Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

January 6 Survivor
Jan 6, 2022

The
Nelson Mandela
of clapping
dusty old cheeks

( o(

quite a few red and black flags too, and knowing the ukraine I have high doubts that it's a reference to anarcho-communism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

https://twitter.com/poppy_haze/status/1485484742233501696

betting on how many ppl will die, grisly

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

what are the odds on the war not happening?

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

What? Who told you that? Just not go to war? That's crazy.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

What are the CSPAM odds?

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

FishBulbia posted:

https://twitter.com/ClaireBerlinski/status/1485561110732419072

You know, If WW3 ever kicked off US forces would probably help the Turkish army do some horrific poo poo in the Caucasus

The whole “Hybrid Warfare” model that’s been pushed so hard in Defence circles the past 10 years means that as far as NATO policy is concerned, Armenians are an internal military threat to Turkey, the same way Russian-speakers and ethnic Russians are considered a Fifth Column in the Baltic and Ukraine.

I wonder if this is a chicken or egg situation where NATOs assessment of these communities are the result of the politics of the countries we let into NATO, or if NATO is pushing the “threat” they pose to bind those countries closer to the alliance.

Anyways, The official US doctrine assessment on Russian Warfare places all of those civilian populations next to Spetsnaz as a threat to NATO’s rear echelon and the civilian governments of those states. It’s why Poland Started up a Home Guard in eastern Poland, the Baltics now have armed militias. It’s an extremely dangerous situation, with the obvious implication you pointed out, I just can’t place whose idea this was. We’ve created a situation where “securing” these dangerous, internal enemies who are Russian weapons against the Homeland is a NATO doctrine.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:30 on Jan 24, 2022

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Lostconfused posted:

What? Who told you that? Just not go to war? That's crazy.

https://twitter.com/EndGameWW3/status/1485528836863320068?s=20

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I spoke to my nuts this morning they say that the starting date for the invasion is valentines day Feb 14

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

wouldn't you want to start the invasion during the Olympics when most of the world is preoccupied

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

lol "he made his move on this date before" as if that's ever going to be a consideration. they can't even make this bullshit sound halfway convincing

actually it's that Putin is looking forward to the release of Total War Warhammer 3 and wants to take a few days to play it before he gets bogged down in invasion admin

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I'd like to hear what he thinks of the new Kislev update tbh.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Total war 3 really makes the chinese and russians out to be the good guys.

The west are the ogres because of their need to consume and exploit everything and Greasus Goldtooth is donald trump and the american psyche.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, and France has been selling the Greeks a bunch of weapons aimed at Turkey.

Honestly, I wonder if a general war happens how much of NATO would either keep its heads down or something like a Greco-Turkish conflict would drag in other members.

——

Also, I guess you can armchair strategize what a Russian force would actually do, but I guess my strategy would be to.

1. Start up the conflict in Donbas to drag in the main elements of the Ukrainian army
2. Shutdown the Ukrainian Air Force/AA/command control with cruise/ballistic missile strikes
3. Hit Khakiv then Poltava in the north and Mariupol in the south
4. Have the two forces link up in Dnipro, entrapping most of the Ukrainian ground forces
5. Send a force to take Kiev as the rest of front line is in complete chaos

Also, you could have smaller scale probing attacks across the country just designed to drag more Ukrainian resources from the main area of action. Hell, you could even have an assault through the exclusion zone, Russian mbts/apcs all are designed around NBC warfare and honestly there may not be a serious force between the south edge of the zone and Kiev,

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:25 on Jan 24, 2022

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

the russian mind has a predilection for chronological symmetry

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, and France has been selling the Greeks a bunch of weapons aimed at Turkey.

Honestly, I wonder if a war happens how much of NATO would either keep its heads down or actively start turning on each other to settle old scores.

I thought some sort of deal was brokered after Russia sold S-300s to Cyprus? My understanding was that there was supposed to be a halt on the sale of potent weapons to the Aegean. Anything that could reach across the fence, at least.

