Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

gohuskies posted:

I believe I am "that poster". Yes, I completely agree that an actually effective public health campaign to reduce obesity in America would be very difficult. I believe most people can lose fat with personal behavior changes, but I think the last couple years have made it crystal clear how many Americans don't care about making personal behavior changes to improve their health, as if past obesity/health/nutrition campaigns already didn't make that clear.

My point is perhaps glib, but many posters in these thread don't hesitate to say that the federal government should undertake all sorts of initiatives to stop COVID that are arguably just as infeasible, difficult, or downright impossible. How do we get anti-vaxxers vaccinated and anti-maskers masked? How do we rebuild every public building in the country to improve air circulation? How do we make remote education actually work well for students if schools have to close? How do we relieve our overburdened health care workforce and system? All of these questions are difficult just like "how do we reduce obesity", yet many folks think Biden should just step up and solve them - he should issue an order and if the Supreme Court says he can't, then we should ignore them or it's fine because a bunch of the positive impact will have already happened. But when it's obesity though, we get all sorts of explanations of why it can't be done, and I think that's odd.

To be clear, "The Supreme Court would stop the executive" is circumvented trivially and by one of the few available checks/balances against rogue judiciary.

Like, yeah this is a huge problem, but I kinda just want to add that these are all huge problems AND it's not even like we have a highly motivated executive who's trying to get creative to find novel ancient legal avenues to push solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Also, what would that even look like? Anybody over a certain weight has their food access policed? You have to show your BMI card before you're allowed to order from McDonald's?

Hypothetically if you were to do something like that it would need to look like addressing the structural issues actually causing the problem in the first place.

The 40 hour work week which was an industrial era reform that assumed one stay and home parent and is obsolete in an economy where two full time paychecks still aren't enough to raise a family
Food and housing support so every family can afford groceries and a place to prepare meals
Regulations on the food industry to limit how much sugar and stuff they can put in their hamburger buns or whatever

This last would be massively unpopular thanks to a huge industry-funded advertising campaign to convince us that Big Government is coming for our French Fries it's just like Soviet Russia! Remember the insane campaign against trans fats, literal poison that's a byproduct of cheap manufacturing processes, but the industry made people think trans fats are the most delicious forbidden fats and the government is taking our freedom! Luckily that fizzled out once manufacturers eliminated trans fats anyway to comply and consumers didn't even notice.

But it's all academic since nothing like that is possible with our politics as they are today. Our government is totally incapable of solving problems, they couldn't even renew the child tax credits they were touting last fall because they made it too obvious how many problems would be solved by just giving people money.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

BobTheJanitor posted:

So after getting the booster I was feeling crappy for a few days, as expected. But then it just kept going. Got tested and showing positive. Mostly just a lot of coughing and feeling more tired, thankfully nothing debilitating. Barely left the house in two years, but as infectious as this variant is who knows where it came from. Pretty frustrating, but what can you do? I'm wondering now if I should get another booster once this clears up. If I started showing symptoms that day, presumably that means I was already infected a few days prior, so I don't know if the booster can be effective in that situation.

There's no reason to, vaccines still work if you're mildly ill when you get them. You don't get the vaccine immediately after a positive test because you're supposed to be in isolation.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I would willingly live in a society that cut me off from unhealthy fast food and impulse buying junk, instead furnishing affordable good food. It's one of my most serious challenges. I have it under control after a lifetime of struggling, but I have the time and energy (see: money) to dedicate to that struggle. I know that quite literally hundreds of millions of Americans need varying degrees of help in this department.

This sentence is a good faith acknowledgement that this topic is deviating from thread subject.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jan 24, 2022

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

But it's all academic since nothing like that is possible with our politics as they are today. Our government is totally incapable of solving problems, they couldn't even renew the child tax credits they were touting last fall because they made it too obvious how many problems would be solved by just giving people money.

A lot of issues could be resolved with a willing executive branch that ignores illegitimate systems of government like the senate and the supreme court. Unfortunately that seems to only happen with right wing ideology.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

A lot of issues could be resolved with a willing executive branch that ignores illegitimate systems of government like the senate and the supreme court. Unfortunately that seems to only happen with right wing ideology.
Um.

The executive gets its power from the same document as the Senate and Supreme Court.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dwarf74 posted:

Um.

The executive gets its power from the same document as the Senate and Supreme Court.

I'm kinda wondering if you're aware of recent events with respect to SCOTUS essentially increasingly finding that Congress has no lawmaking capacity?

