Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

BizarroAzrael posted:

Oh I didn't know Leicester Square was open, saves me going all the way to Earl's Court.

Any recommendations? Tenders or fried chicken? I'm curious about the burgers, I guess that's a matter of how good the sauce is?

Oh, also off the back of Food Insider I hit up Wing Stop a couple of times, think I need to try regular wings and some of the hotter coatings but Lemon Pepper boneless wings are lovely. Good Churros too but a touch pricey.

I had fried chicken (3 piece chicken joy meal) and a hot dog, and it was all rather nice. Hot dog is a fun additional item, comes covered in melted cheese.

Wing Stop is great, and they’re opening one in Kingston near me on Wednesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

The_Doctor posted:

I had fried chicken (3 piece chicken joy meal) and a hot dog, and it was all rather nice. Hot dog is a fun additional item, comes covered in melted cheese.

Wing Stop is great, and they’re opening one in Kingston near me on Wednesday.

Where do you come down on regular or boneless wings? Any coating recommendations?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Both are fine, honestly. Tenders are also an option, even if they’re just bigger boneless wings. Lemon pepper, Louisiana rub, Spicy Korean, and Manga Habanero are all good. Plus you can do half/half on flavours (I think a bunch of Americans complained because they didn’t offer that when they opened, but it’s a standard in the US outlets).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

I went after an awful date and Jollibee fried chicken is terrific! Really crispy, not wet with oil like KFC. Chips are decent, needed salt and didn't see if they had sachets. Had a burger on the side, kind of odd since it's kind of a signature item (or the sauce it) but it's just a burger with the sauce and cheese. Quite good though, meat has a flavour like school canteen ones, which I'm at least nostalgic for.

Might try the spirit l spaghetti, though it sounds weird, but I already want the chicken again.

I actually almost went today but there was a queue, so since I was going to stand in one anyway I went to Bunsik for Korean corn dogs (might not be called that) It was actually mostly cheese but good for it. Not too expensive either. Again want to try more of the menu

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Live thread live!

Tried Marugame by Liverpool Street today, it's good! A few items were out of stock but I had a really nice beef Nikutama. You go by a series of stations to order food, noodles first, then you can pick out some tempura, gyoza etc, then yaki and then stuff like drinks, it works well. Small cups for the coke freestyle would be my only issue, even with refills it's just inconvenient.

And I queued for about 40 minutes to try Wendy's, and don't feel bad about it. Had the Baconator but would like to investigate stuff like the chili and baked potatoes when the lines die down.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

And I queued for about 40 minutes to try Wendy's, and don't feel bad about it. Had the Baconator but would like to investigate stuff like the chili and baked potatoes when the lines die down.

The Stratford one? I'm planning to drop by, I miss Wendy's from when I lived in Michigan but I had assumed the lines would have dropped down by now. Its just fast food burgers people!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

I wonder if it’s like the Wendy’s reboot they did in the US. They tidied themselves up a few years back, doing nice burgers, sandwiches, and salads.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the best Korean BBQ in London

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

With or without going to New Malden?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
What’s the difference?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

About 15 miles? New Malden isn’t fun to get to, depending where you are. It’s also the Korean area in London.

For closer to Central London, Kalbi in Clerkenwell.

New Malden pick any Korean place and it’ll be amazing.

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 8, 2021

DoctorTristan
Mar 11, 2006

I would look up into your lifeless eyes and wave, like this. Can you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?
The all-you can eat BBQ place next to New Malden station is cheap but the food is a bit iffy, Han has the dodgy karaoke bar, Kang Nam will fry an entire chicken for you for about £10 (though I’d check the receipt - they ‘accidentally’ put an extra £5 on the card machine last time I was there), Yammi is all-around excellent , the others I don’t really know.

Also you should never, under any circumstances, drink soju.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Ate at Tofu Vegan in Islington - incredibly good food at OK prices. You can easily take non vegetarian people there and they'll have a great time.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
Bit late but Jin Go Gae and Sorabol in New Malden are the best for Korean BBQ. Jin Go Gae's a little further from the station but worth it. Does the Wetherspoons in New Malden still stock soju? Always found that a delightful adaptation to the location for a 'spoons.

Ate at Mao Chow on Mare Street recently - super good vegan Chinese, especially the Chongqing cauliflower. I'd never tried omnipork before but I'm totally sold based on their dumplings.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Disastrous news everyone, the company that owns Zedel (and the Wolsley and a bunch other restaurants) is filing for insolvency

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Nooooo!!

