Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
I'm doing my test prep for AZ-104. Used Trainingdojo ($15). I failled my first test with a 59% after doing Scott Duffys Udemy course. I'm told thats not uncommon.

I read through the wrong answers to figure out why they are wrong and took the same version again to get a 91%. My plan is to repeat this process with the remaining 3 versions and if i get above a 90, schedule the exam.

If I pass. I think i might switch to a .Net/Angular course instead of going straight to Az-305. My current employment isnt cloud related and I dont think I have the experience to a) pass it b) have it mean anything if I pass it.

I think my goal might be DevOps. I don't really know enough to know what I want. This is all for a second career I plan on starting in a few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Internet Explorer posted:

It's not effortless, but it sure as gently caress beats on prem. My current place and all their engineers are gung ho about on prem and it makes me miserable.

People fear change, especially when it might affect their job. I remember when we went to BPOS/Exchange Online, the Exchange guys were making GBS threads bricks they were going to be out of a job. Workload just changed. No one got laid off or anything, just different workload now.

Internet Explorer posted:

Like, I am in the middle of a project where the whole tech department is waiting on baited breath for me to prove that VDIs can perform well in the cloud. Not worried about data locality issues, not worried about cost. Literally not convinced that a VDI can perform as well in a public cloud as it can in vSphere.

Biggest issue I've seen is accessing on prem resources. If you're spinning up a bunch of VDI's and then those users are accessing latency sensitive things like database back end business apps, yeah it's probably going to suck. TM1 was basically unusable over a WAN of any sort. If everything they're accessing is in the cloud as well, it should work pretty well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm well aware of all that.:)

And yes, that's what I meant by data locality issues.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Thanks Ants posted:

The best thing about cloud is you don't lose a year every 3-4 years to procuring, implementing and migrating from old hardware and dealing with capex bids.

There isn't a churn of thin clients where you're at? Then again I work in healthcare so people spill drinks and wipe everything down with isopropyl. Playing "what's that stain" on WOWs is always fun. I once found someone's abandoned bowl of Raisin Bran in a WOW's drawer.

Especially now since the first couple generations of thin clients are aging out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Trying to study for this Security+ certification, coming from a data analyst background.

Are there any exercises or labs that can help cement the crypto and CA stuff? Feels like I'm trying to straight memorize multiple chapters. If that is what's required than no worries but I have an old laptop with linux on it and I'd like to try some exercises if possible.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im currently in a course to prep for both CCNA and A+. I already a Net+ prep and am finalizing getting ready for the exam.

But Im wondering, should I drop A+ prep? I dont intend to take that exam. Im of the impression its laughed at. Am I mistaken?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Hughmoris posted:

Trying to study for this Security+ certification, coming from a data analyst background.

Are there any exercises or labs that can help cement the crypto and CA stuff? Feels like I'm trying to straight memorize multiple chapters. If that is what's required than no worries but I have an old laptop with linux on it and I'd like to try some exercises if possible.

Security+ is rote memorization of the book. You get a couple drag-the-box questions IIRC. You don't need to do any labs and there is no practical application on the test (I took 301)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
If you have an IT background already the A+ is a joke and would be a waste of money, IMO.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

skooma512 posted:

Security+ is rote memorization of the book. You get a couple drag-the-box questions IIRC. You don't need to do any labs and there is no practical application on the test (I took 301)

Said f it and took the test this evening. Passed with a 780. I'll take it!

I'll say that the exam was tougher than I expected for someone with zero prior exposure to security poo poo.

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 15, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hughmoris posted:

Said f it and took the test this evening. Passed with a 780. I'll take it!

I'll say that the exam was tougher than I expected for someone with zero prior exposure to security poo poo.

Congrats!

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Thanks!

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Jan 15, 2022

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

cage-free egghead posted:

If you have an IT background already the A+ is a joke and would be a waste of money, IMO.