Like, the poster is saying "illegitimate" to refer not to systems that lack statutory foundation for their existence, but those that are increasingly and brazenly running rogue (SCOTUS much moreso than the Senate, which is more of a corpse).

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 24, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

How do you yanks think you could handle a rogue judiciary without, you know, flipping the table at this point? That isn't just 'vote moar'.

This isn't a shitpost, it's a genuinely important political question.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

Srice posted:

I'd be curious to know how many folks here were taught in school how to cook and if what they were taught wound up being healthy. I wanna say that there was some sort of optional class in my high school but I never took it.

Even with modern conveniences it still takes time and money for someone to experiment, after all. Resources that wouldn't be as big of an issue in a high school setting.
Not from the US but I did Home Economics lessons around 11 and 12. I think it mostly was making biscuits and other sweets though. When I started living away from home I could only really make carb loaded meals with meat and a salad but with horrible portion sizes. I had to learn how to make balanced meals from the Internet.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

StratGoatCom posted:

How do you yanks think you could handle a rogue judiciary without, you know, flipping the table at this point? That isn't just 'vote moar'.

This isn't a shitpost, it's a genuinely important political question.

It's a hard question floated in a LOT of special interest threads all over D&D / CSPAM. Like, no joke, things like continuity of regulatory capture, labor rights, human rights, etc are broadly recognized as a major issue past 2024.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Given the substrain that is currently spreading in Denmark and the fact pediatric hospitalizations have now outpaced 80+ year olds, I am becoming a bit concerned about this substrain.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So is BA 2 going to be Phi, or whatever the next Greek letter is?

Oh, it's pi

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Our security is guaranteed by being able to melt the eyeballs of any other forum's denizens at 15 minutes notice

A big flaming stink posted:

Oh, it's pi

π, as in the math. goddamit :ninja:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Potato Salad posted:

It's a hard question floated in a LOT of special interest threads all over D&D / CSPAM. Like, no joke, things like continuity of regulatory capture, labor rights, human rights, etc are broadly recognized as a major issue past 2024.

I think this may go beyond the scope of this thread. I know I’m the one that brought it up so that is my bad. I will say that Potato Salad hit my feelings on the subject exactly.

Oh, it's pi

Honestly how do variants gain the award of a Greek letter at this point? Wouldn’t BA.2 just be called omicron plus or something (like with delta)?

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

StratGoatCom posted:

π, as in the math. goddamit :ninja:

They'll skip it for the same reasons they skipped Nu and Xi. So Tau.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

I think this may go beyond the scope of this thread.

For sure. I have to believe it's okay to say "this topic is addressed elsewhere, it kinda has to do with x, y, z" in interconnected politics threads like this one.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Oracle posted:

WE ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS HORRIFIC CATASTROPHY, GUE'LA!

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Oracle posted:

Isn't rho after pi

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Would that make it the corhonavirus?

VitalSigns posted:

Hypothetically if you were to do something like that it would need to look like addressing the structural issues actually causing the problem in the first place.

I agree with all of this, particularly with regards to the covid response, which I think has proven that the country doesn't really have the ability to make these kinds of decisions. The general failure to address issues of airborne covid spread is probably the worst example - we've just decided to pretend that air can't go over a three foot plexiglass divider.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

These are VoC, VoI, and VoM watched by the European CDC, some of which have the WHO labels we've come to love (alpha, beta, etc)

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/covid-19/variants-concern

I was disappointed that THE OMICRON VARIANT wasn't a lost 80s Transformers movie.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Isn't rho after pi

Yep, you're right. Rho. I read the chart wrong :P

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Careful, if we hit COVID OMEGA we get an immediate game over

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

gohuskies posted:

I believe I am "that poster". Yes, I completely agree that an actually effective public health campaign to reduce obesity in America would be very difficult. I believe most people can lose fat with personal behavior changes, but I think the last couple years have made it crystal clear how many Americans don't care about making personal behavior changes to improve their health, as if past obesity/health/nutrition campaigns already didn't make that clear.

My point is perhaps glib, but many posters in these thread don't hesitate to say that the federal government should undertake all sorts of initiatives to stop COVID that are arguably just as infeasible, difficult, or downright impossible. How do we get anti-vaxxers vaccinated and anti-maskers masked? How do we rebuild every public building in the country to improve air circulation? How do we make remote education actually work well for students if schools have to close? How do we relieve our overburdened health care workforce and system? All of these questions are difficult just like "how do we reduce obesity", yet many folks think Biden should just step up and solve them - he should issue an order and if the Supreme Court says he can't, then we should ignore them or it's fine because a bunch of the positive impact will have already happened. But when it's obesity though, we get all sorts of explanations of why it can't be done, and I think that's odd.

