Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Gertrude Perkins
May 1, 2010

Gun Snake

dont talk to gun snake

Drops: human teeth
Part 2 of the Flash In The Pan political Flash cartoon special is up, featuring Hussein Kesvani from TrashFuture and Ten Thousand Posts. This time we go deep into a relic from the aftermath of 9/11 and discuss everything from imperialism to cartoon boobs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
still loling at troy baker coming out swinging about how nfts are good actually and then getting owned into submission immediately by everyone on the internet

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

still loling at troy baker coming out swinging about how nfts are good actually and then getting owned into submission immediately by everyone on the internet

Oh, that was priceless. "You can hate. Or you can create." And he was ratio'd into the ground with "We'll hate, thanks." It was clear he saw how people reacted to fellow voice actor Tara Strong who tried to play the 'these are environmentally FRIENDLY NFTs' card and then did some very public moping about how wishing people could be nice, probably encouraging her followers to hear it in Twilight Sparkle's voice.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Tara Strong has managed to slide out of controversies in the past, whereas Troy Baker seems to just get remembered for being an rear end in a top hat that one time.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Tara Strong has been in and out of the spotlight for negative things for years on end, it seems. It feels like only yesterday she casually revealed that she was extremely antivaxx, even though that was like 4 years ago.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

There is no meaningful physiological or psychological difference between a modern human and an easily hoodwinked sumerian copper merchant from 1700 BC.

It would be cool if we could bring back invoking curses onto our enemies via clay tablet inscriptions at least.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lotus Aura posted:

Tara Strong has been in and out of the spotlight for negative things for years on end, it seems. It feels like only yesterday she casually revealed that she was extremely antivaxx, even though that was like 4 years ago.

Oh, I didn't hear about that. Looking into it it seems her fellow Teen Titans VA Greg Cipes is also 'we don't know about the dangerous chemicals in vaccines!' Strong also supports PETA for your horrible trifecta.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZUTFz02NwQ

Sterling talks about the Activision acquisition. Meanwhile I'm reading between the lines and as much as I like gamepass I'm very concerned that once Microsoft completes its monopoly the option to actually buy and own a game will die out altogether as even the games industry moves to a permanent subscription based service. It's already impossible to get physical releases of Disney Plus originals, what will happen when they make every singleplayer game a live service only that you need gamepass to even access.

More games on gamepass has its appeal but I'm worried that the days of true physical ownership of electronics are numbered. And not that NFT bullshit idea of ownership.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. Whatever benefits there are to this acquisition they are vastly outweighed by the problems.

I'm with you with the physical releases too. I wish I could get 4k blurays of The Witcher but that's likely to never happen. I still prefer to get my games and movies on disc. I'm super selective of what I buy and gamepass/gamefly are very good for trying out games that you weren't going to buy in the first place but it being a replacement for physical media just sucks.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

Sterling talks about the Activision acquisition. Meanwhile I'm reading between the lines and as much as I like gamepass I'm very concerned that once Microsoft completes its monopoly the option to actually buy and own a game will die out altogether as even the games industry moves to a permanent subscription based service. It's already impossible to get physical releases of Disney Plus originals, what will happen when they make every singleplayer game a live service only that you need gamepass to even access.

More games on gamepass has its appeal but I'm worried that the days of true physical ownership of electronics are numbered. And not that NFT bullshit idea of ownership.

I for one am excited for the second golden age of piracy that is about to open up. I think you are completely right and I hope people don't give them money for it.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The other issue of moving fully to service rather than ownership is the massive disparity that is caused by ISP fiefdoms. Like Sterling says in the video the USA internet infrastructure is godawful and up in Canada its arguably worse. So you're pushing people to get better service to keet the needs of high speed data but the infrastructure isn't there to support it. So you end up paying more than you were before for something you don't even own because it's now the only game in town.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A decade back when I was a phone monkey for Xbox support 2mb internet was considered good enough to get the full experience. Can you imagine trying to install a modern game on that speed?

