Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

quote:

Patton

Dog gone it. I like George C Scott but I shouldn't have put so many darned war movies on my list. Going to be hard for anything to follow and top The Thin Red Line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was gonna watch Brokeback immediately just so I could pick Nashville for you but then I got busy :(

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I was gonna watch Brokeback immediately just so I could pick Nashville for you but then I got busy :(

No worries, man. Rules are rules.

I just didn't want to watch 2 military themed movies back to back but that's on me.

Brokeback is really good so you're in fine shape.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

Bambi - The Killing of a Sacred Deer Doe. I may have seen all of this when I was very young but I'm not 100% sure. Either way it'll be a fresh view or rewatch. 12/27/21

You're so close to becoming movie literate!

Brokeback Mountain

I knew so little about this I thought it was set in like, Deadwood times. I think I, for some reason, always assumed it would be more melodramatic, but it's extremely understated and tender, with incredible direction from Lee. The four main performances are all fantastic, but Ledger is easily the highlight: I'd never seen one of his quieter performances, but he was phenomenal. Excellent script too, with so much to say about repression, loneliness, and masculinity without being on-the-nose about it. A very moving and heartbreaking film.

Shame List:

01. As Tears Go By: Got the WKW Criterion boxset so wanna go through it in order (I’ve already seen Chungking/Happy Together/In the Mood)

05. The Double Life of Veronique: I actually did watch this like a decade ago but remember almost nothing about it!!!! Irene Jacobs is cute though and I recently did a Three Colours rewatch. Oh my god I just realised I’m gonna have to put Dekalog on here eventually

07. A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

09. Songs from the Second Floor: Picked up Artificial Eye’s Roy Andersson boxset recently. I remember adoring You, the Living when I saw it in 2008-9, but that’s my only experience with his work so far.

12. Mikey and Nicky: I'd never heard of this until last year when it started popping up all over the place. It sounds really interesting and I love me some Peter Falk.

13. Close-Up: First entry for a new bit "Films my best friends adore but I haven't bothered to see yet". Also obv one of the most acclaimed films ever that I'm yet to see and so on.

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change later this year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

17. Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet.

19. Stand By Me: Always expected I’d like this but never actually gotten around to it. Plus it’s such a key reference point for a lot of other things.

20. The Thing (1982): And a million goon's jaws just dropped in shock. Yes, I've never seen this, but I recently bought the 4K disc, so now is the time!

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

20. The Thing (1982): And a million goon's jaws just dropped in shock. Yes, I've never seen this, but I recently bought the 4K disc, so now is the time!

Yea there's no way I was gonna pass up the chance to assign The Thing. That UHD is excellent as well, the lighting really popped in a way that don't feel it did on my 10 year old blu ray.

So, Superman. It certainly has a lot of elements that I enjoy, like how the first act is a straight sci-fi/fantasy and you get to spend some time on Krypton before it explodes. Then the whole discovery portion where Clark finds the ship and learns about his origins. That stuff is probably my favorite of the Superman adaptations I've seen, like the more recent Man of Steel. I also just really enjoy the overall look of this film, it has a sheen to it that fits with the fantasy atmosphere. It's clearly New York, but the aesthetic helps give me the push I need to imagine that no, this is actually Metropolis.

It does have some flaws that I feel were also passed along to it's successors, like the fact that it's 2.5 hours long. And I get it, this was a big deal. The first big budget Superman film, people wanted something that feels epic. But for me the film was a bit too slow in some sections. I don't know that we needed to spend as much time as we did with teenage Superman, and then again once we get to Metropolis it felt like a long time before the main storyline got going. So by the end there was a feeling of exhaustion that kinda does take away from the overall experience.

Reeve really was a perfect Clark/Superman though. He played both parts so well that you actually can almost buy that nobody would recognize him. I'll probably keep going in the series because I've only seen moments here and there so I really don't know the arch or where things go from this point.

Current List:

1. Superman: The Movie: Very odd that I've never actually sat down and watched this from start to finish. I feel like I know what all the parts are and what they look like but I don't know how they fit together.
2. Bonnie and Clyde: One of those movies where I've seen the iconic ending but never actually sat down to watch the whole thing. It won a bunch of awards though so I guess I should.
3. Watership Down: I've often heard this one come up in discussions of some of the greatest animated films of all time
4. A Streetcar Named Desire: This is a big iconic Brando performance that I haven't seen.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Risky Business: Definitely feels like I've seen this but I actually haven't. One of only a few Cruise movies I haven't seen.
7. American Graffiti: I was a Star Wars kid so not having seen this one is pretty shameful
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.
9. The Hero: I've enjoyed everything I've seen from Satyajit Ray so far and I've been meaning to delve into his work further.
10. Castle in the Sky: More Miyazaki

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 24, 2022

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Basebf555 posted:

Reeve really was a perfect Clark/Superman though. He played both parts so well that you actually can almost buy that nobody would recognize him. I'll probably keep going in the series because I've only seen moments here and there so I really don't know the arch or where things go from this point.

For sure! I'll say Superman 2 is pretty much the only really good sequel, and I prefer the theatrical cut for that one, didn't feel like they quite pulled it off with the Donner cut. Long story short, as kind of summerized on the wiki, it's a hodgepodge, not quite a completed movie in that version. The Lester version is pretty much a masterpiece I think. Superman 3 is worth a watch I think, but not really say part of a thing "going somewhere", it's got some solid Pryor. 4 is a movie.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k

Basebf555 posted:

9. The Hero: I've enjoyed everything I've seen from Satyajit Ray so far and I've been meaning to delve into his work further.

Hello again thread. It's been almost 8 years since I popped in here, and I'm glad to see it's still going. I watched half of the films on my 2014 list, including the one picked for me, Y Tu Mamá También, which I absolutely loved and immediately wished I'd seen in college when it came out because it would have completely blown my mind. It's still great, of course, but there are just some things I wish I'd seen earlier. Anyone else get that?

So here's the updated list:

13. Yi Yi - it's on so many top 10/50/100 lists but I've never gotten to it.

2. Solaris - the last Tarkovsky - Stalker - had me squirming with boredom (the book had me believing that the movie was going to be amazing). Maybe this is more exciting?

20. In the Heat of the Night - RIP Sir Sidney Poitier.

16. Baraka - I dunno why I haven't seen it yet.

19. L'Atalante - One of the TSPDT top 20 so it'll probably be good.

21. Moonlight - Been postponing this for some reason.

7. The Lives of Others - I enjoy espionage stuff, but this has always felt like it could be too heavy.

22. Toni Erdmann - It's rapidly climbing those best of charts and I bought the DVD when our local store went out of business. I think I've been saving it for a day when I need a good new movie.