Forgetting legislative viability(because literally nothing is viable right now), again you're talking about personal behavior changes.

The Obesity rise has been nationwide and occuring over time. The US didn't gradually become worse at feeding ourselves, cooking at home, or controlling our appetities. People din't just get lazy. Talking about personal responsibility for a society-wide obesity increase is just the policy version of fat-shaming people as being intellectually incurious or gluttons.

The problem is the food. We stuff sugar into everything and sugar is addictive and unhealthy in the quantities we put in it. We subsidize sugar and we have made it possible to put everywhere, and so we have because people love it. Meanwhile you're over here complaining that the fatties just don't want to change.

It's a capitalism problem. It's a societal problem.

You're not going to send the entire population of the country to federal fat camp and teach them how to make a tasty salad.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

No you should not get a second booster. What in the world?

Because you're advised not to get the shots if you're sick and I wasn't certain if that had anything to do with their effectiveness, but thanks for the condescension.

James Garfield posted:

There's no reason to, vaccines still work if you're mildly ill when you get them. You don't get the vaccine immediately after a positive test because you're supposed to be in isolation.

This is actually helpful, non-sarcastically thanks for that.

killer_robot
Aug 26, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Judge lifted the injunction against Ascencion because for some reason Theracare and Ascencion weren't willing to get together and discuss things like adults.

https://fox11online.com/news/local/thedacare-vs-ascension-returns-to-court-after-temporary-restraining-order-granted

zenguitarman
Apr 6, 2009

Come on, lemme see ya shake your tail feather

haveblue posted:

Careful, if we hit COVID OMEGA we get an immediate game over

We're already in a death spiral so we should probably just reset.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

I get the feeling you still think that obesity is something that can be targetted via personal behavior.

I think people drink too many sugar drinks, and I think reducing consumption would have significant health effects in our population. It worked for smoking—and that’s physically addictive. So it stands to reason that it would work for soda/sugar drinks.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the obesity epidemic? How do you think we could combat it?

E: I saw you posted this

quote:

The problem is the food. We stuff sugar into everything and sugar is addictive and unhealthy in the quantities we put in it. We subsidize sugar and we have made it possible to put everywhere, and so we have because people love it. Meanwhile you're over here complaining that the fatties just don't want to change.

What’s the difference between your position and mine? We both agree that Americans consume too much sugar, I proposed a solution that has been carried out before in 10 different locales. Reducing/banning added sugar to foods seems unrealistic, although I agree with you it is a major problem.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 24, 2022

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

I think people drink too many sugar drinks, and I think reducing consumption would have significant health effects in our population. It worked for smoking—and that’s physically addictive. So it stands to reason that it would work for soda/sugar drinks.

Anyways, what are your thoughts on the obesity epidemic? How do you think we could combat it?

Nicotine was dodgable in a way low grade calories ain't. To fix that, you have to fix the food chain.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Did people just start drinking sugary drinks? Did we as a society just decide "hey lets get fat?" It's it odd that every one just started getting fat at roughly the same rate across a huge country? And also in nations with similar diets?

I'd probably end sugar and corn subsidies to start, as one of the major issues is that processed sugar is a very very cheap ingredient.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

Did people just start drinking sugary drinks? Did we as a society just decide "hey lets get fat?" It's it odd that every one just started getting fat at roughly the same rate across a huge country? And also in nations with similar diets?

I'd probably end sugar and corn subsidies to start, as one of the major issues is that processed sugar is a very very cheap ingredient.

You can do this while still expanding and funding education to include home economics that teach nutrition and food prep, as well as home financing etc. If you have a functional society you can do both, it's not an either or thing.

v Do you have a good argument as to why we shouldn't do both or what? v

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jan 24, 2022

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Obesity is a problem because we allow multi billion dollar entities complete freedom to propagate addiction to terribly unhealthy food just fyi

all the education and soda taxes in existence won't do jack to stop obesity as long as that is the case

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Professor Beetus posted:

You can do this while still expanding and funding education to include home economics that teach nutrition and food prep, as well as home financing etc. If you have a functional society you can do both, it's not an either or thing.

You absolutely can, but when that's the only thing people are advocating for an obesity epidemic that is obviously a food chain problem, I'm going to push back and point out that behavioral stuff is only addressing symptoms.

