Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I don't know if it has any international value, but furniture auctions can be extremely good sources of high-quality antique furniture thats just a bit out of style currently.
We got a set of 6 very solid oak kitchen chairs plus a matching oak table for 100 euro in an auction a few years ago. The chairs have surprised horses or outraged gryphons on the seatbacks.
In the same auction, we got the most amazing set of individually carved dining room chairs with distinct seat backs for 120 quid in total.
The chairs are loving amazing, literally every one has a different decoration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AITA for insisting stepson gets searched thoroughly before entering our soon to be new home?

quote:

My step son is 16 and a massive pot head. His birth mother got him hooked at 13. Right now my SO is renting his parents basement. Stepson has pot stashes in at least 2 places that I know of. My SO doesn't want to put his foot down too hard on him smoking because he's terrified step son will run away to his birth mother and get back in acid, ecstacy, and Molly. With us he only does pot. We just got approved for a trailer park but one of their ground rules is no drugs.

I do NOT trust step son at all. I'm insisting he is throughly searched before he enters our home. And I mean, turn out all pockets, empty any and all bags (kid always has a mini duffle bag with him) and his room will be throughly searched under his supervision so he can't say we're snooping behind his back. SO says we can trust stepson and im being too demanding untrusting.

I say until he earns my trust stepson will be searched.

Soooo, am I justified, the rear end in a top hat, or a little of both?

EDIT: we also have custody of SO's other sons, 7 and 5.

Tell us you live in Ohio without telling us you live in Ohio.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Pookah posted:

antique furniture thats just a bit out of style currently.

The chairs have surprised horses or outraged gryphons on the seatbacks.

lmao

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for telling my friend blind people can’t drive?

quote:

Not the A-hole

I’ve(F19) been friends with Sarah(F19) since the third grade. She used to lie A LOT and was constantly contradicting everything she said.

Anyways, about 5 years ago, we got into a pretty bad argument. It ended with her calling me every insult she could think of when I called her out. I didn’t talk to her for 3 years after that.

What was the argument about? She told me that blind people could drive. She said that her cousin, who has two glass eyes, got her license and was driving her around downtown. I knew she was lying, but I asked her how her cousin knew how to get around, when to stop or what to do if someone jumped in front of her vehicle.

Her response to everything was “(cousins name) has a really good sense of direction”.

I told her that wasn’t possible. My cousin is completely blind in one eye and she cannot get a license. It’s obviously not safe. Sarah did not like me calling her out and that’s when the insults started.

After that, we started talking again in the eleventh grade. She still lies occasionally, but whatever. I don’t consider her a close friend.

Last night, Sarah and I were out with a group of friends. Not sure what we were originally talking about, but Sarah brought up the topic again. This time, she said that I was the one who lied about having a blind cousin with a license.

I was pissed and my friends knew it too. They knew she was lying. I told her to “grow the f*** up and stop lying. You’re not a little girl anymore”. She got mad at left after once again, calling me a bunch of names.

My friends think I should’ve just let it go. Sarah had cancer when she was 11 and they believe that she lied because she didn’t have much of a childhood. So AITA? Should I have just let it go?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Not even kidding, the horses look like you just said something insane, and the gryphons are complaining about a roll they just got served.
Will photo when it's light again.

Blastedhellscape
Jan 1, 2008

Piell posted:

AITA for wanting a family meeting to discuss all of the single women in our family?

There's so much missing information here. Are these three women jobless and living with their parents? Are the dads just constantly being called over to their daughter's places to move furniture and open jars? Is OP a time traveler from the 1840's?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
As I was reading it I was envisaging farms and small holdings, where a lot of physically draining manual lanour might be expected? Like if you’ve not got a partner and can’t afford wages then there are going to be uncomfortable conversations about how you can keep running one?

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat

value-brand cereal posted:

I wanted to know what the hell manual labor meant but the OP hasn't commented. I assume household chores, because if it's some sort of Fruit Tree Orchard on a Compound...? The comments suggest things like plumbing and electrical, which is few and far between. Wild.

