Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 19 minutes!

SubNat posted:

On the nutritional tangent, advertising that you 'technically' don't have something. ex: 'No sugar added!'
Especially when it has no bearing on the product, sure it doesn't have sugar added, but it sure has plenty of sugar from other sources present.

I wish marketing and labelling laws would be more strict with bullshit technically-technically loopholes with products, it's just useless.
The product isn't better because it has 50g of sucrose from a tasteless grapejuice concentrate, instead of 50g of sucrose from plain sugar.

Marketing something as sugarfree and no-sugar-added are two entirely different things. I dunno how it is elsewhere, but I commonly see that poo poo here in Norway.
This also extends to arbitrary marketing buzz like 'natural' and other completely unregulated terms.

The ones that get me are things like "gluten free" on a water bottle label. Like, people are seriously that stupid & lazy that they won't bother learning what gluten is or what foods contain it, so companies gotta slap another pointless label on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Spalec posted:

People who don't shovel their snow off their bit of the sidewalk/a path to the front door. gently caress you, you lazy prick. I hope someone twists an ankle on it when it turns to ice and they sue your lazy rear end.

No, I want them to break their own drat ankle on their own unshoveled sidewalk, before any innocent people trip and fall.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

BOOTY-ADE posted:

The ones that get me are things like "gluten free" on a water bottle label. Like, people are seriously that stupid & lazy that they won't bother learning what gluten is or what foods contain it, so companies gotta slap another pointless label on.

Raudedauden
Jun 18, 2005

Cereals are considered a high risk item and may be cross contaminated with gluten. The Canadian Celiac Association advises people with celiac disease to only eat cereals labelled gluten free as it must have less than 20 ppm of gluten.

Raudedauden has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Jan 24, 2022

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

poo poo is especially bad with cereal. Rice Krispies have gluten. And sometimes the name brand cereal will be safe and the store brand won't be or vice versa.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

HOLY gently caress posted:

My pet peeve is that the handle for the shower/bath tap is stupidly shaped with a small gap between the temperature part and the part that turns the water on so if you get it at the wrong angle you can easily smash your finger in the gap when trying to turn the water on.
My shower handle operates the pressure, and it has a dial thing on it for adjusting temperature. It's fantastic! Unfortunately the thing that's supposd to stop the drain doesn't work and I've been too lazy to get one of those flat silicone drain cover things so I can't take a bath if I want to.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I can’t open links from here in new tabs on chrome on my iPhone. . Holding it down doesn’t bring up the little menu.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Every art/craft reel on insta using this song

https://youtu.be/NGR20B2cEBQ

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

HOLY gently caress posted:

I’ve seen mesh masks on the internet before, presumably so people can go “I’m still wearing a mask! :smug:

My pet peeve is that the handle for the shower/bath tap is stupidly shaped with a small gap between the temperature part and the part that turns the water on so if you get it at the wrong angle you can easily smash your finger in the gap when trying to turn the water on.

Additionally, showers where the difference between ice cold and nuclear is one micrometer and it's impossible to find a normal temperature without alternately freezing and burning yourself

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Nostradingus posted:

Additionally, showers where the difference between ice cold and nuclear is one micrometer and it's impossible to find a normal temperature without alternately freezing and burning yourself

My shower is a mixed bag. Sometimes it's fine but sometimes it doesn't warm up and to make the water hot I have to turn off the central heating for a bit to let the heat go to the water instead. I think the boiler or the insulation is just poo poo, but it works consistently enough that it's only a problem during cold months.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Microsoft Outlook does a thing that annoys the gently caress out of me. It'll send me a reminder of "Hey, dumbass, you have a meeting in 15-minutes. Here's the link to it on Zoom or whatever the gently caress."

Then I open the reminder, click the link to the meeting, do the meeting and everything is all hunky-dunky, then I go back to what I was doing, see a "Hey, dumbass, this thing you had scheduled is now 1 hour overdue!" have a mini panic attack, and realize Outlook is just going "Lol lol, j/k, it's for the meeting you were just in, which you opened from the reminder I sent you, and doing that doesn't clear the reminder because I was designed by very smart people!"

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nostradingus posted:

Radio volume controls that are like this. I can't hear this at all, I'll turn it up a tiny OH HOLY GOD MY loving EARS

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Google's calendar web notifications bring up a little dialog acknowledging that something's happening in 10 minutes or whatever.

