Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

Oh this is an interesting deleted scene. I don't know where it could have fit in Hawkeye, but it's possibly the best thing shot with this character. The black suit placing it correctly in the timeline before the Netflix show means they're really paying attention to the canon.

https://twitter.com/marclestrange1/status/1484041232955359234?s=21
My only Marvel nostalgia are some of the cartoons when I was a kid. I don't remember anything that happened in any of them, but for some reason I thought that Kingpin was the most terrifying Spiderman villain. Like, in my childhood mind he was the Spiderman villain. The rest of those villains flying around had powers, but Kingpin had power, and that felt significant to me. I was always surprised that he wasn't in any of those Spiderman movies (until Into the Spiderverse, which was great). I honestly paid so little attention to this stuff until recently that I had no idea he was more of a Daredevil villain these days, or that he was in the Daredevil TV show.

So after he showed up in Hawkeye with such an ominous powerful presence, I had to watch Daredevil and all the Netflix stuff. This Kingpin made that show. He's incredible. He comes off like a comic book character, but still just exudes power and authority. I'm glad they're keeping that version of him around.

Desperado Bones posted:

I hope they didn't kill the character for real, they probably didn't, because holyshit D'Onofrio is loving great and it would be a monumental waste of talent.
I thought I read here that he survived that exact encounter with Echo in the comics, right? It makes so little sense to bring back such a cool character and then just kill them off, so it never occurred to me that that's what they were actually doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Media literacy has been completely eroded, and people are still asking if a character killed off screen is actually dead… in a show about comic book superheroes…

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Dude had already survived being shot, run over and blown up with half a dozen different types of elemental damage at once. If anyone died in that encounter it would have been Maya, and since she's getting her own series, I'm guessing not.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Bust Rodd posted:

Media literacy has been completely eroded, and people are still asking if a character killed off screen is actually dead… in a show about comic book superheroes…

Thanks for the insult. I guess.

It's also a series of shows that have taken some big liberties with the material. I do know the chances of kingpin being alive are high but so are the chances they go full wandavision...at least I would get to see a massive internet meltdown. :lol:

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Go full Wandavision as in what, exactly? That show didn’t kill anybody, in fact it even brought Vision back to life!… Twice!!!

Actually that raises a pretty good question, which is “where the gently caress is Nu-Vision”??

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Bust Rodd posted:

Go full Wandavision as in what, exactly? That show didn’t kill anybody, in fact it even brought Vision back to life!… Twice!!!

Actually that raises a pretty good question, which is “where the gently caress is Nu-Vision”??

You know what, I'm just coming out of being sick and coughing my lungs out, so I'm kinda drowsy-tired so I explained myself badly lol. But it's the whole quicksilver fiasco. I think my analogy was oddly wrong.

I'm putting my bets that white vision will appear in Dr. Strange, maybe in an after credits scene.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I'm not surprised that Loki is the most liked but I am surprised that What If? is the lowest rated

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

What If? had some pretty bad episodes, and some that didn't land. It figures to happen with a series like that.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The least liked episode was Party Thor, which I thought was pretty fun. Killmonger I sorta get, I suppose. Not liking Captain Carter is also like... I GET where some of the hate is coming from (chuds) but it was a great episode overall.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
What If was a) an anthology show, b) an animation and c) the least essential of the lot. Not a surprise it'd rate last.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Eiba posted:

I thought I read here that he survived that exact encounter with Echo in the comics, right? It makes so little sense to bring back such a cool character and then just kill them off, so it never occurred to me that that's what they were actually doing.
Echo's introductory arc in the comics was pretty much exactly the same backstory/sequence of events as in Hawkeye, with the except that Ronin didn't exist yet so instead it was Echo being fed false information that Daredevil was responsible for her father's death.

In the course of trying to kill Daredevil, she learned the truth (that Kingpin had been behind her father's death) and yeah, she confronted Kingpin and shot him, blinding him but not killing him.

Kingpin has a long rich history of getting gravely injured and/or retiring from crime and/or having his whole power structure stripped away from him, and then just getting better and being back on top of the underworld. He retired to live a quiet life in Japan back in the 1970s (and again in the 2000s), he was arrested for a billion crimes, jumped bail and was forced to hide out living in the sewers in the 1990s not that long after installing a puppet politician he controlled as NYC's mayor.

The modern (21st Century at least) arc of the character is that he was blinded by Echo, survived but then was assassinated literally Caesar-style by his backstabbing lieutenants, his body was thrown into the river, he survived, healed up hiding out in Europe, came back and killed all his lieutenants, got beaten into a coma by Daredevil and sent to prison.

