Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FORUMS USER 1135 posted:

One movie that really nailed the dilapidated future look is the original Solaris by Tarkovsky. It helps if you've read the book to understand what the gently caress is going on but the style is excellent. I think this is also why Alien 1-3 are great. They really have that feeling of a lived in universe
well even just star wars 4-6 have that too which really puts them heads and shoulders above all the others. say what you will about the writing, editting, acting, or plot, but the set work and aesthetic and world it oozes is top tier. but yes alien 1-3 are great because the aesthetic really works. hr giger's poo poo is also just extremely cool and the best thing riddley did was ape it.

tarkovsky's solaris is good tho, also the more recent soderberg remake was decent

in terms of movie most likely to depict the dilapidated future, its children of men for sure. it's not really scifi though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

It's not even the first Spider-Man movie with that exact premise lol

hype really ruined into the spiderverse for me since after everyone making such a big deal about film noir spiderman anime spiderman and looney tunes spiderman being in the movie i finally saw it and just went what these characters have like three lines each is that seriously it youve basically seen half their screentime just from watching the trailer

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Some Guy TT posted:

hype really ruined into the spiderverse for me since after everyone making such a big deal about film noir spiderman anime spiderman and looney tunes spiderman being in the movie i finally saw it and just went what these characters have like three lines each is that seriously it youve basically seen half their screentime just from watching the trailer

spiderverse was decent and solid enough for what it was (a story of a cop dad and his son trying to come together), but yea im not sure why the collective internet lost their minds over it.

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

RandolphCarter posted:

I read revival by king when it came out and I still think about the ending from time to time. good book

e: we’ve moved on from Stephen king chat oh well

Some Guy TT posted:

dont you dare shut the gently caress up about stephen king chat every post discussing something thats not comic book movies makes it less likely that people will kramer in here saying all we talk about is comic book movies

Never. Stop. Book. Posting.

(Have not read a Stephen King Novel, nothing against the guy. Trying to make my way through popular literature with at least 1 book, Patterson, Agatha Christi, Tom Clancy, JD Robb)
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/
https://www.fantasticfiction.com/top-authors/

Been listening to Robert Alter's Hebrew bible translation.
I have to re-listen to it, but I think Deuteronomy has a lot of story meat in it.
- It gets a bit confusing because the geology, lists of laws and very monotonous description, bury the stories/narratives.
(God wants their tabernacle covered in gold you fucks!)

But yeah it's really fun to hear the line in chapter 5 that god is a jealous god, because I heard my mom say that, and ...well now I know where that came from.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i discovered they got the entire catalogue of The A-Team on peacock so i been watching that poo poo... and it owns

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

indigi posted:

this mf said nastalgia

When you get nasty with the 'stalgia

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Bear And The Dragon

Bear And The Dragon

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

(Have not read a Stephen King Novel, nothing against the guy. Trying to make my way through popular literature with at least 1 book, Patterson, Agatha Christi, Tom Clancy, JD Robb)
that sounds kinda torturous. popular' doesn't mean much, i.e. clancy or cussler. like most of that list is really bad and not even like entertaining-yet-bad. there's some worth reading just to understand the diaspora and evolution of cultural zeitgeists if you're interested in that, but most, bleh. i'm a big sucker for reading trash fantasy (bran-san, weeks, mclellan, scott, etc) but i couldn't finish a clancy or cusler or koontz novel these days.

now more literary fiction stuff like Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Pynchon, Melville, etc is really good though and definitely should be read. melville and steinbeck are incredible, especially a lot of their less known stuff

edit: gunna post one of my favorite melville works and a short one: http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/LCS/bartleby.pdf just incredible

Xaris has issued a correction as of 07:39 on Jan 24, 2022

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Re: Steve N king

Seconding the poster who said his short stories are his real strength. I've never been able to finish one of his novels, even ones I really wanted to enjoy like The Dead Zone cuz of how hard the movie slapped

Edit: no wait I finished the gunslinger, it was short. It wasn't terrible but it didn't interest me enough to continue the dark tower series

Blood Boils has issued a correction as of 07:47 on Jan 24, 2022

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?
Dean Koontz wrote some really weird sci-fi sex stories in the 70s before (I assume) he got born again in the 80s. One of his old ones is a Zardoz-type story where the hero teams up with a telepathic polar bear to find a crashed ufo after the apocalypse.