23. L’Argent - Love Bresson, just need to get around to this one.

24. Woman in the Dunes - I think an old pal recommended this one.

artichoke fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jan 26, 2022

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

artichoke posted:

13. Yi Yi - it's on so many top 10/50/100 lists but I've never gotten to it.

Edward Yang is one of my favourites.

The Thing

Some very mixed and perhaps controversial feelings here. When I liked this movie, I loving loved it. Unfortunately, that was basically only any time the Thing was actually doing something creepy or killing someone, which is not as much of the movie as you might expect. The rest of it is largely really boring, under-developed characters being excessively dull. My assumption was that the paranoia element would make up for this, but I felt that it mostly stayed on kind of a tepid level until the last 25 minutes or so, at which point I'd already spend far too much of the movie being bored. I'm a character guy above all else, and this film didn't present me with characters I was interested in at all. I wanted to actually care whether this guy or this guy was possessed, and it just didn't happen. I feel like Alien, which has a similar style and set of characters, does a much better job at making them more interesting and having them all feel different with not a lot of screen time (plus it has interesting Giger imagery whereas this has like.....snow and buildings).

I can see why it's considered a classic - especially for the effects, which hooooly poo poo wow - but the ratio of loving amazing scenes to extremely uninteresting scenes was far too geared towards the latter for me. Does get some extra props for having the perfect ending, though, and it was worth watching for those few minutes from Cooper's arms getting bitten off to the legged head getting torched alone. God drat that was so good.

Shame List:

01. As Tears Go By: Got the WKW Criterion boxset so wanna go through it in order (I’ve already seen Chungking/Happy Together/In the Mood)

05. The Double Life of Veronique: I actually did watch this like a decade ago but remember almost nothing about it!!!! Irene Jacobs is cute though and I recently did a Three Colours rewatch. Oh my god I just realised I’m gonna have to put Dekalog on here eventually

07. A Face in the Crowd: A few friends watched this at around the same time and all loved it so I picked the Criterion up. Seems like something I’d enjoy quite a bit.

09. Songs from the Second Floor: Picked up Artificial Eye’s Roy Andersson boxset recently. I remember adoring You, the Living when I saw it in 2008-9, but that’s my only experience with his work so far.

12. Mikey and Nicky: I'd never heard of this until last year when it started popping up all over the place. It sounds really interesting and I love me some Peter Falk.

13. Close-Up: First entry for a new bit "Films my best friends adore but I haven't bothered to see yet". Also obv one of the most acclaimed films ever that I'm yet to see and so on.

15. Late Spring: Now finishing off the last few in the Sight & Sound top 50. Just in time for it to change later this year! Only seen Tokyo Story from Ozu, but liked it a lot.

17. Double Indemnity: I love Wilder and I love noir but I haven't seen this one yet.

19. Stand By Me: Always expected I’d like this but never actually gotten around to it. Plus it’s such a key reference point for a lot of other things.

21. Rio Bravo: The highest-rated movie on the TSPDT 1000 I haven't seen. Not exactly a Western guy, but I like the two Hawks movies I've seen so far (admittedly they were both screwballs).

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

The Thing is one I really loved on the second viewing, years later. Not to say you gotta, but it went like that for me, maybe something to it. Apocalypse Now is another one, though that also is partially due to the theatrical cut being more up my alley I think. Also when it comes to slow pace and soaking it in, a lot of that is on my mood I think. Escape from NY is a movie I love, seen it many times, but the pace and vibe of it works for me differently at different times.

By the way thread, I'm gonna watch The Apartment, I'm not gonna duck my duties here. It's gonna happen soon. Yes I just watched all of The Mandalorian this past week.

For fun, here's a couple quick hits on things I had on my list in the past, that I watched more recently.

Titan A.E. - not half bad! The early CGI aliens were a dud, but the adventure game-esque space romp had a lot of charm.

The Fog - speaking of Carpenter, great movie! This was one of those October watches. So cool, and the cast is just top notch.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 1, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Wow. I've never heard or read anyone saying they didn't like The Thing. It's one of my favorite horror movies of all time but to each their own. That review just took me by surprise.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Escobarbarian posted:

"Do you prefer being Makhmalbaf or Sabzian?"

Bambi - The film begins with a deer learning to walk and talk. It feels like a precursor to Watership Down (1978) but the story is lighter at times. It also features an animal hierarchy similar to the one found in The Lion King (1994).

With the arrival of springtime it's time for twitterpation. But the animals have to hide deep in the forest at times due to the evil hunters lurking around. They've brought their shotguns and hunting dogs. Later a forest fire brings more destruction.

The film ends the way it started and this demonstrates the cycle of life.

Also watched:

Hostel - A few dopey tourists take in the nightlife in a handful of European cities. One isn't quite sure if these guys are always gullible or if they're tranced because they're in an idyllic sexual fairy-tale.

It's no surprise when things take a bad turn. So much nasty torture takes place in rundown buildings with interspersed bloodcurdling screams. The film may've been better served with a little more mystery.

The first few Saw films had a clearer ethos. I remember reading that Repulsion (1965) was compared to Psycho (1960) upon its release and I feel the same relation here. Both later films are more shocking.

PS This sadistic sicko is hard to forget: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAC6RfndhMQ

James Bond versus Godzilla (43/64 completed):

Hesitation (86 completed):

#73 Bug (1975) - A horror film that may or may not be good. 8/12/21

#80 Sergeant York - A popular one about a WWI hero that I haven't gotten around to watching. 9/5/21

#84 Shadow Warrior AKA Kagemusha - One of the last major Kurosawa films I have not seen. 11/4/21

#86 Summer Rental - John Candy didn't live very long but he appeared in a ton of films. 11/13/21

#88 Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle - An extreme level of product placement. 11/30/21

#92 Elevator to the Gallows - An early Louis Malle that I haven't gotten to. 12/21/21

#93 The Naked City - Another Jules Dassin film I haven't watched. 1/23/22

#94 Alone in the Dark - I heard this is an overlooked classic. 1/23/22

new #95 The Green Ray - A somewhat newer Eric Rohmer film. 1/31/22

Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See to Become Movie Literate (99/102 completed):

new The Big Red One - Luke Skywalker and his adventures during WWII. 1/31/22

It's a Gift - It looks like it may be time for another film starring W.C. Fields. 12/27/21

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

artichoke posted:

Anyone else get that?

:hmmyes: Welcome back after eight years.

