Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Hmm but did Jake follow those Firaxis expatriates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikusR posted:

And now Xcom veterans left after xcom2 when they were tasked to turn xcom into a Marvel gacha cardgame.

It's not gacha and it's nothing like XCOM but apart from that sure

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Don't you see, they decided to never ever make another XCOM game ever again and there is rock solid evidence that a lot of people made up in their heads to prove it!

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Scaramouche posted:

Hmm but did Jake follow those Firaxis expatriates

Nah, looked at his Twitter and he seems positive about what that team is gonna do, but it's positivity directed externally.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Yeah, given how big of a smash success the firaxcom games where I can't see them not making a third one. Literally every turn based game was branded as "like xcom" for a good decade after eu came out.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Chairchucker posted:

Nah, looked at his Twitter and he seems positive about what that team is gonna do, but it's positivity directed externally.

Whew they might actually Fix Their Game then

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

It's not gacha
From Wikipedia
"Similar to loot boxes, gacha games induce players to spend in-game currency to receive a random virtual item. The in-game currency can be gained by game play..."

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

MikusR posted:

From Wikipedia
"Similar to loot boxes, gacha games induce players to spend in-game currency to receive a random virtual item. The in-game currency can be gained by game play..."

Yeah it's not that

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Chairchucker posted:

Yeah it's not that

You literary use currency to buy card packs from Tony Stark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JI-VapFaOPQ&t=329s

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Hmm hadn't seen that video before. It doesn't really specify how that one works tho, guess we'll see. I dunno to me it feels more like card unlocks in StS than random loot drops in a gacha game.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Unless it's abusively designed to suck RL money out of people it's not what people mean when they call a game gacha.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

XCOM 3 was on the NVIDIA leak list wasn’t it? I think we’ll get one, just not for awhile. And maybe not by Jake. It’ll start being like Civ where a new game director for a new game is common.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I really do want a Terror from the Deep remake. I have a weakness for cool underwater poo poo.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It’s kind of weird since TFTD redux was basically hinted at the end of XCOM 2 with the Templar cutscene.

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Didn't Jake say in an interview he hopes he'll be working on Xcom 18 on his deathbed, or something? Either way, there's no way we aren't getting an Xcom 3, the question is will it be announced before the Marvel game is out the door? My bet would be yes.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

RoyalScion posted:

It’s kind of weird since TFTD redux was basically hinted at the end of XCOM 2 with the Templar cutscene.

They also tease something in the deep in the tactical legacy pack missions

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Doublepost: The Jadestar lpngot me to binge the game again and I have to say that making the speaker a loving thin man was a great choice.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I tried to start a legend run again after finishing one in 2017 and It just reinforces the difficulty curve problem of the game. It's so frontloaded while you cruise control on commander after you get over the first 10% of the game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I bought XCOM2 on a sale a while back, then just downloaded the mod jam Long War of the Chosen Workshop Collection and I'm hesitating before pressing the play button today. I've watched like 70 videos of Derava's mod jam playthrough, so I'm familiar with the gameplay of the mod. I've played XCOM og, OpenCom, and newish XCOM. I've modded kenshi, rimworld, and factorio before and this is scratching that same itch. I am ready? I am ready...

wait no, I'm not ready I have to cut the voice clips from the ps1 game, Gex Enter the Gecko, so I can make a Dana Gould soldier for a discord bin. I am not ready... yet. I'm looking at the vocal queues in a google doc and I'm thinking "It's tail time" is contextually sound for every single entry.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Trying to play long war without ever having played the unmodded game is a bad bad idea, the difficulty is up massively.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I find unmodded XCom2 with the expansion/DLC to be just fine difficulty and length wise. I couldn’t imagine adding any of the LongWar stuff to the game.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Also like Mod Jam introduces some of the most bullshit mods imaginable into Long War and its just stupid and unfun. It adds enemies that have longer sight range than your units so you can be aggro'd from FOW and they have the ability to teleport. And they show up at FL 3. It adds Custodians who are the dumbest pile of health and armor anyone has ever put together who show up at the same time Mutons do. It adds the Frost Legion who's gimmick of being all about slowing and freezing you is even more punishing in Long War than in base WoTC.

