Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heather Papps

hello friend

yeah! we're gonna watch "Super Mario Bros.: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach!"

there's so much good art i think bfm is struggling to pick the best one. here's a little sample:

thanks Dumb Sex-Parrot and deep dish peat moss for this winter bounty!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
oh I am so hyped!!! the SMB cartoons are a very special corner of my childhood

BoldFrankensteinMir

Yes I was buried beneath a mountain of art, here is some:

Tonight we are watching Super Mario Bros: The Great Mission to Rescue Princess Peach, a 1986 anime film. I decided to show it not with posters, but with... wait for it...

Vintage phone cards!!!

Awww yeah. 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

---

But wait, there's more! I made some forums banner ads for Movie nites:

We can point these to the OP of this thread to keep them cheap, and later I'll make an explicitly merch-related one that we can get the expensive kind for. Anybody who wants to help by purchasing as many slots for these as we can get, thank you!

Sig by Heather Papps

Prof. Crocodile

finally a film that will lure putty back to byob!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Pre-feature shorts have begun, with the Super Mario Bros Super Show! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Edit- Another great Movie Nite, thanks everyone for coming!

And what a beautiful movie. This might be my new favorite era of Mario.

BoldFrankensteinMir fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 9, 2022

Sig by Heather Papps

teen witch

teen witch

(these are not mine, neither was the other but boy, if it isn’t me)

teen witch
there was also a Mario manga, and apparently they made them for a lot of the games in the 90s.

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
I did not need to be reminded of my lust for wario

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tomorrow night! January 12 at 4pm PST 7pm EST, it's Russian animation night! In addition to several favorite shorts, we'll be watching the 1981 scifi cult classic, Тайна третьей планеты (Alternately "The Secret of/The Mystery of the Third Planet"):

It looks absolutely loving bonkers so, should be fun. https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

---

Also, OP has been updated to include this list of our category ideas (I trimmed a few that didn't quite fit the format):

Current suggestions for award categories.

I'm stranded on a deserted island and this is the only movie available but its still bad.
Biggest 'wow actually this is rad' surpriser
Cheesiest special effects
Biggest gap between conception and execution
Best original song
Most pedantic nitpick
Shittiest kid
:stonk: iest moment
The most famous actor in the cast that is just needing to put their son through college, ok?
Rowdiest fight scene
Best villainous plan
Coolest animal
Most Improbable Escape from Death
Best Deus Ex Machina

Right now we are budgeted to present 5 awards. That could change if we raise a bunch of funds but we shouldn't count on it, if we pick 5 really funny categories and have 5 candidates each that's 1/4 of the total movies we watched being honored. And of course we can keep suggesting more! I'd like to have them finalized by the end of January so we can vote throughout February.

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
favorite russian shorts... could it be the Captain?????

Manifisto

replacement coupon crabbe mug arrived in one piece :woop:

it's too late for :coffeepal: but maybe I will brew up some tea later to break it in

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Manifisto posted:

replacement coupon crabbe mug arrived in one piece :woop:

it's too late for :coffeepal: but maybe I will brew up some tea later to break it in

Hooray! Thanks for your patience, may it serve many a fine cup of tea, coffee, or even *gasp* soup.

Shorts start in about an hour, and we got a bunch of 'em today because it's a very short feature. Russian animation night! Huzzah!

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

TONITE! at the regular time and place, we're going to watch

this 1954 animated film was funded by the CIA. to quote the wikipedia article "The film rights for a movie adaptation of Animal Farm were bought from Orwell's widow after she was approached by agents working for the Office of Policy Coordination (OPC), a branch of the CIA that dealt with the use of culture to combat communism."

upon discovering this fact this film became significantly more fascinating.

join us, and make sure to cross your fingers that CIA brain worms aren't being transmitted thru youtube.

SHORTS EARLY!

see you there!

Heather Papps

hello friend

pig brother is watching you

BoldFrankensteinMir

Awesome! I'm looking forward to it.