BiggerBoat posted:

Wow. I've never heard or read anyone saying they didn't like The Thing. It's one of my favorite horror movies of all time but to each their own. That review just took me by surprise.

It's a minority opinion that I've read before. A couple of other classics from that era that new viewers don't seem to be enamored with are Mad Max and The Terminator.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BiggerBoat posted:

I mean it’s still like a 7/10 movie for me on the strength of the scenes I loved alone. I feel I did a pretty good job of explaining what I didn’t vibe with otherwise - the characters are just so bad, and that doesn’t matter to a lot of people, which is cool, but it does to me.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Zogo posted:

#80 Sergeant York - A popular one about a WWI hero that I haven't gotten around to watching. 9/5/21

Sometimes you just gotta pick the movie that's been on someone's list the longest, y'know?

Close-up

This was one of the most fascinating and amazing movies I've seen in a really long time. The movie itself is very effective, especially the scenes where Sabzian is struggling to explain what he did, and the structure and climax are excellent. I especially liked how unsure it left me of what was or wasn't fact vs fiction.....which I only loved more after reading the Criterion article and realising the two are so intertwined and mixed up in every single scene and how Kiarostami himself basically hoodwinked everyone involved the same way Sabzian hoodwinked the family. I'm honestly still stunned - that was an incredible film that I should have watched years ago, so thoughtful and playful and powerful. I basically consider that Criterion article to be an essential part of the experience of this movie - I came out of it with my brain scrambled and wanting answers, and found that the answers only scrambled my brain further. Easily the best movie I've seen as part of this thread so far.

Shame List:

21. Rio Bravo: The highest-rated movie on the TSPDT 1000 I haven't seen. Not exactly a Western guy, but I like the two Hawks movies I've seen so far (admittedly they were both screwballs).

22. The Spirit of the Beehive: I've watched one friend's favourite movie, so here's a different friend's favourite movie!

Watched: Beau Travail, Harakiri, Memories of Murder, Being There, Schindler's List, Ugetsu, Branded to Kill, F For Fake, Videodrome, Brokeback Mountain, The Thing, Close-up

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

Rio Bravo is very interesting in that it mostly exists as a specific response to another Western, High Noon(John Wayne was a dick). If this is going to be your Western slot then High Noon would be a great choice for the next one after you watch Rio Bravo.

I watched Satyajit Ray's The Hero. I really knew nothing about the film itself other than Ray had directed it, so it was a nice surprise to see that this is Ray's version of the whole "successful artist wistfully looks back on his life, his missteps and his various regrets" thing. One of the reasons I think I've enjoyed all of Ray's films that I've seen is that he takes familiar story structures and character types and places them into a setting(India, but specifically the Bengali region) I know almost nothing about. In The Hero, Arindam is a character who I've certainly seen before in other stories, and the actor who plays him, Kumar, establishes the foundation of the character very early on. You know who he is, Arindam himself is pretty self-aware, so the story as the film goes on is about an encounter with a person who will lead him to confront his own flaws and reckon with them. He's a guy who gets through a long train ride by taking sleep pills to avoid having to be alone with his own thoughts, but he learns on this particular train ride that engaging with other people can help you get to the other side of your own problems.

So the characters are strong, but like I said for me Ray's films are about being transported to a place I've never been and probably never will go. And Ray never seems to fail in doing that. Even in a film that mostly takes place on a train(I can only assume Wes Anderson has seen and enjoyed The Hero), Arindam's memories take you to a lot of interesting places and Ray always makes those places as visually stunning as they can possibly be. So obviously this is a meditative film and meant to be experienced when you're in the proper mood for that sort of thing, but if you are it's gonna be very satisfying and enlightening just like Wild Strawberries was.

Current List:

1. Superman: The Movie: Very odd that I've never actually sat down and watched this from start to finish. I feel like I know what all the parts are and what they look like but I don't know how they fit together.
2. Bonnie and Clyde: One of those movies where I've seen the iconic ending but never actually sat down to watch the whole thing. It won a bunch of awards though so I guess I should.
3. Watership Down: I've often heard this one come up in discussions of some of the greatest animated films of all time
4. A Streetcar Named Desire: This is a big iconic Brando performance that I haven't seen.
5. Oliver Twist: David Lean is one of my favorite directors so I'd like to fill in the gaps I have left with his filmography.
6. Risky Business: Definitely feels like I've seen this but I actually haven't. One of only a few Cruise movies I haven't seen.
7. American Graffiti: I was a Star Wars kid so not having seen this one is pretty shameful
8. The River: I love India as a setting for film and I've read a lot of good things about this one.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Feb 8, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

"Don't you think the Beach Boys are boss?"

Sergeant York - This biopic covers Alvin York and how he went from a drunken hooligan to a humble farmer to a pious pacifist and finally a sharpshooting war hero. The first half of the film could've been titled Farmer York as we only see the very rustic and somewhat parochial Tennessee. Cheerful bumpkins hooting and hollering etc. All while York tries to earn enough money to buy fertile farmland. But then the US enters the war and York reluctantly goes to France.

If you've seen Hacksaw Ridge (2016) or The Patriot (2000) you'll have a decent idea of what this one is like. Different subsets of US culture coming together to fight a European foe. It feels like an ideological rebuttal to All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) and Paths of Glory (1957). War is dangerous but maybe you'll get lucky and kill dozens of Germans and capture hundreds more.

PS It's steeped in US mythology. i.e. the Bible itself is pitted against Daniel Boone folklore.

Also watched:

Harold & Kumar Go to White Castle - It's a comedy of errors that takes a very circuitous route. Kind of a cross between Office Space (1999) and The Odd Couple (1968). But the driving forces here are marijuana, fast food and racist bullies.

It's no surprise that the film culminates with our two leads doing a White Castle mukbang. With marijuana being legalized in many places it makes one wonder if this brand of comedy is doomed going forward. It definitely changes the dynamics. I suppose there are a lot of other drugs to showcase e.g. Project X (2012) highlights some of them.

PS The hallucination scenes were a highlight.

new Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - I haven't heard much about this foe. 2/9/22

Hesitation (88 completed):

#84 Shadow Warrior AKA Kagemusha - One of the last major Kurosawa films I have not seen. 11/4/21

#86 Summer Rental - John Candy didn't live very long but he appeared in a ton of films. 11/13/21

#92 Elevator to the Gallows - An early Louis Malle that I haven't gotten to. 12/21/21

#95 The Green Ray - A somewhat newer Eric Rohmer film. 1/31/22

new #96 Silverado - I meant to watch this many years ago but forgot about it until recently. 2/9/22

Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See to Become Movie Literate (99/102 completed):

The Big Red One - Luke Skywalker and his adventures during WWII. 1/31/22

It's a Gift - It looks like it may be time for another film starring W.C. Fields. 12/27/21

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zogo posted:

#95 The Green Ray - A somewhat newer Eric Rohmer film. 1/31/22

I added that to my list lately, looks cool!

