Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

SpacePig posted:

Vig: With that logic in mind, Koichi's quirk would be completely useless to a guy whose quirk was touch based until incredibly recently. Or it's why Shigaraki can now does his poo poo at a distance.

Vig: The poor fit thing is how long mastery takes. AfO was basically saying complicated quirks that take lots of time to learn and master aren’t useful for Shigaraki because he’s not the sort to do things like spend years mastering quirks. He doesn’t have the attention span or mentality. So something as technical as Koichi’s quirk would probably not be one AfO would take to pass onto Shigaraki. For the same reason Best Jeanist quirk was a poor fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Vig: The poor fit thing is how long mastery takes. AfO was basically saying complicated quirks that take lots of time to learn and master aren’t useful for Shigaraki because he’s not the sort to do things like spend years mastering quirks. He doesn’t have the attention span or mentality. So something as technical as Koichi’s quirk would probably not be one AfO would take to pass onto Shigaraki. For the same reason Best Jeanist quirk was a poor fit.

Oh, right, I get it now. Makes sense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The Dream ends is because it's now reality.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I feel like if he lost his power that would not actually stop him from being a hero considering his mentor is Knuckleduster.

Like it could actually be a reasonable full circle for him to do a great heroism, lose his power, and then spend the rest of his life doing good in spite of that because what made him a hero isn't his quirk but who he is, which brings basically all the themes of the series together.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Vigilantes I don't think AfO is going to steal the quirk, mostly because he seems to have highlighted that it's only so strong because Koichi's passion is drawing out its full power. AfO is incapable of feeling that kind of passion so I doubt he'd feel it was worth it. Also this is AfO after All Might crippled him so I don't think he even could steal Koichi's quirk and he's not risking exposure when All Might is on his way.

That said we've seen exactly one panel of AfO fighting in his prime and he seems to be using several complicated quirks at once, so I think he only favored brute force quirks after being crippled and when he was prepping for Shigaraki. I mean look, WTF is up with the crazy body-horror quirk:

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Jan 23, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Nephthys posted:

Vigilantes I don't think AfO is going to steal the quirk, mostly because he seems to have highlighted that it's only so strong because Koichi's passion is drawing out its full power. AfO is incapable of feeling that kind of passion so I doubt he'd feel it was worth it. Also this is AfO after All Might crippled him so I don't think he even could steal Koichi's quirk and he's not risking exposure when All Might is on his way.

That said we've seen exactly one panel of AfO fighting in his prime and he seems to be using several complicated quirks at once, so I think he only favored brute force quirks after being crippled and when he was prepping for Shigaraki. I mean look, WTF is up with the crazy body-horror quirk:

Is he standing on a foot? And an exposed ribcage next to him? I guess he stole an Akira quirk from someone.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is he standing on a foot? And an exposed ribcage next to him? I guess he stole an Akira quirk from someone.

Appropriately enough, isn't that the exact same quirk we see Shigaraki struggling with this week in the main series?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

SpacePig posted:

New Vigilantes is up. :ohdear:
I think I've said this before, but while I understand why it might end without any of this being a fakeout, I'll still be very upset if that ends up being the case.

e: link
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-118/chapter/23791?action=read

Not sure if this should be spoiler'd since it's already been a few days since it was posted, but gonna do it to be safe. That said, I got a laugh out of AfO saying that Koichi's Quirk is simple or the height of mediocrity, what with all the power ups Koichi keeps pulling out in this arc.

And as nice as it is to see Pop again, it's also really frustrating to me because this is just Koichi's hallucination of her. The real Pop is still in a loving coma in the hospital, completely missing out on the arc that's ostensibly about her.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

amigolupus posted:

Not sure if this should be spoiler'd since it's already been a few days since it was posted, but gonna do it to be safe. That said, I got a laugh out of AfO saying that Koichi's Quirk is simple or the height of mediocrity, what with all the power ups Koichi keeps pulling out in this arc.

And as nice as it is to see Pop again, it's also really frustrating to me because this is just Koichi's hallucination of her. The real Pop is still in a loving coma in the hospital, completely missing out on the arc that's ostensibly about her.

