Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

zedprime posted:

I eat nachos, a global fusion food phenomenon, until the greasy cheese makes my stools loose. Then I use paper, a luxuriant material of rich academicians and clerks, to clean my rear end in a top hat until the grease is wiped off and contain the whole mess in a basin of the freshest, cleanest water available to man. I hit a lever and the now fouled water is simply dumped into a cistern for the gman to worry about. I am a god Me am play gods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Data Graham posted:

It’s because while I might eat nachos like a king of old, so can millions of other people and that’s not anywhere near as cool as if it were just me

But that king of old is in the ground, rotted away, having never eaten nachos.

You: 1, king: fuckin’ zero, that loser-rear end king

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Belgians committed atrocities and killed millions for rubber in The Congo.

The Dutch committed atrocities and killed millions for spices in the Indies.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Data Graham posted:

Uhh I thought m&ms was mars

As far as I can tell this is true.

they once used Hershey chocolate but not for quite a while. They're competitors

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Mars is part of that lawsuit

Sandwich Anarchist has a new favorite as of 21:48 on Jan 23, 2022

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
How do you make an m&m "less sexy" and why would anyone give a poo poo about that over child slavery

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

If you read the article the child slavery was at a cocoa farm not owned by any of the companies but they all contracted with it and thus benefited from its crimes.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Mr. Crow posted:

How do you make an m&m "less sexy" and why would anyone give a poo poo about that over child slavery

The news cycle is fast and furious, and if I can manufacture rage about my choice in shoes then people will forget that last week I burnt down an orphanage for material gain.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Mr. Crow posted:

New here, huh?

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

If you go to a bar on a Saturday night, chug some shots, eat some nachos, smoke a cigarette outside, and then piss into a flush toilet, you've already reached greater heights of hedonism and sybaritic excess in one single evening than any of the greatest Emperors of Rome or Pharaohs of Egypt managed to do in an entire lifetime.

I feel like a pharoah would have had access to a significantly higher number of concubines than I do.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Crow posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Acyn/status/1484723825606479872

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Tree Bucket posted:

I feel like a pharoah would have had access to a significantly higher number of concubines than I do.

Even if we don't want to get into the sex crimes of the rich and famous, it's probably worth considering that even if they miss out on modern conveniences, they've still got the aristocratic benefit of servants and skilled professionals tending to their wants and needs. King Louis XIV might not have been able to get takeout from his choice of five continents on a whim, but the food he did have would have been expertly prepared and he didn't have to do any work for it to happen. We win out on raw selection, but he was eating every meal at a five-star restaurant. Also, frankly, don't underestimate the ability of desirable goods to get around back in the old days. The world wasn't anywhere near as connected as it is now, certainly, but you'd better believe the kings and emperors of yore were dining on produce from across the known world.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Voyager I posted:

Even if we don't want to get into the sex crimes of the rich and famous, it's probably worth considering that even if they miss out on modern conveniences, they've still got the aristocratic benefit of servants and skilled professionals tending to their wants and needs. King Louis XIV might not have been able to get takeout from his choice of five continents on a whim, but the food he did have would have been expertly prepared and he didn't have to do any work for it to happen. We win out on raw selection, but he was eating every meal at a five-star restaurant. Also, frankly, don't underestimate the ability of desirable goods to get around back in the old days. The world wasn't anywhere near as connected as it is now, certainly, but you'd better believe the kings and emperors of yore were dining on produce from across the known world.

Yes. What matters is the standard with comparison to the times and everyone else within those times. Otherwise owning a car and TV means suddenly your QoL is better than most people even +60-80 years ago.

You are all still peasants. Especially the nouveau riche. Sorry.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

bike tory posted:

But the nature of human desire is such that this empty consumption doesn't satisfy us any more than it did the emperors of old. We are often left emptier than when we began the night, feeling less satisfied and certainly less well.

I always leave emptier than when I began the night

loving everyone's mothers takes a lot out of me

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

But the nature of human desire is such that this empty consumption doesn't satisfy us any more than it did the emperors of old. We are often left emptier than when we began the night, feeling less satisfied and certainly less well. This is because the endless pursuit of consumption can provide only temporary respite from the terrible march of time.

The ascetics would tell you to forsake material pleasures entirely, that the only way to defeat this desire is to relegate it purely to the ideal realm and thereby starve it completely. This is foolish, as this banishes desire only temporarily, in much the same way as does consumption.

These are the ideas of old. I would argue that the true benefit we have over our ancestors isn't our material excess but the ideas we have inherited, developed and honed. Another school of thought, informed by thousands of years of history, is that we should pursue that which is abjected by desire. In doing so we actually broaden our desires and transcend our purely animal drives. We thereby indulge in a more deeply fulfilling pleasure that isn't limited to temporary material comfort.

In conclusion: piss on the floor. Eat the cigarette. Soak the nachos in the alcohol and splash it in a stranger's face.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY: Success (Godlike)

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Oh and what I forgot in my post is that of all these powerful Kings, glorious Potentates, and shining Panjandrums, though they spent every moment of their life cossetted, lavished upon, feared by all, not one of them ever got to make a post on an internet forum. Just by hitting the submit button on this lovely collection of words, I'll have lived a more fulfilling and exciting life than did Charles the Fat and Michael the Drunkard put together.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
The best part about this of course is we can’t take the joke on surface value alone because we are all broke brained and pedantic and must deconstruct it at all costs.

:ironicat: for myself, too

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

dialhforhero posted:

The best part about this of course is we can’t take the joke on surface value alone because we are all broke brained and pedantic and must deconstruct it at all costs.