Greece and Turkey being in the same military alliance while the status of Cyprus is undetermined hasn’t really made sense to me, certainly after 1991. The comedy answer is that NATO has to deploy the Italians between them, like the Axis did to prevent the Romanians and Hungarians from fighting each other instead of the Russians.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Al-Saqr posted:

The west are the ogres because of their need to consume and exploit everything and Greasus Goldtooth is donald trump and the american psyche.

Guess that means I will be playing Nurgle and sweeping over the map consuming all of those fools

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Frosted Flake posted:

I thought some sort of deal was brokered after Russia sold S-300s to Cyprus? My understanding was that there was supposed to be a halt on the sale of potent weapons to the Aegean. Anything that could reach across the fence, at least.

Greece and Turkey being in the same military alliance while the status of Cyprus is undetermined hasn’t really made sense to me, certainly after 1991. The comedy answer is that NATO has to deploy the Italians between them, like the Axis did to prevent the Romanians and Hungarians from fighting each other instead of the Russians.

Maybe in terms of missile systems, but the French have been arming the Greeks to the teeth recently including capital ships and jet fighters. Honestly, I have a hard time seeing either one pulling serious forces against Russia (especially the Greeks) when the other side is ready to pounce.

Also, the Italians are very Russophilic at this point. The Germans are trying to get involved etc…

Hell, it is a good question of what the hell NATO is at this point beyond a way to manage arms sales since most of its members have their own agendas.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

Feldegast42 posted:

Guess that means I will be playing Nurgle and sweeping over the map consuming all of those fools

Imagine playing chaos and not worshipping the god of sex drugs and rock and roll, Slaanesh. have fun Popping Zits my dude.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Greece flipping so that Russia can force the straits and restore Constantinople would be the funniest way History could roar back to life, I’ll say that much.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

no way this is real its soo drat stupid

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Agrajag posted:

no way this is real its soo drat stupid

it's "confirmed"

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

it's "confirmed"

+ "may"

I don't think that's how logic works

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

yeah you want to wait for the olympics to end in case the us declines to participate and spikes the defcon meter, which causes you to lose.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Ardennes posted:

3. Hit Khakiv then Poltava in the north and Mariupol in the south
4. Have the two forces link up in Dnipro, entrapping most of the Ukrainian ground forces
5. Send a force to take Kiev as the rest of front line is in complete chaos

gradenko_2000 posted:

35th and 36th Army advances south on the west bank of the Dnieper, then wheels around to take a crossing at Kremenchug

then 20th and 6th Army advances across the steppe along the line Belgorod-Kharkov-Poltava to link up with the pincer at Kremenchug

Kiev is caught in a giant kessel and the whole thing gets wrapped up in two weeks

:sickos: more and more people are saying!!!

it just makes sense geographically

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

Has anyone posted this yet? It's a story from a few weeks ago about the toll the US's sanctions are taking on Afghanistan:

https://theintercept.com/2022/01/09/afghanistan-sanctions-human-rights-hawks/

quote:

While limited humanitarian exceptions for trade have been carved out in recent weeks, the World Health Organization has already warned that up to 1 million Afghan children may die as a result of malnutrition over this winter if drastic steps are not taken. Children are already bearing the brunt of the humanitarian catastrophe, punctuated by horrifying stories of kids being sold to pay for food. And the country’s notoriously harsh winter is already taking a toll: Afghans are freezing to death as they flee the country with their families.

U.S. sanctions policy is directly to blame, pushing Afghans over the edge as they already struggle to deal with the Covid-19 pandemic and the political upheaval created by the collapse of the central government. As Paul Spiegel, director of the Center for Humanitarian Health at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health, wrote this December, after returning from a trip to Afghanistan on behalf of the WHO, “I can clearly state that if the United States and other Western governments do not change their Afghanistan sanction policies, more Afghans will die from sanctions than at the hands of the Taliban.”