Like it also gives you some stupid OP stuff, but you'll probably never see any of it because enemy and drop pools also become so diluted you're never gonna have enough corpses to make a thing. It is insanely poorly balanced overall and a huge difficulty spike even from base Long War.

Mr.Hotkeys
Dec 27, 2008

you're just thinking too much
Not sure if it's in mod jam, but make sure you get the Fulton mod. You're going to have a really tough time getting anything done with all the new enemy types and the already very rare opportunities to capture corpses.

KirbyKhan posted:

wait no, I'm not ready I have to cut the voice clips from the ps1 game, Gex Enter the Gecko, so I can make a Dana Gould soldier for a discord bin. I am not ready... yet. I'm looking at the vocal queues in a google doc and I'm thinking "It's tail time" is contextually sound for every single entry.

If you do this, post it, because I've no joke been pining for it for a very long time.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

FrickenMoron posted:

https://www.ign.com/articles/xcom-civilization-veterans-new-studio-bit-reactor

A lot of XCOM / Civ veteran staff have left Firaxis and formed their own Studio. I think the chances of an "official" XCOM 3 are getting ever smaller sadly.

Ooof, not very encouraging that a bunch of people who presumably would have been working on XCOM 3, at one of the only studios doing big budget turn based games, all bailed to go make their own turn-based studio.

Crossing my fingers we still get a great (or any) XCOM 3, but honestly, as someone who grew up with the original 90s game, WOTC is so much more than I ever expected to get as a followup that I'd be sad but content if the series went out on a high note like that.

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 24, 2022

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

I really do want a Terror from the Deep remake. I have a weakness for cool underwater poo poo.

TFTD was my intro to the series, I’d love to see it updated. Some of y’all haven’t had to go hunting for lobstermen in cruise ship closets and found them with your last TUs, and it shows :corsair:

Icon Of Sin fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 24, 2022

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Icon Of Sin posted:

TFTD was my intro to the series, I’d love to see it updated. Some of y’all haven’t had to go hunting for lobstermen in cruise ship closets and found them with your last TUs, and it shows :corsair:

I'd rather find a lobsterman than a triscene

How do those things even get in there

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

At least the bio-drones didn’t hide.

they were too busy trying to find you and ask for help, and liquefying your bones with their screams

That one little piece of lore in the TFTD UFOPedia hosed me up when I first read it at like age 12. Game wasn’t afraid to go dark at any point.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Sounds like someone didn't watch this handy guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

FoolyCharged posted:

Sounds like someone didn't watch this handy guide.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WziO005uM3g

It’s a perfect guide, but didn’t exist in 1997 :cry:

Anno
May 10, 2017

That new studio of ex-Firaxis folks are working with Respawn on a Star Wars game.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1485975709168271366

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Star Wars XCOM ey, sounds good.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chairchucker posted:

Star Wars XCOM ey, sounds good.

Many rookies died to bring us this information.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Yeah, I can get down with that poo poo.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Hell yeah. XCOM already has several flavors of Jedi, between Reaper Rangers, Templars, and Psi Ops. :getin:

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Anno posted:

That new studio of ex-Firaxis folks are working with Respawn on a Star Wars game.

https://twitter.com/EAStarWars/status/1485975709168271366

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

But I already have a star wars conversion mod?

Anno
May 10, 2017

Yeah I do hope the game systems are a departure from XCOM. There’s plenty of space for innovation in the tactics genre.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
I hope combat is not card based

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Elias_Maluco posted:

I hope combat is not card based

It's published by EA. EA owns PopCap. So combat will be match 3 based. Like Bejeweled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NeK10F6iA8E