Yeah, it’d kind of suck if Pop stayed damseled this entire arc (which is looking likely unfortunately) but her appearing via hallucination is something at least

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/my-hero-academia-chapter-341/chapter/23821?action=read

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1012634

Good character moments and some plot hooks all in one chapter, a nice change from the Hero chapters being comparatively decompressed.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

MHA 341 Great chapter to touch base with all the villains, especially Himiko. I've seen a lot of people online misunderstand this chapter I think. Like, saying that it proves Dabi actually cares because he got Twices blood and burned Toga's house. But he's just doing it to pull her back the the villain side to make use of her quirk and highlight that theres no home for her to go back to. The dude was delighted when Twice died because he could use it, he doesn't care at all. Her saying he's kind also doesn't seem sincere to me, her expression is hidden and she's clutching the bottom of her shirt in anxiety. I think she just didn't want to show how much that upset her. In general I liked this chapter reinforcing that Toga is a sad, lonely girl constantly pretending she isn't.

Also I missed it but Dabi's lost a good chunk of the flesh on his face. He's mostly crispy now.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yep, you can also see a hand dangling next to it, a mouth with 8 rows of teeth and what looks like a tentacle made of ears?

runwiled posted:

Appropriately enough, isn't that the exact same quirk we see Shigaraki struggling with this week in the main series?

Oh drat, you're right. I didn't even notice that from the initial scans.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Nephthys posted:

MHA 341 I've seen a lot of people online misunderstand this chapter I think. Like, saying that it proves Dabi actually cares because he got Twices blood and burned Toga's house. But he's just doing it to pull her back the the villain side to make use of her quirk and highlight that theres no home for her to go back to.

Eh. If there's one thing I would expect Dabi to emotionally understand, it's getting back at your abusive parents who hate your quirk and erased you from their life.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Mystic Mongol posted:

Eh. If there's one thing I would expect Dabi to emotionally understand, it's getting back at your abusive parents who hate your quirk and erased you from their life.

[MHA] Toga has never really been portrayed as despising and wanting to destroy her parents like Dabi hates Endeavor and wants to destroy him. She's most been portrayed as confused and disappointed that they never understood her or even really tried to. The whole chapter before Dabi shows up has a tone of melancholy and regret.

I think he's projecting his personal "gently caress you, dad!" experiences onto her, which makes sense because that seems to be the only thing Dabi can emotionally feel and connect with at this point. He sees Twice's blood as a tool that they can use to twist the knife and gently caress over the heroes(and, most importantly to Dabi, Endeavor), but her expression when looking at the vial is more "man, so this is all that's left of my friend" rather than "yes, vengeance will be ours!".

Horikoshi is doing a much better job of setting up Toga to be "saved" than he is Shigaraki.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

It really says something that at this point I'm (mha)more invested in the League of Villains than the heroes. It helps that they're a more manageable and well-paced cast than 1-A's not-quite-ensemble-also-maybe-1-B-too-nope-actually-just-the-top-three. There's also more tension in whether they'll survive or how they'll evolve - I'm interested in seeing what a Twice clone made by Toga will think about his nightmare of only existing as a clone becoming reality in a way that I'm not about Aoyama's traitor sublot.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Dolash posted:

It really says something that at this point I'm (mha)more invested in the League of Villains than the heroes. It helps that they're a more manageable and well-paced cast than 1-A's not-quite-ensemble-also-maybe-1-B-too-nope-actually-just-the-top-three. There's also more tension in whether they'll survive or how they'll evolve - I'm interested in seeing what a Twice clone made by Toga will think about his nightmare of only existing as a clone becoming reality in a way that I'm not about Aoyama's traitor sublot.

I doubt she'll be able to create a Twice clone. It'll just be clones of herself morphed into Twice, all of which will be busy making clones of High Ends, Dabis and maybe Shigarakis if they're feeling daring.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nephthys posted:

MHA 341 Great chapter to touch base with all the villains, especially Himiko. I've seen a lot of people online misunderstand this chapter I think. Like, saying that it proves Dabi actually cares because he got Twices blood and burned Toga's house. But he's just doing it to pull her back the the villain side to make use of her quirk

Didn't he say he was upset that Twice died, too, because he wouldn't be able to use his power for his benefit? This just seems like him re-railing that plan.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

oh jay posted:

I doubt she'll be able to create a Twice clone. It'll just be clones of herself morphed into Twice, all of which will be busy making clones of High Ends, Dabis and maybe Shigarakis if they're feeling daring.

