Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

kater posted:

the gently caress is wrong with this world

people, mostly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLemonOfIchabod
Aug 26, 2008

Joementum posted:

there's a link to the original cspam thread in the op

Oops I checked but missed that, thank you. If anyone has earlier ones let me know, maybe I will give you an acknowledgment when my book is a bestseller and makes me a millionaire or flops and forces me to kms, whichever comes first

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.

Louisgod posted:

what's great is that these idiots are correct that COVID is here to say in that we're not going to do loving poo poo to try to eradicate it, but they're beyond dumb if they think it'll become endemic. I've yet to have ANYBODY tell me how COVID becomes less infectious and reduces its r0 to 1 or lower. omicron and apparently BA.2 are showing the opposite is true and that we'll have waves every 3 or 4 months for every year for many years to come, with everybody getting reinfected until we're drooling morons.

I dunno. I can see it working like 3-phase power.

Just 3 sine wave epidemics: BA-1, BA-2, and Delta(or whatever - you get the idea) where the tops all touch so it looks like R is 1. Is that endemic?

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
How much PTO does the average worker have banked? Catching covid 2 more times this year, being absent 15 days total in the calendar year...
I hope unions are working on their recruiting campaigns to take advantage of the moment where workers who obeyed orders to se d their kid to school and show up for shifts start getting disciplined for 'too many absences' (and recieve no compensation for another week bedridden).

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:

Uglycat posted:

How much PTO does the average worker have banked? Catching covid 2 more times this year, being absent 15 days total in the calendar year...
I hope unions are working on their recruiting campaigns to take advantage of the moment where workers who obeyed orders to se d their kid to school and show up for shifts start getting disciplined for 'too many absences' (and recieve no compensation for another week bedridden).

lol

ram dass in hell
Dec 29, 2019

:420::toot::420:
this mf thinks the "average worker" gets paid time off

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Even if it was a leftist/Jewish plot, it's still a plot loving up people so you'd think you'd want to protect yourself...? :thunk:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

ram dass in hell posted:

this mf thinks the "average worker" gets paid time off

The average worker nominally does. The average US worker however...

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I’ve seen about 6 hours of national tv today for football

Not one reference to covid

No masks

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

euphronius posted:

I’ve seen about 6 hours of national tv today for football

Not one reference to covid

No masks

didn't see it didn't happen mother fucker

Raiad
Feb 1, 2005

Without the law, there wouldn't be lawyers.

just work when you're sick

just wheel your oxygen tank around with you while you're working

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raiad posted:

just work

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

mediaphage posted:

lol i got a days probe for laughing in agreement with a post

I got a days probe for (without naming anyone) pointing out many in the thread wanted China to fail to valid their demand to return things to normal, as a way of showing that what the US is doing is okay, and like there was no other choice as a way of justifying individuals making selfish choices.

day probe for (not well though out repeated by others arguments).

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Buffer posted:

I dunno. I can see it working like 3-phase power.

Just 3 sine wave epidemics: BA-1, BA-2, and Delta(or whatever - you get the idea) where the tops all touch so it looks like R is 1. Is that endemic?

no

pissinthewind
Nov 11, 2021

Horseshoe theory posted:

Even if it was a leftist/Jewish plot, it's still a plot loving up people so you'd think you'd want to protect yourself...? :thunk:

we dont neogosiate with terrists

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

These guys going at it is fun

https://mobile.twitter.com/hjelle_brian/status/1485404870458839041

AppleNippleBOB
May 13, 2007

Don't think I've updated the thread on my maybe covid.

I couldn't taste my toothpaste this morning - coffee and other things are faint as well. Might be my mind playing tricks on me. (lol, it isn't)

Housemate has coughed on and off, my throat is still slightly sore. Housemate took a rapid (*w throat swab) this afternoon, and it came back negative.

I'm taking a PCR tomorrow morning and should have results tomorrow night.

I'll continue letting yall know how dumb I am.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZPYIntiX0

Uglycat posted:

my place gives 4 sick days per year, and you're required to stay home for 5 days for a positive COVID test

do the math

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Rhesus Pieces posted:

my place gives 4 sick days per year, and you're required to stay home for 5 days for a positive COVID test

do the math

No days since the first day you use a sick day will be your last day employed there...? :thunk:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Horseshoe theory posted:

No days since the first day you use a sick day will be your last day employed there...? :thunk:

they’ll let you use 1 sick day for each of the 4 reinfections you’ll get per year. then your infectiousness is past the peak, walensky says so, back to work loser :v:

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Rhesus Pieces posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMZPYIntiX0

do the math

uh, passive aggressive coercion ain't oppression

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pingui posted:

This is a Chinese piece agitating for COVID Zero, brought in its entire glory:

"The orderly supply of living materials, in particular, is beyond Western countries' imagination"

lol you don't say

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Louisgod posted:

what's great is that these idiots are correct that COVID is here to say in that we're not going to do loving poo poo to try to eradicate it, but they're beyond dumb if they think it'll become endemic. I've yet to have ANYBODY tell me how COVID becomes less infectious and reduces its r0 to 1 or lower. omicron and apparently BA.2 are showing the opposite is true and that we'll have waves every 3 or 4 months for every year for many years to come, with everybody getting reinfected until we're drooling morons.

It'll become endemic eventually, it's just that nobody understands what endemic means. It doesn't mean "manageable", or "decently mild", or "acceptably low burden" or any of that other bullshit. It doesn't even mean R is 1, or constant. It just means it has relatively consistent regular patterns (or at least the endemic strains do).