Alrighty I just watched The Apartment tonight. So drat good! What an incredible movie. I'm glad I finally came to my senses and watched this fine film, it is a timeless masterpiece. Billy Wilder is the king. So compelling, and disarming because of the humor and the mix of styles, just outrageously powerful filmmaking. Good freakin' stuff. I tell ya, it's movies like this that make you proud to be a film fan. And thanks for picking it!

These made the list:

Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - Keeping the Lemmon and/or Matthau thing going, everybody says it rules.

Hard Times - Looks like a better Bronson movie, and is said to be must see by Tarantino.

Harold and Maude - Keeping some vibes and motifs going, a movie I've meant to see for many many years.

Le Samourai - I've heard about this for over 20 years, since John Woo is a fan of it. Could be cool.

It's a Wonderful Life - Enjoyed some Jimmy Stewart lately, and I've somehow never seen this film.

His Girl Friday - It's got a cool title, and it somehow snuck onto this list. I guess it's pretty cool I hear.

In a Lonely Place - Looks like it rules. Bogart.

Wonder Boys - It has Michael Douglas and a memorable poster, it's gotta be worth a watch.

La Haine - They say this movie rules. I say, I'm gonna watch it sometime.

American Gigolo - kicking this list into a most Metal Gere. Richard Gere.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Apartment is SO good

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

American Gigolo - kicking this list into a most Metal Gere. Richard Gere.

"Why did you pick me?"

The Green Ray - A woman is rebuffed by her fiance. She believes she's unlucky in love (in reality she's pretty fickle and flighty about many things). So she takes a vacation and comes down with an acute case of wanderlust.

Delphine (Marie Rivière) reminded me a lot of Amelia (Catherine Keener) in Walking and Talking (1996). Another despondent person going through an identity crisis of sorts. Each person has pivotal moments in their life and a lot of the time it's only fully realized in hindsight.

Eric Rohmer is the king of capturing casual conversations and naturalism AFAIC. There's zero contrivances in his characters. Good stuff especially during a pandemic.

Also watched:

The Big Red One -

We follow five (seemingly invincible) soldiers across many WWII locales. It's told from their point of view without much patriotism. Things move along at a brisk pace as we witness many skirmishes and unexpected chaos right through to the shocking Holocaust revelations.

There are so many anecdotal touches that you can tell it was written by actual war participants. There's no grand message about the US being the good guys. It transcends the genre somewhat because of this. It's also unfiltered so this may be another reason it's underwatched despite being well made. Kind of like Hamburger Hill (1987) in some respects.

When it's all said and done these guys believe they have more in common with the surviving enemy soldiers than anyone else. Just the lucky people who are still alive as so much boils down to happenstance.

PS There's a brilliant scene that takes place in an asylum where an inmate picks up a gun and proclaims "I'm sane!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eFsz9899kY

Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla - I haven't heard much about this foe. 2/9/22

Hesitation (89 completed):

#96 Silverado - I meant to watch this many years ago but forgot about it until recently. 2/9/22

new #97 White Christmas - Black Christmas was good. Every holiday season I have a passing thought that I should watch this but I never get around to it. 2/20/22

new #98 The Guns of Navarone - Another WWII classic I have not seen. 2/20/22

Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See to Become Movie Literate (100/102 completed):

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Zogo posted:

new #98 The Guns of Navarone - Another WWII classic I have not seen. 2/20/22

Looks cool, Sam Jackson did mention it one time too.

I watched American Gigolo. Loved it! I feel like I'm cooler just for watching it, it is so drat cool. Call Me is one of my fav songs and I'm a Giorgio Moroder fan, and I love that vibe of early 80s. As is a really nice trend I've found in recent times, I tend to like these ol' backlog movies way more than I thought I might. Really clever, gripping, moving, groovin' film.

Another thing that comes to mind is a movie rules when you can just watch somebody walk around, and it's compelling and cool. Repo Man is one of my fav movies, and I kind of compare every dejected soulsearching walking to music scene to Emilio in that. And this movie has me watching a cool guy walking around, wondering what life is all about, looking really cool, and man, it was well done. Not sure quite how to articulate what I'm saying, but it was also a really well shot and edited movie. It feels like De Palma must have watched this, plus he worked with Giorgio a couple years later on Scarface. Sometimes you see people talk about aesthetic, vibe etc, and for me this is the stuff that is so cool you are just blown away. Plus the dialogue and performances were electric. Where has this movie been.

I also watched It's a Wonderful Life recently, such a great movie. As is the theme, I just didn't expect to connect with and love this movie as much as I did. And it's different from how I'd imagined, which is always the case too. It's a really cool, sharp, just masterful story of a life movie. The only stuff I'd heard about via references is the wild Dickensian type of thing, and when that kicks in it's like a bonus, I'd already had a hell of a movie. And that stuff really rocked as well. Thumbs up.

The list:

Taking of Pelham 1 2 3 - Keeping the Lemmon and/or Matthau thing going, everybody says it rules.

Hard Times - Looks like a better Bronson movie, and is said to be must see by Tarantino.

Harold and Maude - Keeping some vibes and motifs going, a movie I've meant to see for many many years.

Le Samourai - I've heard about this for over 20 years, since John Woo is a fan of it. Could be cool.

His Girl Friday - It's got a cool title, and it somehow snuck onto this list. I guess it's pretty cool I hear.

Wonder Boys - It has Michael Douglas and a memorable poster, it's gotta be worth a watch.

La Haine - They say this movie rules. Title is pretty metal.

Trouble in Mind - keeping the 80s picks rolling.

Gridlock'd - looks like a 90s gem.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Feb 23, 2022

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Heavy Metal posted:

Sometimes you see people talk about aesthetic, vibe etc, and for me this is the stuff that is so cool you are just blown away. Plus the dialogue and performances were electric. Where has this movie been.

Some other underrated ones from the same era that you'll probably like (if you haven't seen them already):

Cat People (1982)
Breathless (1983) - Another one with Richard Gere.
Body Double (1984)

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Thanks! Cat People I was thinking of popping on soon, plus it has more Giorgio and David Bowie too. Been meaning to see that Breathless remake, and I love Body Double. Blow Out too. Just a cool vibe and era.