This feels like a cishet being confused as to why lesbians don't need men, because we 'need men to open cans / jars for you! How will you survive otherwise?!'.

It's far more likely to be traditional sexism and probably a very common view in places where contractors and handymen are poorly regulated and/or too expensive for the income level of the majority and/or it's a matter of pride for men to be handy (due to the first two reasons).

Specifically, for folks who hold these views, there's women's and men's chores and men do not get to slack on them. A man may get away being worthless (and may even be unwanted) in the kitchen, with laundry and around kids, but he should be holding up his side of being handy and proactive (mental load) with home and vehicle maintenance, repairs and improvement, fixing leaky faucets, soft spots on the floor, having firewood chopped and piled, knowing how to attach a shelf and the like.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Total Meatlove posted:

As I was reading it I was envisaging farms and small holdings, where a lot of physically draining manual lanour might be expected? Like if you’ve not got a partner and can’t afford wages then there are going to be uncomfortable conversations about how you can keep running one?

That seems like the point at which you sell the land and take up a new trade.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Mr. Lobe posted:

That seems like the point at which you sell the land and take up a new trade.

If farmers took logical decisions on cost v benefit we’d have gently caress all to eat.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Total Meatlove posted:

If farmers took logical decisions on cost v benefit we’d have gently caress all to eat.

You mean there'd be a bunch of 1000+ acre farms owned by megacorps? Because that's already a thing and it's increasingly headed that way exclusively.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for telling my friend blind people can’t drive?

Sounds like ableism to me. I've known lots of blind people with valid drivers licenses.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SYSV Fanfic posted:

Sounds like ableism to me. I've known lots of blind people with valid drivers licenses.

i knew a dude, not well, more through friends. he was one of the most talented percussionists and whizzes at the keyboard. he was very obviously blind, big sunglasses, cane moving about.

his big joke was to go out of the club and slowly walk to his friend's car, listening for patrons going to and from the parking lot. then he'd get in the car and start it, backing it up a foot or two, window down to listen for people booking it away

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

wibble posted:

My dying mom made me [15F] promise never to tell my dad he's not my biological father.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BestofRedditorUpdates/comments/sapoyz/my_dying_mom_made_me_15f_promise_never_to_tell_my/

Never before have I wanted to punch a bunch of redditors so much... The whole story is a bit triggering...

This is just pure abuse and misery. Please don't post something like this to the thread again.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

mediaphage posted:

i knew a dude, not well, more through friends. he was one of the most talented percussionists and whizzes at the keyboard. he was very obviously blind, big sunglasses, cane moving about.

his big joke was to go out of the club and slowly walk to his friend's car, listening for patrons going to and from the parking lot. then he'd get in the car and start it, backing it up a foot or two, window down to listen for people booking it away

The people I know are just old and have a five year license.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Dr. Stab posted:

A good can opener is a generational heirloom :colbert:

e: when you suddenly need to furnish an entire home is not the time to be buying lasting furniture anyways. That poo poo takes time to find and curate. Buy cheap poo poo and then replace it with sturdy stuff as you find the exact thing that fits your needs. You can't really just go out and buy that in a day.

I have a family china service that I adored when I was a child. It's mine now. It has gold borders. It has to be hand washed. It has never been used since the day it was handed on to me.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SYSV Fanfic posted:

...You know there's other kinds of IDs that are mostly identical to driver's licenses, right? Also, there's a difference between legally-blind-but-corrective-lenses-help and "no eyes" blind.

(and there's the ol "we don't re-test eyes so whoops your license is still renewable!")

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 23, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

value-brand cereal posted:

I wanted to know what the hell manual labor meant but the OP hasn't commented.

quote:

Southern US.

Some things are risky for a woman to do alone. Women are more likely to get ripped off buying cars and taking them to a mechanic. While they can and sometimes do hire contractors, there's a safety risk there when a woman lives by herself so we still have to schedule around us so someone can be there.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Hughlander posted:

AITA for insisting stepson gets searched thoroughly before entering our soon to be new home?