The WHO is saying a million children could starve to death over the next few months. I wonder if this will get the same intensity of coverage in the media as Xinjiang

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
The US killing a million people to save face is normal. Not worth reporting

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
'we will invade Ukraine and conquer them in the name of Russia...after the olympics, let everyone have fun first'.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

sexpig by night posted:

'we will invade Ukraine and conquer them in the name of Russia...after the olympics, let everyone have fun first'.

if ukraine doesnt manage to win at least one gold medal big bad putins gonna forclose on their country

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

sexpig by night posted:

Should do it at opening ceremony so all the medal winners from Ukraine have to have the Russian anthem played for their awards

Muscle Wizard
Jul 28, 2011

by sebmojo

Al-Saqr posted:

'ate chaos
'ate kislev
'ate cathay (not racis jus don't like em)
luv da tribe
luv me tyrant
luv da maw
simple as

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

OhFunny posted:

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/1/24/uk-pulls-staff-from-ukraine-as-fears-of-war-rise-liveblog

The UK is pulling some of its embassy staff and their families out of Ukraine now as well.

thats however many less pedos in ukraine

so good news

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Agrajag posted:

everyone in the world that isnt the uk going "who caaaares"

the uk is so embarrassingly pathetically desperate for some sort of relevance in the world

also pretty telling that the UK suddenly started hyping up their involvement in Ukraine and nebulous threats to the Ukrainian government that big strong Britain will help them defeat, as soon as Boris Johnson started facing serious domestic trouble over partying during Covid lockdowns.

I still think it likely that this entire situation is being wildly oversold by the Biden administration as a way to look tough internationally to combat Biden's flagging poll numbers, and now the UK is throwing their hat in for the exact same reason.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Frosted Flake posted:

Greece flipping so that Russia can force the straits and restore Constantinople would be the funniest way History could roar back to life, I’ll say that much.

The Japanese are going to transit their "helicopter carrying destroyers" through the Dardanelles in accordance with the Montreaux Convention except with their new F35Bs and surprise the Russian fleet in port at Sevastapol in order to liberate Kurile and Sakhalin.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Throatwarbler posted:

The Japanese are going to transit their "helicopter carrying destroyers" through the Dardanelles in accordance with the Montreaux Convention except with their new F35Bs and surprise the Russian fleet in port at Sevastapol in order to liberate Kurile and Sakhalin.

Neil Breen movies have a more coherent plot

FishBulbia
Dec 22, 2021

the invasion seems to be perpetually 2 weeks out

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Comrade Koba posted:

the ukrainian flag in the middle has a black angular thing on it, could it be some variation of the azov rune?

I did a bit more digging and it's definitely a Right Sector flag on the right, and I suspect the other red and black one is too. It looks like it could be the one with three wolves on it that they've flown a couple of variants of before (I think it's the one where they're not in a shield). They change them around a lot and the whole thing was apparently moved to a different site at one point, so it's quite hard to tell

The memorial is in a city called Avdiivka, just north of Donetsk near the airport, and it's apparently for units involved in the fighting there (I think mostly from the battle in 2017, Right Sector were also involved in taking the city in 2014 but there are photos of them there from later than that). Looking at the other photos none of the blue and yellow ones you can see the emblem on look like the Azov one and the only reference I could find to them being in Avdiivka is a paper saying they could only find one unsourced reference to them being there, so I think they're probably mostly Ukrainian army ones?

Either way, probably at least two far right flags on that memorial and they're possibly still in the area.

here's zelensky visiting it with the right sector flag up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4pGJ4qsC-o

e: goona get the brown moses disease

XMNN has issued a correction as of 18:04 on Jan 24, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

the one thing thats kinda shaking me is that russia invading ukraine would be incredibly stupid for a billion reasons, but also the american government is clearly incompetent and did all sorts of stupid wars

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

so how well can they fight when measured by per talibans

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/idjnyx/status/1484996014415040512?s=20

Hindutvas are going to lead to India being colonized again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

StashAugustine posted:

the one thing thats kinda shaking me is that russia invading ukraine would be incredibly stupid for a billion reasons, but also the american government is clearly incompetent and did all sorts of stupid wars

i like that western analysis of russia's motives is just: putin evil!!!!

like what is even russia's motive for this supposed war even? the donbas isn't about to be overrun by ukraine and why would russia want to annex a country with more people and weapons and gladio units than chechnya? like the only cogent reason i've heard is that russia wants the southern coast because the kerch peninsula sucks to reach crimea by, but is a overland route really worth the trouble?