Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
ok never mind you're an idiot after all

lmao if you think making online content doesn't take resources, and they don't have access to the deep resource pools the people who make TV shows do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
The only reason why "online content" costs a lot of money is because the studios say so. And the only reason they say it does is because ad revenue exists. My point is revenue shouldn't exist. They're just playing video games.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0
which takes:

- time, which is worth money
- electricity, which costs money
- a setup good enough to play games while recording/streaming them at the same time, which costs a lot of money
- lights and backdrops and stuff if they use facecam, which costs money

on top of that, no, they're not just playing video games, they're doing improv comedy with a video game as the eye candy. i guess stand-ups shouldn't get paid either, right? they're just standing up on stage telling jokes, after all

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
I claim the Phuo trophy for the month :w00t: because I don't know how any can claim to cook who haven't licked the spoon, thrown a sprig of thyme or rosemary in their mouth and gnawed at it, nor compared potassium chloride directly with sea salt, nor sniffed the milk or eggs.

Gaius Marius posted:

You'd eat a Tbs of cinnamon?
I called out the issue with this in the last line of that post, but for starters, yes I've had 2tsp cinnamon in a cup of water before (with nothing else, cold).

Let's take a look at twelve cinnamon rolls.
1c milk
2eggs
1/3 c melted butter
4.5c floor
1tsp salt
0.5c sugar
2.5tbsp cinnamon

"Would you eat one cinnamon roll?"
"That sounds good"
"Would you eat 0.6tsp of cinnamon?"
"Seems doable,... but that's the entire cinnamon roll, that's like a dozen mouthfuls at least"
"Hmm, so you'd eat 0.05tsp of cinnamon in one bite?"
"Easy"

The worst would be eating just the 0.3c of flour, 1tsp at a time. Admittedly that's a lot, but of course I never said a word about amounts, just that it should taste good. You can lick flour off your hands, lick salt, even a shake of cinnamon, and none of that should cause disgust. On the other hand if I give you one drop of rancid olive oil or stale flour, guaranteed you're going to know not to use it, and you aren't going to have to prepare a dish to know it.

But hey, I trust those boxed noodles will satisfy those needs for inseparable goo.

ps I like 100% dark chocolate, but I've never tried drinking liquid smoke (since I don't use it). Those are the best counterexamples I've come up with.

pps There's sure a lot of anger in the threads. What happened while I was out today?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Don't eat raw flour it can get you very sick. Secondly your point is loving nonsense.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Chloe Jessica posted:

which takes:

- a setup good enough to play games while recording/streaming them at the same time, which costs a lot of money

on top of that, no, they're not just playing video games, they're doing improv comedy with a video game as the eye candy. i guess stand-ups shouldn't get paid either, right? they're just standing up on stage telling jokes, after all

people did it before twitch monetized it.

and yes, if a standup streamed themselves telling jokes they aren't entitled to be paid either. If people enjoy it, they can tip if they want

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

yeah I eat rear end posted:

Are you gonna really go on somethingawful.com and claim that people would just record themselves playing video games just for social/parasocial interaction? Really? What would they even call it? an "i'll play" or "together we'll play" or something? No one has ever said something so ridiculous on these forums.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

YeahTubaMike posted:

I didn't realize this opinion was unpopular

Most of my unpopular opinions are turning out to be reasonably popular. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

and yes, if a standup streamed themselves telling jokes they aren't entitled to be paid either. If people enjoy it, they can tip if they want

Everything turns to poo poo the moment money gets involved.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
But it also gets me bottomless mimosas with brunch, soooo, you know, double edged sword.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The only reason why "online content" costs a lot of money is because the studios say so. And the only reason they say it does is because ad revenue exists. My point is revenue shouldn't exist. They're just playing video games.

This seems like an argument for abolishing money more than one for saying streamers shouldn't get money.

* of course the intricacies of advertisement revenue are thing, and all content, whether it be news or streams or whatever are more pure if they rely on their patreon or equivalent and ignore platform monetization rules

doverhog has a new favorite as of 07:35 on Jan 23, 2022

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Chloe Jessica posted:

which takes:

Also lots of online content has nothing to do with video game streaming.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'm glad streamers are getting paid. Having money is cool; I wished I had more of it too.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Crespolini posted:

I'm glad streamers are getting paid. Having money is cool; I wished I had more of it too.

Have you tried streaming?

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

I'd rather not do any work.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Have you tried streaming?

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Twitch and all "youtuber" content should be banned

For every person watching a game being played or some idiot talking to the camera every once in a while, there are ten mentally ill shutins dropping their entire disability check (or equivalent) to try to claim a spot in an imagined social circle revolving around a channel. And don't get me started on the sadsack nobodies who think gift subs and kofis mean they have a girlfriend.

Ugh. The whole ecosystem is gross, sad, and harmful

Manager Hoyden has a new favorite as of 16:07 on Jan 23, 2022

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Manager Hoyden posted:

For every person watching a game being played or some idiot talking to the camera every once in a while, there are ten mentally ill shutins dropping their entire disability check (or equivalent) to try to claim a spot in an imagined social circle revolving around a channel. And don't get me started on the sadsack nobodies who think gift subs and kofis mean they have a girlfriend.