Tell us you live in Ohio without telling us you live in Ohio.

Ecstacy is molly. Stupid square should stfu and let the kid rave.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Arsenic Lupin posted:

...quoting from Reddit poster...

Man I am torn on this one cause I personally HAVE gotten ripped off on both buying a car and mechanic stuff. I only escaped contractor stuff cause I asked for a quote. It's this whole expectation that you'll have someone the salesman respects or knows the tricks with you. (I brought my dad to buy my first car but he basically let me screw myself over cause I should have "known better"). But still the attitude and the planned intervention idea suck majorly.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shirec posted:

Man I am torn on this one cause I personally HAVE gotten ripped off on both buying a car and mechanic stuff. I only escaped contractor stuff cause I asked for a quote. It's this whole expectation that you'll have someone the salesman respects or knows the tricks with you. (I brought my dad to buy my first car but he basically let me screw myself over cause I should have "known better"). But still the attitude and the planned intervention idea suck majorly.

In that case though, you need "someone who knows what they are doing." Not just "A MAN".

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Shirec posted:

Yeah, but the idea that a single woman isn't safe in her house if a contractor comes over ... welp.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Beachcomber posted:

This is just pure abuse and misery. Please don't post something like this to the thread again.

I wish I hadn't read that :smith:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Midnight Voyager posted:

In that case though, you need "someone who knows what they are doing." Not just "A MAN".

You are correct but I've had to leave a car dealership cause a salesman was doing some weird reverse negging of "oh you have to wait for you BOYFRIEND to make decisions for you huh?" I imagine that wouldn't have happened if it had been men shopping.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yeah, but the idea that a single woman isn't safe in her house if a contractor comes over ... welp.

Oh true. When I owned my own townhome, I had countless coworkers asking me if I felt safe living alone. Unprompted! I'd be talking about re-painting the living room and somehow that would be something they had to ask. Same for whenever I lived on first floor apartments.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

a podcast for cats posted:

It's far more likely to be traditional sexism and probably a very common view in places where contractors and handymen are poorly regulated and/or too expensive for the income level of the majority and/or it's a matter of pride for men to be handy (due to the first two reasons).

Specifically, for folks who hold these views, there's women's and men's chores and men do not get to slack on them. A man may get away being worthless (and may even be unwanted) in the kitchen, with laundry and around kids, but he should be holding up his side of being handy and proactive (mental load) with home and vehicle maintenance, repairs and improvement, fixing leaky faucets, soft spots on the floor, having firewood chopped and piled, knowing how to attach a shelf and the like.

This really reminds me of my ex-girlfriend who was from Western KY, and any time poo poo went wrong and I knew I was out of my element, would whine "But you're supposed to be the maaaaan!"

Sorry I have no idea what to do when your ignition just spins and your engine won't turn off. Also, we live in a rented apartment, it's their job to handle the garbage disposal that poo poo itself.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shirec posted:

You are correct but I've had to leave a car dealership cause a salesman was doing some weird reverse negging of "oh you have to wait for you BOYFRIEND to make decisions for you huh?" I imagine that wouldn't have happened if it had been men shopping.

Yeah, that's fair. Car dealerships are hell

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Does the "single daughters" guy once reflect that he could have taught his daughters the same things he taught his sons?

Also I figured this was the southern US. The southern, non coastal parts of Ms, La, and Al, and Ga are like another country. I call it the countries taint b/c it's between Tx. and Fl and taint no one isn't inbred who'd voluntarily live there.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
lol at being thought a spinster at twenty loving seven

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My mom was (mostly) a housewife, but where we lived that meant being on the front lines if something broke. The garage workshop full of bits and bobs to kludge something back together with the right screw? That was her domain. She knew how to spot a leak in the sprinkler system before it became an even bigger problem. Knew when an electrical fix was something she had to call someone in from The City to take care of. She was the foreman; Dad was no slouch and taught me how to swing a hammer, but Mom taught me how to build poo poo.

