Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yep, Kimchi loves to climb us and I still get scratched when she pushes off to jump from my shoulder or whatever. I second both suggestions, clipping the nails makes the kitten-needles hurt less but training them not to hurt you will have the best results obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Hi! :)

Big change coming for my cat in 5-6 months, we're moving from an apartment to a condo. My cat is an adult (7 years old) indoor cat with a free balcony access in summer (pet screen door and chicken coop wire all around the 3rd floor balcony). She doesn't go out in winter (a lot of snow here). But she sure loves to go outside all spring/summer/autumn. Being an indoor cat, she doesn't have any collar.

So we're moving to a condo with a ground-level balcony, as seen here:

I don't know what to do when we'll move there. I'm pretty sure chicken coop wire won't be enough, I'm pretty sure she'll just jump over the fence. I'm still not sure a cat netting is permitted by the condo administrators. Let's suppose not. I thought of some scenarios:

- Because it will be a new environment, maybe she won't "know" that she can go outside and maybe she won't ask to go out? (yeah.... really not sure about this one, she'll see us outside sometimes)
- Chicken coop wired the balcony and let's hope she won't jump over (yeaaaaaaah right... flowers right there, many trees around with squirrels activity, maybe some outside cats around.... and dangerous because we're on the corner of a busy road)
- Cat on a leash, tied to something (patio door handle for example). Will require to tie/untie her when she'll want to go in/out. But could use the pet screen door so she can wait inside to unleash her if I'm busy.
......Using a permanent collar would be simpler because I'll just need to tie the leash to it. But she never had a collar.
......A harness will maybe be safer (?) but will need to put it on/off many times a day and maybe can induce stress? And never had a harness too.
- Using an outside cat condo won't be a good solution because it's a small balcony. We'll need some space for 2 foldable chairs (if we want to go outside too so if the cat is alone outside, the chairs could be folded and she won't be entangled in the legs).

So I'm not sure what's the best solution... Maybe I did not think of something else... ? Can you help/suggest something?

(sorry for my english)

Well I can't finish this post without a picture of Khaleesi, the Queen:

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

If you never let her on the balcony, she might not realise she can go out and might not ask. Other than that, netting or some other full-height barrier is the only way to make sure she won't jump out. A leash is probably not good, cats generally hate them and she'll get tangled in it if you let her out unsupervised.

If the landlord doesn't allow netting or some other barrier, you might have to put up with forcing the cat to stay inside despite her protest. Maybe she can go on the balcony when you're also there.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
My wife and I have the unfortunate issue of having way too much love in our hearts and loving cats way too much. My 2 oldest kids' biodad is currently playing catsitter for the 5 cats of his dad's...girlfriend? Unofficial partner? Anyway, my daughter has absolutely fallen in love with one of them, a tortie named Lyly (reminds me of Khaleesi a bit, actually) who follows you around and begs for attention. We may have 7 soon if we can talk $insignificant_other into letting us have her without Smokey too since $biodad is loving sick of caring for cats that aren't his. :kimchi:

Re: cat food - we just use the Purina Cat Chow, the little round disc-looking things. Anything else sends 2 of our cats into violent barfing fits whenever they eat :shrug:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We've had cats that spent time on a balcony in the past and when we moved, they didn't have any issue adjusting to not being allowed on the patio.

It could have been our approach though, when we were on the third floor we never let them out there for long periods unattended. It was always a "let's hang out with the cats on the balcony" for 30 minutes or so. So when we didn't take them on the new ground level patio, they never asked.

So I guess you won't know until after you move.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
Quick question! My wife adopted a senior catto about idk 7 months ago? Cute guy. Fluffy fluff ball. They shelter listed him as a Persian. I have no idea what he is.

Anyhelp? He has a short snoot but not flat flat face. All black and now hes a literal walking cloud of fur.

Also, yo, how do i maintain this guys god drat floof?! I brush him plenty but hes like...80% floof 20% cat at this point.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Quick question! My wife adopted a senior catto about idk 7 months ago? Cute guy. Fluffy fluff ball. They shelter listed him as a Persian. I have no idea what he is.

Anyhelp? He has a short snoot but not flat flat face. All black and now hes a literal walking cloud of fur.