Sorry it took me a little bit but as requested here are the shorts we showed last week for Russian Animation Night 2 alongside The Mystery of the Third Planet, which was terrific. These were all great, so thanks for all the excellent recommendations!

About Hippo who was Afraid of Vaccinations
Hedgehog in the Fog
Adventures of a Little Brownie
The Little Mermaid
'N+2' and 'The Perfect Hole'
Provincial School
Slow Bistro
The Clatter Fly
Captain Pronin 2- Pronin in America

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

teen witch

YES

BoldFrankensteinMir

Animation month continues, with tonight's "legendary" cult "classic", "Killer Bean Forever!

It's a famously terrible CGI film from Jeff Lew, a special effects guy who taught himself to animate. And I mean, I respect that! But, uh, we'll see how the movie works out. Plus we'll be watching the Killer Bean shorts that led up to it, of course.

All that AND new Coupon Crab! 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Plant MONSTER.

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Nice I heard of this! I heard it wasn't bad for being one guy's thing.

BoldFrankensteinMir

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Nice I heard of this! I heard it wasn't bad for being one guy's thing.

It's funny, I've heard good and bad which is, I think, probably a sign we'll enjoy it.

Shorts have begun! https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

Sig by Heather Papps

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Animation month continues, with tonight's "legendary" cult "classic", "Killer Bean Forever!

It's a famously terrible CGI film from Jeff Lew, a special effects guy who taught himself to animate. And I mean, I respect that! But, uh, we'll see how the movie works out. Plus we'll be watching the Killer Bean shorts that led up to it, of course.

All that AND new Coupon Crab! 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies

"Vegas E. Trip" is an incredible name

BoldFrankensteinMir

I have to admit, I was impressed by Killer Bean Forever. I am not its target audience and I got real sick of looking at that one bean face over and over, but the action sequences were really fun and well done and that was clearly the point, so, well done Mr. Lew.

Of the shorts, this 1983 Japanese CGI lab's demo reel was the most amazing of some amazing stuff.

Plus, new coupon crab! Wow! Wutta movie nite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpR4jju4hew

Sig by Heather Papps

Viginti Septem

Oculus Noctuae

I have to admit, I was impressed by Killer Bean Forever. I am not its target audience and I got real sick of looking at that one bean face over and over, but the action sequences were really fun and well done and that was clearly the point, so, well done Mr. Lew.

Of the shorts, this 1983 Japanese CGI lab's demo reel was the most amazing of some amazing stuff.

Plus, new coupon crab! Wow! Wutta movie nite!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpR4jju4hew

Aw, coupon crab has grown so much. I love it

biosterous

the "coming out eventually i swear" killer bean game looks like it's gonna be a roguelike max payne? and that owns so i hope it happens

thank you saoshyant for this sig!!!
gallery of sigs

he/him

Stoner Sloth

hey folks and other cowpokes, maybe we should do a spaghetti western month sometime?

thoughts (and or prayers) pls
was thinking start with the 'the call me trinity' series starring terrence hill and bud spencer but also maybe do 'fistfull of dollars' trilogy too

Code Jockey

69420 basic bytes free

Stoner Sloth posted:

hey folks and other cowpokes, maybe we should do a spaghetti western month sometime?

thoughts (and or prayers) pls
was thinking start with the 'the call me trinity' series starring terrence hill and bud spencer but also maybe do 'fistfull of dollars' trilogy too

strong agree after talking to "me mate" here tonight and watching Fistfull of Dollars!

I can handle these, if we can't find 'em in another fashion.

BoldFrankensteinMir

So here's the thing with Spaghetti Westerns, we tried to fit them into Italian Cheese Month last year along with the peplum / sword and sandal movies.

Buuuuut.... well, the problem was that Westerns, and especially cheap European westerns from the 60's, have this tendency to get into sexual assault themes. This doesn't mean we can't show any, but it does mean we have to be super careful about picking them.

