Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

breath(e)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Does anyone have a good shop to find spare respirator parts.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Pigmassacre posted:

If you don't have to isolate while experiencing symptoms, why even isolate at all?
If there's such a high degree of immunity, why isolate at all?
Why does nothing matter anymore?

Who cares! Go Team Death!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

she hasn’t done anything to become an “expert” she’s a loving economics lich
god damnit I loving hate this woman’s face I feel sorry for her kid having to look at that expression every god damned day, not to mention the explicit knowledge that she hates being a parent and children in general

maybe if she didn’t think that weird frown/surprised eyes/grimace gives off an air of authority but to me it just says “no, children don’t die you idiot.”

i am harry fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jan 24, 2022

mystes
May 31, 2006

What do you expect from someone named "mod moron"?

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

lol one of my favorite neighbors just walked by with a backpack and a plastic tote and announced that he’s about to get on a greyhound and may never return to his apartment. Bro was wearing a cloth mask. I hustled to my apartment and grabbed him a sealed aura and a ten pack of powecoms and I was barely done saying “this is the one they put on biden, wear this on the bus, these are good too” before his uber rolled up

If I heard him right while I was running to the mask stash, his first stop will be to visit his girlfriend who is living with her mom that is definitely covid positive, before continuing to a third state where there’s some family stuff that won’t happen a second time. I genuinely like this guy, I hope it goes okay, but goddamn.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh

*Updates spreadsheet, presses report button for false advertising *

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
her contribution to economics knowledge for her phd was so wrong she had to refute it, while she got to keep the phd I dunno that you can even call her an expert in that. she writes some books about how she hates her kids that I guess sell well on the thotlead circuit or whatever.

anywhere that would employ her as a professor is a place of fraud - but look, freakonomics is the poo poo we deserve - praise number

Glumwheels
Jan 25, 2003

https://twitter.com/BidenHQ

So can I get the pills I need that helps my condition but isn’t yet approved for treating it?

How the gently caress did the chuds swing this?

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Glumwheels posted:

So can I get the pills I need that helps my condition but isn’t yet approved for treating it?

only if it's cheaper than the approved treatment

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
insurance companies also pay for chiropractors and acupuncture and poo poo, they don't give a gently caress if the treatment works if it makes sense financially

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010

Real Mean Queen posted:

Yeah it feels like the antivaxxers aren’t the enemy to the extent they were during the delta wave, and now the enemy is just the people who won’t say everything is fine. It reminds me of twelve angry men. The murder isn’t the problem, the wrong guy going down for it isn’t the problem, the problem is the rear end in a top hat that won’t say “yep nothing wrong here” and let everybody go home.

Of course, this is a little different, because there’s no home to go to. Even if we all unanimously agree that covid is over, the virus isn’t going to hear that and understand that it lost the vote and can’t exist any more. It’s just going to keep tearing rear end and killing everybody in exciting new ways.

Every loving day I feel like I'm Isabelle Ajdani's character in Nosferatu walking through town at the end scene.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Glumwheels posted:

Insurance companies are going to get the sweet sweet ICU ventilator money out of it, so it works for them.

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
My workplace now considers fully vaccinated as having the booster. 2 shots no longer entitles you to quarantine pay if you get sick, gotta have 3.

Still can't have a mandate however.

Zurtilik
Oct 23, 2015

The Biggest Brain in Guardia

I didn't grow up in Pittsburgh

A fraud!

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

My workplace now considers fully vaccinated as having the booster. 2 shots no longer entitles you to quarantine pay if you get sick, gotta have 3.

Still can't have a mandate however.

Within ten years any and all vaccination mandates will be gone in red states lol

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

Platystemon posted:

What expertise does Oster even ostensibly have?

healthcare economics

(lmao)

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
"healthcare economist" remains the absolute highest conjunction of Funny and Terrifying to come out of this whole thing

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Blackhawk posted:

People just don't loving get that saying "covid isn't going away" isn't the get out of jail free card they think it is. You loving idiots, covid not going away means that we have to keep up vaccines, mask use, social distancing, work from home etc. etc. FOREVER, it doesn't mean we just get to go back to normal.

Why is it that when humans think about something unpleasant they don't want to do, they always assume that the alternative to doing that thing is by default better. It's like we're hard-wired to think that we should always have a 'good' option, or at least one we find personally acceptable. Every time some gently caress tells me that 'we can't keep locking down forever' I want to scream, because the alternative to that is we just get sick and die a shitload which IMO isn't better than locking down forever.

And, like has been pointed out in this thread, I haven't seen a single compelling evidence or logic/reason based indication that this poo poo is ever going to go away or get significantly better, and in fact quite the opposite.

