Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

thecluckmeme posted:

I just reached my first half-hour run in the Library. It took a legion of banshee suicide bombers to finally put an end to my reign

If you got killed by banshees, you didn't make it to a half-hour. edit: unless something was changed in the patch, of course

BabyRyoga fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

BabyRyoga posted:

If you got killed by banshees, you didn't make it to a half-hour. edit: unless something was changed in the patch, of course

I did only have the Magic Wand in its final form, everything else was fully upgraded for the first time, so I could be wrong. I had the bird + holy water + magic wand + fire wand + prism with I believe some duplicators and a bunch of cooldown-lowering upgrades. I glanced up at 27:00 and kept going a fair bit after that, I was basically surrounded by a ring of bird lasers, a full circle of fiery holy water circles that rotated looking like a "still buffering" wheel, and anything that got close enough to get through all of that BS was either zapped by the holy wand or the 5 prisms that were bouncing around like the DVD player logo. The fire was honestly the biggest misstep, I should have grabbed a bible or garlic. I tried to get a screenshot just before they finally circled in enough to break past my defenses, but the steam overlay wasn't working to check what time it was earlier so when I hit F12 it didn't do anything, but at that point I was just clicking to get that extra 25 coins per level after killing every major enemy and occasionally walking far enough to hoover up the red gems from the blue-outlined bats and other odd things that drop red gems.

E: I read the other thread and I think I may have died while hearing a bunch of banshees without realizing how I died. That was probably my 12th run through on normal mode, and I'll keep talking about this perfect podcast game over there instead

bawk fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 23, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
There is a very clear indicator if you make it to 30 minutes; if you died with a bunch of enemies on the screen you didn't make it. All of the normal enemies instantly die and a super speed grim reaper zooms in from offscreen and instantly kills you.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Goon favorite single-player amogus Gnosia is out on Steam.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Since that has come up recently:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1591620/LaMulana_2_The_Tower_of_Oannes/
The DLC for La-Mulana 2 has randomly appeared without a real announcement today.

Also, I finished Nobody saves the World. it was a nice game and all of the forms where fun to play. But ultimately you're not really doing a lot besides solving little miniquest to grind your skills. But that grinding was mostly short and kind of fun.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jan 23, 2022

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
Expeditions: Rome has a nice demo on Steam. It's a role playing game taking place in the late Roman Republic. I have heard good things of the earlier games in the series, Expeditions: -Viking and -Conquistador. This one seems like a cool game if you want to lead praetorian legionnaires in turn-based tactical combat. Go check it out. :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987840/Expeditions_Rome/

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Dimension Tripper Neptune: TOP NEP

quote:

Older Neptune and friends shoot and slash through enemies of Gamindustri in this rail shooter!
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256865979/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642701689

Remember Space Harrier? It's back in Nep form.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

cant cook creole bream posted:

Also, I finished Nobody saves the World. it was a nice game and all of the forms where fun to play. But ultimately you're not really doing a lot besides solving little miniquest to grind your skills. But that grinding was mostly short and kind of fun.

I also picked that up and keep coming back to it. It's pretty addicting. I almost bounced off because I don't think the first form (rat) is a good showcase for the combat system, but as it opens up it gets better. I'm about halfway up the tree and there's a lot of stuff to mix and match and level up. Doing quests for forms is pretty fun and I'm not finding it very grindy, tasks can be done pretty quick and while playing, it just forces you to switch up your playstyle every now and then.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oenis posted:

I also picked that up and keep coming back to it. It's pretty addicting. I almost bounced off because I don't think the first form (rat) is a good showcase for the combat system, but as it opens up it gets better. I'm about halfway up the tree and there's a lot of stuff to mix and match and level up. Doing quests for forms is pretty fun and I'm not finding it very grindy, tasks can be done pretty quick and while playing, it just forces you to switch up your playstyle every now and then.

Yeah, it's a smart system.. It also teaches absurd synergies. And sometimes there are just tasks with vague challenges where you have to figure out how to do that, rather than repeating a certain task a number of times.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
Is Nobody saves the world a good game if you don't have a controller? Whenever I see gameplay footage of it, people usually have the Xbox controller prompts on screen.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I haven't done it but I don't see why it wouldn't be fine old school wasd style.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
When you turn the game on, it shows an Xbox controller and says “controller recommended”.