Wizchine
Sep 17, 2007

Television is the retina
of the mind's eye.
Maybe Tony Scott's first feature film, The Hunger, is your thing?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Wizchine posted:

Maybe Tony Scott's first feature film, The Hunger, is your thing?

Very cool movie, for sure. Bowie too, extra coolness.

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Heavy Metal, see His Girl Friday

Been a while since I posted here.

Finally saw Sunrise. It is a lovely story about two people rediscovering the love they once had. You can really feel the emotion between the husband and the wife. It is beautifully shot and very well acted.

Also saw Holiday Inn. This is one of those movies that makes you feel nostalgic, even though I've never seen it before. Loved the singing and dancing. Bing Crosby is a wonderful actor in this.

My List:
Fort Apache - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

The Greatest Showman - My daughter recommended this one.

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.OLDEST

Battleship Potempkin - Don't know much about this one.

Pelle the Conquerer - Big fan of Max Von Sydow. Need to see more of his work.

Transformers: The Movie - Taking a break from Studio Ghibli. Not the Michael Bay movies. The animated movie from the 80's.

White Christmas - Just saw Holiday Inn. Looking forward to seeing this film NEWEST

Star Trek: Nemesis - This is the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen. I haven't heard good things about it, but I'll give it a shot.

Lost Highway - Keeping the David Lynch fest going.

Ocean's 11 - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. This is the original with Frank Sinatra.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Dmitri Russkie you have a lot of good choices on your list and I was initially going to go with Nemesis just so you can check off the last of the Star Trek movies, but a stiff hit of 80s Transformers almost always sits well. Your pick is Transformers: The Movie.

It’s been over a year since I was given My Neighbor Totoro by bitterandtwisted, but I finally watched it, and it is of course fantastic. A delightful look at childhood wonders and fears. The animation is stunningly gorgeous. The ghosts are cool, cute and terrifying in equal parts, which I think expresses where the girls are - the excitement of a new house and the adventure a new place brings is tempered by the fear of their mother being away from them in a hospital.

My list:

Solaris (1972) (classic scifi) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
Spider Man: Into The Spider-Verse (best of animation) - Superhero movies aren’t the first place I look when I’m looking for something to watch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about this
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I somehow have never seen in me, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas (neonoir) - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neonoir. That should be fixed.
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion
Scarface - I’ve seen clips, just never got around to watching the whole thing
Wild Strawberries - Need to see more bergman

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

smitster posted:

Scarface - I’ve seen clips, just never got around to watching the whole thing

"Every dog has his day, huh, Mel?"

The Guns of Navarone - A group of soldiers is ordered to destroy two very large guns that are preventing the rescue of 2,000 British troops from Kheros (a fictional Greek island).

The film covers lots of preparation and the arduous process of carrying it all out. There are many obstacles in the way: giant sea storms, cliffs that would make Alex Honnold turn away, tons of Nazis and a few saboteurs.

The ensemble cast is at odds with each other over a variety of things. Captain Mallory (Gregory Peck) and Corporal Miller (David Niven) spend a lot of time sarcastically roasting each other.

Also watched:

Shadow Warrior - For being three hours long it's an engaging story. It takes place ~1573-1575 and if ever there was a case for someone to suffer from impostor syndrome it'd be this one. The Shadow Warrior is tasked with impersonating Takeda Shingen (a daimyo) at times. But upon Shingen's death it becomes a full-time affair. This leads to a lot of backroom machinations, chicanery and some humor.

There are a lot of battles, sieges and military arguments but the highlight of the film is the conflicted performance of Tatsuya Nakadai who gets an interesting role and character arc and does a lot with it.

It has a handful of great shots that fit in with the later Ran (1985).

Hesitation (91 completed):

#92 Elevator to the Gallows - An early Louis Malle that I haven't gotten to yet. 12/21/21

#94 Alone in the Dark - I've heard this is an overlooked classic. 1/23/22

#96 Silverado - I meant to watch this many years ago but forgot about it until recently. 2/9/22

#97 White Christmas - Black Christmas was good. Every holiday season I have a passing thought that I should watch this but I never get around to it. 2/20/22

new #99 Dirty Pretty Things - Some say it's an essential film. 3/1/22

new #100 My Life to Live - I believe this is the last major Godard film I haven't seen. 3/1/22

Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See to Become Movie Literate (100/102 completed):

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#92 Elevator to the Gallows - An early Louis Malle that I haven't gotten to yet. 12/21/21

I really liked this when I saw it for a Noirvember, def worth a watch!

Scarface was awesome - over the top epic gangland drama about the drug-fueled American dream of making it big utterly consuming someone. Pacino’s Tony Montana was iconic and that final shootout was sweet! I would’ve liked a bit more of the “rise” part of “rise and fall”, it seemed like the movie skipped a bunch of Tony making it, but this isn’t a Scorcese epic. It focuses a little more on the main character, I felt, while the other characters were much more background.

My List:
Solaris (1972) (classic scifi) - I have a feeling I’ll like it, but Tarkovsky always seemed like it would be a slog and I never want to commit to it
Spider Man: Into The Spider-Verse (best of animation) - Superhero movies aren’t the first place I look when I’m looking for something to watch, but I’ve heard nothing but good things about this
Rio Bravo (1959) (classic westerns) - I have more classic Westerns that I somehow have never seen in me, adding this to the list!
Paths Of Glory (classic war movies) - Don’t tend to watch war movies but this shows up all the time
Paris, Texas (neonoir) - This seems right up my alley and yet I’ve never brought myself to see this neonoir. That should be fixed.
Breathless - It always seemed like I would find it boring so I avoided it forever. That should change!
12 Years A Slave - a well-regarded somewhat recent best picture I never did get around to seeing
Crimes And Misdemeanors - I’m just not a fan of Woody Allen, though I know his movies are important so I’d like to become at least a little more familiar with them - and I changed this from Manhattan based on this thread’s discussion
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

smitster posted:

"I love this burger. So delicious. One of the best burgers I've ever had. In my universe, this place closed six years ago. I don't know why. I really don't."

Elevator to the Gallows - A man wants to kill his boss over an affair and another guy wants to steal a car. These two stupid ideas set off a chain of events that ultimately doom both parties. I won't detail all the blunders that occur.

The dynamic that unfolds was fresh as incompetent criminals are inadvertently pitted against a couple of dopey delinquents. None of them are too bright and this leads to a bunch of humorous predicaments and twists. In short, criminal synergy.

Also watched:

Summer Rental - An overworked air-traffic controller (John Candy) takes a much needed vacation to Florida with his family. Many mishaps and gags ensue as this klutzy clodhopper tries to survive his holiday.

