Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I track vertical and just use an altimeter watch. My dad has tracked it my whole life so I have an excel spreadsheet accounting for every vertical foot I've ever skied broken down by year and mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

bawfuls posted:

I track vertical and just use an altimeter watch. My dad has tracked it my whole life so I have an excel spreadsheet accounting for every vertical foot I've ever skied broken down by year and mountain

What's the SUM() so far?

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Now that I look I only have the stats through 2019 on this computer, my dad has the updated sheet (I just send him daily numbers throughout the year).

Through the 18-19 season I had 12.2M vertical feet over 750 days. This is a pretty pedestrian 16.3k per day. My single day record is 43k or so (set some time around middle school I think), and my single day powder record is just over 40k (absolutely epic day at Snowbird in 2014). Biggest seasons were 07-08 and 09-10 both around 860k, but I was lazier in the earlier year, doing it in 63 days vs 48 days in 09-10. 6.19M of the total was at Mammoth, a proportion that rose substantially after high school when I didn't get to tag along on all my dad's trips and had to get the most for my money.

We also try to keep track of how much is powder and that was at 1.42M through '19. From 2008-2011 I had a three season span where powder accounted for >20% of my total vertical each winter. That was ski bum/early grad school time. I believe after the 2010 season I held the "family record" for powder vertical in a season at 198k but my dad retired the following year and annihilated my mark. My worst season as an adult for powder proportion was 15-16 at only 3.3%.

There are 85 different areas in my spreadsheet history, but I've only added 3 in the last decade.

Day counts have varied over the years. Growing up it was somewhat consistently around 18 days per year. In college I averaged more than 26 days per year, and the first four years after undergrad I averaged nearly 46 days a year. But since then I'm back to more like 20.

I have also been recording which pair of skis I used each day for the past 6 or so seasons, but that's info buried in the raw data on my dad's machine and I haven't done anything with it yet.

I don't know why my dad started tracking this but he did it his whole ski life (started in his 20's) and my whole life, so it's something I feel compelled to continue forever.

bawfuls fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Jan 21, 2022

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

So probably around 10% of the way to moon, good going!

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001

The Glumslinger posted:

Do people have a favorite app for tracking their skiing? Speed, distance, elevation, maybe a GPS map?

Slopes is nice. Tracking is solid, the updates come out pretty frequently, and I appreciate the developer's position on privacy. You can auto dump out to Strava. Unlike some apps, it considers going down the hill a run, not the lift up. The new friends feature is great for finding people in your friends list when you want to meet up. I had a question once on how a feature worked, and the emailed me back quickly. Free version works well, paid version has a few extra features.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Residency Evil posted:

How many of us ITT grew up learning to ski on this trash mountain hill.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I learned to ski on como golf course in Saint Paul. They had FOUR rope tows and you could build jumps coming out of the sand traps.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

The Glumslinger posted:

Do people have a favorite app for tracking their skiing? Speed, distance, elevation, maybe a GPS map?
I like Trace. I recently tried Strava and the tracking itself worked fine, and having most of my friends on there is a plus, but Trace automatically detects lifts and starts/stops runs for you and displays them individually if you want. Strava might do that if you pay for premium or whatever but lol.

Fifty Three fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 21, 2022

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I learned to ski on como golf course in Saint Paul. They had FOUR rope tows and you could build jumps coming out of the sand traps.

This sounds amazing

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

There and Hidden Valley.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Same here. Rode a ton of 7 springs in college.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Yup. Learned mostly at Hidden Valley, been to 7S a few times, now I just go to Laurel Mtn if I want a mediocre rust belt skiing experience instead.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

At least it gives us perspective. Even the worst days here in CO are like a dream compared to PA. Plus my edge control is sick now lol

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
7 springs is some of the worst skiing in the country and when I was 5 it was the coolest place on earth

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Time posted:

7 springs is some of the worst skiing in the country and when I was 5 it was the coolest place on earth

Same. Same.

The last time I went was years ago when I was home for some reason. Took a run down a few hundred feet of vertical then waited in a 20 minute lift line with a bunch of yinzers, all for the bargain price of $70 or $80 bucks.

I haven't been back.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Mr. Bean goes skiing

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

Had a nice day at Targhee today, despite getting some really bad flat light at the end.

I just moved out here in November but apparently this is pretty normal for Targhee.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
Yeah I rode targhee a lot when I was younger and blue skies were for sure a rarity. More common was fog so thick that visibility was less than 10 feet. It was a surreal feeling being on the lift and only being able to see a few feet of the cable and nothing else until the ramp comes flying at you.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
I loved, loved, loved Jackson’s mountain but drat I don’t know if I would give up our abundant sunshine for it.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
That's why it's known as grand foggee

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHDB75gkdY

Black Crows continues with their baller "Ghost Resorts" series.

As someone who lives not too far from Fortress it's neat to see this. They've been talking for years of reopening but i'll believe it when I see it. If they can keep the Cat operation going then good on them.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

First day out since the start of covid today! Morning was rough, my fitness is basically zero, but after lunch actually felt really good, nice to know that my technique didn’t completely disappear after nearly two years off.

Daughter also had her first day ever skiing. She went from being super hype in the past few weeks, to being super anxious and refusing to go in the last few days, to being interested and ultimately deciding to try it today. I only go to watch her make one run down the bunny slope, but she was already trying to make a turn and doing it pretty well. Have a feeling that in a couple years’ time she’ll be crushing it.

bawfuls posted:

I don't know why my dad started tracking this but he did it his whole ski life (started in his 20's) and my whole life, so it's something I feel compelled to continue forever.