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Blood Boils posted:

Re: Steve N king

Seconding the poster who said his short stories are his real strength. I've never been able to finish one of his novels, even ones I really wanted to enjoy like The Dead Zone cuz of how hard the movie slapped

Edit: no wait I finished the gunslinger, it was short. It wasn't terrible but it didn't interest me enough to continue the dark tower series

Pet Semetary imo is his last decent novel, everything after that bloats to hell or just stinks period. Carrie is still his best.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

Bear And The Dragon

Bear And The Dragon

i was so excited for this because i liked red storm rising and thought his bigger-battle books were better than the rainbow six tier-one operator books. this is the one that jumped the shark for me at age 15 lol

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

i say swears online posted:

i was so excited for this because i liked red storm rising and thought his bigger-battle books were better than the rainbow six tier-one operator books. this is the one that jumped the shark for me at age 15 lol

lol, i just loved how bug poo poo it was, like i have random memories pop up from it and i'm like 'there really was a scene with an old russian WW2 sniper with fur pelts loaded with gold who gets to drive out to the front lines and pink mist a chinese general isn't there? :allears:'

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Jetto Jagga posted:

Pet Semetary imo is his last decent novel, everything after that bloats to hell or just stinks period. Carrie is still his best.

King gets credit for all the solid and weird fulm adaptations people make of his stuff, he's a great ideas guy.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Jetto Jagga posted:

Dean Koontz wrote some really weird sci-fi sex stories in the 70s before (I assume) he got born again in the 80s. One of his old ones is a Zardoz-type story where the hero teams up with a telepathic polar bear to find a crashed ufo after the apocalypse.

he still wrote hosed up sex poo poo into the 80s. i think one of them was about some crime-doing retard (like, literal) failson wine heir in napa doing crimes but he always had an alibi so the good cops couldn't charge him, but turns out he had an top secret equally downs identical twin and they were having gay incest sex and doing alternating crimes. just absolutely stupid as hell and was the last time i read a koontz

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

lol, i just loved how bug poo poo it was, like i have random memories pop up from it and i'm like 'there really was a scene with an old russian WW2 sniper with fur pelts loaded with gold who gets to drive out to the front lines and pink mist a chinese general isn't there? :allears:'

lmfao i have no memory of that but i love it

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Phantoms was cool (PHANTOMS LIKE A MO FUCKA)

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

if anyone likes good ironic prose, i had a blast reading steven brust's khaavren novels once i got the gimmick

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

smarxist posted:

Bear And The Dragon

Bear And The Dragon

Alright, give me like 3 years.

Xaris posted:

that sounds kinda torturous. popular' doesn't mean much, i.e. clancy or cussler. like most of that list is really bad and not even like entertaining-yet-bad. there's some worth reading just to understand the diaspora and evolution of cultural zeitgeists if you're interested in that, but most, bleh. i'm a big sucker for reading trash fantasy (bran-san, weeks, mclellan, scott, etc) but i couldn't finish a clancy or cusler or koontz novel these days.

now more literary fiction stuff like Steinbeck, Fitzgerald, Pynchon, Melville, etc is really good though and definitely should be read. melville and steinbeck are incredible, especially a lot of their less known stuff

edit: gunna post one of my favorite melville works and a short one: http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/LCS/bartleby.pdf just incredible

They are easier to read as audiobooks, but the pop stuff super interesting in seeing a lot of cultural values. In JD Robb's Naked in death (1995) she wishes the murder victim had a gun, because she apparently assumes that the murdered victim would have lived.

Tom's Clancy's Hunt for Red October (1984) toward the end just ejaculates about Apple computers and how great America is because you can buy one.