Probably, because ISPs haven't done poo poo to modernise outside of major cities in that timeframe.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
Well, outside of population centers. And North Dakota for some reason, must've been the natural gas boom?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Arc Hammer posted:

The other issue of moving fully to service rather than ownership is the massive disparity that is caused by ISP fiefdoms. Like Sterling says in the video the USA internet infrastructure is godawful and up in Canada its arguably worse. So you're pushing people to get better service to keet the needs of high speed data but the infrastructure isn't there to support it. So you end up paying more than you were before for something you don't even own because it's now the only game in town.

There's a massive tug of war right now between big tech companies and ISP's. Tech companies are pushing out more and more streaming content, constantly upping bitrates and download sizes, and turning to the ISP's saying "hey you gotta give the people gigabit internet to take advantage of all this!" ISP's meanwhile really do not want to build out expensive fiber networks or pay to upgrade network infrastructure to accommodate this growth in demand, so not only are they just not really improving their service much at all they are actively trying to discourage heavy usage via data caps and throttling.

I don't really see the situation changing without heavy-handed regulatory intervention since there's no profit motive for ISP's to perform needed infrastructure upgrades and the barriers to entry for the sector are functionally impossible to climb.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Grondoth posted:

NFTs and the amazing amount of MLMs out there make me wonder if the internet has really made us all stupid, cause these are ancient grifts that people are just falling all over themselves for.
Something I've learned over many years of watching the internet move collectively from platform to platform is that every single time the same people have their bullshit detectors wiped. The same people forwarding chain emails on usenet did it as reposts on livejournal, reblogs on tumblr and shares on facebook. Change the background color on the text that Bill Gates will give you $1000 if you share this and people will fall for it again.

People also have a massive confirmation bias - I was doing a fact checking tumblr and if it wasn't an urban legend I'd already seen my number 1 sniff test was simply "is this what someone on tumblr would want to believe".

fun hater posted:

the reasons why these grifts continue to work is because people have more or less been the same amount of stupid since the beginning of time
The same X% population is just as gullible now as before, but social media means the scammers can pitch the scam to millions of people at the same time.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that was priceless. "You can hate. Or you can create." And he was ratio'd into the ground with "We'll hate, thanks." It was clear he saw how people reacted to fellow voice actor Tara Strong who tried to play the 'these are environmentally FRIENDLY NFTs' card and then did some very public moping about how wishing people could be nice, probably encouraging her followers to hear it in Twilight Sparkle's voice.

I still don't know what he was even getting at there. Create what? You don't create anything with NFTs aside from more debits to your bank account cuz you just had to have that awesome picture of a badger with a top hat or whatever.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I still don't know what he was even getting at there. Create what? You don't create anything with NFTs aside from more debits to your bank account cuz you just had to have that awesome picture of a badger with a top hat or whatever.

it was something stupid to do with nft voice acting and the company he was shilling for got caught stealing someone's elses work almost instantly

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

He was trying to be clever and rhyme a way of saying "you do better".

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, that was priceless. "You can hate. Or you can create." And he was ratio'd into the ground with "We'll hate, thanks."

This was my favorite thing about that dumbshit tweet.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

stillvisions posted:

Something I've learned over many years of watching the internet move collectively from platform to platform is that every single time the same people have their bullshit detectors wiped. The same people forwarding chain emails on usenet did it as reposts on livejournal, reblogs on tumblr and shares on facebook. Change the background color on the text that Bill Gates will give you $1000 if you share this and people will fall for it again.

People also have a massive confirmation bias - I was doing a fact checking tumblr and if it wasn't an urban legend I'd already seen my number 1 sniff test was simply "is this what someone on tumblr would want to believe".

Yeah, and the same people who made it impossible to teach evolution and who said pokemon was a satanic conspiracy are now anti-vaxxers and think Trump won the election. I know. The whole problem is that now all of those people can all talk to each other and no one can pierce that bubble.

I'm just so exhausted, man. I'm just so sick of it all. How can we put poo poo in space and fall for pyramid schemes? How can we develop vaccines and have people convince themselves there's microchips in them? I just want it all to stop

Grondoth fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 24, 2022

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Grondoth posted:

I'm just so exhausted, man. I just want it all to stop.