You can't click anything on the page until you dismiss that little window.

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
When you're having a fun conversation about new developments in language and someone busts in to tell you you're wrong actually and the purity of the language must be respected and the rules their primary school teacher make them memorise are the correct and true ones ok.

Would of been alot more fun if they'd just not.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

FFT posted:

Google's calendar web notifications bring up a little dialog acknowledging that something's happening in 10 minutes or whatever.

You can't click anything on the page until you dismiss that little window.

I like how if I set an 'all day' event on Google Calendar to remind me that it's someone's birthday, all day ON that day I'll have a notification that says 'Bob's birthday: tomorrow' because it was notifying me at 11:45PM last night. Never updates to say "Today". Has been like that since the very first Android phone.

cinni
Oct 17, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
When you crack a good joke to other people, and someone else chimes in at the end to add on to your joke, but its not nearly as funny, and kinda kills the humor of the whole thing so everyone politely chuckles a bit and moves on quickly.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

People: America freedom land of the free nobody freer defend freedom and free voting freeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Same people: uh please respect slavers! They're people too!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

People: America freedom land of the free nobody freer defend freedom and free voting freeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I think this is a simple misunderstanding. You have different ideas of who counts as people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Also Americans:
Rah rah liberty freedom. Boo Big Government!*

*Military and police don't count as big government and should have insane budgets so they can buy whatever tools they need to enforce the will of the state.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

FreudianSlippers posted:

*Military and police don't count as big government and should have insane budgets so they can buy whatever tools they need to enforce the will of the state.

From what I've seen/read, a lot of them will say it's only the local/county/state law enforcement they are ok being authoritarian, just not any federal law enforcement agencies (and military is basically international law enforcement these days, so it doesn't affect them.)

But if it's some three letter agency from the DOJ? Who are (on average) more effective than Sherriff Buford C. Racist? They can get hosed because of federal authoritarian government overreach.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Reminds me of some posts I've seen across social media scolding people for using words like "narcissist" and "psychopath" as they're "ableist slurs" against.....idk, those poor poor narcissists and psychopaths. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Zen koan of the day: If a psychopath doesn't see you as a real person, can you hurt his feelings?

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Brawnfire posted:

Also these same people: let's make it difficult for people to actually vote!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Reminds me of some posts I've seen across social media scolding people for using words like "narcissist" and "psychopath" as they're "ableist slurs" against.....idk, those poor poor narcissists and psychopaths. :ohdear::ohdear::ohdear:

Zen koan of the day: If a psychopath doesn't see you as a real person, can you hurt his feelings?

In that case I understand it more as overly dismissive. I know a person who was diagnosed with psychopathic personality disorder and they are aware of how it affects their perceptions, which means they are MORE careful than other people about accidentally saying the wrong thing because they lack the innate ability to realise when they've caused pain - they don't have natural empathy so they've had to learn it like one learns a language. Certainly the disorder means that they can't feel guilt as an emotion, but they understand when they've done something wrong because they learned the "language" and do their best to avoid that outcome. Obv you can't assume a person with those kinds of disorders is going to be so careful, there are bad people out there after all and the stigma has a history behind it, but people have different reactions to different stimuli.

Honestly something I've come to think about is that empathy and prejudice are different sides of the same coin - empathy is assuming how someone else will be affected by something because that's how it would affect you, similarly prejudice is assuming how someone else will behave based off of internal biases. They are both assumptions about how other people think based off a personal world view. Hell, in many ways a joke backfiring is a failure of empathy - "I think this way and therefore think this will be funny, therefore others will... wait what do you mean they didn't?"

Bear in mind I'm not a psychiatrist, this is a set of observations based off of a sample size of 1, and I am aware of that.
One of the more interesting interactions with them actually came from my own guilt - I tried to explain what it was like to them and ended up coming up with the idea that guilt isn't it's OWN emotion, but an emotional parasite, latching onto every other feeling and making it 10 times worse. Any positive emotion is hampered with "But I did the thing and now I feel bad about it" and any negative emotion becomes "I deserve this feeling because of the thing that was done"

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Jan 25, 2022

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

PBS kids will sometimes go through the whole bumper and some annoying song then be like YOU'RE WATCHING PBS KIDS IN 3

black screen

Reboot the entire app, I guess! Hey, wanna hear that song again?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When people ask you questions they know you can't answer honestly. Like when one of our managers got fired, I was asked by the new one if I had any concerns, and of course I did, but you know that I know I can't express them without making myself the next problem to deal with.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
My pet peeve is that I have an ear infection which

a) is very painful
b) has given me tinnitus
c) makes any loud, unexpected sounds incredibly unpleasant, and
d) has made everything sound distorted and out of tune so all human voices sound like Daleks and all music sounds like it's from a horror movie.