I would be totally down to do another Italian Cheese September this year, it's far enough out we could probably find 8 spaghetti westerns that are showable.

Sig by Heather Papps

Heather Papps

hello friend

i love westerns and would be absolutely down, but yes, i found it hard to find westerns that didn't involve sexual violence in some sense. hell, during italian cheese month a movie i had fairly carefully scrubbed through and thought didn't have any sex crimes in it kind of sort of did. i mentioned this in chat but it is a nice indicator of social progress that we've shifted from "these guys are bad guys because they hurt women" shorthand in film to "this guy is mean to an animal and therefor reprehensible."

also this is maybe unimportant but jeff lew is asian, which puts the jet bean situation in a whole different light, especially considering jeff voiced jet. such a weird thing. the steam page for the game makes it look fun and silly, but what a circuitous route to a multimedia franchise with such an uninspired character.

Stoner Sloth

that's fair - i hadn't considered that angle. i think that there are some spaghetti westerns that might work, one that i was thinking of last night which i think is free of that kind of stuff is 'They Call Me Trinity' which is available on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8dfQja43Ik

Heather Papps

hello friend

Stoner Sloth posted:

that's fair - i hadn't considered that angle. i think that there are some spaghetti westerns that might work, one that i was thinking of last night which i think is free of that kind of stuff is 'They Call Me Trinity' which is available on you tube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8dfQja43Ik

okay we need to watch this now. from wikipedias plot description: "Trinity is about to be happily married to the two Mormon sisters when he learns that being a married Mormon means actually having to work, causing him to hurry after Bambino, who angrily sends him off in the opposite direction"

this one... this is special.

BoldFrankensteinMir

I think we saw a trailer for it at one point. I'm totally down.

While we're on the subject of theme months, is everybody still cool with Film Noir February? And I'm thinking Valentine's Day marathon...

Sig by Heather Papps

Leraika

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I love film noir so I'm very down.

Robot Made of Meat

Leraika posted:

I love film noir so I'm very down.

Try watching something in color -- maybe it'll cheer you up!

Oh.

Umm.

Never mind!

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

BoldFrankensteinMir

Tonight we're gonna watch the Thief and the Cobbler: Recobbled Cut!

In case you haven't heard, the Thief and the Cobbler is the unfinished masterpiece of Richard Williams, the master animator behind, among others, Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It was in and out of production hell for 30 years and is legendary both as a highly ambitious film and also a cautionary tale about overreaching- but there's also lots of great stories about how this Recobbled Cut was put together by editor Garret Gilchrist from archival sources in 2013 (after a couple previous restorations too). I have hear some goons worked on it too but I can't confirm that presently.

If you haven't seen any version of The Thief and the Cobbler or even if you have, come check this out as it is as close to a definitive cut of this gem of animation history as we're probably ever going to get. 4pm PST 7pm EST at https://cytu.be/r/BYOBmovies see you there!

Sig by Heather Papps

your friend sk

(ヤイケス!)

i present to the academy for consideration:

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought

Join the BYOB Army

thank you again Saoshyant!!

BoldFrankensteinMir

your friend sk posted:

i present to the academy for consideration:

The Sen. Joseph McCarthy Award for Excellence in Unamerican Thought

I love it. And it's not even niche, I can think of a couple good candidates already.

Shorts have been going for a half hour already!? Wow!

Sig by Heather Papps

Manifisto

just popping in to say that last night's movie was outstanding, an excellent choice bfm! not that we have any shortage of excellent choices for movie night.

ty nesamdoom!

BoldFrankensteinMir

It was good! And our thanks belong to Heather Papps who suggested it, thanks HP!

Sig by Heather Papps

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifisto

It was good! And our thanks belong to Heather Papps who suggested it, thanks HP!

my apologies hp and thanks! because bfm announced it I assumed it was his choice, something something assume rear end etc.