That’s a hall of fame dad move, might have to steal it

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

That’s a hall of fame dad move, might have to steal it
It is a super nerdy dad move but it is fun to look back on over the years.

For the first 15-ish years of his ski life he did it each day in his head i.e. he looked up & had memorized the vertical of each lift at the places he skis and kept a running tally each day. I remember it was a big deal when the Avocet Vertech watch came out in the early 90's, now we could count at new places that didn't list lift vertical on the trail map! I'm pretty sure he still has and uses his original version of that watch.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

My dad just highlighted the runs we did on the resort map and I hung it on the wall in my room

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Wistful of Dollars posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRHDB75gkdY

Black Crows continues with their baller "Ghost Resorts" series.

As someone who lives not too far from Fortress it's neat to see this. They've been talking for years of reopening but i'll believe it when I see it. If they can keep the Cat operation going then good on them.

Sick

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I just can’t win. New poles, holy poo poo they weigh nothing, but they’ve both got indexed baskets just off to the right like this

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

If it's stuck with heat glue, you can just use a heat gun or some boiling water to loosen it, then move it and it'll set. A heat gun and a glue gun are useful things to have anyway. Or maybe ask the shop to do it.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

I tripped barefoot on the steps outside while carrying new skis out to cure DPS Phantom in the sun today and managed to peel back half a toe nail on my big toe. Hope I can get it into a ski boot in 7 days!

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Residency Evil posted:

How many of us ITT grew up learning to ski on this trash mountain hill.

I wish I’d learned at 7S - it’s a practical paradise compared to Mt Brighton, where I learned.

(No, not the one in Utah.)

First day out this season was good, kid’s first day on skis ever was good, sliding on snow is always good - even on trash heaps.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Ola posted:

If it's stuck with heat glue, you can just use a heat gun or some boiling water to loosen it, then move it and it'll set. A heat gun and a glue gun are useful things to have anyway. Or maybe ask the shop to do it.

Thanks for the tip. My buddy/race partner who just got the same poles was like “they rotate you idiot” except he didn’t get the indexed 3/4 baskets, which don’t. I’ll ski with them and see if the crookedness actually bothers me, and probably contact BD to ask their advice if so. I’ve got no idea how the tips are attached, and they’re super light carbon fiber; I’d be personally (as an uninformed idiot about such things) concerned about how heat would affect the shaft.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

We had some unexpected family show up in town so we bought some last minute tickets to A-Basin to join them. Had a great day. Pretty soft and pretty much no lines. Which is really good seeing as a last minute saturday lift ticket was $179. Literally cheaper to go to keystone and breck last minute. The things you do for family.

Also got another core shot in the rock skis, pretty easy fix though.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Steve French posted:

I just can’t win. New poles, holy poo poo they weigh nothing, but they’ve both got indexed baskets just off to the right like this

I bought some (on sale, extremely unnecessary) carbon fiber poles to embrace my disposable income dork. I lost the threaded detachable basket on one the first time out. The metal tip broke off the same one this weekend.

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
Our AST2 ended up going ahead and was probably the best three days of riding I’ve ever had. The snow was unreal, and there were lots of nasty layers for us to do tests and learn on. Meant we had to stay out of avy terrain but there were plenty of < 30deg slopes to play with.

We triggered this remotely on the first day which was really neat:

Some other photos from the week:

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Got myself nice and cliffed out today, wound up in a 18” wide choke but managed to escape unharmed. Shameful though. New board’s got some wounds.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Got myself nice and cliffed out today, wound up in a 18” wide choke but managed to escape unharmed. Shameful though. New board’s got some wounds.
Good to hear you're ok. Was this in bounds or back country?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Chair rollback accident in Korea. No serious injuries. The lift was a Poma built in 1990s. Not as bad as the Georgia rollback accident but still scary.

https://liftblog.com/2022/01/22/lift-rollback-causes-injuries-damage-in-south-korea/

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Dumb question from a former skier, current snowboarder: is there a difference between left and right skis? I know when I'd get bindings put on at the shop the shop would slap a sticker on one indicating that it was the right or left, but idk if it made a difference. Last time I was out at the slopes, a relatively new skier was having trouble getting their skis on in the lift line and I noticed that the left and right skis were swapped (based on the rental sticker) and told them and they switched them around. But I'm wondering if it matters at all.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

shops put the stickers there because they test binding release with the specific boots and wear patterns could differ between left/right boots leading to slightly different release values

it's really about shop indemnity more than anything

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

PCjr sidecar posted:

I bought some (on sale, extremely unnecessary) carbon fiber poles to embrace my disposable income dork. I lost the threaded detachable basket on one the first time out. The metal tip broke off the same one this weekend.

I got carbon fiber adjustable Backcountry poles. Lost both baskets in the snow in hours. I just jammed a couple red baskets from an old pair of Lekis onto the tips, and they have stayed on ever since :laugh: -- they don't articulate on the bearing, but, I'm also hardly a super aggressive skiier.

Some Ice Coast pics

I did Sugarbush yesterday with some friends, this is at the top of Lincoln Peak. We had fun, it was icy as hell, but it started dumping powder on the way home so I made a pact with myself to get up early enough to be in line at open at MRG and sneak some runs in before work. Ended up getting around 5".

I've never used a tracker app before yesterday, but this is funny and unsurprising to me: skiing casually and easily with friends at "gently caress around levels" with a beer or two involved, involves going substantially faster than working my fuckin' rear end off solo at MRG dead sober does.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

bawfuls posted:

shops put the stickers there because they test binding release with the specific boots and wear patterns could differ between left/right boots leading to slightly different release values

it's really about shop indemnity more than anything

The strange thing is I have never seen a shop ask for both boots until REI did for my GF's mount on her new skis this season.