It's also pretty stupid to say elimination is off the table because the vaccines aren't sterilizing when literally zero of our vaccines are 100% sterilizing. It's a matter of degrees and transmissibility and baseline R (which can still be affected by behavior and other mitigation).

E: R doesn't become less than 1 because the agent becomes less infectious, it becomes less than 1 because so many people get infected in a short time span that the high prevalence of temporary immunity means less transmission. Then immunity wanes and it's back up >1. Throw in seasonal behavioral patterns, etc, and you get period trends like seasonal influenza. With a more transmissible virus and fast enough waning, we might even get two seasons per year!

Stickman fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 24, 2022

Lacrosse
Jun 16, 2010

>:V

Uglycat posted:

I remember reading that omicron antibodies only last 3 weeks or so, so with as infectious as it is we're looking at people being sick for 1-2 weeks every month for the rest of eternity

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/BeingCharisBlog/status/1484038387006799875
https://twitter.com/alexander_tin/status/1484153193118543875

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Stickman posted:

It'll become endemic eventually, it's just that nobody understands what endemic means. It doesn't mean "manageable", or "decently mild", or "acceptably low burden" or any of that other bullshit. It doesn't even mean R is 1, or constant. It just means it has relatively consistent regular patterns (or at least the endemic strains do).

It's also pretty stupid to say elimination is off the table because the vaccines aren't sterilizing when literally zero of our vaccines are 100% sterilizing. It's a matter of degrees and transmissibility and baseline R (which can still be affected by behavior and other mitigation).

E: R doesn't become less than 1 because the agent becomes less infectious, it becomes less than 1 because so many people get infected in a short time span that the high prevalence of temporary immunity means less transmission. Then immunity wanes and it's back up >1. Throw in seasonal behavioral patterns, etc, and you get period trends like seasonal influenza. With a more transmissible virus and fast enough waning, we might even get two seasons per year!

lol go back to d&d

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
I would have to use 5 days of vacation and then id get 12 full weeks of short term disability if I needed.

.....but all in all, If I extinguished that I could make it to July without working.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i found these couple threads interesting

https://twitter.com/PeacockFlu/status/1483768659420094464

https://twitter.com/LongDesertTrain/status/1485312710191505422

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
like, why even compare COVID to the flu, especially when 1) you can apparently be reinfected after a few weeks, and 2) each subsequent variant is becoming more and more transmittable than the prior.

we’re 2+ years into this poo poo and idiots are STILL clinging to the “it’ll be endemic…….. eventually” line, it’s incredible.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Worked for Trump/Kushner when they did it!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Hahahaha! No poo poo? I remember planning to disrupt one of their concerts back in the day and I was tapped to go after one of their big guys. Idk if it was him but it would be pretty funny if it was.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pingui posted:

This is a Chinese piece agitating for COVID Zero, brought in its entire glory:

quote:

However, China achieved a growth rate of 8.1 percent for its GDP in 2021, and the zero-COVID policy played a central role.

If China really gives it up, resulting in a sharp increase of COVID-19 deaths and an overwhelmed situation like the West, the negative impact on China and the world's economy will be immeasurable.
We get the pro-death side posted so much, I figured this would be a nice change of pace.

lol, funny how the same poo poo is said about WA's "hermit kingdom." ghouls on twitter/reddit crowing about WA's double-digit cases yesterday and the uselessness of the border opening delay.

"you better hope we get it under control"

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
For night crew

HHS data

Critical Staffing Shortages: Down to 739, but this is because this is going away as a required field as of 2/1 - The CSS + 7 day prediction field is staying, and its at 1339. That is sorta useless though.

Total Beds: 766,868
-Non ICU beds: 685,582
-ICU BEDS: 81,016

Beds Used: 602,290
-Non ICU beds used: 535,243
-ICU Beds Used: 67,047

COVID BEDS Used: 152,919
-Regular Beds: 127,435
-ICU Beds: 25,484

Previous Day COVID Admissions: 31,388
-Adults: 29,586 (+3056 from yesterday, actually its a pandemic record)
-Pediatric: 1,802

Hospitalizations
-Adults: 147,952
-Pediatric: 4,967

Deaths: 1,282 reported by 4,299 hospitals. (6177 is the amount of hospitals that report)

TN/WA/WV were the only states that show an increase in hospitalizations, despite a record number of admissions.

Florida showing a decrease of 727 Hospitalizations, with 2000 new admissions yesterday
California showed a decrease of 699 hosp, with 2600 admissions
Texas showed a decrease of 59 hospitalizations....with 3000 new admissions.

Actually, heres a map of admissions vs New Years

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1485317567438737409?s=20

Hospitalizations today

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1485317628532985859?s=20

COVID Bed Usage

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1485317628532985859?s=20

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

????

?????????????

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

lmao shuffling resources around. classic move for a small business barely keeping afloat.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Seems like ba2 isn't approaching spookiness threshold

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

wait wait, they're distributing 400 million masks, to (330 million - covid deaths) people, and everyone's getting 3 masks?

*fiddles with abacus* uhhhh

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Pillowpants posted:

Previous Day COVID Admissions: 31,388
-Adults: 29,586 (+3056 from yesterday, actually its a pandemic record)
-Pediatric: 1,802

lol, hospitalizations went up 10%

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

nexous posted:

won’t can’t believe all these 3 day probes comin

that probe on you was stupid as poo poo, terrible moderation. nobody agreed with it, typical poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo

CK07 posted:

our garlic molded

the nice thing about living in a tiny apartment with an air purifier running constantly is that stuff dont get moldy anymore