Seems like you already answered your own question

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
How me maintain floof tho

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

Also, yo, how do i maintain this guys god drat floof?! I brush him plenty but hes like...80% floof 20% cat at this point.

i have seen a lot of cats

and that is a cat

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ShortyMR.CAT posted:

How me maintain floof tho

Is cat.

More seriously, cats don't have particularly well defined breeds like dogs. He absolutely looks like a Persian, just not on the extreme end of the inbred flat faced look. Might be a Persian that can actually breathe, might be a mix. In any event, it's a cat.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Sometimes he snores while awake and licks his lips very very aggressively.

:catstare:

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

ShiroTheSniper posted:

Big change coming for my cat in 5-6 months, we're moving from an apartment to a condo. My cat is an adult (7 years old) indoor cat with a free balcony access in summer (pet screen door and chicken coop wire all around the 3rd floor balcony). She doesn't go out in winter (a lot of snow here). But she sure loves to go outside all spring/summer/autumn. Being an indoor cat, she doesn't have any collar.

It just isn't going to work. Whatever hacked together solution you come up with either will be a giant pain in the rear end for you, not much fun for the cat, or not cool with the condo. You need to accept you're going to have an indoor cat. Start restricting balcony access now to gauge if she's ok with it. She might be! One of my current cats was a free roaming indoor/outdoor cat for a time, and he's 100% indoor now, and he never makes a move for the door ever.

Try giving her outdoor alternatives - windows with easy access to sills and cabinets/tables to sit on and watch outside, a cat tree right next to the screen door, make sure the spots where the sunbeams come in are nice and inviting to lay down on, etc.

If you want to try her on a leash and harness, start now to see if she'll tolerate it - but know it's going to have to be a scheduled walk thing, not an every time she wants to go out thing. Don't use a leash without a harness. It's dangerous to use just a collar, and you should be using a safety breakaway collar anyway. Very few cats are walkers so don't bet on this working.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just dropping in for a PSA:

My cat Suzie is 15 and diagnosed hyperthyroid, which has caused hypertension leading to retina damage - we noticed when she started bumping into things.

There are a number of treatments, however if we give her the anti-thyroid pills, she starts vomiting several times a day, which is a quality of life problem for her I want to avoid - we tried a couple of pills, she just starts barfing.

Radioactive iodine is not common in Denmark and for a 15+ year old blind cat with early kidney damage from hypertension, not really a good option.

Hills y/d food is intended to be low-iodine to reduce your cat's thyroid levels without medication, so we put her on the dry and wet versions of that. She's okay with the food switch.

PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE CHECK THE IODINE CONTENT OF YOUR TAP WATER

We had her on the y/d for 2 months and went for a followup and her thyroid levels were still sky high. I started checking online for any clues and found a Danish article on treating hyper-thyroidal cats and it mentioned "in some parts of Denmark the water has a lot of iodine". Another Google later and an article on groundwater in Denmark informed me we have about half the iodine of SEAWATER in our groundwater here in Amager.

So for the last month and a half she's been on 5 litre jugs of "distilled water" I can buy from the local pharmacy (and car supply stores). Going in next week for another blood test. Fingers crossed.

I sent the vet the link and she was "oh. I never thought of that" and I'm like "well, neither did I". Not mad at the vet at all.

ShiroTheSniper
Mar 19, 2009

I see dead arrows.
Lipstick Apathy
Thanks to all of you for your input on my balcony cat Khaleesi. I guess I'll try to keep her inside at the condo and hope she won't ask for the door all day long! The windowed Rotonda seen on the picture will host her big cat tree so I guess it will give her a good alternative to look outside :)

The blue bunny
May 29, 2013

ShiroTheSniper posted:

- Chicken coop wired the balcony and let's hope she won't jump over

Use catnet
https://catnetting.com/

I spent $35 to net a 5m balcony. The unit in front of me currently has used it or something similar to net their whole balcony.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Anyone have good carrier recommendations for taking cats on an airplane?

Right now I'm taking care of my parent's cats, but sometime later this year my parents are taking them down to their new house in Mexico. They aren't carrier trained so I'd like to start on getting them comfortable asap

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Farecoal posted:

Anyone have good carrier recommendations for taking cats on an airplane?