Patterson's Along came a spider (1993): There is a Burning Cross scene in one part of the book because the black main character is sleeping with a white woman. Later on that white woman is put to death because she kidnapped a kidnapped kid and took the ransom money.

I'll go to bat for Agatha Christi's, 'and then there were none' is good. People dying on an island is one of those important plots that gets around.

Steinbeck and Melville are both authors I tried reading too young, and they didn't connect at the time. Need to go back to them.
Fitzgerald, yeah I need to read another book of his other than the great Gatsby.

Pynchon I've re-read the ending to Gravity's rainbow a few times.
Realizing that the German movie maker Fritz Lang invented the concept of the countdown,- is a real "huhn?" moment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMyWLsY2EGY

Also there is a part where a person explains their fear of driving on a freeway and then being covered in a clear plastic body bag.
Then that person then dies in a atomic blast while driving on the freeway. It made these two other scenes make sense, as post atomic bomb fears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6Ffr1U7KMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_BlUpgYYx0

mazzi Chart Czar has issued a correction as of 08:20 on Jan 24, 2022

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/BobbyTorrez/status/1485326078604365825

nope

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/THR/status/1485291093893726209

feeling kind of shocked jurassic world was even up there honestly

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

and lastly for all the stephen king chatters

https://mobile.twitter.com/Kingcast19/status/1485192007664480260

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Steinbeck and Melville are both authors I tried reading too young, and they didn't connect at the time. Need to go back to them.

i wouldn't have been able to handle those two but i found an ancient copy of white fang in my elementary school library when i was eight. it was my first adult book. jack london is an incredibly accessable writer. i remember getting overwhelmed by swift in gulliver's travels a few years later in 6th grade

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAtlantic/status/1485354539691790340

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

100 gecs was formed seven years ago. gimme that 2022 poo poo; what do the real zoomers listen to

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Xaris posted:

that seems cool though the color palate isnt my thing. lotta cool scifi artists have died recently like hr giger, havent seen much in the way of modern people taking up like vein of weird techno-human or industrio-scifi art
there are a whole bunch, that's actually the issue here. like there isn't just one "biopunk guy" or one "airbrushed space ship novel cover art guy" or one "sweeping, detailed sci-fi comic book art guy", there are dozens if not hundreds or thousands, so none are as notable as when there were more barriers to entry.

like the only one that comes to mind as notable is the Tales from the Loop artist and i definitely didn't know his name or that he's swedish

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

thatfuturekid
Jan 5, 2014

I really liked Get You and honestly LOVED Us, so I remain cautiously optimistic.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

nope will be fun and good, staking out a controversial opinion here

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FuMuTgIkBg

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Xaris posted:

spiderverse was decent and solid enough for what it was (a story of a cop dad and his son trying to come together), but yea im not sure why the collective internet lost their minds over it.

it looks gorgeous and it has a sense of style with influences more recent than thirty years ago

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

i say swears online posted:

100 gecs was formed seven years ago. gimme that 2022 poo poo; what do the real zoomers listen to

Its all sad trans electronic music

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

Xaris posted:

it's actually a story about uncle magic.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот

talisman is a rough putt and this is coming from someone who really enjoys tommyknockers

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the talisman is ehhh, i kinda liked black house better, it had a sweet story though

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
also Peter Straub sucks big time rear end

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Smythe posted:

i discovered they got the entire catalogue of The A-Team on peacock so i been watching that poo poo... and it owns

The one where they want to get arrested so Hannibal has a "brilliant" plan which is driving the van through the loving sheriff's office and ask to be arrested is gold.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Blood Boils posted:

King … he's a great ideas guy.

yeah this is his real strength and he’s great at it, he should just come up with plots and like 85% of an outline then let someone else execute it + write an ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Bear Retrieval Unit posted:

it's actually a story about uncle magic.

the ending where Miles throws up a mural of a cop killing murderer who never had a redeeming moment on a police station is a head scratcher