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

gently caress, I had to organise some industrial placements and they were ridiculously helpful. Gave me a really good opinion of the company generally.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

From the Times:

quote:

The Wolseley restaurant tycoons Corbin & King battle biggest investor

January 23 2022, The Sunday Times

It is the restaurant group where rival FTSE 100 bosses dine at neighbouring tables. But Corbin & King is now facing off with an opponent of its own.

Last week, the illustrious owner of The Wolseley and The Delaunay filed a motion in the High Court to stop its majority owner, Minor Hotels, calling in a £35 million loan, which would have forced the company into insolvency.
The legal action comes after a spectacular falling out between Corbin & King and the leisure giant, which is one of the largest hotel operators in the Asia Pacific, and has owned its stake since 2017.

Corbin & King, founded by restaurateurs Chris Corbin and Jeremy King, has lined up an investor from New York to allow it to cut ties with Minor, but talks have hit a roadblock.

King, 67, declined to comment on the court action. “It’s not unusual for shareholders to have a difference of opinion,” he said. “But it’s a shame to have this distraction because the restaurants are performing so well.”

Corbin & King is among the restaurant groups to have grappled with forced closures, staff shortages and rent negotiations with its landlords during the pandemic.
This week, its legal case against its insurer Axa will be heard in the High Court. Corbin & King brought the action over Axa’s refusal to pay out for Covid losses.

Corbin & King began in 2003 when the pair opened The Wolseley in Piccadilly, in a former car showroom next to the Ritz. They also run Colbert, Fischer’s, Soutine and The Delaunay.

The founders have been in business together for more than 40 years after making their name at London restaurants including Le Caprice and The Ivy — now run by Richard Caring.

They met in the 1970s when Corbin was manager at Langan’s Brasserie, which was co-owned by the actor Michael Caine. They took on their first restaurant, Le Caprice, in 1981. In its latest accounts, for the year to December 2020, sales fell from £53.1 million to £22.5 million amid the Covid restrictions.

Minor invested in Corbin & King in 2017, buying out Graphite Capital, which had backed the restaurant group since 2012. At the time, Minor said it planned to expand in the UK and “key international markets”, and there were plans to open a Wolseley-style restaurant in the City of London, two more in the West End and in St John’s Wood.
King had also identified the first overseas site for the group in New York. However, it is understood that Minor wanted to expand overseas more aggressively than Corbin and King were willing to countenance. Those plans are now on hold as Corbin & King and its backers have appointed advisers for their legal battle.

Minor said it was addressing the protection measure filed through the “appropriate channels”, and that it had “repeatedly offered terms to recapitalise the company”.

King once said of his restaurants: “They’re like children — if you don’t love them all, it’s dangerous.”

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

tarbrush posted:

Disastrous news everyone, the company that owns Zedel (and the Wolsley and a bunch other restaurants) is filing for insolvency

Oh no!!! The Delaunay was always my treat for breakfast before a major exam or interview and zedel is such a fantastic spot in town.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Oh no!!! The Delaunay was always my treat for breakfast before a major exam or interview and zedel is such a fantastic spot in town.

Apparently it’s not due to losing money unsustainably but a clash between the operators/founders and a large shareholder.

https://www.propelinfonews.com/pi-Newsletter.php?datetime=2022-01-22%2012:00:00

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The article I posted looks like they’ve got another major investor lined up, so I’m not too worried. I should try the Delaunay for breakfast though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
https://twitter.com/hansmollman/status/1486725979007451142?t=sbOo7uChqD3oJhem5zWPDA&s=19

Phew

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oh I just got that email too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STenouUQ3e8

quote:

The last time I wrote to you and shared a video, was during the pandemic – when I asked for help and was overwhelmed by your support and the generosity you showed for the restaurants and more particularly our staff – it was very reassuring.

Now it is my turn to reassure you.

If you do have a couple of minutes, please watch the video above as I am able to explain quickly and in more detail the situation I now find myself in.

You may have seen reports of Corbin & King going into administration. That may have left you worried about reservations you have made, private events you were planning, about using the vouchers you so generously purchased.

Please don’t be concerned.

This administration is a technical one. It has been invoked by an investor, Minor International, in an attempt to seize control of the company. It applies to just one company – the holding company – in the Corbin & King estate. We have 14 other companies running our restaurants.

