Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
For that matter, in small games Finder often wants to find big hammer majors to help clean up (for a price) the invaders it contains. Defends are also quite nice since Finder can set up Dahan so easily. Having the occasional extra isolate is nice but for the most part Finder doesn't really need to double down on its gimmick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Weren’t those spirits included on the JE kickstarter? I may be mixing it with the TTS version I’m playing.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Fat Samurai posted:

Weren’t those spirits included on the JE kickstarter? I may be mixing it with the TTS version I’m playing.

Downpour Drenches the World and Finder of Paths Unseen were a promo pack on the JE kickstarter, Heart of the Wildfire and Serpent Slumbering Beneath the Island were a promo pack on the original game kickstarter. So they have been in the tabletop simulator mods for a while, and the latter two are in the steam game already as a buyable promo pack.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Arzaac posted:

Honestly I think they both work fine without Jagged Earth. Yes, Finder works well with isolate cards, but ultimately he's a powerful spirit that works well with base game cards. Finder just wants cards that move invaders, and Downpour wants strong low cost cards he can repeat (preferably with water). Both can be found in abundance in the base game power decks.

I was mostly thinking of generic beast powers. Beasts don't exist in the base game and 5 of Finder's cards use them. You can definitely win as Finder without BC/JE tokens, but it wouldn't be quite as fun to me.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Is the game playable without the tower?

IE in the case that the tower breaks, or in a few years time when the app is no longer supported/developed

Not really. I mean, you could replace the tower and app with a much simpler/cheaper app that did the same thing. But I can't imagine many people would be interested in playing it.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Would be better as an app. Looks too RNG to bother to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
They put more work into designing the box than the gameplay

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz
I want to get a couple worker placement games as I like the idea but haven't really clicked with one yet. I had and sold Agricola (found it to be lacking in fun choices), and I have Sons of Anarchy which I enjoy a bit. We mostly play deck building games or roll for the galaxy (WP adjacent i suppose?) for our medium weight euro fix. We play at 2 usually. I was thinking I'd try Viticulture as a strictly worker placement game and wanted to pick up one of the newer hybrid ones like everdell or arnak. Any recommendations? I prefer games with a bit more interaction usually. Concordia sounded interesting but doesn't seem great at 2?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Keyflower is one of the best mid weight euros and combines traditional worker placement with an auction mechanic. You can use meeples on tiles to get resources or to bid to own those tiles and add them to your town. Plenty of interaction as you can use others' tiles but give them a worker for the next round, bidding, etc. Plays great at 2-5.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Concordia is great and works fine at 2P but it's not a worker placement.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Gejimayu posted:

I want to get a couple worker placement games as I like the idea but haven't really clicked with one yet. I had and sold Agricola (found it to be lacking in fun choices), and I have Sons of Anarchy which I enjoy a bit. We mostly play deck building games or roll for the galaxy (WP adjacent i suppose?) for our medium weight euro fix. We play at 2 usually. I was thinking I'd try Viticulture as a strictly worker placement game and wanted to pick up one of the newer hybrid ones like everdell or arnak. Any recommendations? I prefer games with a bit more interaction usually. Concordia sounded interesting but doesn't seem great at 2?

Champions of Midgard or Anachrony

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Gejimayu posted:

Insanity mode: Caylus and Dominant Species: Marine. Just jump into the deep end.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Agricola all creatures big and small might be a contender - depends why you didn't like Agricola

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
I don’t think there is a better worker placement than Odin

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Concordia is great and works fine at 2P but it's not a worker placement.

I can see the confusion with the colonists, who need to be on (or rather, between) certain spaces for you to build cities.

One of my favourite WP games is the much underrated Bomarzo. Players have a hand of cards that represent the projects they can build by sending their workers to three of the eight action cards. The action cards represent eight statues in the Bomarzo which are, in the game, idols to ancient gods; leaving offerings to placate a god ensures the success of your project. There are two neat twists: first, each god has an attached victory condition whose value is based on its final position around the board after it is adjusted by the result of a blind bid. Making a bid costs both a worker and a project card and everyone knows you've bid on it, but the value of your bid isn't known. Second, the cost of a god's aid varies based on how many people have given offerings already (first player pays a base cost, others pay the total already given plus one cube, they cost less next turn if not used at all); you're allowed to overpay to shut out other players; and giving the god too much of the wild resource, wine, makes them sated and shuts down the space entirely.