Right now I'm taking care of my parent's cats, but sometime later this year my parents are taking them down to their new house in Mexico. They aren't carrier trained so I'd like to start on getting them comfortable asap

Basically anything that shows up on this page will work. I have the Sherpa which is nice because it reduces my cat's visibility outside the carrier (Mel gets extremely stressed with lots of people around) and has a couple nice pockets for treats/bags/toys/etc. However it's also like 3-4 times as expensive as some other carriers on the page so grab what looks good to you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I would look at sleepypod stuff, because they have some models also rated for use in cars and they claim to do credible crash tests with them. And if you're going to an airport you're gonna need a car trip, so might as well get one that works with both.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Sydin posted:

Basically anything that shows up on this page will work. I have the Sherpa which is nice because it reduces my cat's visibility outside the carrier (Mel gets extremely stressed with lots of people around) and has a couple nice pockets for treats/bags/toys/etc. However it's also like 3-4 times as expensive as some other carriers on the page so grab what looks good to you.

xzzy posted:

I would look at sleepypod stuff, because they have some models also rated for use in cars and they claim to do credible crash tests with them. And if you're going to an airport you're gonna need a car trip, so might as well get one that works with both.

Thanks and thanks. Good point about the car trip, they're going to take an intercity bus after landing in Mexico City.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rust Martialis posted:

Just dropping in for a PSA:

My cat Suzie is 15 and diagnosed hyperthyroid, which has caused hypertension leading to retina damage - we noticed when she started bumping into things.

There are a number of treatments, however if we give her the anti-thyroid pills, she starts vomiting several times a day, which is a quality of life problem for her I want to avoid - we tried a couple of pills, she just starts barfing.

Radioactive iodine is not common in Denmark and for a 15+ year old blind cat with early kidney damage from hypertension, not really a good option.

Hills y/d food is intended to be low-iodine to reduce your cat's thyroid levels without medication, so we put her on the dry and wet versions of that. She's okay with the food switch.

PLEASE FOR GODS SAKE CHECK THE IODINE CONTENT OF YOUR TAP WATER

We had her on the y/d for 2 months and went for a followup and her thyroid levels were still sky high. I started checking online for any clues and found a Danish article on treating hyper-thyroidal cats and it mentioned "in some parts of Denmark the water has a lot of iodine". Another Google later and an article on groundwater in Denmark informed me we have about half the iodine of SEAWATER in our groundwater here in Amager.

So for the last month and a half she's been on 5 litre jugs of "distilled water" I can buy from the local pharmacy (and car supply stores). Going in next week for another blood test. Fingers crossed.

I sent the vet the link and she was "oh. I never thought of that" and I'm like "well, neither did I". Not mad at the vet at all.

Aquarium guy and general nerd here,

Activated charcoal is an absolute magnet for iodine. If it's expensive to get distilled water there you could find a water fountain that uses a filter with charcoal in it. The petkit eversweet gen 2 has it for example.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Does this thread have an opinion on a good brand of cat tower? We specifically need a tower-style tree because we don't have a lot of floorspace to give up. I need one that's fake fur and sisal, NOT carpet, because one of my cats is too fond of clawing carpet already. (Just spent two hours hand-whipping the edge of an Oriental rug the cat decided to destroy.)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Does this thread have an opinion on a good brand of cat tower? We specifically need a tower-style tree because we don't have a lot of floorspace to give up. I need one that's fake fur and sisal, NOT carpet, because one of my cats is too fond of clawing carpet already. (Just spent two hours hand-whipping the edge of an Oriental rug the cat decided to destroy.)

I don't really know the difference between carpet and short fur but I've really liked this one, it's perfect at least for Quill:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08PBM8VV8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Definitely check out Amarkat. They use a bunch of different materials, so hopefully you find a fleecy or furry one that works for you.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Nature's miracle has gotten extremely perfumed lately to the point that anything clean with it will stink for weeks and the cats wont go near it. Are there any recommendations for similarly good enzymatic cleaners that aren't 90% potpourri?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I strongly strongly recommend a toploading carrier - it's just so much less awful to get them in and out of one and they're a lot less stressed by it.

Armarkat is the goon gold standard for cat trees, if you can catch a sale they're pretty reasonable and they last quite a while.