That said, it’s just cardinal directions, 4 abilities (which sometimes charge) and direction lock. I can’t imagine it being that bad on a keyboard if you’re used to using one to control games anyway.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
I frequently default to KB/M over controller even for "controller recommended" games, and I found the controls in NSTW to be absolutely hideously unbearable, for what it's worth. I couldn't get the game pass version to pick up my pad so I tried it on KB/M for an hour and then uninstalled it because it felt like total dog poo poo to control.

Tombot
Oct 21, 2008
I figured as much, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
It’s not that new but I tried out Death’s Door because it’s on Game Pass and drat, it’s fantastic. The art style and graphics are really really great.

I suuuuuck at it though, I die a *lot* and can’t seem to beat the upgrade bosses. But it keeps me coming back.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
My beef with Death's Door for anyone considering it is that I never felt like the upgrades meaningfully made me more powerful. The game's bosses are wonderful but getting to them involves getting locked in a room defeating samey enemy waves over and over and over and even at max stats with the beefiest weapons, I never felt like I was that much stronger than I was at the start of the game. If you like hard as balls games revolving around lots of enemy waves in locked rooms, I think the combat is pretty responsive, but by the end, I just wanted to be done with it because the formula got really stale. Great music and great art style though!

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

That was my biggest issue with Hades, to be honest. If I enter a room, and kill the enemies in that room, I'm done with that room. I want to move on and explore. If there's more than one wave of enemies, regardless of how you're going to mix it up on me with how those new enemies exist in this room, just include that as an alternate option for me to tackle. Pepper them in, make a gradient with those enemies in this room as an option. I'm done with this room, move me the gently caress on.

tildes
Nov 16, 2018

Tombot posted:

I figured as much, but I wouldn't mind a second opinion.

I didn’t find it so bad. It’s really just the four directions plus a few buttons. Tried kbm for a little and that seemed fine, but did most of my play through with a controller.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

That Dang Dad posted:

My beef with Death's Door for anyone considering it is that I never felt like the upgrades meaningfully made me more powerful. The game's bosses are wonderful but getting to them involves getting locked in a room defeating samey enemy waves over and over and over and even at max stats with the beefiest weapons, I never felt like I was that much stronger than I was at the start of the game. If you like hard as balls games revolving around lots of enemy waves in locked rooms, I think the combat is pretty responsive, but by the end, I just wanted to be done with it because the formula got really stale. Great music and great art style though!

Yeah that’s definitely my biggest beef that it really doesn’t seem like you level up the weapon capability all that fast. The enemies, even the standard ones but especially the bosses are really spongey. The combat controls are good but I do find it annoying having to retrace steps a lot and pound the same enemies again.

It should get that if the enemies are back in an area they should just be easy to sweep through with one hits or two max. Some are still 3-4 hit and they don’t get stunned so you have to dodge mid chain or else they whack you.

The art and music and even the story is carrying me through it though, those aspects are great. And normally I don’t care that much about the narrative stories in games.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I’m pretty sure there is no difference between the un-upgraded dodge and the fully upgraded dodge in Death’s Door

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

BabyRyoga posted:

It was. Collecting an NFT extends the timer by 10 seconds. Although I think it does it by removing the time from the clock rather than delaying Death, as I've had runs end at 30:00 after collecting them, so possibly the OP is mistaken anyway.

Either way you don't need to opt into the beta for those changes as they're now live in v0.29.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Kanos posted:

I frequently default to KB/M over controller even for "controller recommended" games, and I found the controls in NSTW to be absolutely hideously unbearable, for what it's worth. I couldn't get the game pass version to pick up my pad so I tried it on KB/M for an hour and then uninstalled it because it felt like total dog poo poo to control.

