Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

kitten emergency posted:

do you agree with this statement: “the right of these seven individuals to make more money outweighs the right of people who may need their care in the next 90 days to live”

the right of these seven individuals to determine when and how to sell their labor outweighs their previous employer’s attempts at punitive action via the legal system in a “right to work” state

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Blinkz0rz posted:

the right of these seven individuals to determine when and how to sell their labor outweighs their previous employer’s attempts at punitive action via the legal system in a “right to work” state

you can’t just handwave away the human factors and effects, this isn’t a perfectly frictionless spherical cow.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

that elephant came from a right to work jungle and had every right to leave for a better paying job at the circus

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

raminasi posted:

their argument is completely cogent. the disagreement is over whether the correct immediate “remedy” for this acute manifestation of a lovely health care labor system is capital continuing to abuse labor or some stroke victims probably dying. nobody should be happy with either outcome.

that part yes, the techbro ip theft is not

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

mediaphage posted:

that part yes, the techbro ip theft is not

it was a stretch (I even said it was earlier!) because someone brought up noncompetes

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

kitten emergency posted:

you can’t just handwave away the human factors and effects, this isn’t a perfectly frictionless spherical cow.

you certainly are by not acknowledging that thedacare is de facto imprisoning these employees in their old job by preventing them from assuming their new one

i asked about what would happen if they all went to another hospital or just decided to quit entirely because the reality is we would likely see another injunction against them leaving before the arbitrary 90 day window is up

thedacare owns this and if they can’t live up to their responsibilities to their patients that’s on them, not seven employees that they poo poo on enough times to cause them all to want to leave

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
absolutely loving shocking to hear someone argue that a company not paying its employees enough means it's the employees part of that company's patients suffer. completely loving wild broke brained thinking.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
truism: the health care system is hosed up and needs reformation

another truism: the way to do this such that it is effective and helpful is definitely to not start from the bottom up and drag the bottom of the pyramid into court. let's sue the poo poo out of some CEOs before we start waving injunctions at loving laborers

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

Jonny 290 posted:

let's sue the poo poo out of some CEOs

yes, "sue"

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Blinkz0rz posted:

you certainly are by not acknowledging that thedacare is de facto imprisoning these employees in their old job by preventing them from assuming their new one

i asked about what would happen if they all went to another hospital or just decided to quit entirely because the reality is we would likely see another injunction against them leaving before the arbitrary 90 day window is up

thedacare owns this and if they can’t live up to their responsibilities to their patients that’s on them, not seven employees that they poo poo on enough times to cause them all to want to leave

but they aren’t, as we’ve discussed many times, “imprisoning them in their old jobs” because from the evidence at hand they did indeed quit as of Friday.

if we were talking about something completely different then yeah I’d probably have a different opinion, but we can’t really discuss things if we’re talking about what actually happened vs. what we think actually happened or what our headcanon of a situation is.

the injunction is not against them, it’s against their new employer. this isn’t a distinction without difference even if you don’t like it. if the injunction was against them, personally, by name, I would agree with you completely that it’s unjustified and unconstitutional (and also illegal), but it’s not.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i do appreciate that someone is deviles advocating to death the possibility of going "people are dying" to motivate everything and anything stupid from here.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
only an argument if there is a wide range of opportunities for them after Previous Job. I assume this is an extremely specialized field and they didn't slap an injunction on one of the eight other opportunities they have in town. if that other place is their only reasonable destination without relocating or something like that, it's de facto forced labor.

it'd be like if walmart moved into a small town and made all the quitting employeees sign a noncompete saying they can't work at the other retail grocery store in town. What the gently caress else are they going to do?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Jonny 290 posted:

only an argument if there is a wide range of opportunities for them after Previous Job. I assume this is an extremely specialized field and they didn't slap an injunction on one of the eight other opportunities they have in town. if that other place is their only reasonable destination without relocating or something like that, it's de facto forced labor.

it'd be like if walmart moved into a small town and made all the quitting employeees sign a noncompete saying they can't work at the other retail grocery store in town. What the gently caress else are they going to do?

yes if this thing was like something it isn’t at all, it’d be different. cmon man.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

like this isn’t me trying to be all “hard truths for hard times” but how the gently caress do some of y’all square posting about how we’re going to need command economies and poo poo to stave off climate change but effortlessly pivot to “well it’s their rights!” in a case where there’s a blindingly clear moral argument about the needs of the many. you think we’re just gonna Minecraft all the CEOs and politicians and things will just sorta work themselves out?