It loving sucks!!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

People who are bad at written communication.

I know it's a skill, and for a lot of these people school was a long time ago and they probably weren't taught to write very well in the first place, but when you're posting/emailing/messaging about some issue you think is important, please take a moment to read back over what you've written. Did you remember to actually say what it is you're talking about, or did you just assume everyone would already know somehow? Did you leave any important words out of your sentences? Did you remember punctuation? Read it out loud to yourself. Did it sound OK, or should you revise it? No. You're wrong. You should revise it. Remember, no one can read your mind so you actually have to say what it is you're talking about. I can tell that you're very passionate about something. You've included a link to an announcement, so that's a good start. I can definitely tell that you have strong opinions about it. But I'm not sure what those opinions are. Do you think it goes too far? Not far enough? In entirely the wrong direction? You may be right. It is literally impossible to say with any degree of certainty, because I have no idea what the gently caress you're trying to tell me.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I got a ticket the other day, from a user requesting a small change in our IAM system that handles all permissions to customer systems and so on.

Literally asking us to "remove [user X] and [user Y] from notifications when somebody requests the access".

Like, we manage ~20K users, and have ~60K different permissions and hundreds of approver groups. Maybe be a tiny bit more specific in your request?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tiggum posted:

People who are bad at written communication.

Agreed. They’re really…..

Bad?

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

KozmoNaut posted:

I got a ticket the other day, from a user requesting a small change in our IAM system that handles all permissions to customer systems and so on.

Literally asking us to "remove [user X] and [user Y] from notifications when somebody requests the access".

Like, we manage ~20K users, and have ~60K different permissions and hundreds of approver groups. Maybe be a tiny bit more specific in your request?

Tiggum posted:

because I have no idea what the gently caress you're trying to tell me.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Whenever an automated phone system asks you to enter your birthdate, account #, phone #, etc, 'so we can look up your account' while you're being transferred to a human, have you ever even once NOT had to repeat that information as soon as an actual person answers the phone?

Automated message: "Please enter the phone # of the primary account holder so we can access your information."
Me: [Enters number]
Automated message: "[Beeping sounds] Thanks! A representative will be with you shortly."
Operator: "Thankyouforcallingblahblahblah canIhaveyournameandphonenumberplease".

At this point I assume they do it just to make you feel like you've done something while you wait.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Everything is a broken piece of poo poo, even the poo poo that works

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Imagined posted:

Whenever an automated phone system asks you to enter your birthdate, account #, phone #, etc, 'so we can look up your account' while you're being transferred to a human, have you ever even once NOT had to repeat that information as soon as an actual person answers the phone?

Automated message: "Please enter the phone # of the primary account holder so we can access your information."
Me: [Enters number]
Automated message: "[Beeping sounds] Thanks! A representative will be with you shortly."
Operator: "Thankyouforcallingblahblahblah canIhaveyournameandphonenumberplease".

At this point I assume they do it just to make you feel like you've done something while you wait.

As one of those humans, I assume they're given a script that they have to read and it's required to ask for the name and phone number right away (because then you can "personalize the call"!!), and if they don't they get in trouble.

And it's redundant because the client probably never told the call center exactly what their automated system says, or the person who re-wrote the team's call flow requirements for the third time in the past year didn't know about it, because they've only been in that position for two months and no one in these places communicates on any level, especially not with the people actually answering the phone.

Working in a call center is like an 8-hour-daily pet peeve.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Parasol Prophet posted:

As one of those humans, I assume they're given a script that they have to read and it's required to ask for the name and phone number right away (because then you can "personalize the call"!!), and if they don't they get in trouble.

And it's redundant because the client probably never told the call center exactly what their automated system says, or the person who re-wrote the team's call flow requirements for the third time in the past year didn't know about it, because they've only been in that position for two months and no one in these places communicates on any level, especially not with the people actually answering the phone.

