Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I got a "Toyuugo" generic Chinese Amazon brand vacuum sealer and it works for the most part. The annoying thing is that the heating element keeps needing time to cool down so even double-sealing one thing becomes a pain. Are there better models that don't have this problem?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

my crap foodsaver handles double-sealing without trouble tho if i do more than four seals in quick succession it needs cooldown (so i guess if you're double-sealing both sides of a bag for some reason and you need to do two it runs into trouble)

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

obi_ant posted:

Do most of you guys have a vacuum sealer, or just using a ziplock bag and the water to push out the air?

Started with the ziplock method, but got a vacuum as soon as I realised I would be using the SV more than a few times.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I want to buy myself a chamber vacuum for Hanukkah.

A couple of people have recommended the one at Costco:

https://www.costco.com/maxvac-pro-chamber-vacuum-sealer-.product.100536866.html
Any other recommendations?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Sous vide tuna, any tips? My plan is to do to 43 C and then sear in the hottest pan for 30 sec a side with a pepper crust. Also it's going in the bath from frozen so I'm going to double the bath time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

When I tried to SV tuna it came out horribly. I think it's better to just sear it in a cast iron pan or grill, tuna is fairly unique in that you want it near-raw in the middle and near-blackened on the outside.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

I would be ok with that, but the other people i eat with would want it seared for too long... The sous vide lets me say that it is already cooked, the sear is just adding flavour.

Bagged with salt, thyme and olive oil

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Oneiros posted:

(so i guess if you're double-sealing both sides of a bag for some reason and you need to do two it runs into trouble)

The bag I use is one long roll so both ends do need sealing, but my main problem is I like to bag batches of stuff - like five fillet steaks after a Costco visit, or dividing biltong into servings. That's when it becomes almost unusable.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

Puddled

Seared

The phone is making the colour pop slightly, and the steaks I did straight from puddle were not as good as the ones that rested for a minute and were patted dry. Still better than previous non sv attempts, and the cheapest tuna steaks available so lots of improvement possible.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I got a "Toyuugo" generic Chinese Amazon brand vacuum sealer and it works for the most part. The annoying thing is that the heating element keeps needing time to cool down so even double-sealing one thing becomes a pain. Are there better models that don't have this problem?

My cheapo needs cooldown too and wil flat out refuse to seal using only the seal option, but I can just use the vacuum + seal option and that works every time lol.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

CancerCakes posted:

Seared

The phone is making the colour pop slightly, and the steaks I did straight from puddle were not as good as the ones that rested for a minute and were patted dry. Still better than previous non sv attempts, and the cheapest tuna steaks available so lots of improvement possible.

That looks pretty decent. Sear is decent and the consistency of your cook is going to be great from piece to piece that way. Always rest for a little, but patting dry before searing makes all the difference in pretty lines and consistency.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I made the Serious Eats sous vide duck confit recipe, having never had duck confit before. It was excellent, and appetising enough that I disregarded the asparagus I was going to prepare to accompany it so that I could eat both legs.

The sauce was mostly made from the gelatinised bag liquid which doesn't sound so nice but certainly tasted good.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My partner made me that same recipe the first time she tried out my Joule, and it was stupid good.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

obi_ant posted:

Do most of you guys have a vacuum sealer, or just using a ziplock bag and the water to push out the air?

I was making do with ziplocks for a while but I got one of these and it works a charm and makes things way more convenient.
I like that I can seal stuff up ahead of time, chuck it in the freezer, and have it completely ready to go for sous-viding later. I have a bunch of pork chops in my freezer now that are individually sealed with salt, pepper, garlic, butter, and herbs.

Found it very useful for packing dehydrated meals for camping too.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Entropic posted:

I was making do with ziplocks for a while but I got one of these and it works a charm and makes things way more convenient.
I like that I can seal stuff up ahead of time, chuck it in the freezer, and have it completely ready to go for sous-viding later. I have a bunch of pork chops in my freezer now that are individually sealed with salt, pepper, garlic, butter, and herbs.

Found it very useful for packing dehydrated meals for camping too.

This is the season to grab the bone in rib roasts, and cut them into double thick chops. I do like you do with the chops, but I use a different rub or marinade for each.

With the joule, I can chuck a frozen chop into the pot in the AM before work, and remotely start it so it is ready to char when I get home.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
mmmmm, gelatinized bag liquid

vlad3217
Jul 26, 2005

beer and cheese?!

yaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy!
What's the preferred circulator at this point? I'd prefer something that has physical buttons and doesn't have to connect to a phone since I don't do super long cooks that often. I assume one of the Anovas?

