Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

BLM is probably far ways for me cause it's low 50s and I have priority on MCH to finish all role quests, WAR so I can join more PFs and then prob start levelling everything equally to get rid of low level gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I’m actually really interested in trying BLM now! I may leveling that once I’m done with WAR

BLM was both one of my favorite classes to level and the only one that ever made me toss my headset in rage during a leveling dungeon.

That's an endorsement, I think.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

After spending the raid tier on Red Mage, I gotta come down and definitively say It's Better Than Ever.

The Acceleration changes and minimum meter required for combo took some time to get used to, but the job's better for it. Acceleration basically being another Swiftcast and going on charge means you can always pocket an instant cast for when you need it, if you're not already using it to realign your GCDs. The 50/50 meter change I think is more significant though, because suddenly you're allowed to just... not melee immediately. Being able to hold your melee for more than a couple GCDs so that you can start your combo in melee range then cast your finishers are you're handling mechanics is such a powerful feeling - my favorite example so far has been during Act 2 in P4S (spoilers for that fight), but there's tons of little optimizations for usage that I've picked up during prog and reclears.

Really the change that I like the least (although I wouldn't say hate) is Resolution - it's not bad and is very cool to look at, but in clear prog there's been a few situations where someone's died in the middle of my combo and, rdm "I'll raise after my combo" memes aside, it does feel terrible to have to decide between finishing your combo or canceling it to raise a squad mate. Obviously less of an issue as your group stops dying so much (because I'm perfect), but until then it deffo hurts one way or another.

Tons of fun, though. I'd entertained the thought of doing reclears on Black Mage once we had a bit more of an HP cushion to not rely on barrier, but I think I'd rather keep trying to suss out more ways to optimize RDM movement in fights I'm still kinda shaky on (P2S in particular).

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

I've been doing BLM in ex trials lately and the hardest part of it is figuring out who i can trust to teleport to

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I've had more than a few people teleport to me before learning I only dodge things by a step or two, leaving them firmly in the doom zone.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Glad I wasn't the only person to think "Shoha II" seemed out of place.

I look forward to them sticking II onto more spells. "Double Down II"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

The answer is always finish your combo.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

hazardousmouse posted:

The answer is always finish your combo.

if we're progging and we need 8 people to finish a mechanic and the healers have something they need to focus on I'm gonna raise them

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
I came in wanting to play nothing but SMN, and I do really like SMN,

But like 70% of my EXDRs and poo poo have been RDM and I was not expecting that

RDM is real good this expansion

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
They didn't do much to RDM and DNC, but they definitely made them both more fun

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

funkmeister posted:

Yeah, DNC feels really different, you have more buttons to fit into the technical finish window, feels like a proper burst phase now. Makes the class just a little less braindead, but it's still really fun and chill.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

funkmeister posted:

I agree with this.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I'm enjoying leveling BLM, it's still not going to surpass RDM as my favorite caster. RDM is tied for my favorite job and it is definitely better than ever this expansion. It rules so much.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Begemot posted:

Yeah, DNC feels really different, you have more buttons to fit into the technical finish window, feels like a proper burst phase now. Makes the class just a little less braindead, but it's still really fun and chill.

Yeah they made the out of burst flourish more boring but traded it off by making the burst more exciting which I think works out.

New Red Mage does also rule yeah, I like new Acceleration as soon as it gets two charges. So far the only job I've levelled I'm a bit underwhelmed on is Machinist, not because it's bad but just it changed so little it doesn't feel any better or worse just... the same. I like Bard better now which would have felt like crazy talk last expansion.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I love BLM and when you are in the zone it feels like you are just wrecking everything. The only thing is when things go bad they feel like they go really bad. It feels very different from something like MCH where even if I'm out of sync I feel like as long as I'm pressing buttons I'm most of the way there. Also you will start to really hate some bosses more than others playing BLM.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Arist posted:

A little outdated as it's from ShB, but relevant:

I didn't save this the first time around and couldn't find it later.

Not making that mistake again.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I love that they take damage anyways.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy
bit of a newbie post but i just finished heavensward's final final trial and saved estinien. that poo poo was hype as hell and by far the coolest part of the story yet. about to head into stormblood and while i've heard it's not as good, i'm still looking forward to it

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

I love that they take damage anyways.

Oh god, I've finally figured it out, those floating lights are supposed to represent AF3 aren't they.
RIP BLM

Edit: as the vuln gets applied Surecast and Triple should start appearing but no spell cast lol

derra fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Jan 24, 2022

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

psychoJ posted:

bit of a newbie post but i just finished heavensward's final final trial and saved estinien. that poo poo was hype as hell and by far the coolest part of the story yet. about to head into stormblood and while i've heard it's not as good, i'm still looking forward to it

Try not to go into it with too many negative expectations. Even in this thread, there's been a lot of debate over the years about whether people prefer Stormblood or Heavensward as their favorite between the two.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Stormblood is good, if uneven, and mostly suffers from being between two exceptional expansions.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

I liked Stormblood more, although this is coming from me playing HW->4.0 of Stormblood like 5 years ago and picking up from there.