Obesity is a problem because we allow multi billion dollar entities complete freedom to propagate addiction to terribly unhealthy food just fyi

all the education and soda taxes in existence won't do jack to stop obesity as long as that is the case

Not 100% agreement with this but it's way closer to the truth than "lets teach people how to eat salad"

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Jaxyon posted:

Big Gulps, super sized fountain drinks, etc are all recent inventions. A Coke in a bottle was 6oz at first, McDonald’s drinks were 7oz. A “Family Size” coke bottle came out in the 50s—it was 21 oz!! beverages have hugely increased in size since then, and I think it’s no coincidence that our waistlines have as well.

Anyways, thanks for responding. I’m surprised that I gave you the impression that I think it’s an individual issue, I don’t think my postings have reflected that.

Also: thanks to Mr Beetus (the mod) for letting the discussion flow, I think it’s been productive even if not strictly related to COVID

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Professor Beetus posted:

education and focus on individual actions does nothing but obfuscate the true responsible party, and turns a social problem into an individual's immoral behavior.

and we will never ever do anything to address the actual cause because capital reigns supreme

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

Well, I was born in Ukraine, so soda wasn't something I had access to as a child, and I never picked it up as a habit even after many years in the US. (I just drink unreasonable amount of tea). Food culture is very much a thing.

StratGoatCom
Aug 6, 2019

Professor Beetus posted:

Trying to keep the blame off people, while not entirely accurate from a truth perspective, is kind of useful to help reduce rebellion and stupid defiance.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Jaxyon posted:

You absolutely can, but when that's the only thing people are advocating for an obesity epidemic that is obviously a food chain problem, I'm going to push back and point out that behavioral stuff is only addressing symptoms.

Not 100% agreement with this but it's way closer to the truth than "lets teach people how to eat salad"

Does anyone here actually disagree with all this or are we shouting circles around each other at this point?

E: I saw you posted this

What’s the difference between your position and mine? We both agree that Americans consume too much sugar, I proposed a solution that has been carried out before in 10 different locales. Reducing/banning added sugar to foods seems unrealistic, although I agree with you it is a major problem.

This is the only post I found that comes close, and even then it appears that it's mostly because they think that reducing/banning added sugar to foods seems unrealistic. So I guess again this might be another case of poster a saying "this is how things should be done" with "this is the best we could do in current reality to address the problem."

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

education and focus on individual actions does nothing but obfuscate the true responsible party, and turns a social problem into an individual's immoral behavior.

and we will never ever do anything to address the actual cause because capital reigns supreme

StratGoatCom posted:

Trying to keep the blame off people, while not entirely accurate from a truth perspective, is kind of useful to help reduce rebellion and stupid defiance.

It doesn't have to be about blaming and shaming though? Teaching people how to make nutritious food for themselves in school isn't making it into some immoral behavior thing or whatever, it's stuff people should be learning regardless.

e: This is getting pretty far afield from Covid but it is an interesting topic and since I participated I'm not going to officially ask it to stop or anything. Just be kind to each other and don't assume the worst about someone's ideas and ideally this discussion should taper off back into actual covid chat before too long.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jan 24, 2022

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I checked youtube for PSAs on obesity, and found a lot of them, mostly several years old & mostly targeted toward kids & teens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdVfpXSq2nY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hijSnZ8SVo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUmp67YDlHY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saBB6YA6R-I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g390zSk2bQE

There were even some specifically made about or mentioning obesity & covid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrFcAZn_sfE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGV6G_wYLsE

There's even a half-hour compilation of them (non-covid-specific; I haven't watched it):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGrW6IKzoKU

And here's an 7+ minute old-school PSA from the 1950s, "Cheers for Chubby":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14oSJAYFMwo

(Because we live in a capitalistic hellworld, it could be that some of the ad campaigns are funded & aired by for-profit interests, like bariatric surgery.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016

Big Gulps, super sized fountain drinks, etc are all recent inventions. A Coke in a bottle was 6oz at first, McDonald’s drinks were 7oz. A “Family Size” coke bottle came out in the 50s—it was 21 oz!! beverages have hugely increased in size since then, and I think it’s no coincidence that our waistlines have as well.

Anyways, thanks for responding. I’m surprised that I gave you the impression that I think it’s an individual issue, I don’t think my postings have reflected that.

Also: thanks to Mr Beetus (the mod) for letting the discussion flow, I think it’s been productive even if not strictly related to COVID

Why do you think it's economical for soft drinks to come in 64oz cups?

Just because people decided to get fat?

I'm asking rhetorically. It's an economic issue that's being disguised as a personal responsilibity one, and I hate that.