

I think it just saves your last used formation, assumedly on a per-army basis.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

What, precisely, is the difference between a mage throwing a fireball to kill some dudes from 100 yards away and a giant penis motorcycle cannon firing a magic burning skull to kill some dudes from 100 yards away? Neither of them is really a test of strength or bloody glorifying combat.

Cause the Giant Motorcycle is part Daemon and spitting skulls at people. It's the same as Fire Breath a part of them.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Kanos posted:

Also if Khorne is cool with magic weapons he should be cool with magic spells that buff dudes up.

Presumably the Skullcannon has to acquire the skulls it's shooting by running people over first - they are its ammunition, after all.

Also, in most fluff Khorne generally isn't too thrilled with ranged weapons either, so the Skullcannon is more just a cool unit that GW designed to sell that doesn't entirely match up with the overall fluff they came up with. 40k is a slightly different kettle of fish, though even there melee or close range is preferred.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Khorne will tolerate ranged weapons, particularly in 40k where this comes up more (cant exactly have a space battle without huge guns), but its neither as laudable as the melee carnage he prefers nor on the level of cheating bullshit that he hates about magic.

As far as the Skullcannon goes keep in mind that it has to rip all of those skulls from somebody's head in order to fire them in the first place, they dont come with them included

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005

Zore posted:

It is kinda weird that Khorne has some artillery and the Slannesh is full on Vampire Counts 'the gently caress is a projectile???' to the point that even their Soulgrinders lack a ranged attack.

Don't need a ranged attack if you just run faster than a bullet :science:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ok Great Unclean Ones literally poop on people. 10/10 GOTY.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Can't wait for the blood DLC.

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Not just making GBS threads, making GBS threads nurglings!

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Gort posted:

Yes, apparently each army will remember its last deployment from battle to battle so once you set up an army once you're good to go.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
I did a whole Malus campaign in one session. Honestly, that was pretty tight. Starting with a Black Ark and getting 20k on turn 2 lets you get to the fun parts of the DElves right away. Also, he gets a special Rite that gives you a free hero, whose starting level is based on how many territories Malekith owns, which in my case meant I was getting level 30 heroes from around turn 30.

The goal now is to try out the last few campaigns that really benefit from the Vortex map, since they might not be as good in Ham 3. Does Throt get the same storyline in ME? If not, he's next.

also

Kazzah fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Jan 24, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
He doesn't and his campaign is very short compared to everyone else. Hell, you can cheese, har har, the final step very easily.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

I hope this doesn't awaken anything in me

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm watching Turin's Cathay Iron Dragon 50 turns playthrough and while I was initially not very interested in Cathay, now I gotta admit it looks really fun, also the starting position and mechanics involves pOgres my lord, a definite plus in my book.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Kazzah posted:

I did a whole Malus campaign in one session. Honestly, that was pretty tight. Starting with a Black Ark and getting 20k on turn 2 lets you get to the fun parts of the DElves right away. Also, he gets a special Rite that gives you a free hero, whose starting level is based on how many territories Malekith owns, which in my case meant I was getting level 30 heroes from around turn 30.

The goal now is to try out the last few campaigns that really benefit from the Vortex map, since they might not be as good in Ham 3. Does Throt get the same storyline in ME? If not, he's next.

also

The eyes should be in the skull’s eye sockets not the mouth

Khorne is a loving dumdum

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think he is very interested in the parts that aren't skull and/or blood, so I don't really expect him to be good at anatomy.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I'm getting strong SILENCE BRAND energy from this.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

OwlFancier posted:

I don't think he is very interested in the parts that aren't skull and/or blood, so I don't really expect him to be good at anatomy.

It's a skull with a representation of a skull, which is khorne's logo, on it's head. skullception.

ZoninSilver
May 30, 2011
Something I haven't seen mentioned much is that the tooltip regarding Lightning Strike now seems to imply that your army will start the battle at "winded" if used, so you're fighting like you were on forced march (but presumably without the total wipeout/no retreat penalties). Granted, a lot of the time you're singling out weaker stacks anyway, but that'll probably make them less useful in certain situations too.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I saw a Reddit post that showed Dark Elves as an enemy on an island treasure hunt battle. On one of Zerkovich’s streams, he said Dark Elves were on the map, though he didn’t say where. I assume the top-left corner?

That’s the first I’ve seen of an island battles in game 3, which seem the mostly likely way to fit Vampire Coast into the game. Maybe High Elves can show up there too.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dr Christmas posted:

I saw a Reddit post that showed Dark Elves as an enemy on an island treasure hunt battle. On one of Zerkovich’s streams, he said Dark Elves were on the map, though he didn’t say where. I assume the top-left corner?

That’s the first I’ve seen of an island battles in game 3, which seem the mostly likely way to fit Vampire Coast into the game. Maybe High Elves can show up there too.

What’s the difference

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
As a kid I always thought Khorne would be more interesting if he had cults with different takes on war/killing/rage besides "frothing berzerker." How about some disciplined stormtrooper guys, some WMD mad scientists, some berzerkers who dual-wield machine guns instead of axes?

Of course basically all chaos is constrained by needing to make plastic toys and accompanying rules archetypes of them, which kinda hampers creativity for a faction named Literally Chaos.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Does chopping/bloodletting/bloodsecrating cause a euphoria or something? Or a drug-like experience? Why do they froth about and twitch like some gibbering crackhead?

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I always assumed a part of it was the deity that had their souls was really keen on it, so you’ve got to at least pretend you are as well because Khorne seems to have the fragile temperament of a spoilt toddler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
But don't enjoy it toooooo much or you end up in Slaaneshi hands.