Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scam Likely
Feb 19, 2021

There will come a world where you can't order a pizza without needing special pizzeria tokens, which have surge pricing. The toppings will have their own tokens too, and you'll have to outbid people for the popular ones. Of course, there will be tokens to be earned when you eat the pizza and share doing so, promoting all the tokens involved, thus earning you discount tokens which can be traded in the glorious future marketplace of hyper-commoditization. Yum!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Scam Likely posted:

There will come a world where you can't order a pizza without needing special pizzeria tokens, which have surge pricing. The toppings will have their own tokens too, and you'll have to outbid people for the popular ones. Of course, there will be tokens to be earned when you eat the pizza and share doing so, promoting all the tokens involved, thus earning you discount tokens which can be traded in the glorious future marketplace of hyper-commoditization. Yum!
Goddamn, Black Mirror is getting lazy.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
The internet, but you have to pay for every site you access!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Please spend 0.25 GOON to unlock this post!

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Scam Likely posted:

Don't be silly, surge pricing isn't anywhere near as lucrative as continual blind auctions for line places, just like GAS. Yes, this does mean that your pizza will be thrown out half way through to make way for a richer person's pizza without recourse, but that should encourage you to splurge a bit more on $WUDFIRE next time.

But don't get a head of yourself, you need to first obtain $CHEEZ from a dairy exchange to bid on actual non-fungible produce tokens, then you need to execute the cheese delivery to the pizzeria with a smart contract in a transportation auction. But don't worry, this will ensure you have complete transparency of what cheese is on your pizza, unless the person making the pizza just uses a different cheese.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Protocol7 posted:

Please spend 0.25 GOON to unlock this post!

This post reminds me how annoyed I am that I can't have an avatar without paying even more money :colbert:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
NFTs are dead. They're burning the planet alive. That's because there's only one, centralized, Blockchain.
My service eliminates this and offeres individualized artisan Blockchains provided to customers who want to access their tokens even when offline.
No more gas fees, no more tedious minting. No more scams.
The next generation. NFTwo.0

Chloe Jessica
Nov 6, 2021
Pick 2.0

HootTheOwl posted:

NFTs are dead. They're burning the planet alive. That's because there's only one, centralized, Blockchain.
My service eliminates this and offeres individualized artisan Blockchains provided to customers who want to access their tokens even when offline.

go on Twitter and find some random hexagon pfps to pitch this to, you'll make millions

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

coelomate posted:

This post reminds me how annoyed I am that I can't have an avatar without paying even more money :colbert:

At least it's real dollarydoos and not blockchain shitbucks.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

HootTheOwl posted:

More like NFT.OwO

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

coelomate posted:

You could always piss someone off. That's pretty effective.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

yo, hold up. number can go down?

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

TVsVeryOwn posted:

yo, hold up. number can go down?

No, it's all FUD and FUD adjacent. Crypto and NFTs are perfect, don't question it or you won't get rich. Just buy. Buy, you loving pig.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

syntaxfunction posted:

No, it's all FUD and FUD adjacent. Crypto and NFTs are perfect, don't question it or you won't get rich. Just buy. Buy, you loving pig.

I was in until you said pig. Bears make money, bulls make money, pigs get slaughtered.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

coelomate posted:

Agreed. I'm surprised more governments haven't responded to cryptocurrency as a threatening competitor to their fiat.
It's because it's nothing of the sort. Govts should have taken down cryptocurrencies because they damage the economy, the people and the environment, not because they are any kind of threat to actualmoney.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Over dinner had some friends talk about how they're selling everything and moving to stablecoins, and waiting for the crash so they can buy more. Please explain to me if this is good for bitcoin?

orange sky
May 7, 2007

If the stable coins lose the peg, it's a fuckin bloodbath. All you need is a run on real dollars to happen at the same time

Splorange
Feb 23, 2011

There is no reason or advantage to insert a cryptocurrency between you and the thing it is pegged to. There are established ways to hedge against currency volatility and failure.

And the weird rear end fiat-doomer earlier just doesn't get that what comes after fiat currency is more fiat currency, it is just too useful to be able to inflate the money supply.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
if the price of stable coins could change they wouldn't call them STABLE coins, idiots

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Hector Delgado posted:

Burn this hellworld

Good news! Well, not good, actually.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
They're called stable coins 'cos they're nothing but a big old mound of stinky horse poo poo.

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

orange sky posted:

If the stable coins lose the peg, it's a fuckin bloodbath. All you need is a run on real dollars to happen at the same time
It's funny how the crypto market has fallen like 50% in a few months and it's still not considered a bloodbath. And you are right, for crypto the current kind of fall is something they saw many times already.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Gmaz posted:

It's funny how the crypto market has fallen like 50% in a few months and it's still not considered a bloodbath. And you are right, for crypto the current kind of fall is something they saw many times already.

CNBC is at least starting to report it. This was on the front page today.

$130 billion wiped off crypto markets in 24 hours as bitcoin, ether drop to multi-month lows.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

I think there's only so many times you can report on a massive sell off before people stop caring whether it means anything or not. This is like the 10th time it's crashed.