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

yes if this thing was like something it isn’t at all, it’d be different. cmon man.

like the corporate espionage whatever you were talking about earlier?

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
holding people hostage in lovely jobs by saying "but what about the babies that will die if you quiiiiiiiit" is extreme emotional abuse and the exact end goal of the lovely hosed up system they have built. that's it. im done discussing this poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

kitten emergency posted:

like this isn’t me trying to be all “hard truths for hard times” but how the gently caress do some of y’all square posting about how we’re going to need command economies and poo poo to stave off climate change but effortlessly pivot to “well it’s their rights!” in a case where there’s a blindingly clear moral argument about the needs of the many. you think we’re just gonna Minecraft all the CEOs and politicians and things will just sorta work themselves out?

precisely because collective solutions have some hope of achieving something, where whining about and shaming people for individual actions is very much in the realm of the enemies of collective solutions. your argument falls into the same category as "you can just send the irs a check if you love taxes so much". i'd also be very surprised if you couldn't save dozens of people yourself donating all your assets to african charities, but i don't argue you should, because arguing that is not really a solution.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

kitten emergency posted:

absent building a time machine, in this specific circumstance, how should this goal be achieved

the hospital that is about to lose all its employees should say "we are currently offering $10,000 a day for nurses to come and work at our place, getting on a plane tonight and starting tomorrow morning, until we can fill the positions with permanent staff." i guarantee that will solve their staffing problem.

they are using the fact that people will die if they don't do this to try and guilt people into doing the work for free, because they don't want to pay what it's going to cost to fix it. that's literally all that is going on here.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Quitting your lovely job is good and everyone should be able to do it. If the places needs employees that badly maybe make it not lovely to work there so people voluntarily choose to do it. or just ban them from working anywhere else

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

the hospital that is about to lose all its employees should say "we are currently offering $10,000 a day for nurses to come and work at our place, getting on a plane tonight and starting tomorrow morning, until we can fill the positions with permanent staff." i guarantee that will solve their staffing problem.

they are using the fact that people will die if they don't do this to try and guilt people into doing the work for free, because they don't want to pay what it's going to cost to fix it. that's literally all that is going on here.

this.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

precisely because collective solutions have some hope of achieving something, where whining about and shaming people for individual actions is very much in the realm of the enemies of collective solutions. your argument falls into the same category as "you can just send the irs a check if you love taxes so much". i'd also be very surprised if you couldn't save dozens of people yourself donating all your assets to african charities, but i don't argue you should, because arguing that is not really a solution.

I’m not shaming the people involved for getting better jobs, my point is - and always has been - that under the circumstances this isn’t some sort of insane outcome, or that it’s “chud judge forcing people to work at old jobs for temerity of finding new ones” that others have claimed. the court is mediating between two parties. there’s a million other things that could have, or should have happened. that said, they didn’t, and if your counter argument is “well the workers individual right to sell their labor trumps all other considerations” then I don’t think that’s a really great argument, and that it’s pretty fygm.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Sagebrush posted:

a good sagebrush post

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

you’re just making up the “work for free” stuff sagebrush, there’s nothing anywhere that indicates that.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

work for wages that won’t support my family and work for free are indistinguishable

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kitten emergency posted:

you’re just making up the “work for free” stuff sagebrush, there’s nothing anywhere that indicates that.

lmao

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kitten. i like u and ur posting. but please just take the L here. just stop responding and let the thread move on.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

also, how do the “well stopping them from working at another nearby place is basically slavery because they can’t move” arguments possibly square with “they could pay ten thousand dollars a day for temps” one, are people just going to appear out of the aether then leave? why does labor market elasticity only work in one direction here

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

The Fool posted:

work for wages that won’t support my family and work for free are indistinguishable

again, you’re making stuff up.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

kitten emergency posted:

also, how do the “well stopping them from working at another nearby place is basically slavery because they can’t move” arguments possibly square with “they could pay ten thousand dollars a day for temps” one, are people just going to appear out of the aether then leave? why does labor market elasticity only work in one direction here

YOU'RE SO CLOSE gently caress

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

kitten emergency posted:

I normally never post here despite reading here a lot but holy poo poo dude I think you would rather wage a war than take an L.