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
Whatever carrier you get, put it out for a day or two before you need to use it with whatever lining blanket/towel you intend to use, and put treats in it. It will make it much less painful when you have to shove them in for real.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Boogalo posted:

Nature's miracle has gotten extremely perfumed lately to the point that anything clean with it will stink for weeks and the cats wont go near it. Are there any recommendations for similarly good enzymatic cleaners that aren't 90% potpourri?

Word of mouth in the thread is that Nature's Miracle got sold and reformulated and is now worthless. I've had good results with Anti-Icky-Poo. (yeah, yeah, I know.)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Unscented Anti icky poo in a gallon jug :homebrew:

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Our 6 month old cat has an appointment to be neutered tomorrow. We’re aren’t eligible for any of the income neutering options I’ve come across online and don’t want to pay out the nose. How expensive is too expensive? I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t shop around and think I remember the vet quoting us ~$800 last time we were in there. Is that too much?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Male or female?

gnrk
Apr 1, 2008
Male

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Where I live it's about 100€ for a male cat and 250€ for a female. I'm obviously not in the US, but 800$ sounds like a lot for a male cat. I've read that it's often possible to get lower rates if you go to a vet in a low income area.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

gnrk posted:

Our 6 month old cat has an appointment to be neutered tomorrow. We’re aren’t eligible for any of the income neutering options I’ve come across online and don’t want to pay out the nose. How expensive is too expensive? I’m embarrassed to say I didn’t shop around and think I remember the vet quoting us ~$800 last time we were in there. Is that too much?

Neutering a male cat shouldn't cost more than $200-250, and in my experience is usually closer to $150. Especially with it being so young.

$800 is utterly outrageous, and there's no way I'd pay that.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

For $800 you better get to keep the balls

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
Maybe if they gild the fuckers first

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Maybe it's a lion

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Neuticles included?

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Ughh.. our youngest cat Sage apparently has worms.. AGAIN

He doesn't go outside, and the new cat Pavarotti tested negative in his stool sample, so I have no idea where he'd have gotten it. Or maybe Pav does have them and it just didn't show up (that actually happened with Sage the first time, and he ended up so wormy he actually threw one up the poor guy). Edit: they haven't shared litterboxes or anything until yesterday, at least to my knowledge, when we got the all clear for Pavarotti

Starting treatment on both today, but man I really need to figure out how to stop the reinfections. Gonna pop open all the litter boxes and give them a big ole scrubbing I guess, hopefully that helps.

The introductions between them are going pretty well at least! Sage still hisses a little at his new big brother when Pavarotti decides he wants to chase Sage around which is pretty understandable. Sage has never had a cat that would play back, since Socks was always too old to really be interested in rough housing, so it's a bit of a new experience for him

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 24, 2022

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

Elvis_Maximus posted:

Ughh.. our youngest cat Sage apparently has worms.. AGAIN

He doesn't go outside, and the new cat Pavarotti tested negative in his stool sample, so I have no idea where he'd have gotten it. Or maybe Pav does have them and it just didn't show up (that actually happened with Sage the first time, and he ended up so wormy he actually threw one up the poor guy). Edit: they haven't shared litterboxes or anything until yesterday, at least to my knowledge, when we got the all clear for Pavarotti

Starting treatment on both today, but man I really need to figure out how to stop the reinfections. Gonna pop open all the litter boxes and give them a big ole scrubbing I guess, hopefully that helps.

The introductions between them are going pretty well at least! Sage still hisses a little at his new big brother when Pavarotti decides he wants to chase Sage around which is pretty understandable. Sage has never had a cat that would play back, since Socks was always too old to really be interested in rough housing, so it's a bit of a new experience for him
In a situation like this, is there any reason not to just treat both cats / all the cats in the house, just in case? Assuming the meds aren't exorbitant and the potential side effects aren't too serious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

gloom posted:

In a situation like this, is there any reason not to just treat both cats / all the cats in the house, just in case? Assuming the meds aren't exorbitant and the potential side effects aren't too serious.

They're both definitely going to be treated yeah, otherwise there almost certainly going to end up passing it back and forth again. Both will be undergoing the treatment at the same time

I just can't figure out how it keeps happening. I gotta imagine it came from the new cat