Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

As someone who loves Downton Abbey, the question is really if you like period melodrama. If that’s your jam, then Downton Abbey is that reduced down to the audio-visual equivalent of black tar heroin and you’ll be similarly hooked. However, if you can’t get emotionally invested in how Lady Smith-Smythe Smith is in love but mama and papa just won’t understand and ~*~*~the times~*~*~, yeah you’re gonna bounce off of it incredibly hard.

You might find out that you secretly like period melodrama because it’s actually a good on-ramp to that stuff, but it’s pretty much a personality test about what your tastes are. Which hey we all have different preferences, that’s cool. My preference is for some woman in a ridiculous hat to say something at a garden party and everyone is shocked.

O also there is one scene in like season 3 or maybe 4 that is a pretty hard dark turn tone-wise, even compared to the WWI stuff so be warned.

gently caress I love Downton Abbey. Just Maggie Smith Sassy Bitch Zone for 70 hours. Hell yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

All Creatures Great and Small is my period melodrama crackpipe. It's so pure and precious despite the protagonist sticking his arm up animal butts all day.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Mu Zeta posted:

All Creatures Great and Small is my period melodrama crackpipe. It's so pure and precious despite the protagonist sticking his arm up animal butts all day.

This + The Durrells in Corfu

Inject right into my veins

Is there a Masterpiece only streaming service cause I want it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What are some of the best private investigator/mystery shows from the past few years? I'm interested in anything from light and cozy episodic stuff made for grandma to dark cynical haunting serialized neo-nor. It's a category I haven't checked in with for a few years.

e: I have seen Only Murders in the Building, though. That was delightful. Is the Nancy Drew show worth watching? Perry Mason? Miss Scarlet & The Duke?

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 23, 2022

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Elementary is pretty good.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

feedmyleg posted:

What are some of the best private investigator/mystery shows from the past few years? I'm interested in anything from light and cozy episodic stuff made for grandma to dark cynical haunting serialized neo-nor. It's a category I haven't checked in with for a few years.

e: I have seen Only Murders in the Building, though. That was delightful. Is the Nancy Drew show worth watching? Perry Mason? Miss Scarlet & The Duke?

Perry Mason is legit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Shakespeare and Hathaway

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I enjoyed The Night Of. Typical great performances by John Turturro and Riz Ahmed.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

feedmyleg posted:

FROTH
The Flight Attendant, My Life Is Murder, Guilty Party, the first season of Search Party, American Vandal, Trial and Error, Angie Tribecca, Comrade Detective, Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.

DARK
Perry Mason, The Sinner, Briarpatch, Dark, Bosch, Fortitude, Happy Valley, Mare Of Easttown, No Offence, In The Dark, American Crime (note: not American Crime Story)

Also, no joke, seasons 3 and 4 of The Killing (US) are loving god tier as far as this stuff kind of goes. It's older than your stipulation, but a lot of people don't know about it because of how much the first two seasons sucked. You can skip those two if you want, and given that the show is anthological you can basically get away with that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You guys forget about Terriers?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It's a great show but it's from 12 years ago and doesn't count as "past few years."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jake and the Fat Man.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
drat, Deborah Ann Woll is good in Daredevil. Show has lots of problems but her and Vincent D'Offrio make it worth watching imo. I wonder why she hasn't been in much apart from that and True Blood.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

El Grillo posted:

drat, Deborah Ann Woll is good in Daredevil. Show has lots of problems but her and Vincent D'Offrio make it worth watching imo. I wonder why she hasn't been in much apart from that and True Blood.

She's still in stuff if you check her wikipedia/imdb and she's super into various actual play D&D things, like all over the place with those.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Why the gently caress would Ozark not pay off the opening scene of the season in any of the subsequent episodes? Surely they knew they were splitting the season prior to making it?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It still wants to be Breaking Bad and starting its two-part final season with a flash-forward that won’t get resolved until the second half is exactly what BB did lol

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Euphoria just peaked. :siren:

Repeat: we have reached peak Euphoria.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just finished that episode too. loving WILD.

The scene with Rue and Ali was so brutal. Her weaponising everything he told her in the first special was just terrible. Addiction is awful.