Bomarzo reminds me a lot of Keyflower, except the auction element is replaced by the vying for favours and the in-game information is open while the value of victory conditions is hidden. It's tight, but light enough to be accessible; crunchy, but you can still fit two games into one evening. It also often comes up in Giochix's sales as they try to offload stock - it's full price right now, but it was selling for under €10 at the last two pre-COVID Spiels.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Orange DeviI posted:

I don’t think there is a better worker placement than Odin

I don't disagree, but medium weight it is not.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Gejimayu posted:

I like Lords of Waterdeep. The Intrigue Cards give you more interaction than just cutting someone off at the pass as does having to pay another player to use the building they built. I also like the D&D theme, but that's a matter for taste. That said, I think the base game is the best version of the game, the expansions give too much leeway to get what you want even if other players are trying to block you.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

silvergoose posted:

I don't disagree, but medium weight it is not.

Aye, Odin is King of WP.

For middle weight I really enjoy Champions of Midgard.
There just something really enjoyable about the dice rolling to resolve combat, and offsetting the RNG by assigning additional dice.

I prefer it more so than Lords of Waterdeep, but I'd happily play either

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

Gejimayu posted:

I bounce off of worker placement games like I was made of placement-specific-rubber, but me and the SO love basegame Everdell. I can only imagine it's because it's 80% a tableau builder with some worker placement elements, rather than full-on worker placement. Gonna be following the other suggestions made to you, but figured Everdell could use a shout.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

jng2058 posted:

I like Lords of Waterdeep. The Intrigue Cards give you more interaction than just cutting someone off at the pass as does having to pay another player to use the building they built. I also like the D&D theme, but that's a matter for taste. That said, I think the base game is the best version of the game, the expansions give too much leeway to get what you want even if other players are trying to block you.

Agreed 100% all around. Of special note, I like the mechanism of grabbing first player giving you just enough reward in intrigue cards to be a suboptimal play on its own, but not excessively so, if you have a need to move up in the turn order.

I do like to remove the card for the Lord who gets bonus points for erecting buildings, as they are too easy for people to block even by chance.

Llyranor
Jun 24, 2013
Fields of Arle is the best 2p WP. It helps that it was designed specifically for that player count. More medium-heavy than medium, though.

Concordia is not WP, but it's better at 2p IF you get the Corsica and/or Creta map expansion(s). The base game or Venus standalone's smaller map is too loose for 2p imo (better suited for 3p).

Llyranor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 23, 2022

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I've been playing a feast for Odin on BGA and I absolutely get the hype.

Question: for the moment I've been able to whale and/or plunder (or both) and explore islands basically uncontested because my opponents didn't have a clue. It obviously won't last.

What are viable starting strategies if (turn 1) you're blocked off from both whaling and going collecting protection money tiles from the rest of Europe? Off the top of my head, emigrating a knarr should be doable.
Obviously it can depend on the turn 1 weapon draw and starting occupation (is there a full list somewhere?)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I don't do it exclusively (depends on card draws, turn order etc.) but I still enjoy skipping an early boat to go hard on hunting/crafting/upgrading to blitz the home board and then buying boats outright a couple turns in. I've been cleaning up pretty handily on BGA, although like you say that doesn't necessarily say much about the quality of the strategy.

If I get a good starting occupation that doesn't rely on boats one of my favorite T1 moves is to dump most of my vikings on the 4 resources + 2x double upgrade space. In larger games, if other players go deep enough on the mountains sometimes you can grab an early iron and get one of the bigger metalsmithing pieces. Hunting & trapping are both very high value spaces if you have the draws to support them.

the holy poopacy fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 23, 2022

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Jedit posted:

I can see the confusion with the colonists, who need to be on (or rather, between) certain spaces for you to build cities.