Then he turned state's witness against Daredevil, got put into the same cellblock as Daredevil because the FBI wanted them to kill each other, got shot up trying to kill Daredevil/escape. Turned state's witness a second time during Civil War. Unconnected from his collaboration with the government, arranged an assassination attempt on Spider-Man but killed Aunt May instead*, got beaten into another coma while still in jail by Spider-Man who broke into jail with the intention of killing him. Later broke out of jail and retired to Europe, but came back and took over the Hand, reestablishing his crimelord/ninja master status. But then was apparently killed when Spider-Man* destroyed his entire organization to drive the Hand out of NYC.

But the corpse found by authorities was a body double and Kingpin was off trying to take over crime in San Francisco. That ended when Daredevil beat him into a coma again and left him to be arrested by the FBI.

He got better/got out of jail and came back to New York and took over organized crime yet again, and got himself elected Mayor.* Now he's trying to kill/imprison all superheroes in preparation to run for President of the United States using Kilgrave's mind control power that he literally beat out of him.

I don't know what the point of all of this is, except that he is not going to be written out by an off-screen gunshot.

Edge & Christian fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 22, 2022

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Oasx posted:

Kristen Bell as Invisible Woman.

Ted Danson for VVD

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
D'Arcy Carden for H.E.R.B.I.E.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I've said it before but Michael Shannon as Doom, just having the eyes showing would be enough.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

twistedmentat posted:

I've said it before but Michael Shannon as Doom, just having the eyes showing would be enough.

Michael Shannon also meets my criteria.

My criteria is “can this actor speak in caps lock”

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pik_d posted:

The least liked episode was Party Thor, which I thought was pretty fun. Killmonger I sorta get, I suppose. Not liking Captain Carter is also like... I GET where some of the hate is coming from (chuds) but it was a great episode overall.

I think that's unfair, and there's been a good few complaints in this thread alone that the episode was fun but felt superfluous because it was literally just a cliffnotes version of Captain America: The First Avenger with Peggy in Caps place, and didn't really do anything interesting with the change in protagonist. I think the episode was fun, and that's all I really want out of What If...?, which is probably why it and Party Thor are two of my favorite episodes, but that's the thing with What If...?; different people will like different parts of it, because everyone wants different things out of the show, or has different tastes. That pick'n'mix flavoring means everyone will love some bits and be indifferent on some others, which nets it a more average score overall.

I'm sure chuds are responsible for some of the Captain Carter hate, but it's hardly the only reason someone could dislike the episode.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
What's another reason someone would hate the episode?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Darko posted:

Wait what? Okay now Im convinced to watch this.

Fair warning, Elementary isn't Sherlock. Unlike Andrew Scott's version of the character, Dormer's Moriarty isn't going to show up in practically every loving episode (Thank God). Which she does show (or at least when her character looms over the narrative, it's very much a "poo poo gets real" moment for everybody.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What I've seen of Elementary was a pretty good procedural.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pile of brown posted:

What's another reason someone would hate the episode?

I literally just gave a reason that's been voiced fairly often in this thread: that the episode was boring because it was just doing a find/replace with Peggy instead of Steve and didn't actually do anything fresh with the premise.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

tsob posted:

I literally just gave a reason that's been voiced fairly often in this thread: that the episode was boring because it was just doing a find/replace with Peggy instead of Steve and didn't actually do anything fresh with the premise.

yeah but thats just not true, Peggy was a better soldier than Cap and ALSO Steve as Iron Man was sick as gently caress, it was fairly creative with a simple premise

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

tsob posted:

That was my issue with it

It was almost exactly just Cap 1 with the places swapped

The only real difference was the whole Hydra Stomper proto-Iron Man suit

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

tsob posted:

Being bored is equivalent to hatred now?

FlamingLiberal posted:

That was my issue with it

It was almost exactly just Cap 1 with the places swapped

The only real difference was the whole Hydra Stomper proto-Iron Man suit

There also was the entire plot of the episode with hydra summoning Shuma-Gorath which I definitely don't remember from captain America 1

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

pile of brown posted:

Being bored is equivalent to hatred now?

When a rating of 7/10 apparently indicates hate, then yeah, being bored seems equivalent to hate.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Arist posted:

What I've seen of Elementary was a pretty good procedural.

Probably the high points on Sherlock might have been higher than Elementary reached, but the low points were way lower. While some episodes of Elementary were better than others, I never saw a bad episode of the show. With Sherlock maybe a good third of the entire run of the show had me thinking, "Well, that's 90 minutes of my life I'm never getting back."

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Watson gets to do things and be smart on Elementary

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Everyone posted:

Probably the high points on Sherlock might have been higher than Elementary reached, but the low points were way lower. While some episodes of Elementary were better than others, I never saw a bad episode of the show. With Sherlock maybe a good third of the entire run of the show had me thinking, "Well, that's 90 minutes of my life I'm never getting back."