There are many different kinds of channels and content creators, and IMO condemning them all is too broad.

What you describe certainly is bad, and twitch in particular is kinda gross, but it doesn't follow that everything should just be banned. The mentally ill shut would not be cured by doing so.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
People can stream and enjoy and pay for streaming if they want, but the visual language of YouTube and streaming related content makes me feel really, really grubby. TV is probably grubby too, but at least I was born into and raised in that filth.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Why do goons always assume the grossest, horniest version of the thing is the default

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Why do goons always assume the grossest, horniest version of the thing is the default

Because it is

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Because goon discussion is comprised of scapegoating, strawmanning, and being (not playing) the/a devil's advocate. The automatic, and often only, reply is "Nuh uh because I once imagined (worst possible interpretation)".

The difference between SA and Twitter seems to be only that the latter group believes what they say and forms an entire dogma around that. Goons are just being jerks, though, a slightly different breed of something awful.

Yeah yeah, I know you (anyone) "helped someone on the forums one time" so you're a saint amongst porpi.

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Because goon discussion is comprised of scapegoating, strawmanning, and being (not playing) the/a devil's advocate. The automatic, and often only, reply is "Nuh uh because I once imagined (worst possible interpretation)".

The difference between SA and Twitter seems to be only that the latter group believes what they say and forms an entire dogma around that. Goons are just being jerks, though, a slightly different breed of something awful.

Yeah yeah, I know you (anyone) "helped someone on the forums one time" so you're a saint amongst porpi.

im sorry you got mocked for your relentlessly stupid take about eating raw flour

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I was going to say "acute perceptive ability" but we're talking about goons so probably just a coincidence.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Manager Hoyden posted:

One of my buddies has become a "Moderately" successful streamer and it is the most depressing thing I've ever seen. He spends 12 hours a day at his Computer either streaming, cutting videos for Youtube, or planning out his next stream. He won't even play multiplayer unless he can make "Content" it's horrible

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

Gaius Marius posted:

One of my buddies has become a "Moderately" successful streamer and it is the most depressing thing I've ever seen. He spends 12 hours a day at his Computer either streaming, cutting videos for Youtube, or planning out his next stream. He won't even play multiplayer unless he can make "Content" it's horrible

And if hes getting 100k views that means a whooping 150 dollars a week.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prolly shoulda put it in there, but the lad isn't doing it for money. He's already got a paid off house and car, and he doesn't spend hardly anything on himself. I think he's just got the same brain poisoning most Zoomers do where they think of themselves as a brand and need a constant stream of adulation of validation

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Well that particular advice comes from a puppet in a children's movie so I don't think it was developed in a place of philosophical rigor

Context is pretty important too and I think in that moment Yoda’s mostly just trying to tell him not to halfass it because he thinks he can’t do it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Streaming should be illegal. We have broadcast technology. Advertisements in moving pictures should be illegal, as well as sponsorships. "Reality" shows should be so illegal the whole concept turns into a singularity of crime.

Tipping should be illegal, everywhere and for anything.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

reality shows with physical pain and endurance challenges can stay

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Gaius Marius posted:

My girlfriend streams like five-eight hours a week and its fine. Sounds like your buddy has brainworms better ban entertainment instead of funding public health.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Another terrible thing about streaming is the legions of hopefuls who think they can actually make a living doing it. The vast, vast majority will never get a dime due to minimum payout requirements, and a fraction of a percent will ever make more than minimum wage. The number of streamers who will ever top the median income for their country is less than the number of players in the NFL. And it's all 1099 money with no benefits.

Add in the amount of time you have to spend networking and the equipment/staging cost and people are virtually guaranteed to never, ever make a living streaming. But they will keep plugging away making all that free content for twitch.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

hawowanlawow posted:

reality shows with physical pain and endurance challenges can stay

Seriouspost: why, you gently caress?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Seriouspost: why, you gently caress?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

If I wanted to see an actress get hit in the face, I'd watch "Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia."

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Consumer technology should've stopped at around 2006. That was perfectly good. PS3 games look as good as games need to look. People didn't have huge hard drives so companies actually had to optimize their software. We should still be calling computer programs programs instead of apps. Streaming should exist but not be reliable enough for mainstream entertainment. And there would be no bitcoins. 2006 was the golden age of technology.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

Consumer technology should've stopped at around 2006. That was perfectly good. PS3 games look as good as games need to look. People didn't have huge hard drives so companies actually had to optimize their software. We should still be calling computer programs programs instead of apps. Streaming should exist but not be reliable enough for mainstream entertainment. And there would be no bitcoins. 2006 was the golden age of technology.

Ah yes, the 4m1sh movement.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

If we're picking a year to stop consumer tech advancements I'd go with late 1997

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The ideal level of technology would allow for instantaneous realtime audiovisual communication with loved ones anywhere on the planet but would still somehow make social media impossible.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Need to at least get to the PS2/Gamecube era, the Golden Age of Gaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Phones were fine

If you want to see someone you should have to put in the effort to go see them

Or have the warm feeling of someone taking the time and effort to see you

Filthy zero-effort zero-stakes interaction

Meaningless gifts of taps, not even the breath in your voice given to the people you claim to love