Point being I think there’s plenty of enjoyable stuff even as someone coming at it mostly with no expectations either way so I wouldn’t get too in your own head about some noticeable dip in quality being inevitable

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

psychoJ posted:

Yeah Stormblood isn't bad at all. It's different and has it's own problems but I enjoyed it a lot. People make it sound like early ARR level content and it's not at all.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I like Stormblood because it is me and my friend, Raubahn, having an excellent adventure.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Regy Rusty posted:

Yeah they made the out of burst flourish more boring but traded it off by making the burst more exciting which I think works out.
I like that I don't need to use Dancer's AoE buttons after Flourish but I don't like that Starfall Dance is a separate button from Flourish. They literally do it with Technical Step -> Tillana! I also don't like that Tillana is 1.5s GCD because that throws me off later when Standard Step is just a little off of where I expect it to be, timing-wise.

But yeah overall, Dancer is better to play now. Should be getting some sort of potency buff with tonight's maintenance as well.

psychoJ posted:

about to head into stormblood and while i've heard it's not as good, i'm still looking forward to it
Though I don't love Stormblood's story in comparison to other expansions, it's still very good overall. It's like comparing a 8/10 rating of a story to a 9/10 or 10/10; still very good! Just not as good as the others.

Stormblood is also where I think the devs really hit their stride with non-story elements. It's where I really start loving the fights/dungeons and music.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Stormblood felt like a huge jump in game mechanics even for someone who didn’t play until Shadowbringers. Even the solo duties, even THAT solo duty, felt a lot more fun than any of the ARR or HW ones.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

Leal posted:

I like Stormblood because it is me and my friend, Raubahn, having an excellent adventure.

alright didn't know Raubahn had a heavy presence in it so i'm even more excited now lol

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

2 of Stormblood's 6 maps kinda blow. Just samey desert areas.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There's a SB map that I hate, and it's not a desert.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

There is cool stuff in those areas but the MSQ does a great job of guiding you as far away from them as possible.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

iPodschun posted:

I like that I don't need to use Dancer's AoE buttons after Flourish but I don't like that Starfall Dance is a separate button from Flourish. They literally do it with Technical Step -> Tillana! I also don't like that Tillana is 1.5s GCD because that throws me off later when Standard Step is just a little off of where I expect it to be, timing-wise.

I think you mean Devilment, not Flourish. I dunno offhand if there are any occasions of this working differently but I wanna suspect that the issue is that Starfall Dance is a Weaponskill on the GCD whereas Devilment is an oGCD ability and they don't usually like having two different kinds of skills on the same button. Both Technical Step and Tillana are Weaponskills so there's no issue.

Now Fan Dance 4 could theoretically be on the same button as Flourish I guess.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Finally getting around to doing the non-tank role quests. The tank role quest was pretty underwhelming all told, but the caster DPS one was pretty good, and the healer one was really good. I've been wanting to see more of Fordola's development, so I'm glad the healer role quest focused so much on her and her path to rehabilitation.

Still got the two physical DPS ones to go. I've heard good things about the ranged DPS role quest.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
Thank you very much to my retainer for the 2 black dyes. The march towards a gil sink continues apace.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I love getting the Stormblood dungeons in roulettes because it still has my favourite boss theme

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Harrow posted:

I can only aspire to such arcane heights... :eyepop:

It was the most hubristic thing I've ever seen in my life and I loved every frame of it. The only way it could've been more Quintessentially Black Mage is if they'd been cosplaying as Shatotto.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Regy Rusty posted:

I think you mean Devilment, not Flourish. I dunno offhand if there are any occasions of this working differently but I wanna suspect that the issue is that Starfall Dance is a Weaponskill on the GCD whereas Devilment is an oGCD ability and they don't usually like having two different kinds of skills on the same button. Both Technical Step and Tillana are Weaponskills so there's no issue.

Now Fan Dance 4 could theoretically be on the same button as Flourish I guess.
Yep I was getting those mixed up. Whoops. Luckily Dancer doesn't have too many other buttons that it's still pretty comfortable for my keybinds but I'm starting to get tempted to install XIVCombo for playing other jobs.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Ugh, managed to get to enrage multiple times on P2S, but of course the curse kicks in and suddenly the group keeps wiping at Limit Cut and we disband. Not getting a clear this week it seems.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

so this goes back up for sale tomorrow, right? does anyone know specifically what time it's supposed to become available on the ps store? i want to grab it asap in case it goes down again lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I came back to this to check out all the new job changes and it's cool but also do you SMN players feel like Aether flow could be removed and replaced because I find the extra gauge is cluttering and it's really kind of tangential to the whole trance and gem thing they got going now that's my run-on sentence thanks