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands though Anova is probably the most well-known. Some are a bit more powerful than others, but all that means it just gets to the ideal temp a little faster.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

halokiller posted:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the brands though Anova is probably the most well-known. Some are a bit more powerful than others, but all that means it just gets to the ideal temp a little faster.

Tip: Boil some water and start off with that, then add in the required water. A lot less time for the little heater to bring everything to temperature.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

obi_ant posted:

Tip: Boil some water and start off with that, then add in the required water. A lot less time for the little heater to bring everything to temperature.

I almost always run mine in a big metal stock pot, on the stove top. I use the stove to bring the water up to just under the setpoint, and then leave the circulator to do its thing. Water gets to cook temp in three or four minutes instead of twenty.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Question: when you put herbs and spices into the bag with your meat, do they actually add anything if they don’t touch the meat? One thing I hate is the presentation of food that has been puddled, because when vacuum-sealed the spices end up impressed into the meat and that is a minor problem for me in presentation. Most times presentation doesn’t matter, but I like to take pride in the things I do well, which means I like the food I serve even just to my wife and my toddler to look like a server just placed it on their table at a nice steakhouse and they uploaded it to Instagram.

Usually with steaks, depending on the cut, I add various dried spices to the bag, typically some thyme and a bay leaf. I don’t usually add a whole gently caress ton of either since one bay leaf is usually enough and dried spices tend to be more potent. But I don’t wanna keep doing that and wasting spices if they don’t add to the flavor, and I don’t usually stop to look for the tastes of the individual spices when eating. I just don’t want it ON (stuck to) the meat when I pull it out of the puddle.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
For something like a steak you're not getting a lot out of putting poo poo in the bag that you wouldn't get out of basting in the pan when you sear before presentation and/or mounting the pan/bag sauce with a compound butter.

If that's too fiddly you could also just throw your seasonings in a sachet before putting them in the bag. If you're doing a super lean/dry cut you might want to throw in a little fat/oil of some sort to make sure there's enough liquid, but if it's just a random sirloin/ribeye/strip/whatever the gently caress then it'll take care of itself.

If you don't have anything to use as a sachet already, you can get little empty teabags that work pretty well for the amount of stuff you're likely to throw in with a couple steaks.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

SubG posted:

For something like a steak you're not getting a lot out of putting poo poo in the bag that you wouldn't get out of basting in the pan when you sear before presentation and/or mounting the pan/bag sauce with a compound butter.

If that's too fiddly you could also just throw your seasonings in a sachet before putting them in the bag. If you're doing a super lean/dry cut you might want to throw in a little fat/oil of some sort to make sure there's enough liquid, but if it's just a random sirloin/ribeye/strip/whatever the gently caress then it'll take care of itself.

If you don't have anything to use as a sachet already, you can get little empty teabags that work pretty well for the amount of stuff you're likely to throw in with a couple steaks.

Sachets aren't a bad idea, thanks!

I usually baste in the pan with butter for sure, helps brown it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I recently posted about freezing steaks, ready to puddle and it was suggested that I don't salt them, lest they cure a bit. This has been detrimental to their flavour - I have to slice and put quite a bit on after to compensate.

Would the curing be a risk if I mixed salt and herbs into butter, so that it wouldn't contact the meat much before it melted in the water?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I recently posted about freezing steaks, ready to puddle and it was suggested that I don't salt them, lest they cure a bit. This has been detrimental to their flavour - I have to slice and put quite a bit on after to compensate.

Would the curing be a risk if I mixed salt and herbs into butter, so that it wouldn't contact the meat much before it melted in the water?

If you make compound butter, you could mix salt in or use salted butter. I would not do the latter, personally, because you never know how much salt is really in there, and with the former you have control over the amount of salt.

Are you searing after freezer > puddle? Another viable solution to the salt woes, you can salt and pepper the meat right before you sear it in the pan.

But ultimately, unless you have specific reason for doing things this way, I'd have to suggest buying fresh meat, dry brining it with salt in the refrigerator for at least an hour and/or until the salt is dissolved into the meat, then vacuum-packing it to freeze. I'm not sure I see any curing potential doing it this way, and will be the opposite of detrimental to the flavor. But then, there are absolutely some goons on here who know way more about this stuff than I do. Or perhaps all of them.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

I (kosher) salt and pepper, then allow to dry on a rack in the fridge for a few days before vac sealing and freezing. Never felt any off-putting "curing" once puddled and seared.