I do not :( Was planning on going into helpdesk with the Net+ and CCNA then go towards Jr Sysadmin stuff.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

"IN THIS VIDEO, WE EXPLORE THE MYSTERIOUS CLOUD"

:beerpal:

Turns out you can get the first couple Fortinet NSE "certifications" by just learning a few buzzwords

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Anyone with thoughts on the CySA+ certification? I just passed my Security+ and I'm seeing the CySA+ checks some boxes for DOD gigs.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Oh christ, I think my voucher is for Testout Network Pro, not Comptia Net+ :psyduck:

I assume thats useless?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My community College has us take the Testitout Pro tests, which is a whole set of coursework, and then multiple practice tests of the exam it's for. The Network Pro course prepares you for Net+

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Ahh ok thats the one I did. I did great in class but have been studying for Net+ and right when scheduling discovered the voucher was for that Testout cert instead. Was pretty upset tbh!

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Passed my AZ-104!

I thought it was going to be close, but I got an 880. I used Scott Duffys course on Udemy, and TutorialsDojo practice tests.

I'm not sure where to go now. I feel like maybe I should go learn a scripting language instead of going toward Az-500 right away. I still don't know if I want to end up in a Devops role or focus more on security but I figure learning python could help with both.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Fantastic! 880 is drat good, congrats! Is it out of 900 like the others? Because if so, thats the highest Ive heard so far.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Sacrist65 posted:

Passed my AZ-104!

I thought it was going to be close, but I got an 880. I used Scott Duffys course on Udemy, and TutorialsDojo practice tests.

I'm not sure where to go now. I feel like maybe I should go learn a scripting language instead of going toward Az-500 right away. I still don't know if I want to end up in a Devops role or focus more on security but I figure learning python could help with both.

Congrats!

Sacrist65
Mar 24, 2007
Frunnkiss
Thanks! And Its based out of 1000.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Have my AWS SysOps exam coming up this week and have been really hitting the books and practice tests but I'm still getting caught up on random ones. It's all starting to click little by little but this is a MUCH harder exam than the CCP one and I'm half tempted to just push it off by a week, but this is part of one of my WGU classes (which really should be a 4-credit one rather than 3) and I've got 36 days left on my term. :negative:

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
I'm currently in the middle of a career change, and am studying for the A+ certification. My plan is to take the next three months to study for A+, then apply for a job and get Network+ certified. Will having the certificate allow me to negotiate a higher salary at my starting helpdesk job?

Also, having the memorize the DDR RAM speeds is one of the stupidest things I've had to memorize.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

I'm currently in the middle of a career change, and am studying for the A+ certification. My plan is to take the next three months to study for A+, then apply for a job and get Network+ certified. Will having the certificate allow me to negotiate a higher salary at my starting helpdesk job?

Also, having the memorize the DDR RAM speeds is one of the stupidest things I've had to memorize.

Most likely not.

IT is a second career for a lot of people though so dont worry. Grabbing those two certs and doing helpdesk for a year or two to get your feet wet and introduced to the industry is a solid game plan. My only advice would be dont work helpdesk at some huge corporate place that has you basically reading off of a script. If you want to hate life but learn a lot quickly look at MSPs. Otherwise mid size businesses that will let you do helpdesk but also throw different more advanced work at you is the way to go, in my opinion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Shouldn't take 3 months to study for A+

Re: memorizing DDR speeds is stupid

Welcome to certifications...

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

cage-free egghead posted:

Have my AWS SysOps exam coming up this week and have been really hitting the books and practice tests but I'm still getting caught up on random ones. It's all starting to click little by little but this is a MUCH harder exam than the CCP one and I'm half tempted to just push it off by a week, but this is part of one of my WGU classes (which really should be a 4-credit one rather than 3) and I've got 36 days left on my term. :negative:

Yeah, the associate certs surely are a lot tougher than the CCP one. A lot more valuable in todays market too though.

Good luck!

sporkstand
Jun 15, 2021
It's been a looooooooooooooong time since I've taken any kind of standardized testing so I'm looking at taking a couple of the easier type cert exams just to get used to the actual process and mental headspace of test taking again.
I'm looking at the Microsoft MD-100 and MD-101 exams. Can anyone recommend some study materials (digital or physical) for this exam? For some context, I've worked as a computer toucher/Windows admin for 20ish years now. I've worked for both very large orgs (federal government) and a small MSP with 5 employees. Thanks.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
A little difficult to navigate but Microsoft has a pretty decent and free training modules available. https://query.prod.cms.rt.microsoft.com/cms/api/am/binary/RE45lE2 Also it isn’t a prerequisite but the MS-900 is considered the fundamental level for both exams so it wouldn’t hurt to look run through that material as well.