Richard Crenna plays the antagonist who wins the local regatta every year. Jack gets into an argument with him over a lobster dinner. Later he decides to regain his honor by trying to win the aforementioned competition.

There's a decent amount of 1980s parental angst that doesn't fit as well nearly forty years after its release. National Lampoon's Vacation (1983) remains the gold standard for this kind of film.

Hesitation (93 completed):

#94 Alone in the Dark (1982) - I've heard this is an overlooked classic. 1/23/22

#97 White Christmas - Black Christmas was good. Every holiday season I have a passing thought that I should watch this but I never get around to it. 2/20/22

#99 Dirty Pretty Things - Some say it's an essential film. 3/1/22

#100 My Life to Live - I believe this is the last major Godard film I haven't seen. 3/1/22

new #101 Vanishing Point - Something about cars. Maybe this will be similar to Two-Lane Blacktop which was also released in 1971. 3/12/22

new #102 Battle in Heaven - An interesting title. I think I first heard about this when watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey. 3/12/22

Dmitri Russkie
Feb 13, 2008

Zogo, White Christmas is on both yours and my lists. You get to see it first.

Saw Transformers: The Movie. I was a huge Generation One Transformers fan, back in the day. Loved the second season of the G1 cartoon. But, when the movie came out, I put off seeing the third season, since I knew that the movie would affect the storyline of the cartoon, until I saw the movie. The thing is, I never saw the movie until now. As a result, I also never saw the third season of Transformers, nor any other version. Just weird that I went from such a huge fan in season two to never watching a new episode again.

Anyway, Transformers: The Movie was pretty good. Voice actors did a really good job. Nice animation and a really good coming of age story. Would have liked a little more development of Rodimus Prime after he got the Matrix of Leadership and maybe some more on Galvatron and his minions, but maybe that happens in the third season. Music was good, and I liked most of it but the music felt kind of repetitive after a while.

Trying to figure out how I would have handled this movie as a kid. Optimus Prime's death probably would have really upset me when I was younger, but as an adult, it just seems as a necessary part of the story. Still not sure if I would have enjoyed it as much as a kid as I did as an adult. I think it really opens up the cartoon, story-wise, but I may not have appreciated that when I was younger.

My List:
Fort Apache - This will be my John Wayne spot for now.

The Greatest Showman - My daughter recommended this one.

Jabberwocky - Following up one Terry Gilliam movie with another.

The Cocoanuts - Working my way through the Marx Brothers movies. This is their first movie.OLDEST

Battleship Potempkin - Don't know much about this one.

Pelle the Conquerer - Big fan of Max Von Sydow. Need to see more of his work.

The Road to El Dorado - Heard a lot about this movie, Lookin forward to seeing it. NEWEST

White Christmas - Just saw Holiday Inn. Looking forward to seeing this film

Star Trek: Nemesis - This is the only Star Trek movie I haven't seen. I haven't heard good things about it, but I'll give it a shot.

Ocean's 11 - A slot here for Elvis, Sinatra, Beatles movies. This is the original with Frank Sinatra.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Dmitri Russkie posted:

Lost Highway might be my favorite non-Twin Peaks related Lynch film. Maybe. Lynch is hard to pin down, I end up feeling differently about his films every time I see them.

Anyway I dunno what the hell it is about this thread but it just drops completely out of my mind sometimes. I watched American Graffiti like 2 weeks ago and then just totally forgot to post! While American Graffiti is undeniably well made, well acted, and very influential, I did come away from it with the feeling that there was just something missing. It's weird, because for example I love Robert Altman's style of presenting these super dense worlds where you can watch again and again and find new connections you hadn't noticed before, and American Graffiti came out a year after McCable & Ms. Miller, and two years before Nashville. So you have to give Lucas some credit for making what has to be a precursor to that sort of structure where the characters and their lives are intertwined and countless ways and you watch them bounce off each other.

So I don't really have an answer as to why I didn't click with the movie, my best guess is the setting though. It's just not a time and place that I'm nostalgic for in any way and the various sights and sounds weren't really doing it for me like some other similar films do. I love when movies can transport you somewhere and American Graffiti certainly did, I guess I just didn't particularly care for the place it took me. Kinda crazy to think about how the time period depicted in the film was only about 10 years prior to when it was made. Watching it today it comes off like a period piece, which technically it is, but in 2022 it would be like if someone made a film set in 2010. It's interesting how Lucas injected such a feeling of nostalgia into a film that was set so close to when it was made.

Current List, with some new entries to replace the old:

1. Singin in the Rain: I've always avoided musicals but recently that's changed and I've been enjoying them. Not all of them, but I'm willing to roll the dice.
6. Bullitt: I actually haven't seen much McQueen and this is obviously a big one
7. For All Mankind: I want to check this out because there's a Criterion UHD release so if I like it I may want the UHD
9. Mon Oncle I loved Playtime but for whatever reason it's the only Tati I ever saw, not sure why I haven't followed up on that

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

6. Bullitt: I actually haven't seen much McQueen and this is obviously a big one

"Frank, we must all compromise."

White Christmas - It's 1944 and a few soldiers put on a show singing the famous jazz standard "White Christmas." All while guns are blasting and bombs are exploding in the midst of WWII.

After the war a private (Danny Kaye) teams up with a captain (Bing Crosby) and they become a famous singing pair. A series of serendipitous encounters lead them to pair up with a couple of singing sisters in Vermont.

The story has some manufactured conflicts and confusion. The song and dance numbers and the costumes are the highlight. I usually don't admire outfits and textiles on film but it's hard not to here. Edith Head was simply a prolific designer.

Also watched:

Vanishing Point - An ex-racer attempts to deliver a 1970 Dodge Challenger from Denver to San Fransisco. He's made a reckless bet that he can do it in only a day or so. So it becomes a big car chase with long stretches without dialogue.

Kowalski (Barry Newman) gets high on drugs, drives like a maniac and slowly destroys the beautiful car. Naturally, the police object to all of this. Definitely racking up thousands of dollars worth of tickets.

We get a few flashbacks that explain his current mindset. He's been marginalized like the leads in Easy Rider (1969). So it's not a shock that it shares a similarly explosive ending.

Hesitation (95 completed):

#94 Alone in the Dark (1982) - I've heard this is an overlooked classic. 1/23/22

#100 My Life to Live - I believe this is the last major Godard film I haven't seen. 3/1/22

#102 Battle in Heaven - An interesting title. I think I first heard about this when watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey. 3/12/22

new #103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

new #104 Demon Hag AKA Onibaba - A Japanese horror film with a good reputation. 3/28/22

Jim Emerson's 102 Movies You Must See to Become Movie Literate (101/102 completed):

Zogo fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 29, 2022

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Zogo posted:

WC Fields might have movies that are better as pure comedies (thinking of Bank Dick here) but he has no movies that are all-around better than It's A Gift. It's my dad's favorite movie, I've probably seen it a dozen times and some of the scenes still work every time.