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
https://twitter.com/muggzo/status/1484398519385346050

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Gmaz posted:

Crypto dying and rising up again is part of the narrative. The belief is that it rises higher every time it falls. To be honest if you look at the charts over the years this has actually been borne out previously.

Where this analysis falls down, however, is that it assumes no external force or even simply that one can't indubitably rely on these patterns to predict future returns. "Past returns are not an indicator of future returns" is, after all, the first thing drummed into you about stocks & shares investments. Regular Ponzi schemes can grow and shrink without collapsing and maintain the illusion of growth over several years.

On a long enough timeline it seems inevitable that the SEC et al will seek to regulate crypto in some fashion, even if it is as simple as regulating the entry and exit points. Mad paper gains are all for naught if the banks are forbidden from receiving or sending money to exchanges. More likely it seems is that they will work hard(er) to tax it. Either way, there is the potential for practical depression and restraint of crypto without actually "banning it", as the true believers imagine is the only mechanism available to them.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

busalover posted:

Cool crypto headline of the day:
I like this one more

quote:

Surgeon faces legal action for trying to sell Bataclan victim X-ray as NFT
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/jan/24/surgeon-faces-legal-action-for-trying-to-sell-bataclan-victim-x-ray-as-nft

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

repiv posted:

found the original transaction, he paid $17.5k for that

if i'm reading opensea correctly, he bought it in november, meaning before the months of crypto prices tumbling, so it was closer to $30k at the time lol

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

oh you're right, opensea shows the dollar price based on the current exchange rate not the exchange rate at the time of the transaction

it showed $17.5k when i looked before but now it's $14.9k because crypto keeps falling lol

Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

Durzel posted:

Crypto dying and rising up again is part of the narrative. The belief is that it rises higher every time it falls. To be honest if you look at the charts over the years this has actually been borne out previously.

Where this analysis falls down, however, is that it assumes no external force or even simply that one can't indubitably rely on these patterns to predict future returns. "Past returns are not an indicator of future returns" is, after all, the first thing drummed into you about stocks & shares investments. Regular Ponzi schemes can grow and shrink without collapsing and maintain the illusion of growth over several years.

On a long enough timeline it seems inevitable that the SEC et al will seek to regulate crypto in some fashion, even if it is as simple as regulating the entry and exit points. Mad paper gains are all for naught if the banks are forbidden from receiving or sending money to exchanges. More likely it seems is that they will work hard(er) to tax it. Either way, there is the potential for practical depression and restraint of crypto without actually "banning it", as the true believers imagine is the only mechanism available to them.
Yeah the operating assumption is that it never went below previous peak e.g. currently that would be 20k, before the recent run it was 1.5k or so. I think before this happens all the crypto people will just say that it's normal volatility, however if we break those amounts then a huge assumption about the market will be proven false and that's when we might see the poo poo actually hit the fan because suddenly it will not be true that "number go up" even on a longer period of time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gmaz posted:

Yeah the operating assumption is that it never went below previous peak e.g. currently that would be 20k, before the recent run it was 1.5k or so. I think before this happens all the crypto people will just say that it's normal volatility, however if we break those amounts then a huge assumption about the market will be proven false and that's when we might see the poo poo actually hit the fan because suddenly it will not be true that "number go up" even on a longer period of time.

Isn't it already below the peak of the previous crash? I remember about six months of so ago, bitcoin was also at around $60k and crashed to around $30k.

I get the impression that bitcoin has reached its maximum extent and every time it gets up over $50k, it triggers a cash out. I know that's famous last words given the raw irrationality of crypto, but they might be running out of that pyramid's base.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

This is what BTC looks like over the past ~8 years.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

And for no particular reason:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vashro
May 12, 2004

Proud owner of Lazy Lion #46
was going to request that graph until scrolled down further

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
And the 2019 spike does correspond to the public getting involved.

Only problem is that bit coin's actual value is zero point zero, so the mean growth line should be flat

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

check out this new technology NFT artists invented

https://twitter.com/musketon/status/1485012739911307273

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Can't wait for the magic eye NFTs.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

Mooseontheloose posted:

CNBC is at least starting to report it. This was on the front page today.

$130 billion wiped off crypto markets in 24 hours as bitcoin, ether drop to multi-month lows.

I love how places like CNBC get "crypto experts" on that talk about Bitcoin like it is just a regular asset with "fundamentals" and "price targets" when it costs a shitload of money from constantly selling Bitcoin just to keep the network operating.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Three Olives posted:

I love how places like CNBC get "crypto experts" on that talk about Bitcoin like it is just a regular asset with "fundamentals" and "price targets" when it costs a shitload of money from constantly selling Bitcoin just to keep the network operating.

Have you considered that living in a society costs a shitload of money? Checkmate, doomer :c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Zil posted:

Can't wait for the magic eye NFTs.

WDYM every time I look at one all I see is a big 0 but everyone else sees "elventy thousand of dollars"