I can assure you that all the restaurants are fully solvent, trading well, and all our staff and suppliers are secure and fully paid

It is very much ‘business as usual’.

I plan to buy the holding company out of administration – paying back all monies – so that we can get back to doing what we do best.

I hope to see you soon.

With best wishes,
<squiggle>

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006
Afternoon!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced, reasonably quick lunch near Shaftesbury Avenue on a Saturday?
Any type of cuisine.

Taking my wife to see Les Mis tomorrow (after a 2 year delay due to the pandemic).
I know that given the location we might be spoilt for choice, but we're trying to avoid the standard grab a burger/sandwich and find something a bit more interesting.
TIA.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Badgers Nadgers posted:

Afternoon!

Has anyone got any recommendations for a reasonably priced, reasonably quick lunch near Shaftesbury Avenue on a Saturday?
Any type of cuisine.

Taking my wife to see Les Mis tomorrow (after a 2 year delay due to the pandemic).
I know that given the location we might be spoilt for choice, but we're trying to avoid the standard grab a burger/sandwich and find something a bit more interesting.
TIA.

Brasserie Zedel is my default recommendation for central London. Also look at Wun's Tea house which I absolutely love and another option would be Noble Rot Soho who do a brilliant value set lunch.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Definitely Zedel, although book now.

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks for recommendations.
Sadly, looks like Zedel is all booked up for tomorrow, will remember to book in advance next time.
I'll check out the other two and see.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

Bao is a pretty good option (if it's still open :ohdear:) and not far from the

Badgers Nadgers
Aug 7, 2006
Thanks again for suggestions. Noting these all down, as next time I'm going to have to be more organised.
Everywhere we went was booked up and we ended up in St James' Tavern which was....disappointing, but my wife was happy with her fish and chips.

Les Mis was amazing though.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Hi thread,

How are we all. Slightly off topic question. I have the rest of the week off - do people have favorite places to enjoy the sunshine and read a book during the day? Thinking principally cafes, but very open to other suggestions, and not at all averse to day drinking.

Thanks!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The cafe actually in Russell Square would be nice?

(You should read Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch there)

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Mar 10, 2022

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO

The_Doctor posted:

The cafe actually in Russell Square would be nice?

Noted both, thanks! Cafe Tropea, right?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

tarbrush posted:

Noted both, thanks! Cafe Tropea, right?

That’s the one!

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

The_Doctor posted:

This was not my sort of series but I rather enjoyed it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Oof, prices have all gone up at Zedel. The Formule meal has gone up from £20 to £27!

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The_Doctor posted:

Oof, prices have all gone up at Zedel. The Formule meal has gone up from £20 to £27!

Yikes, there goes it's position as the default recommendation for a good value meal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

The prix fixe for 2 courses is only £13 still, so that’s viable.

Edit: menu link

The_Doctor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on May 19, 2022

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Hey! I was about to try to resurrect this thread myself!

Where's good for Mexican? I went to Tacos Padre in Borough Market last weekend and it was...fine. There's also El Pastor over there to try. I think both Poncho 8 and Benito's hat are gone now? I like Chilango but it would be tragic if that was the best we had. Think there's a place in the Shoreditch Boxpark too.

On the lower end of the spectrum, after taking maybe half a year to open the Stratford branch Wendy's seem to have opened in Ilford today after suddenly appearing in place of a pound shop maybe a month or two ago. Weird location honestly, but cool I guess.

Speaking of UK expansions of US brands, I visited Seattle in November and really liked MOD Pizza, made to order personal pizzas with what seems to be a nice company culture. Turns out they had actually expanded to the UK, opened maybe a dozen branches here including just off Leicester Square without me noticing, and apparently collapsed early into COVID. Don't know if things would have worked out without the pandemic but that's really disappointing.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Yeah, MOD was a favourite pit stop of mine when I’d be in central London. The only bad thing was complete lack of phone signal or wifi in the Leicester Square branch. It’s a shame they folded, I’d really like them to come back.

Mexican is something we still do very poorly at. I’m not sure if the UK just can’t get the ingredients, or we just don’t try hard enough, but every time I’ve tried a place in London, it’s been bad. I’d accept either proper Mexican or tex-mex.

Look at this delicious chimichanga I had in the US. I want that here, and it honestly shouldn’t be a chore to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

CHOO CHOO
Santo remedio near Borough Market has been reviewed very well as modern Mexican, but I've not been myself.