But even then, that stuff's systemic. She's got a blind spot to her own skills in that area and always thought of Dad as the fixer.

coronatae
Oct 14, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I have a family china service that I adored when I was a child. It's mine now. It has gold borders. It has to be hand washed. It has never been used since the day it was handed on to me.

We inherited soooo much fancy dinnerware from a deceased grandparent. Service for 10 people. Infinite cut crystal that I'm scared to handle. A full set of silver that I've almost never used but hoooly poo poo does it need to be polished! I finally invested in a fancy storage set for the holiday-themed china because something about having Christmas plates on display year round was pissing me off immensely.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

And they have absolutely no resale value, because nobody else wants the family china and crystal. Millennials are destroying blah blah blah.

I was struck by a sentence the other day: millennials don't want fancy china/silver, brown furniture, or rockers. The first two I get, but were they traumatized by their family's baby rockers, the ones with the gliding footstools?

Also, my mother grew up among Southern Baptists; her crystal service was, no lie, ice tea glasses and sherbet dishes.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
can’t wait for my progeny to inherit my moms Welches grape juice glasses.

The witch family heirlooms

E:tbh the next time I’m at my moms I actually might bring them over if they fit a tea light. I need a Miss Poggy votive.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 23, 2022

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

My grandma gave me her fancy china and then took it back to give to some friend of the family she decided she liked better so out of spite I got my own fancy china, which was the tackiest wizard of Oz themed set I could find.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Fil5000 posted:

We're in the middle of valuing and clearing out the contents of my dad's house and there's an entire Wedgwood China set in there that I don't think I've ever seen used in my four decades on this earth. It's nice, but what's the POINT.
My wife is getting her grandmother’s Wedgewood. You better believe we’re going to use it every loving meal.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
My mom has a ton of glass stuff from her grandmother and basically she breaks it out for any celebration she can. Same with her tablecloths because she figures if you don’t use it then it is even worse than using it and breaking it. I have seen it happen that my kid breaks or stains something and she says she just glad she got to use it while she could.

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Hi,

Just time travelling in from this in thread nov 2020 to see if “complete normal” goons are still having freak outs and screaming that being a virgin in their late 20s is normal and not a sign of being socially awkward despite absolutely freaking out about an harmless comment made a month ago.

WaywardWoodwose
May 19, 2008

The woods are lovely, dark, and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

lol at being thought a spinster at twenty loving seven

According to some of the women in my life Women cannot: mow or weedeat the lawn, move furniture, move boxes, carry dogfood from the car to the back porch, anything involving a ladder, ride the bus, change the oil, assemble furniture, or pretty much anything thats icky, or they just don't want to do. I had a friend who gets her sixty seven year old father to do all those things without a second thought, and god help us all if he's not available. the last i heard about her was she had tried to offload most of those onto a lesbian lady we both knew, cause she was practically a man right? It didn'twork out.

Some people are just like that.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Extra row of tits posted:

Hi,

Just time travelling in from this in thread nov 2020 to see if “complete normal” goons are still having freak outs and screaming that being a virgin in their late 20s is normal and not a sign of being socially awkward despite absolutely freaking out about an harmless comment made a month ago.

What

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Midnight Voyager posted:

As a man who knows gently caress all about cars aside from "vroom vroom go fast" and "fun machine play music", this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

WaywardWoodwose posted:

According to some of the women in my life Women cannot: mow or weedeat the lawn, move furniture, move boxes, carry dogfood from the car to the back porch, anything involving a ladder, ride the bus, change the oil, assemble furniture, or pretty much anything thats icky, or they just don't want to do. I had a friend who gets her sixty seven year old father to do all those things without a second thought, and god help us all if he's not available. the last i heard about her was she had tried to offload most of those onto a lesbian lady we both knew, cause she was practically a man right? It didn'twork out.

Some people are just like that.

killing spiders, you forgot that one. or maybe it's under "anything thats icky" idk