Simply put, 2 wrongs don't make a right. It's not right what's happening to these workers, but it's not right to punish them for trying to improve their quality of life.

Yes it's unfortunate that there might be collateral damage here from people not getting help, but that doesn't

1) Automatically make it the "less moral choice" or whatever and
2) Doesn't automatically mean these workers (and anyone defending them) are taking this hard line libertarian FYGM attitude. That is bad faith arguing my dude.

We can all agree Thedacare is at fault here but changing them is not on the table in this specific instance.

I fully expect you to nonuple down now.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

kitten emergency is definitely an overpaid hospital administrative employee

Berkshire Hunts
Nov 5, 2009

kitten emergency posted:

but they aren’t, as we’ve discussed many times, “imprisoning them in their old jobs” because from the evidence at hand they did indeed quit as of Friday.

oh, word? well it’s a good thing the patients at that hospital won’t die since their old employer isn’t missing any nurses. You can’t argue this is about patient health outcomes if the outcome in either case is “those nurses don’t work there anymore” you complete ninny. also still waiting for you to respond to the guy that posted that these hospitals are three miles away from each other in a city of 25k

get a new loving bit or get the gently caress out

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

mediaphage posted:

shut the gently caress up you bootlicker, you come back all of a sudden agreeing that the hospital should be penalized but you still clearly don't give a gently caress about labour.

also, what the poster above said

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

sure okay posted:

I normally never post here despite reading here a lot but holy poo poo dude I think you would rather wage a war than take an L.

Simply put, 2 wrongs don't make a right. It's not right what's happening to these workers, but it's not right to punish them for trying to improve their quality of life.

Yes it's unfortunate that there might be collateral damage here from people not getting help, but that doesn't

1) Automatically make it the "less moral choice" or whatever and
2) Doesn't automatically mean these workers (and anyone defending them) are taking this hard line libertarian FYGM attitude. That is bad faith arguing my dude.

We can all agree Thedacare is at fault here but changing them is not on the table in this specific instance.

I fully expect you to nonuple down now.

no, you’re right, and I agree that it’s a tragic circumstance where someone is going to get hurt irrespective. even if I think that the court is minimizing harm to the community, it’s obviously doing so in an unjust way.

reasonable people can disagree about whose harms weigh more, i think the court decided that the potential harms to the community they served outweighed the personal harms to the employees. i hope they can all find justice - I certainly don’t think they’re the bad actors here.

i apologize for broadly tarring people who disagreed with my take libertarians/fygm-ites, but I do hope that you appreciate that you should take the time to consider an issue and recognize your biases and that you can separate the immediate situation from its systemic cause.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Berkshire Hunts posted:

oh, word? well it’s a good thing the patients at that hospital won’t die since their old employer isn’t missing any nurses. You can’t argue this is about patient health outcomes if the outcome in either case is “those nurses don’t work there anymore” you complete ninny. also still waiting for you to respond to the guy that posted that these hospitals are three miles away from each other in a city of 25k

I’m just going with what both hospitals said, my man, we went through the part of the thread where nobody bothered googling this like seven pages ago. (also they’re different levels of trauma center, theda has 24/7 coverage and the other doesn’t)

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

kitten emergency posted:

i apologize for broadly tarring people who disagreed with my take libertarians/fygm-ites, but I do hope that you appreciate that you should take the time to consider an issue and recognize your biases and that you can separate the immediate situation from its systemic cause.

lol gently caress you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there’s no such thing as a labor shortage, just a shortage in what employers feel like spending

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

SmokaDustbowl posted:

lol gently caress you

grow up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Berkshire Hunts posted:

You can’t argue this is about patient health outcomes if the outcome in either case is “those nurses don’t work there anymore” you complete ninny.