:same:

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel bad for him.
https://mobile.twitter.com/SuedeBlade/status/1485694312868642818

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Ah the "joys" of Japanese copyright. Also wow I didn't realize Suede was still doing stuff I haven't heard much about him in years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

Ah the "joys" of Japanese copyright. Also wow I didn't realize Suede was still doing stuff I haven't heard much about him in years.

He was definitely one of those folks who suffered as a result of the Channel Awesome exodus. Also finding out one of the co hosts of some of his most popular videos was a child grooming sex offender also really hosed him up and derailed his creative output.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

it was something stupid to do with nft voice acting and the company he was shilling for got caught stealing someone's elses work almost instantly

That was the kicker. Baker was working for a company whose eventual goal would lead to nobody needing voice actors anymore because you could just make whatever you want from a sound library.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
NFT's have lead to one neat thing being made...

https://twitter.com/VoicesByZane/status/1483876916591349762

:allears:

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arc Hammer posted:

It's much more realistic for a few people to make an indie game than it is to make an indie tv show, though.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Oh, Jose's newest sitcom retrospective isn't Frasier as you would expect following Cheers. No, instead he opted to do The Golden Girls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PlG--oz5dE

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
Also, Sean had a follow-up vid re. the BBC's transphobia and blatant lying.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Today's youth don't understand that the Golden Girls is one of the funniest shows to ever exist

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

One thing that did blow my mind about the NFT story is that apparently, you can't interact with the token without running the smart contract? Is that right? Like, you can't move or delete a token in your wallet without running foreign code?

Is that really how it works? That can't be how it works. I have to be missing something. Nobody could be dumb enough to design a system that way.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
That is, in fact, how it works. Since NFTs are just "smart contracts", and "smart contracts" are just computer programs, to interact with it on the blockchain you need to allow it to run code.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Skippy McPants posted:

One thing that did blow my mind about the NFT story is that apparently, you can't interact with the token without running the smart contract? Is that right? Like, you can't move or delete a token in your wallet without running foreign code?

Is that really how it works? That can't be how it works. I have to be missing something. Nobody could be dumb enough to design a system that way.

I'm not sure if it's necessarily the case for all smart contracts, but you can design a smart contract that will execute when it's interacted with. It's mind-numbing, yes.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

You are correct. However, whoever hosts the database containing the image can change it whenever and however they want without running the contract. As it must be stressed most NFTs do not actually contain the image, just a pointer to a database entry of the image. So if the database is changed you're poo poo out of luck.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I remember someone pointing out that opensea hosts all the jpegs, I mean nft, on Google. So an artist who got their art stolen can report to Google and boom that pic disappears regardless if anyone has traded in the nft.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Arist posted:

I'm not sure if it's necessarily the case for all smart contracts, but you can design a smart contract that will execute when it's interacted with. It's mind-numbing, yes.

Yeah, in this case, can is more or less synonym with will from a security perspective. Just mind-bogglingly dumb.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Terrible Opinions posted:

You are correct. However, whoever hosts the database containing the image can change it whenever and however they want without running the contract. As it must be stressed most NFTs do not actually contain the image, just a pointer to a database entry of the image. So if the database is changed you're poo poo out of luck.
That's only when you conceptualise NFTs as "just jpegs" when really they're "just smart* contracts" and that little asterisk often means "yeah it just tells your browser to open the URL of a page that loads a jpeg, maybe".

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Today's youth don't understand that the Golden Girls is one of the funniest shows to ever exist

actually i think today's youth understands that better than most did!

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

"Smart contracts" and DAOs are so frustatingly attempts at legal contracts designed as imagined by programmers in all aspects. Their problems are evident to anyone with basic understanding of law (and its practical realization); very similar to how hard it is explaining legality (most importantly - how exactly solve issues when there is a dispute or things go to poo poo) to programmers (and programmers-turned-managers and executives) in my daily work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Today's youth have memed the show back to popularity.