I'm sure Skeptic can find Twices measurements somehow. So she can just turn into Twice, make a Twice clone and he'll exist until he gets sludged even after she turns back. Then he just makes more clones and it spirals out of control.

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Didn't he say he was upset that Twice died, too, because he wouldn't be able to use his power for his benefit? This just seems like him re-railing that plan.

Yeah and he was practically gleeful when saying it too. At least Toga and Shigaraki give a poo poo about a few people.

Trend Upsilon
Jan 15, 2022

by Hand Knit

Kanos posted:

Horikoshi is doing a much better job of setting up Toga to be "saved" than he is Shigaraki.

Really? I must be reading differently from everyone else on Toga. To me, this chapter read like a hard repudiation of the "Poor Toga, Failed By Society" interpretation by saying "no, she really was hosed in the head since birth, look at her enjoying dreams of being maimed by birds, she was born a monster and never could have been anything but one no matter what anyone else did."

Seems to be setting up her tragic but necessary death, Old Yeller or Lenny-style rather than redemption.

Trend Upsilon fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Jan 24, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Trend Upsilon posted:

Really? I must be reading differently from everyone else on Toga. To me, this chapter read like a hard repudiation of the "Poor Toga, Failed By Society" interpretation by saying "no, she really was hosed in the head since birth, look at her enjoying dreams of being maimed by birds, she was born a monster and never could have been anything but one no matter what anyone else did."

Seems to be setting up her tragic but necessary death, Old Yeller-style rather than redemption.

kind of seems at odds with the mangas themes if it turns out that not everyone can be a hero and that your quirk unequivocally determines your morality.

Watch out, Shinso. That’s a nice quirk

For a villain to have

At the circus

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Having hosed up dreams doesn't mean that you're inherently a monster, especially when you're a child with needs that not only is no-one is helping you with but you are actively being monstered for by your own parents. It just shows what she was being turned into at such an early age, not that she was irredeemable from the start.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Trend Upsilon posted:

Seems to be setting up her tragic but necessary death, Old Yeller or Lenny-style rather than redemption.

People have hosed up fantasies in real life without turning into serial killers. Vore and Gorn are things that exist without quirks making you crave drinking blood.

I think the series has nicely set up that she's the villain most open to being saved. She just needs someone to accept her but the only people who will right now are people like Dabi.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Trend Upsilon posted:

[current MHA] All of the attempts we've seen in previous flashbacks of her parents attempting to address Toga's issues pretty much seemed like the equivalent of telling a depressed person to smile more and be happy - ignore everything that's wrong or different about you and just "act normal". There was never any attempt made to work with her and try to teach her to deal with her fantasies and desires in a healthier way. Maybe she could have gotten state-supplied blood samples to drink. Maybe she could have trained to be a really good makeup artist, or a stunt double, or an actress, or all sorts of other healthier outlets for the burning desire to be someone else short of "killing them and drinking their blood". Maybe she could have eventually entered into a consensual relationship with someone she really liked who didn't mind providing small samples of blood to her to allow her to safely "become" someone. She wasn't born a monster, she managed to live until her teenage years without killing anyone until she finally cracked under the pressure and went apeshit because she couldn't take it any more.

This entire chapter is her wandering wistfully through the remains of her childhood home and staring sadly at graffiti plastered everywhere that calls her out as an inhuman monster. She's not angry or vengeful, she's sad, wistful, and a little confused. That suggests that despite the fact that she is absolutely a murdering criminal, she still feels real regret and some level of remorse, if not for her actions, than at least for the way things went down. That show of regret and remorse is enormously more to latch onto for a "save Toga" kind of redemption than Shigaraki, who has consistently not shown a single spark of regret for anything other than "hasn't been able to kill everyone yet" and "might be being unwillingly mind-melded with AfO and hates that fact because AfO wants a society left over to rule".