Working in a call center is like an 8-hour-daily pet peeve.

Eh, I work doing customer support and while often the data matches, sometimes the customer has got confused and entered the wrong order number or something. So instead of asking for the order number which would make the customer repeat themselves, I say "So it was the order you placed on the nth of month?" and then they can say "Yeah, it was that one" or "Whoops, I actually ordered it last night but got confused on the phone and put the wrong number in..."

Calypso
Sep 28, 2001

Grimey Drawer
When did seen replace the word saw? I seen this, I seen that. It irritates me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Calypso posted:

Like 80 years ago.

Peeve: my apartment has thinner walls than I've ever experienced in much shittier apartments. You can hear when anyone within two floors runs their washer or drier. You can hear if somebody is having a shower vs a bath. You can hear the person whose bedroom wall shares a bedroom wall with us playing music and making sex noises. She sounds enough like a cat that my oldest and most vocal cat meows back at her. God dammit it's great that you're having a good time but I don't want to hear you plus loud cat meows. poo poo is awkward, plus if I can hear you then you can presumably hear us. I play bass guitar and euphonium too. Are you hearing me blast out a bad version of the bass line to Jesus of Suburbia or the fuckin Rohan song at 8 at night? That sounds like a real pain in the rear end.

In conclusion, people deserve thick and soundproof walls in their apartments.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Calypso posted:

If "seen" had replaced "saw", then no one would be using "saw". "Seen" has existed alongside "saw" for quite a while now though.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Like 80 years ago.

Peeve: my apartment has thinner walls than I've ever experienced in much shittier apartments. You can hear when anyone within two floors runs their washer or drier. You can hear if somebody is having a shower vs a bath. You can hear the person whose bedroom wall shares a bedroom wall with us playing music and making sex noises. She sounds enough like a cat that my oldest and most vocal cat meows back at her. God dammit it's great that you're having a good time but I don't want to hear you plus loud cat meows. poo poo is awkward, plus if I can hear you then you can presumably hear us. I play bass guitar and euphonium too. Are you hearing me blast out a bad version of the bass line to Jesus of Suburbia or the fuckin Rohan song at 8 at night? That sounds like a real pain in the rear end.

In conclusion, people deserve thick and soundproof walls in their apartments.

First off, low brass kicks rear end.

Second of all, the other night, it literally -- without exaggeration -- sounded like someone was woodworking next door. There were hammering noises, sanding noises, "dropping heavy things" noises, everything. At first I thought someone was trying to break into my apartment. The best part? This noise STARTED at around 1:15am. It didn't end until 2:45am, and naturally I had a stress dream about someone trying to break into my apartment.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

YeahTubaMike posted:

First off, low brass kicks rear end.

I suppose this is why they don't call you YeahTrumpetMike. Imagine me giving you the warrior's nod here.

But also reminding you that a marching baritone is way harder to carry than a tuba.

e: except for when it's slightly too hot or too cold and you are using a sousaphone instead of a tuba proper. Having a large piece of metal around you that gets way too rapidly and close to the ambient temperature is way worse than having to sprint around with a baritone.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Feb 2, 2022

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

BioEnchanted posted:

Eh, I work doing customer support and while often the data matches, sometimes the customer has got confused and entered the wrong order number or something. So instead of asking for the order number which would make the customer repeat themselves, I say "So it was the order you placed on the nth of month?" and then they can say "Yeah, it was that one" or "Whoops, I actually ordered it last night but got confused on the phone and put the wrong number in..."

Yeah, that makes sense-- I was talking specifically about the case where the customer has already given their information to a robot, but you also have to check it as a person. And even if you phrase it like "And can I just confirm..." or use associated information like you said, they're like "I already said it was X order, you should have it right there!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

I picked up a brand new peeve: fan jargon. I hate it. I ran into it when I looked up a guide to a Civilization mod I used to play years ago. Walls of incomprehensible gibberish, and constant acronyms that nobody every bothers to define or explain. I've played this mod A LOT and I still don't understand half of what these nerds are saying! Imagine what it must be like if a new player somehow wanders in.

I need a translation from somebody fluent in Turbo Nerd. Christ, people say the sciences are bad with that kind of poo poo? At least a technical document will at least usually define its acronyms SOMEWHERE.