Hasselblad fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Dec 11, 2021

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I have been searing after freezing and puddling. I have salted it before searing, but it doesn't have the same effect - hence slicing then salting, so it gets it all through the meat if you see what I mean. I'll try the dry brine.

I thought that the previous advice I'd got here was to avoid doing that, but perhaps I misunderstood.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Was browsing through documentaries on HBOMax and found "Cooking the Ultimate Steak"

This guy is a dumbshit.

"First. Make sure you get your steak up to room temperature because blah blah blah temp gradient."

then

"What if I told you that the best way to cook your steak is to boil it? Sounds crazy right? Well we're not going to do that, we're going to sous vide it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Pork cures from exposure to salt. Beer is fine to dry brine

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Beer is fine to dry brine

:thunk:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

My partner and I love to batch prepare chicken thighs for sous viding direct from frozen. We historically have taken the bone out beforehand. I think we started doing that after I read something about food safety concerns from leaving the bone in. I decided to google this just now though and Kenji says it's fine to leave them in. What do goons think?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My partner and I love to batch prepare chicken thighs for sous viding direct from frozen. We historically have taken the bone out beforehand. I think we started doing that after I read something about food safety concerns from leaving the bone in. I decided to google this just now though and Kenji says it's fine to leave them in. What do goons think?

Why would there be food safety concerns? The thickness is thin, and while it may take an extra 5 minutes to come to temp, it does the same thing when you’re roasting a whole bird. If it were actually an issue, you’d never cook with the bones of anything. And that would be a terrible loss.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
The only thing I can contribute in regards to the bone being left in is that it tends to with chicken, leak less than favorable color looking liquids that make it appear to be underdone. So I don't like SV drumsticks because the kids and wife freak out. Safety wise I doubt there is an issue as long as you follow proper cook temps and times.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

I sous vide a rump steak for 2 hours at 57 degrees celcius. I put some olve oil in the bag just so all air pockets are eliminated. I seared it afterwards on the grill for 30 secs each side with a butter basting.

The doneness I would say looks more like well done. It's gray not pink and while soft and juicy, the texture is on the firmer side.

I thought this temp would put it on the lower scale of medium. Something is not right, I did double check temps with a second thermometer.

Maybe 1 hour at 55 degrees would do the trick next time?

KinkyJohn fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jan 16, 2022

Marshal Plugnut
Aug 16, 2005

The code to the exit is 1125

KinkyJohn posted:

I sous vide a rump steak for 2 hours at 57 degrees celcius. I put some olve oil in the bag just so all air pockets are eliminated. I seared it afterwards on the grill for 30 secs each side with a butter basting.

The doneness I would say looks more like well done. It's gray not pink and while soft and juicy, the texture is on the firmer side.

I thought this temp would put it on the lower scale of medium. Something is not right, I did double check temps with a second thermometer.

Maybe 1 hour at 55 degrees would do the trick next time?

Yeah, sounds too high if you're aiming for a nice pink. Depending on the thickness I do rump at 1-1.5hr @ 52c and it comes out around a medium rare with a nice pinkness and tenderness all the way through.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I did Kenji's carnitas recipe overnight and somehow I could smell the cinnamon in the morning even though there was no sign of any water getting through the vac seal and I only used one stick.

Extremely delicious.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

I did Kenji's carnitas recipe overnight and somehow I could smell the cinnamon in the morning even though there was no sign of any water getting through the vac seal and I only used one stick.

Extremely delicious.

the ability of smells to penetrate a seemingly pore-less bag is one of my fave things about sous vide. cinnamon goes right though, so does artificial smoke, so does achiote

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

The Walrus posted:

the ability of smells to penetrate a seemingly pore-less bag is one of my fave things about sous vide. cinnamon goes right though, so does artificial smoke, so does achiote

So does many heads of garlic for several weeks.

Black garlic is amazing but dear god does it stink.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Relentless posted:

Black garlic is amazing but dear god does it stink.

I love the smell of black garlic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
Just picked up 2 pork butts from Costco since they have the $5 off deal going on right now. Was considering doing Kenji’s sous vide carnitas recipe. I’ve read some of the comments that say 165 can come out dry. Does anyone have any experience cooking it at 160?