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
It's literally just "she could have been saved if society was better but it's too late now"

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

I don’t see Dabi making it out alive but I don’t think any of the others are getting killed, but I feel we’ll lose a couple players outside of class 1-A.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Eej posted:

It's literally just "she could have been saved if society was better but it's too late now"

The running point of the series has been that the idea that it can be "too late" to save someone is what has led to there being so many villains in the first place.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
[Main MHA] I just know Dabi only blew up Toga's house on the off chance it'd hurt her feelings

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
You need to know someone's exact measurements to clone them with Twice's quirk and it's going to turn out that the only measurements that Toga has bothered to memorize are Deku and Uraraka's.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Having hosed up dreams doesn't mean that you're inherently a monster, especially when you're a child with needs that not only is no-one is helping you with but you are actively being monstered for by your own parents. It just shows what she was being turned into at such an early age, not that she was irredeemable from the start.

Yeah for all the flaws of the manga's pacing and character work it's not like it was written by J.K. Rowling or something.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I still don't know why Hogwarts had a Slytherin house if everyone in it was just evil.

skipmyseashells
Nov 14, 2020

I still don't know why Hogwarts had a Slytherin house if everyone in it was just evil.

because the best dick dumbledore ever got was from a villain. Next question

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

There were non-evil Slytherins they were just offscreen you've never heard of them

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Lol if you read Harry Potter and didn't realise that all of the wizards were evil.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's kinda weird that they made the dorms of their school a weird personality quiz.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Are you:

-Protagonist House
-Villain House
-Lore Dump House
-Other

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The last time I read the last Harry Potter book, which was over ten years ago at this point, I was awestruck that Rowling didn't even try to pretend the Slytherins weren't uniformly bad. Literally 100% of them are ushered out of the school before the climax because it's just universally accepted that every single one of them will either not help or actively work against the heroes. Yes, they're all blood racist proto-fascists, but they're also all loving children, Joanne. Any halfway competent writer would have the sense to not write off 1/4 of a school as irredeemably evil from a goddamn personality test they took at age eleven. And then Harry's son gets sorted into that house or whatever and he's all "it doesn't matter at all," what the gently caress?

It's hilarious.

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jan 25, 2022

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffleman_ posted:

It's kinda weird that they made the dorms of their school a weird personality quiz.

It's all completely optional though. Harry was supposed to be Slytherin and he told the hat nah.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Lol if you read Harry Potter and didn't realise that all of the wizards were evil.

That's fact of life though. Name one wizard who isn't an rear end in a top hat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Arist posted:

The last time I read the last Harry Potter book, which was over ten years ago at this point, I was awestruck that Rowling didn't even try to pretend the Slytherins weren't uniformly bad. Literally 100% of them are ushered out of the school before the climax because it's just universally accepted that every single one of them will either not help or actively work against the heroes. Yes, they're all blood racist proto-fascists, but they're also all loving children, Joanne. Any halfway competent writer would have the sense to not write off 1/4 of a school as irredeemably evil from a goddamn personality test they took at age eleven. And then Harry's son gets sorted into that house or whatever and he's all "it doesn't matter at all," what the gently caress?

It's hilarious.

I thought a bunch of the Slytherins stayed to help out, a good chunk of them left though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I wasn't even talking about that part, I mean how Voldemort was like pure evil as a baby and then just became an implausibly evil child-killer later on. Like he's off the scale of Jedi and Sith even.

Waffleman_ posted:

Even weirder when it turns out that it's actually thing in the UK. And when I was (In the U.S.) in middle school we had them too but they didn't really mean anything aside from being a boy and not wanting to be in Unicorn squad or whatever.

Arist posted:

It's hilarious.

The fifth book is where it really starts getting weird. The wizard government coming in and trying to cover up Voldemort being back and basically nixing all of the magical studying that the school had them doing and basically trampling each other to be the new Capos in charge of things. You'd think a group of people all about blood purity would be against learning like non wizards but no.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jan 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

The sorting hat exists to lets you know which kids are ok to bully.