John Christopher’s class on udemy was pretty good and held my attention throughout.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Taking the Net+ this Tuesday. Its extremely weird how much erroneously labeled study material there is for the N007 on free test sites etc. Stuff asking about SQL stuff which is never mentioned on the actual official material.

Just got to memorize the non-WAN 802.X standards and transciever stuff and I think I will be ready.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Dandywalken posted:

Taking the Net+ this Tuesday. Its extremely weird how much erroneously labeled study material there is for the N007 on free test sites etc. Stuff asking about SQL stuff which is never mentioned on the actual official material.

Just got to memorize the non-WAN 802.X standards and transciever stuff and I think I will be ready.

If you haven't, definitely watch some Professor Messer clips for some nice, quick reviews of topics. It was the only material I used to pass a few years back.

And good luck! :)

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Dandywalken posted:

You got this!

Quincytbb
Oct 8, 2014

:laugh:
Hey so I recently decided to take the A+ to get my feet wet in this field. And the study guide book I got reccomended I could buy a test voucher online at a discounted price through a few different websites. Does anyone have a trusted site with a good discount they could reccomend for me?

Trickortreat
Oct 31, 2020
Is it possible to break into QA via certifications alone with zero IT experience? My initial plan was to get the A+ certification, then work a helpdesk job and rack up some experience and certifications (N+, Security+ etc etc etc). However, I've seen a few postings for remote positions for " Entry Level Software Quality Assurance Tester" that seemingly do not require any type of IT experience.

If I were to take the basics ISTQB exam and get certified, could that be enough to get me through the doors for an entry-level position? I have also considered going back to school to get my Masters in informatics, but I would like to make the best use of my time, and I'm conflicted about the best ways to break into the industry. I have zero experience with SDLC or programming, but I've started learning Python and enrolled in the CS50 class to get the basics down.

Edit VVVVV Sorry, I made a typo.

Trickortreat fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 1, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Trickortreat posted:

Is it possible to break into QA via certifications alone with zero IT experience? My initial plan was to get the A+ certification, then work a helpdesk job and rack up some experience and certifications (N+, Security+ etc etc etc). However, I've seen a few postings for remote positions for " Entry Level Software Quality Assurance Tester" that seemingly do not require any type of IT experience.

If I were to take the basics ISBTQ exam and get certified, could that be enough to get me through the doors for an entry-level position? I have also considered going back to school to get my Masters in informatics, but I would like to make the best use of my time, and I'm conflicted about the best ways to break into the industry. I have zero experience with SDLC or programming, but I've started learning Python and enrolled in the CS50 class to get the basics down.

Never heard of it (ISBTQ)

Look at your local job listings and see what they ask for. A lot of places are still doing manual testing and they just want someone with attention to detail etc.

A lot of software test jobs are going to want you to know whatever language their test suite runs in. You might need to know Selenium, at least the bare minimum of stuff like Git, you'll have to learn whatever bug tracker they are using, not sound completely clueless when devs or end users communicate with you.

My wife doesn't have an IT background and works in software QA, but she's just a button-clicker and spell checker. She's not writing test scripts, they don't do automated testing, she's manually testing apps on mobile devices, proofreading things like emails that go out to users... QA can be pretty loosely defined.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Failed Net+ with a 548. Did Udemy test and watched professer Messer vids, plus took as many free Net+ prep things as I could find online. Any suggestions on stuff to study before I schedule retake? Preferably <$20

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Dandywalken posted:

Failed Net+ with a 548. Did Udemy test and watched professer Messer vids, plus took as many free Net+ prep things as I could find online. Any suggestions on stuff to study before I schedule retake? Preferably <$20