For me -
Casino Royale 1967 - I love Bond movies, but I've never watched this strange early one outside of the Eon system.
Life Aquatic - I've enjoyed some Wes Anderson before like Royal Tenebaums but never went out of my way to watch this.
Dune - the 2021 version, I have no excuse for missing it. I like big sci-fi stories, I was just scared of COVID to watch it in the theater and haven't done it since.
Tenet - another pandemic theater movie I missed and haven't caught up to that should be up my alley.
Knives Out - recent actors I like, what's the deal?
Bad Day At Black Rock - I really like old westerns, this is one I haven't seen.
Duel - it put Spielberg on the map, it must be okay.
Le Samourai - I've enjoyed some of the 70s "birth of cool" movies but this is supposed to be the king of them all.
Sorcerer - Wages of Fear is one of my favorite movies, this should be similar.
Get Shorty - technically I already saw this as a kid, my parents showed me for reasons unknown, but I remember almost none of it except that it is supposed to be the height of cool adult humor. It probably isn't, but has a weird thing in my head now.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

gohuskies posted:

Duel - it put Spielberg on the map, it must be okay.

"I'd like to report a truck driver that's been endangering my life."

gohuskies posted:

WC Fields might have movies that are better as pure comedies (thinking of Bank Dick here) but he has no movies that are all-around better than It's A Gift. It's my dad's favorite movie, I've probably seen it a dozen times and some of the scenes still work every time.

I liked The Bank Dick and My Little Chickadee so I should get around to watching some of his others.

It's a Gift - W.C. Fields plays a deranged grocer who receives an inheritance. But he quickly squanders it on an underwhelming orange grove. He's such a henpecked character among other stressed out people screaming at one another.

I've said it before but W.C. Fields is like a fourth stooge with more wits about him. Considering the unrelenting harassment he undergoes it's strikingly like After Hours (1985).

Anyway, he's down on his luck and put through the wringer for 99% of the film. So the fortunate ending feels earned for a change.

Hesitation (95 completed):

#102 Battle in Heaven - An interesting title. I think I first heard about this when watching The Story of Film: An Odyssey. 3/12/22

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#104 Demon Hag AKA Onibaba - A Japanese horror film with a good reputation. 3/28/22

new #105 Scarlet Street - A Fritz Lang film with a good reputation. 4/4/22

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Zogo posted:

#104 Demon Hag AKA Onibaba - A Japanese horror film with a good reputation. 3/28/22

I rewatched this recently and really enjoyed it, so passing it on!

Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse - This was a lot of fun. The story was tight and contained and gave just enough room to have a lot of fun with all the different kinds of spider people and the various art styles that went along with them, an absolute joy to watch. The movie moved along at a tight pace with a lot of good interaction between the characters and there was always something to catch the eye. I recently have been playing some Champions Online for nostalgia reasons and this really captured the feel of what that game was kinda about. Aces.

My Shameful List:
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Raging Bull (TSPDT1000) - I never seem to be in the mood for a boxing movie, so I’ve been skipping this my whole life

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

smitster posted:

Harry Dean Stanton is always intense! Gotta love him.

I watched His Girl Friday, good stuff. I see how it's infuential as hell on lots of stuff I dig, and that it was the most fast talking movie of its time is a lotta fun. That said, it did lose me a bit in the middle, nothing delighted me as much as the Grant/Russell scenes. The other characters happened to talk fast, but they didn't have that spark that delighted me personally, and I wasn't into the main killer guy plot. And in general I'm more tickled by comedy from later decades, compared to say noir or westerns etc where I can really dig a 40s one. I've seen a few of these 30s/40s screwball comedies, and it's I guess not one of the vibes I geek out for that much.

I did especially love the style of satire and our amoral heroes here. Also Grant reminded me of Chow Yun-Fat's comedy stuff, which is a very good thing. Glad I checked it out.

The list:

La Haine - They say this movie rules. Title is pretty metal.

Trouble in Mind - keeping the 80s picks rolling.

Gridlock'd - looks like a 90s gem.

Duck Soup - keeping the comedy history thing going. Plus Nic Cage referenced Harpo recently, and he knows his stuff.

smitster
Apr 9, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Heavy Metal posted:

Cooler than cool, and the inspiration on John Woo (and maybe more on point Luc Besson) will shine

Paris, Texas - I don’t know what I read years ago that led me to thinking this was a gritty neonoir crime drama - it certainly wasn’t that. What it was was stark, moving, beautiful. The performances were quiet, almost subdued, but great, the landscape was incredible, and the entire movie confidently moved towards a very moving climax. This is one I’ll be revisiting. Harry Dean Stanton was, indeed, intense, but in a brooding quiet way.

My Shameful? List:
The Iron Giant (best of animation) - Continuing with animated movies that passed me by all these years
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (neonoir) - A newish classic, shows up on a lot of lists, feel like maybe I should see it, at least the first one?

Deshamed: Stagecoach, My Neighbor Totoro, Scarface, Spider-Man: Into The Spiderverse, Paris Texas

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

smitster posted:

"If you see something out of the ordinary, something besides me and Sartorius, try not to lose your head."

Demon Hag - Set in 1300s Japan a few tired and hungry characters live lives of desperation during a civil war. Two evasive women resort to murdering and bartering to eke out a living. Kill or be killed is their way of life.

When a man returns from the war a sex-starved woman adopts a playbook that feels inspired by the leaders from The Village (2004). Although if I had to pick something I was most reminded of it'd probably be Woman in the Dunes (1964).

I found the masked samurai, the curse and the horror itself to be tame and funnier than scary but it's still a great drama film with an impressively small cast.

Also watched:

Alone in the Dark - This one starts out like The Ninth Configuration (1980) with free-spirited doctors running "a haven for voyagers on vacation" rather than a mental hospital. Eventually things shift into a more familiar home invasion story. The film is unique in that both the perpetrators and some of the victims have mental issues. It lets the viewer get a little more inside the paranoid mind than most.

Donald Pleasence plays something adjacent to his familiar Loomis character from the Halloween series. But this time around he's a more trusting character.

Anyway, the film has some good tension, an explosive piano score and one great twist near the end.