I do gotta admit I’m starting to wonder if Levinson has something against Sydney Sweeney given that he keeps putting her in these humiliating and degrading storylines

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Escobarbarian posted:

I do gotta admit I’m starting to wonder if Levinson has something against Sydney Sweeney given that he keeps putting her in these humiliating and degrading storylines

Oh man that Oklahoma scene was like being banished to the Big Love hell dimension.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I feel like John Goodman isn't really trying his hardest in The Righteous Gemstones. Like it's not career best comic material.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Open Source Idiom posted:

I feel like John Goodman isn't really trying his hardest in The Righteous Gemstones. Like it's not career best comic material.

I feel like Gemstones shows that he still has it while he sleepwalks through the depressing Conners.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea why I’m still watching The Conners. Oh yeah, it’s for everyone except Darlene. But Darlene’s storylines are so bad

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I finally gave up on the Conners a few months ago. Darlene is just a black hole of misery and the show is now about other people trying to live their lives while she just keeps loving with them because she's not happy. I mean, Roseanne did have plenty of episodes that remembered that the show is a comedy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

He's playing the straight man in Gemstones

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I'm sorry, I can't get over just how miserable the Conners is. The other characters have legitimate issues like alcoholism, mental illness, COVID, etc and Darlene exists to yell "I'M NOT HAPPY" and then personally attack everyone until someone finally hits her again.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
And the worst thing is it will never ever change because Sara Gilbert is a big-time producer on it

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/BeijingPalmer/status/1485634047435018240

lol

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

ONCE AND FOR ALL

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Started watching Blackish mostly b/c Anthony Anderson kept mentioning it on To Tell The Truth and like it's not a bad show but anytime Anthony narrates anything he has the exact same host-cadence as on To Tell The Truth. He'll be laying out something, premise of the scene or whatever topic they're on... but it sounds exactly like you're waiting for him to read some terrible pun, pause, point it out, then continue. He's great host and vocal narrator for a gameshow, but having heard it first for so many seasons, his voice in Blackish sticks out because I keep waiting for corny puns and wordplay that never comes. The bossy friend from Girlfriends is the mom in Blackish and she does great there, I remember sort of not liking her character on Girlfriends as a teen but she's won me back over.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Tracee Ellis Ross is absolutely the main reason I’m still watching that show. She’s so good

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Jenifer Lewis and Lawrence Fishburne too. I haven't watched it in a couple of seasons, but the terrible actress daughter is off on her own spinoff now right? The other kids are great.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBi7gN2THE

So, a fully improvised murder mystery where Will Arnett plays a character and all the celebrity trainees play themselves.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

bull3964 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IBi7gN2THE

So, a fully improvised murder mystery where Will Arnett plays a character and all the celebrity trainees play themselves.
Okay, that looks hilarious. I've really warmed up to Will Arnett's improv skills after watching him host LEGO Masters. He seems genuinely friendly and super sharp when it comes to cracking jokes on the spot.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Apparently it's a remake of Murder in Successville, which I've never gotten around to watching but only heard good things about. https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2016/jun/04/bbc3-murder-in-successville-paul-whitehouse-emma-bunton

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Oh snap! New season of American Dad! starts tonight

What a pleasant surprise, I had no idea

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have been watching Toast of London and Toast of Tinseltown, not only is Matt Berry comedy gold, he is also quite a good singer.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

zoux posted:

Jenifer Lewis and Lawrence Fishburne too. I haven't watched it in a couple of seasons, but the terrible actress daughter is off on her own spinoff now right? The other kids are great.

Yeah Lawrence Fishbourne is good, everyone is good really. Not used to this many kids being in a show and none of them are terrible either in character writing or acting. The twins doing their Pinky & the Brain stuff is good hijynx. The mother character is good but also I kind of wish she was just played by Anthony's real mom just having seen her on TTTT.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/proudbugman/status/1485686558451810304?s=21

I think Patrick Wilson looks fine

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

To be fair, that is kind of the ending to the book.

Oasx posted:

I have been watching Toast of London and Toast of Tinseltown, not only is Matt Berry comedy gold, he is also quite a good singer.

Fun fact, when he was just starting out he had trouble getting gigs so he switched to doing comedy songs because there was a comedy club with an open mike night. Which was where Matthew Holness and Richard Ayoade found him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

It’s an Animorphs cover where he turns into Bob Odenkirk.