Living with COVID means always masking in public areas, or at least doing so whenever cases move above a certain level. It means remote work becoming the default. It means needing to be vaccinated to do pretty much anything outside of your home. It means a cultural shift to not leaving the house if at all possible when sick, and wearing a mask if you do have to leave. It means that and much more. But anyone who says "we have to learn to live with COVID" means none of those things. They mean they just want to pretend it doesn't exist and that it is 2019 again.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lead was phased out of gas before the early eighties

My grandfather lived in an environment bathed in lead and lived an incredibly unhealthy lifestyle and he's still cranking

Lead levels had a looooooong decline.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
In the entire Western world we couldn't even just normalize wearing a mask if you're sick or just generally wearing one on public transit and poo poo like that. The simplest and easiest possible thing we could have done.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Glumwheels posted:

Ivermectin is cheaper than dealing with terrorism from chuds

If the pills that help your condition but are being prescribed off label are expensive and you aren't a terrorist then no the insurance company won't pay for it

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
welp employee that is due in a couple of months has covid. at least she's vaccinated

:smith:

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Thoguh posted:

In the entire Western world we couldn't even just normalize wearing a mask if you're sick or just generally wearing one on public transit and poo poo like that. The simplest and easiest possible thing we could have done.

Seven bus drivers have died here from covid they got on the job.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

Thoguh posted:

Living with COVID means always masking in public areas, or at least doing so whenever cases move above a certain level. It means remote work becoming the default. It means needing to be vaccinated to do pretty much anything outside of your home. It means a cultural shift to not leaving the house if at all possible when sick, and wearing a mask if you do have to leave. It means that and much more. But anyone who says "we have to learn to live with COVID" means none of those things. They mean they just want to pretend it doesn't exist and that it is 2019 again.

I think I've complained about this before but it's pretty amazing how many people I know who have decided that covid isn't a big deal because they're just tired of dealing with it.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
anyone have tips for keeping morale up at home?

i know it's a long shot but my partner is seriously not okay and it won't be until later this year that i stand a chance of making enough money so that he can hit da bricks. right now we're leaning hard on d8, streaming services, and phone calls to family that are on the same page covid-wise.

this sucks

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Thoguh posted:

lives with malaria by fearlessly hacking through the jungle with a machete and a pith helmet

loving dies

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Thoguh posted:

You can't see someone smile with a mask 😡

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://twitter.com/MattNegrin/status/1485624013300936706

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

Does anyone want to split a pack of Secureclick D9093s? I don't need loving 60 of the drat things and it's too costly otherwise to upgrade, since in Canadian conditions harsh environment water protection is essential.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

big milestone reached in Denmark today as pediatric hospitalizations finally outpace the 80+ year olds. very good. that's very good. i'm not mad about that at all.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

not_superiority posted:

i know it's a long shot but my partner is seriously not okay and it won't be until later this year that i stand a chance of making enough money so that he can hit da bricks. right now we're leaning hard on d8, streaming services, and phone calls to family that are on the same page covid-wise.

this sucks

Get out of the house in ways that are safe. Go to a park, or hike if you can. Make plans for the weekend. Basically have things to look forward to that you know you'll be able to do

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

ikr plus the hot teacher that directs traffic at my son’s school is like the highlight of my day.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

not_superiority posted:

this sucks

Hiking trails are helping me, I go at sunrise when there are few people there

Home improvement

Hobbies

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

not_superiority posted:

this sucks

Where are you? If you can get outdoors do it. My job sucks but I'm outside a lot and I think it helps. If a work out routine is an option I'd get on that. Good luck!

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Since “covid is not going away” can I get some stylish PPE that isn’t a tech scam already? Like we’re not allowed to try to eliminate covid but we’re also not allowed to adapt our lives to a forever pandemic. It’s fuckin lazy.

It's bullshit that two years in to this there are only two companies - Envomask and Flomask - that are even trying to fill the space of non wasteland looking re-usable respirators.

How Darwinian
Feb 27, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

https://youtu.be/wW4OIJSobvQ

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

why does the host of hardball have a ff7 profile pic

my god the future is weird and terrifying

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Dude’s reaction to the nice masks offer made me kind of queasy. I asked if he had a good mask and he was like uhhh yeah a cloth one and his eyes kind of lit up when I asked if he wanted an n95, like it was some storied treasure he knew from fables. He tried to give me money, because surely these riches couldn’t have cost me a combined total of twelve loving dollars and spent months gathering dust in my closet while the only people with access to them frolicked in elastomerics.

That’s troubling. This isn’t a stupid guy, but he just straight up didn’t seem to know that you can get a box of good masks for less money than it costs to eat a disappointing sandwich. If I had just handed him twelve dollars and said bon voyage, that would have been strange. The same amount of money in masks that sort of work is a big deal. The messaging on masks is hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.
Something tells me I shouldn't pursue the job in another city where the guy on zoom is coughing and recovering from COVID in an office that rejected the statewide mask mandate and only locked down for 3 weeks since 2020.