I basically have to use DS4Windows for every gamepass game i want to play with a controller, but it works well once I do, for both the Nintendo pro and PS5 controllers. Biggest problem is just how sensitive the PS5's triggers are.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

SlightlyMad posted:

Expeditions: Rome has a nice demo on Steam. It's a role playing game taking place in the late Roman Republic. I have heard good things of the earlier games in the series, Expeditions: -Viking and -Conquistador. This one seems like a cool game if you want to lead praetorian legionnaires in turn-based tactical combat. Go check it out. :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101: :hist101:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/987840/Expeditions_Rome/

If you liked the other Expedition games definitely grab this one. If you liked parts of the other games but disliked other parts (party management, resting all the time) there's been some effort to streamline things as much as possible. There's also no time limit, and they even put in the effort to have correct Latin pronunciation in the woice akting

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Philthy posted:

This looks pretty cool! It looks like it has a basic programming type of puzzler but with elements of adventure tossed in.

Think I might grab it. $13? Why not.

I really like it so far. Although I haven't gotten into the really difficult puzzles yet. But the presentation is good and I like the mechanics of adjusting the automation.

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1641660/RPGolf_Legends/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256858885/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642413020

quote:

An evil force has sealed all the golf holes in the world! Join forces with the spirit of a golf club and embark on a fantastic action-golfing adventure to save golf in the world!

Travel around in a unique open-world where monsters and golf coexist, get your best scores in 6 unique environments and beat monsters! When you are resting, do not forget to help people with their quests... every encounter counts!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1456770/Sketchbots/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256840027/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1624367870

Speaking of Alan's Automaton Workshop, Sketchbots looks like an even more in-depth programming puzzle game.

quote:

Hone your programming skills through a series of increasingly complex challenges in which you use a node based language to guide your robot through the required goals.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1574270/Sucker_for_Love_First_Date/

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256858838/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1635975297

Lovecraftian dating simulator, not even joking

quote:

Put the 'love' in 'Lovecraftian horror'! Perform terrifying rituals to win the affections of eldritch horrors and smooch 'em... at any cost!

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Play posted:

Lovecraftian dating simulator, not even joking

sigh

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm frankly shocked that there isn't a low effort cash grab game that capitalizes on

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
There's that game from a while back called Eldritch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdJwGm5VPoY

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

Hidden Deep came out in EA today

https://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256870372/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1643047791

quote:

Hidden Deep is an atmospheric sci-fi action game heavily inspired by Aliens, The Thing, and Half-Life. Explore, climb, swim, scan, blast and shoot your way through dangerous missions in a huge sub oceanic mining and research facility. Fear the horrors that lurk below…

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Ooh I'll be looking forward to that getting a full release.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It's weird because I thought that came out a month or so ago, or some version of it maybe it was the alpha or closed beta. Was hoping this was the full release but nah

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011

Dreylad posted:

If you liked the other Expedition games definitely grab this one. If you liked parts of the other games but disliked other parts (party management, resting all the time) there's been some effort to streamline things as much as possible. There's also no time limit, and they even put in the effort to have correct Latin pronunciation in the woice akting

My feelings exactly, I think this is an extremely underrated series. For me the games strike the right balance between dialogue, decisions, overworld stuff, and combat. The turn based fights feel nice and tactical, and if that's what you're here for you can get through the rest pretty quickly and easily. I also hugely appreciate the effort they put in to be historically accurate (within reason). It's really cool to have games this grounded, and Rome seems to fix any annoying problems I had with Vikings. It's too soon yet to say if there will be new issues to find taxing, but I recommend folks at least give the series a look if any of that sounds interesting.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

I also hugely appreciate the effort they put in to be historically accurate (within reason).

Yeah, they do a good job with that. Like you can't choose a first name if you play a woman but like... you can still play a woman. It really does a good job of highlighting how much bs historical accuracy arguments are for against having lady player characters because this game actively uses it a way to explore more of that historical context.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
It also incorporates the fact that it would be pretty unheard of for a woman to be a Legatus, but doesn't undermine your character or anything, it's just part of the plot. Seems like a nice compromise between just being ahistorical because honestly who cares it's a video game and being historically accurate and completely limiting your character choices.