Free on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYsCYv-qaIg

Hesitation (97 completed):

#103 Joyless Street - One of the few films I've recommended ITT that I haven't seen (as it's been hard to track down). 3/28/22

#105 Scarlet Street - A Fritz Lang film with a good reputation. 4/4/22

new #106 The Roaring Twenties - Another one of those James Cagney gangster films I haven't seen. 4/13/22

new #107 The Woman in the Window (1944) - Some say this is the best noir of all-time. :eyepop: 4/13/22

BeefSupreme
Sep 14, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Zogo posted:

A pretty fun straight-laced, non-revisionist western. tbh i don't remember if it's actually good and i also like Young Guns so the bar isn't too high

A Brighter Summer Day

This movie intimidated me for a long time (not as long as its 4-hour runtime, though!), and in the end, I had to recruit some buddies and bribe them with beers and Chinese food. We had a great time, but my feelings about the movie are mixed.

It is an undeniably well crafted film, and often quite beautiful. It is operatic, epic in scope, and tender at heart. But it is also all of 4 hours long, and makes no compromises, nor any attempts to shorten that 4 hours. The film features very little soundtrack or score, and it moves slowly and deliberately. Those are qualities I often admire in other works, and in the individual moments, I appreciated the film's willingness to linger and let the moments speak for themselves, but I think ultimately it's a lot of that for a movie this long.

The story here is beautiful and tragic, the sad tale of a lost generation and the turmoil that visits upon the families caught in the middle (in Taiwan, in this case). I'd normally briefly summarize the plot, but it's big... Mostly, it centers on Xiao Si'r, who is struggling to fit in, and ultimately finds himself in the wrong place, doing the wrong things. The themes are relatable and deeply explored--loneliness, melancholy, bitterness, dissatisfaction; generational disconnect, political unrest, emotional repression. There is really a lot going on in this movie.

I respect this movie more than I enjoy it, and I didn't really connect to it deeply. It is a high quality movie, well worth viewing and discussing, but it is not destined to be one of my all-timers.

It's been quite a while since I've been here, so I managed to cross a few others off my list as well, so:

ALSO WATCHED:
Bloodsport (1988): Fun and absurd. Nonsense story, but that's not really why you're here--it's for the gratuitous JCVD butt shot, right?
Do The Right Thing (1989): This movie made me angry, which I think of course was the point. Good movie, Spike Lee excess done right.
A Serious Man (2009): Shoutout to Chili who always told me this was his favorite Coen bros movie. It was very good. Like all Coen's, I immediately felt like I needed several rewatches
Perfect Blue (19970: Satoshi Kon has not let me down yet. This was great. Great use of animation to tell substantial stories.

THE WATCH LIST

Days of Heaven (1978): Seeing as Tree of Life is one of my favorite films, and I've seen none of his other movies, I should probably get started. This seems a good a place as any.

Throne of Blood (1957): Kurosawa and Shakespeare, seems like it'd be hard to go wrong with this one.

Nashville (1975): Recently got to rewatch Singing in the Rain on the big screen, so got me thinking about musicals I haven't seen. Here's one!

Le Samouraï (1967): The origin of cool. Or so I hear. The Red Circle and Army of Shadows are also on my list, so I guess I need to move on some Melville.

Memories of Murder (2003): From one true crime thriller to another, this one by Bong Joon-Ho, recent Oscar winner.

Scream (1996): I like horror movies now, so there's a looooong backlog of stuff to get through.

Eyes Wide Shut (1999): There are a few Kubrick's I need to get to, and this is the one I'm least likely to choose on my own, so one of you will have to choose it for me.

Millennium Actress (2001): Kon has yet to disappoint me. Next one on the list.

Boogie Nights (1997): I've seen 3 of PTA's films, which is not enough.

The 400 Blows (1959): I've never seen any Truffaut. I hear this brought up a lot, and it's another one that doesn't excite me on its face, so it lies with one of you to push me forward.

The Watched List: Paths of Glory; The Apartment; Solaris; A Touch of Zen; Apocalypse Now; The Iron Giant; Psycho; Cape Fear; Kill Bill: Vol. 1; My Neighbor Totoro; The Outlaw Josey Wales; Before Sunset; The Graduate; A Few Good Men; Out of Sight; The Birds; Ikiru; Umbrellas of Cherbourg; Schindler's List; Tokyo Story; Zodiac; A Brighter Summer Day; Do The Right Thing; Perfect Blue; Bloodsport; A Serious Man (26 total)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

BeefSupreme posted:

Eyes Wide Shut (1999): There are a few Kubrick's I need to get to, and this is the one I'm least likely to choose on my own, so one of you will have to choose it for me.

"I don't think you realize the danger you're in now. You can't fool them for much longer. You've got to get away before it's too late."

Silverado - This one has action right from the start. It takes the unpredictability of the West to new levels of parody as so many of the characters are compelled to start shooting at the drop of a hat. Lots of people enticing others into lethal shootouts e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBaUUJOO6V8

It brings to mind how odd some of the gun laws are around the world. It's obviously illegal for most to go around shooting people. But if you can goad someone into brandishing a weapon then you're often in the clear to start blasting away.

Anyway, I was reminded of The Magnificent Seven (1960) at times due to the far-fetched altruism exhibited by some. In another way it's a microcosm of the world as people get entangled in stuff outside of their control. Likewise, the basic hierarchy in the town of Silverado shows the same microcosm. A nuanced mixture of greedy owners vs. homesteaders vs. the ambivalent plays out.

PS I won't list the cast but it's a particularly deep one.

Also watched:

Battle in Heaven - It's a film full of downtrodden and world-weary people living in Mexico and how they fit in with the wealthy. I was reminded of some of the classism found in stuff like Burning (2018) and Parasite (2019). However, this film is the antithesis of one made in Hollywood. It feels more like an Italian neorealist film but much more explicit.

It's also more voyeuristic than most. Watching people watch people etc. Kind of like Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer (1986). I won't detail the source of guilt that drives the story but it showcases how that emotion can tear someone apart.

Hesitation (99 completed):

#105 Scarlet Street - A Fritz Lang film with a good reputation. 4/4/22

#106 The Roaring Twenties - Another one of those James Cagney gangster films I haven't seen. 4/13/22

#107 The Woman in the Window (1944) - Some say this is the best noir of all-time. :eyepop: 4/13/22

new #108 Cabiria - Many years ago this old epic was supposed to get a restored Blu-ray release but it never happened. I guess I'll just watch the available version. 4/23/22

Time Out's 100 Best Movies of All Time (98/100 completed):

new #54 The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant - I haven't seen a Fassbinder film lately. 4/23/22