Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

wezmon posted:

Oh man, I feel pretty dumb for this one. There's a cool looking spy game that's been sitting in my Steam backlog forever called Invisible Inc. I just thought "might be time to finally give this a go" , and then it hit me...

"Oooohh, Invisible INK!"

Goddamnit.

Is that the side scrolling Cold War one? If so that game kicks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Ecuador is called that because it's on the equator.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Organza Quiz posted:

I'm awfully tempted to refer to it as Republic of the Equator now, that's very pulp sci-fi

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

pik_d posted:

Well it's not like anyone lives on Endor* to give it a more official name. It only makes sense that the inhabitants of Endor** give a name to Endor***.

*the planet
**the moon

I can't believe you did a recursive footnote. What is this, House of Leaves?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Philippe posted:

That's not recursive though, just a simple footnote redirect

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Organza Quiz posted:

Literal translations of country names are a hoot, some of my favourites are Benin (Land Of Argument), Nauru (We Go To The Beach), Azerbaijan (Protected By Fire), Bhutan (Land Of The Thunder Dragon) and Senegal (Our Canoe)

Here's a handy page: https://finty.com/au/research/world-map-literal-translation-country-names/

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

verbal enema posted:

Is that the side scrolling Cold War one? If so that game kicks rear end

Invisible Inc is an isometric turn-based game, you're thinking of CounterSpy

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Organza Quiz posted:

In contrast, the Equator does not pass through Equatorial Guinea.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Platystemon posted:

In contrast, the Equator does not pass through Equatorial Guinea.

'Guinea' is a generic term meaning 'black people'. There's a lot of countries with names that mean "Hey there's black people here" thanks to Spain and Portugal dividing up the entire world in the 1494 Treaty of Tordesillas and then sailing around to every place they could and randomly naming half of them. World maps have always been crazy racist.

Papua New Guinea pretty much translates to "Hey there's also black people here but the have really frizzy hair"
https://www.jstor.org/stable/27864458

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

'Guinea' is a generic term meaning 'black people'.

Always thought it meant Italians

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Guinea was commonly used as a slur against Italians from Southern Italy + Sicily, who often had a darker complexion than people from the North (hence they were "black").

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

exquisite tea posted:

Guinea was commonly used as a slur against Italians from Southern Italy + Sicily, who often had a darker complexion than people from the North (hence they were "black").

“Now if that’s a fact, tell me: am I lying?”

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Philippe posted:

They didn't break the tables so....

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Torquemada posted:

“Now if that’s a fact, tell me: am I lying?”

lol

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Here's one.

Cobbled streets?

Is it only the UK that has a yen for murdering the elderly each winter and making entire high streets completely inaccessible for wheelchair users or is this a global thing?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They have them in Prague too, I was amazed at the skill Czech women had in walking easily in stilettos on cobbled streets.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

learnincurve posted:

Here's one.

Cobbled streets?

Is it only the UK that has a yen for murdering the elderly each winter and making entire high streets completely inaccessible for wheelchair users or is this a global thing?

Nope, you can still find them in some places in the states, although they're probably less common. Sometimes you even get the best of both worlds, where they've been paved over but the pavement is in such lovely condition that half the street is worn down to the cobblestone underneath! :911:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In Rochester NY we get potholes so bad you sometimes see brick

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Captain Hygiene posted:

Nope, you can still find them in some places in the states, although they're probably less common. Sometimes you even get the best of both worlds, where they've been paved over but the pavement is in such lovely condition that half the street is worn down to the cobblestone underneath! :911:

"These potholes are garbage why don't they fix them?"

*Votes no on all taxes that would go to roads*

:911:

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
I don't know if this fits the spirit of the thread, but for a long time I've seen the Toyota truck or whatever labeled "4Runner" and I've casually asked people what that meant, but nobody has ever actually had an answer. I guess I also never asked a truck person.

I always thought it was like a phonetic play on words, like "foreigner", or maybe a fun way of writing "forerunner", and if not that then maybe the 4 implied like 4 wheel drive, like it was a four-runner?

According to Toyota’s FAQ archive, it's a portmanteau of "four-wheel drive" and "off-road runner". That is an exceptionally convoluted and somehow lazy portmanteau, somehow even less interesting than what I had guessed. I didn't expect to be disappointed by something so trivial, and yet I am :\

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
drat, that is stupid. If I were toyota I would have just kept my mouth shut

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

somepartsareme posted:

Invisible Inc is an isometric turn-based game, you're thinking of CounterSpy

Ah well

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
I think since this is the SA forums, we can all safely assume the name of the vehicle is racist.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

The 4Runningdown 4Runners

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Milkshake truck'd

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
A play on "forerunner" must be a part of it. That they are trying to convey the idea that it's a 4 wheel-drive vehicle that runs places with a pun seems like the most likely thing.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's obviously a pun on forerunner, whoever at Toyota said otherwise probably wasn't even alive when it was named.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
I'm still amused that they thought putting "TRD" on their vehicles was a good idea

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Endor was the name of the doctor

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Ok, I didn't figure it out but looked it up.

I went looking for what the original of the pizza song is. You know, this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeUbnpv4xI

Not speaking Italian, the only lyrics of it I know are something that sounds like "funiculee, funicula". I've sometimes mused that that sounds a lot like "funicular", which is that cable-car like thingy. I figured it was from an opera or something.

It turns out it's not from an opera, it is actually called "Funiculì, Funiculà", and it was written to "commemorate the opening of the first funicular railway on Mount Vesuvius"!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funicul%C3%AC,_Funicul%C3%A0

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

christmas boots posted:

Endor was the name of the doctor

It's actually the name of the game.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Hyperlynx posted:

It turns out it's not from an opera, it is actually called "Funiculì, Funiculà", and it was written to "commemorate the opening of the first funicular railway on Mount Vesuvius"!

Oh, huh. I knew the name of it but I absolutely would've guessed it was from an opera. I wouldn't have known what a funicular railway was either.

Kantesu
Apr 21, 2010
I think I only became aware of the word funicular while playing Psychonauts 2, and I've kept seeing it come up in weird contexts since.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Funiculars are fun and icular.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Kantesu posted:

I think I only became aware of the word funicular while playing Psychonauts 2, and I've kept seeing it come up in weird contexts since.

Speaking of which: if anyone can figure out what the hell the point was in putting in a part of a game where the player just has to sit and wait for the funicular to go up the mountain, please do post it ITT

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Hunting too many animals in Oregon Trail tanks the population endgame.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Which is weird to me since you're travelling hundreds of miles west but

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Hyperlynx posted:

Ok, I didn't figure it out but looked it up.

I went looking for what the original of the pizza song is. You know, this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoeUbnpv4xI

Not speaking Italian, the only lyrics of it I know are something that sounds like "funiculee, funicula". I've sometimes mused that that sounds a lot like "funicular", which is that cable-car like thingy. I figured it was from an opera or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z99ajcyaeyo

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Hyperlynx posted:

Speaking of which: if anyone can figure out what the hell the point was in putting in a part of a game where the player just has to sit and wait for the funicular to go up the mountain, please do post it ITT

It's the one place where you use the pin that makes the time bubble speed things up instead of slowing it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Long underwear isn't just an extra layer of fabric for general insulation, it's stretchy so that it directly touches your skin. That way the cold air can't touch you directly through the inevitable gaps of air through your clothing. You can wear extra layers on top of that for extra insulation, but it's important to ensure your body has at least one layer of cloth completely insulating every inch of your skin if possible.

I live in the loving Dakotas

:eng99:

I've just been wearing pajama pants to layer up, first time I've had the real thing