This is definitely the best version of their tactical RPG. Fights are deadly and characters can go down fast without some care, combat skills are tied to the weapons you use, which means you can employ a variety of skills on a single character. Ranged isn't stupidly strong as line of sight and cover are more generous, there's clearly defined roles for each class and they all shine. Tactical items are pretty strong, and just a bit annoying to replenish, also it can take a little time getting into the game before you can craft more and having access to more bandages is really helpful with the AI happy to chuck fire and caltrops at you all day long.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
:siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: SNES ROM HACK ALERT :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xsfi1rms6oU

Celeste.SMC, an Super Mario World hack modeled after Celeste. If you like Celeste or Super Mario World (or better yet, both!) this one is right up your alley.

Load up your favorite emulator, hacked SNES classic, or flashcart, and download the patch at https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a=details&id=29613

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I appreciate that but I'm not the kind of masochist who plays insanely hard mario rom hacks

New games:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1712810/Minimal_Crypt/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256845419/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1628199806

quote:

Discover the simple yet intricate rules of Minimal Crypt through 60+ handcrafted puzzling levels of ever increasing difficulty! Create your own levels in the in-game editor and share them with the community to push the experience further.
Puzzle game that I probably won't play because it kind of reminds me of some puzzle games that were way too hard for me and I hated. Positive reviews.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1798780/Dimension_Tripper_Neptune_TOP_NEP/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256865979/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642701689

quote:

Older Neptune and friends shoot and slash through enemies of Gamindustri in this rail shooter!
Anime rail shooter. Very Positive reviews

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1851120/File_Under_Kingdom/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256869633/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1642494968

quote:

File Under Kingdom is a mix of city builder, puzzle game, and interactive story. How you build the kingdom will alter events and/or influence the choices of its leaders. Use a variety of buildings to satisfy the kingdom's needs. See if you have what it takes to be the kings new Royal Planner.
Interesting combination of genres. Only has two reviews thus far, both positive.

Play fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jan 25, 2022

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Spiders Everywhere

quote:

IT'S A CUTE 2D SIDE-SCOLLING RUN 'N GUN ACTION GAME IN A VINTAGE RUBBERHOSE CARTOON STYLE, ACCOMPANIED BY OLD SCHOOL JAZZ-MUSIC. THE GAME HAS ONLY ONE LEVEL, BUT IT'S VERY CHALLENGING. FAST REFLEXES ARE CRUCIAL FOR SUCCESS.
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256868134/movie480_vp9.webm

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

perhaps a more notable release today:

Serious Sam: Siberian Mayhem ($20) - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1792250/Serious_Sam_Siberian_Mayhem/

quote:

Welcome back to the world of Serious Sam in 'Siberian Mayhem' - a new standalone chapter in the adventures of 'Serious' Sam Stone. Make your way through the vast Russian landscapes on a quest to catch up with the traitorous General Brand, who remains one step ahead of Sam at every turn. The road is long, and there is oh so much to see.

And for those who like Inti Creates' never-ending roster of GBA-esque releases, here's another coming out in two days:

Gunvolt Chronicles: Luminous Avenger iX 2 - https://store.steampowered.com/app/1733880/Gunvolt_Chronicles_Luminous_Avenger_iX_2/

quote:

Luminous Avenger iX 2 takes the series' original speedy and stylish 2D action gameplay to the next level as Copen rips through enemies with his new "Break-Shift" form. His new destructive capabilities makes the high-speed action more satisfying than ever!

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 25, 2022

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I played the first Luminous Avenger. As a fan of inti creates and mega man games, I found it only OK. Level designs were weak and while the dashing system was cool in theory, you barely ever needed to use it. Also it was very very easy until an extreme difficulty spike at the end. All that said, there was definitely a kernel of a great game in there, so I'm interested if the sequel improves.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Never played one before so I can't really comment on it, but man it's a game that looks great in motion. Just oh-so-smooth. Definitely gonna check it out.

https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256864066/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1639023738

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Play posted:

I appreciate that but I'm not the kind of masochist who plays insanely hard mario rom hacks

It isn't really any worse so to speak than actual Celeste, which is a pretty tough game when all is said and done.