Do they still do score reports? What area of the test did you struggle with the most? What areas do you think you're struggling with?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I think I came prepared for a test that doesn't exist. I was comfortably solid on my port numbers, my protocols, etc. I knew my 802.11 standards, IEEE standards. But then I got hit with scenario questions about situations in which I'd use "lesser" security mechanisms (and I use the term incorrectly probably, I apologize) than WPA2-CCMP and WPA-TKIP. The scenarios were what defeated me. Weird scenarios like:

"There's a warehouse where the folks inside use a proprietary scanning tool that isn't customizable and only lets you set a DHCP server. Its tied to a WAP in the corner of the warehouse. Workers complain that signal strength is bad in the opposite corner of the warehouse, and also that the office across the street is causing interference." and the answers were stuff like "Assign static addresses to the scanners, institute 2 factor authentication, assign a DNS server (???)" and other odd stuff when the logical answer to the question as presented wasn't available; that being "Move the WAP so it covers appropriately, adjust power settings/channels as needed to prevent conflict". It was such a weird question that I've tried Googling key words to see if it shows up on any study material, but maybe it was just one of those weird questions that aren't graded that Comptia throws on there. And the question as presented featured the term "device hardening" so maybe the WAP signal and office were red herrings, and the actual question was solely to increase the item security via 2FA? But on a device that is solely mentioned as having a customizable DHCP server setting, its sort of implied that 2FA would not be settable on device-side.

Some of the questions were kind of interesting scenarios, like an office next door to a radiologist that was having issues with EMI which was sensible, but then it says that the office was using Cat6a UTP, and none of the options for replacement were STP, which you'd think would be best for the situation next door. And the options were fiber, Cat7A UTP, and a few others. And the UTP there threw me, but thinking about it now the innate shielding probably meant it was the right answer... but does Cat7A UTP even exist? Its default shielded on a per-pair level, I thought. And no cost-concerns were cited, so why wouldn't I just use plenum-rated cable in that scenario if available by default (as it was also an option)? Final option was, if I remember right, single mode fiber for some reason.

Others were "You get a phone call from a guy at a conference who is very angry, and says the internet isnt working and he has a presentation due. What do you do?" and I had chosen the option "Check the device's performance baseline to see how bad the situation is vs normal" as a means of diagnosing the issue, but I'm even uncertain about stuff like that. Other options were "Remote restart the device" etc, which seemed irrelevant. I guess this was one of those "Steps to troubleshooting" questions, but I took my step to be as close to the "Diagnose the problem/gather information about the problem" as possible. No option to tracert or ping the device remotely.

Literally four of the questions were about hubs, and I had two about T1 lines lmao.

Errors were pretty scattershot across more or less everything, which wasn't very useful from a feedback perspective. I wish you were told what you had gotten wrong, but I guess I can see why they don't.

Worst (but also funniest probably?) part was when you complete the quiz, they do a survey on your information and it creates this sense of succesful completion. Then the final screen is "You failed btw, go check in with the front desk or schedule your free retry. Your feedback (and $340 presumably) mean a lot to us." My plan for now is to study for 2 weeks or so, and reschedule. But drat, this was a humbling experience. I was expecting at least a 600-something.

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 2, 2022

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

God I hate certifications

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Oof. I feel your pain. Net+ must have changed a lot from when I took it 10+ years ago. Back then it was memorizing some standards, some trivia, and knowing subnetting and some routing protocols, basics of TCP/IP, etc.

First I applaud you for not giving up! At least you know the poo poo storm you are about to wade into now. CompTIA and some other vendors will have questions you describe and they want the "CompTIA" answer not the real world answer.

You may be right on that first question, I've come across what I think are test questions before and they can throw you for a loop.

For your second scenario the answer is to use fiber. Fiber isnt affected by EMI, and plenum ratings just mean its safe for being in ceilings and multi-run floors without spreading fires. Its nitpicky type stuff but thats par for the course with CompTIA.

Questions about 30 year old technology, also par for the course! I pray you dont get any Frame Relay questions.

Still brush up on some areas you think you may have struggled with like cabling standards and take another crack at it when you feel well prepped. I owe a good chunk of my career advancement to certs, and the Net+ was the first one I took way back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Anyone ever done DA-100 or know anything about it? It all looks more basic than anything I do right now but idk, my employer is asking me if there's something they can burn money on for me.