One of my favourite WP games is the much underrated Bomarzo. Players have a hand of cards that represent the projects they can build by sending their workers to three of the eight action cards. The action cards represent eight statues in the Bomarzo which are, in the game, idols to ancient gods; leaving offerings to placate a god ensures the success of your project. There are two neat twists: first, each god has an attached victory condition whose value is based on its final position around the board after it is adjusted by the result of a blind bid. Making a bid costs both a worker and a project card and everyone knows you've bid on it, but the value of your bid isn't known. Second, the cost of a god's aid varies based on how many people have given offerings already (first player pays a base cost, others pay the total already given plus one cube, they cost less next turn if not used at all); you're allowed to overpay to shut out other players; and giving the god too much of the wild resource, wine, makes them sated and shuts down the space entirely.

Bomarzo reminds me a lot of Keyflower, except the auction element is replaced by the vying for favours and the in-game information is open while the value of victory conditions is hidden. It's tight, but light enough to be accessible; crunchy, but you can still fit two games into one evening. It also often comes up in Giochix's sales as they try to offload stock - it's full price right now, but it was selling for under €10 at the last two pre-COVID Spiels.

Makes me regret not grabbing it at the last few sales I've seen it on. Future me will remember this.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Gejimayu posted:

If you want a lightweight worker placement where interaction really matters, you can't beat Little Town (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/241266/little-town). It's incredibly interactive for a lightweight worker placement. For a more medium-weight worker placement, I can recommend Pan Am (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/303057/pan-am) on the lighter end, and Lowlands (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/242804/lowlands) on the heavier end. My favorite heavy worker placement in Dungeon Petz (https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/97207/dungeon-petz). It's a real pain to teach, but an amazing worker placement game that you can try out on BoardGameArena.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Heads up :siren: Mayday's 2022 Crokinole board :siren: launches on KS this week on the 25th.

It is an MDF board with a wood veneer, and the quality is great for the price tag.
I have their 2020 board and I'm very happy with it.

Will be interesting to see what their pandemic pricing ends up being as I only paid $99 usd for mine.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

I did not know until just now that their boards were MDF. I've played on one and it did feel solid, but I don't think I could pay $100 for a slab of MDF.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I mean you could pay $300 for a Tracey Crokinole board and still get MDF :v:
There's nothing wrong with the MDF, the veneer holds up to waxing, and for the amount of play I get it out it is a perfectly serviceable board.

Pretty sure a lot of tournament legal boards are MDF, but someone feel free to correct me on that.

What with wood prices being what they are in the middle of this pandemic, $100 for a bit of MDF is cheap :v:

Selecta84
Jan 29, 2015

Gejimayu posted:

Maybe the Pillars of the Earth WP game? It's from 2006 or so but for a lightweight game I really enjoy it.

Basically you have a phase where you sent some workers to get sand, stone or wood. You choose a ressource card and spend the necessary workers and take the card. You spend between 2-7 or so workers to get between 1-4 or so ressources. You have 14 in total.The phase ends when all the cards are taken or everyone passes. The workers you haven't used are placed on the main board and give you some money.

Then everyone puts 4 pawns (or 3 in a 4 player game) in a bag and then the starting player draws one. You then have the chance to pay 7 coins to choose a WP spot or a pass spot for free. Either way, another pawn is drawn and now it costs 6 coins to place it. The phase continues until every pawn is drawn and placed on the different WP spots on the main board. The pawns on the pass spot are placed for free in the order in which they were drawn.

The WP spots give you a variety of things like special ability or one time use card, protection from taxes, the ability to sell or buy more ressources, getting neutral workers for the ressource phase, getting a metal ressource and getting craftsmen.

In the third phase you can use your craftsmen. You start with 3 and can have up to 4, replacing the old one with new and more powerful ones. They let you convert your ressources into points, like trade in 3 sand, up to 3 times for 1 point each. Some need metal to work, some give you coins instead of points.