:ironicat: for myself, too

The joke still stands. As lovely as things may be for most of us now, we're doing a hell of a lot better than most of our ancestors. Of course, we'd be doing infinitely better if capitalism hadn't convinced hundreds of millions of people that working as much as possible was good actually

StillFullyTerrible
Feb 16, 2020

you should have left Let's Play open for public view, Lowtax

Kit Walker posted:

The joke still stands. As lovely as things may be for most of us now, we're doing a hell of a lot better than most of our ancestors. Of course, we'd be doing infinitely better if capitalism hadn't convinced hundreds of millions of people that working as much as possible was good actually

i mean the soviets also had a huge boner for working for the sake of working, remember Mao's whole Down to the Countryside movement?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when computers were new and the boomer-equivalents of the era were like "once software makes all human labor unnecessary, our lives will lose all meaning"?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Kit Walker posted:

Note also that this is mostly only true if you are living in a western country with a fully modern standard of living, or are at the top of the pyramid in others. There are billions living across the world who, while they might have basic conveniences like store-bought clothes and maybe even indoor plumbing, are fundamentally living lives that their ancestors of 100 or 200 years ago would recognize. They're not casually browsing the food court at a mall for their selection of the delicacies of six continents, they're not browsing the internet all day talking with strangers and watching sex acts that Caligula couldn't have imagined, they're not deciding which combo of their 10 pairs of shoes, 20 pairs of pants, and 30 tops to wear.

In fact, chances are that they're living a very hosed life in either the factories that make those things or the farms that produce the inputs for the factories and being paid gently caress near nothing, all so the rest of us can buy a T-Shirt that says "bazinga" on it, wear it twice, then throw it away when the fast fashion meme is passe.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Memento posted:

I always leave emptier than when I began the night

loving everyone's mothers takes a lot out of me

That's interesting because from what I hear from the mothers group you don't really put a whole lot in.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Thorbeef posted:

A few spins on the roulette awarded me this

lmao

:nws::nws:

(its some kind of MMO/video game sex thing, not explicit really but there is a poorly rendered titty)

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

God drat there is a point where absurdist humor meets a point of infinity and implodes

He's just SO ANGRY that the new M&M isn't giving him as good a boner as his last.

I don't have many pictures on this computer but I did find some old political ones. Here is a picture of me from I think the 2016 Women's March. It's kinda funny. So edgy was I

And here's an awesome kiddo from the same event.

credburn has a new favorite as of 00:29 on Jan 24, 2022

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

These forbidden meme edits are getting pretty weird.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

zedprime posted:

I eat nachos, a global fusion food phenomenon

What's global fusion about nachos? Corn, tomatoes and chili all come from the Americas, and I hear you have plenty of cheese over there too.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Data Graham posted:

Uhh I thought m&ms was mars
Yeah it stands for Mars and Mathers.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Cyrano4747 posted:

Do you not have banana bread in your country?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Inceltown posted:

Do you not have banana bread in your country?

Do you not have jokes in yours?

donquixotic
May 1, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

a T-Shirt that says "bazinga" on it, wear it twice, then throw it away when the fast fashion meme is passe.

My bazinga shirt will live on in infamy. gently caress wearing it twice I'll be buried in it

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

Don't ask about the nut in the Banana Nut Bread.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Cyrano4747 posted:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Cyrano4747 posted:

What is 'joke'?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

The General posted:

What is 'joke'?

Well it's not quite a jape, and it's not quite a poke, but man! So to answer your question I don't know.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Cyrano4747 posted:

no we don't, ever since the border was closed imports are very hard to get our hands on and everyone knows that Australians aren't funny

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008

Cyrano4747 posted:

Note also that this is mostly only true if you are living in a western country with a fully modern standard of living, or are at the top of the pyramid in others. There are billions living across the world who, while they might have basic conveniences like store-bought clothes and maybe even indoor plumbing, are fundamentally living lives that their ancestors of 100 or 200 years ago would recognize. They're not casually browsing the food court at a mall for their selection of the delicacies of six continents, they're not browsing the internet all day talking with strangers and watching sex acts that Caligula couldn't have imagined, they're not deciding which combo of their 10 pairs of shoes, 20 pairs of pants, and 30 tops to wear.

In fact, chances are that they're living a very hosed life in either the factories that make those things or the farms that produce the inputs for the factories and being paid gently caress near nothing, all so the rest of us can buy a T-Shirt that says "bazinga" on it, wear it twice, then throw it away when the fast fashion meme is passe.

:capitalism:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hyperlynx posted:

What's global fusion about nachos? Corn, tomatoes and chili all come from the Americas, and I hear you have plenty of cheese over there too.
Nachos are very thoroughly tex mex and the tex in tex mex is largely Spanish, French, and German. Dairy and its thorough derivation is definitely a euro-asiatic invention. For salsas and chili con carne, Mediterranean oregano ends up preferred to native spices similar including the so-called Mexican oregano that is largely ignored without an affectation toward cooking "real mexican." Also cumin. Beyond the chili powders, a tex mex spice blend is a far cousin to mexican spices, and a world apart from mesoamerican spicing.

Beef, chicken, and pork are largely a european introduction. Mesoamerican peasants generally settled for squash and beans with maize to get their proteins, with upper classes having access to fowl, dogs, and peccary (seen as pig-like today but eat one and tell me they are like the pulled pork we make for tex mex).

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

That’s everything. We can blame capitalism for a lot of problems but “poor people” or “worked to death populace” is kinda built into every system we’ve tried so far.

Maybe robots will finally end the need for a working class. We can only hope. Just gotta avoid making terminators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nachos are named for a guy named Ignacio, which is the same name that "Nazi" is based on. What I'm saying here is nachos are cancelled