Ooof. Thanks for the reminder that last season of Sherlock was an absolute mess. :cripes:

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Desperado Bones posted:

Ooof. Thanks for the reminder that last season of Sherlock was an absolute mess. :cripes:

Honestly, it wasn't just the last season. Probably the second season was overall the best. The first season had an okay first episode, a phenomenal third episode and then that weir Yellow Peril thing for the second episode. In the third season, the first episode was also kind of dire, the second season at Watson wedding was just great and probably my favorite of the series. As for the third episode of season three...

First season Elementary did its own take on the Charles Augustus Milverton story. In this one, Milverton was blackmailing families by threatening to release videos of their daughters' date rapes onto the internet. See how easy it was to establish Milverton as evil just from that? No licking. No pissing into fireplaces. There was even room to make him a cat-lover and guy with a mean sense of humor.

That said, Yasmine Akram was great as Janine and I really missed her going forward.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
If you folks haven’t watched H Bomb’s Sherlock dissection about how it’s bad and Stephen Moffet has basically ruined British TV the same way Joss Whedon has ruined American movies, it’s amazing. His central thesis is that ACD’s original Sherlock stories were mysteries written in order to make the reader feel smart and engaged with the mystery, solving it along with Sherlock. Cumberbatch’s Sherlock works differently, and he solves all the mysteries using information the audience doesn’t have. Probably my favorite of his videos because it helped me isolate what I hate about these types of “right around the corner is something exciting!” types of storytelling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkoGBOs5ecM

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Nah I'm good not watching a 2 hour video about why someone doesn't like a TV show

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

kazil posted:

Nah I'm good not watching a 2 hour video about why someone doesn't like a TV show

People say this and then go on to read far more than two hours' worth of threads for shows they don't like

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
Matt Berry as Doom.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Rarity posted:

What If was a) an anthology show, b) an animation and c) the least essential of the lot. Not a surprise it'd rate last.

Yeah, I generally avoid all Marvel animation because they tend to be way worse than DCs animations. It's been weirdly consistent this way since Batman TAS.

I saw What If, but it didn't change my opinion on this. Harley Quinn is like 10x better for a concurrently running comparison.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

superLINUS posted:

Matt Berry as Doom.

I also had this thought, and I gotta say if we're looking for people who can SPEAK IN ALL CAPS, he fits the bill

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Thundercracker posted:

Yeah, I generally avoid all Marvel animation because they tend to be way worse than DCs animations. It's been weirdly consistent this way since Batman TAS.

I saw What If, but it didn't change my opinion on this. Harley Quinn is like 10x better for a concurrently running comparison.

Just a quick sidebar I don’t care at all about DC and don’t bother watching any of it show or movie-wise but holy poo poo the Harley Quinn show is phenomenal and one of my absolute favorite shows.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

XboxPants posted:

I also had this thought, and I gotta say if we're looking for people who can SPEAK IN ALL CAPS, he fits the bill

We need someone who also has the necessary pompousness and gravitas who seems smart but can really loose his mind in anger.
Something like a god. A golden god.
Glen Howerton for Doom!

In fact split the whole Sunny gang up into the roles.
Charly Day as Johnny, Rob McEherelly as the Thing, Kaitlin Olson as Sue and if they can get him DeVito as Reed.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

cant cook creole bream posted:

We need someone who [...] seems smart but can really loose his mind in anger.

Brennan Lee Mulligan as Dr. Doom?

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

My favorite thing about the last season of the BBC Sherlock is that it was so wretched that super fans had themselves convinced there was a secret fourth episode that would fix all the problems. The things they didn’t like would be fake, the Johnlock ship would be revealed as true, just wild stuff.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Thundercracker posted:

I need to watch Harley Quinn, the clips I've seen on youtube are loving hilarious.

And...Hit Monkey is currently Marvel's best animation, in my opinion. And when I say best, I mean the one with the best story. I'm still baffled they lowered the frames in some scenes.

Edit:

Jet Jaguar posted:

My favorite thing about the last season of the BBC Sherlock is that it was so wretched that super fans had themselves convinced there was a secret fourth episode that would fix all the problems. The things they didn’t like would be fake, the Johnlock ship would be revealed as true, just wild stuff.

Welcome to any other fandom!!
We got angry fans, headcanons and death threats!

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
I feel the cold hand of death on my shoulder.

I had no idea who the actor that shows up during the Eternals end credits was, but recognized the character he was playing.

Just now, months later, I read an article mentioning his potential second appearance in Guardians 3 and recognized the name.

Googling his name literally brings up an article listing him as one of the 10 most famous people in the world under 30.

Time to start yelling at kids to stay off my lawn.

Not getting more specific, just in case some people still want to go in to 4-month old Eternals end credit scenes blind.

I also just realized that Blade was in Eternals and is rumored to be in Moon Knight. There doesn't seem to be any proof, but the same places leaked/nailed Kingpin, Quicksilver, and the multiple Spideys months before they came out, so they have a good track record.