You do this for 6 rounds and you are done. Player with the most points wins, no additional end game scoring.

Selecta84 fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Jan 24, 2022

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Heads up :siren: Mayday's 2022 Crokinole board :siren: launches on KS this week on the 25th.

There are various reasons why goons should pass this project, mostly Kickstarter's crypto baloney and Mayday and all their shell-game shell corporations being shady in various ways. I know there have been other controversies including ones about their board quality and to quote one redditor: "Beware Mayday games. Period. They've been a shitshow forever."

You mentioned Tracey, and you can get one of their boards for about twice as much (about $240 usd?): https://www.crokinolegameboards.com/crokinole-boards/ which is obviously a lot of money and a lot more money than Mayday's offering, but not dealing with a two terrible companies simultaneously might be worth it to you. I also do not know if they deliver to the upside-down countries.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Not to go off on a tangent, or appear that I'm stanning Mayday, but from my personal experience with them my 2020 board arrived in Australia on time and in excellent condition.

Most of the articles I read, and I did read a bunch before I backed as I was aware people seem to have issue with them, seem to be years old, and Mayday had their act together from what I saw on the 2020 campaign.
I have seen some smashed boards, but I think that comes down to regional issues with shipping/postal services.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Magnetic North posted:

There are various reasons why goons should pass this project, mostly Kickstarter's crypto baloney and Mayday and all their shell-game shell corporations being shady in various ways. I know there have been other controversies including ones about their board quality and to quote one redditor: "Beware Mayday games. Period. They've been a shitshow forever."

You mentioned Tracey, and you can get one of their boards for about twice as much (about $240 usd?): https://www.crokinolegameboards.com/crokinole-boards/ which is obviously a lot of money and a lot more money than Mayday's offering, but not dealing with a two terrible companies simultaneously might be worth it to you. I also do not know if they deliver to the upside-down countries.

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Kickstarter likely just uses blockchain to decentralize transactions so they can absolve themselves of liability for chargebacks / failed projects and facilitate pledge selling.

Unless you can point me to an exchange where Kickstarter is actually selling crypto.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Kickstarter likely just uses blockchain to decentralize transactions so they can absolve themselves of liability for chargebacks / failed projects and facilitate pledge selling.

Unless you can point me to an exchange where Kickstarter is actually selling crypto.

Blockchain is also idiot garbage, it's a slower, append-only database, and it sure as gently caress won't be decentralized.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Nobody cares idiot

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Infinitum posted:

Not to go off on a tangent, or appear that I'm stanning Mayday, but from my personal experience with them my 2020 board arrived in Australia on time and in excellent condition.

Most of the articles I read, and I did read a bunch before I backed as I was aware people seem to have issue with them, seem to be years old, and Mayday had their act together from what I saw on the 2020 campaign.
I have seen some smashed boards, but I think that comes down to regional issues with shipping/postal services.

That's they same year they tried to kickstart a knock off to a game they had previously licensed from another company. So I don't think their shadiness is in the past.

PRADA SLUT posted:

Hi, Blockchain != Crypto

Oh good are we going to have another tedious multi-page discussion of why some cryptos are slightly less disastrous than others because they plant a tree that just dies instantly, instead of, oh I don't know, not pointlessly exhausting the limited resources in the first place? Believe me, I don't give a gently caress and neither does Kickstarter. It's just to get VCs and investors and C-suites loving dribbling in their drawers because number go up. Worship of this nonsense isn't going to magically make you go back in time and buy bitcoin in 2011.

I would be perfectly happy to never have Kickstarter mentioned in this thread until they relent from their nonsense, and possibly even after that. There is a perfectly nice TG crowdfunding thread which is honestly worth a follow for those inclined, since you can learn about goon projects and things outside of the algo.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

This conversation really funges my tokens.

Pull up thread.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

You can't spell "non-fungible token" without "non-fun".

Or without "giblet", but that's a different matter.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

The face of not building the castle because some gently caress moved the provost again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/MN7ITCT.mp4