Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Completely understandable. Ill look into it. The lady and butler looks fun enough it might be what makes me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone got any good Korean Romance ones they recommend? Something about the Korean ones appeals to me generally.

Also Manwha is.... Korean? Manhua is Chinese?
Just cause i can never remember.

Edit: Also aware the last few discussions have been mostly more action focused stuff so if this isnt the thread to ask apologies and ill shuffle off.

I can only recommend stuff that I've read that has an EN translation so, uh..

A Good Day to Be a Dog: A teacher comes from a line that's cursed to turn into dogs when they kiss someone. She has a crush on one of her fellow teachers, but accidentally kisses a different teacher. And guess what, this teacher is afraid of dogs! It's got a ton of twists and turns cause the author is apparently famous for swerving plots. It's concluded, though, and only 10 chapters are available for free.

See You in Your Next Life: A work by the same author as above, where the MC is someone with the ability to reincarnate and has pretty much lost the capacity to form a bond with people after living so many lives. Despite her best efforts to refrain from getting attached to people, she starts getting attached to someone... This one's currently running (even in Korea), so you can read it without paying for anything.

Meow Man: Turns out cat people are real and from a different world but they can come over to our world. MC is a girl in college with a crush on a dude in her club, but she finds a cat, who turns out to be the prince of the cat people from another world. He's very pretty but also very clueless. It's finished but currently available for free on Webtoons.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
My (current) favorite romance webtoon is not available in English in any capacity, sadly.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Everything Burrito posted:

It's probably worth going ahead and registering an account -- a lot of the sites do daily unlocks where you can read 1 chapter for free or will give you tokens for logging in daily you can use to temporarily unlock chapters so it's not a requirement to spend actual money. If you do buy coins/tokens/points, you're basically just exchanging some cash into whatever the site's currency is and then you unlock chapters permanently with that. One benefit to unlocking permanently is you generally retain access even if they lose the license to distribute that comic.

Webtoon artists feel the results of piracy pretty deeply and I've seen several post that they are quitting or cancelling planned story expansions because seeing their work uploaded everywhere and not earning anything on it is so demoralizing, so I do encourage folks to read via legal channels whenever possible.

Quoting because this deserves to be in more than one page.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
My biggest complaint about webtoons official releases is how many series are heavily behind with a ton of fast pass chapters available when all of those have fan translations too. Like viral hit has 10 chapters available via fast pass compared to the usual 3

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I started reading Eleceed after people mentioned it earlier. It's fun! And I'm a crazy cat person like Jiwoo. My only complaint is they really don't need to go out of their way to show the MC blushing with glossy lips and all. I get that it's for the BL crowd but it feels strangely out of place in a manwha about action and cats.

Then again I haven't read any other BL stories, so I don't know how often they involve superpowered fighting and cats so perhaps it's more commonplace than I thought.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
.....what made you think it was for the BL crowd?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mulva posted:

there certainly are a lot of pretty boys in it

but also pretty girls

generally everyone is pretty

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Mulva posted:

Cuz this is how the MC keeps getting depicted

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yes, that is the boy. He is a soft, blushing creature of infinite violence.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Well, BL or not I'm hooked because of the cats. The action and violence is the icing on the cake, the real appeal is watching goddamn everyone go nuts over the cats. Seeing a badass, superpowered warrior who was bleeding from two dozen cuts all over his body is well and good but one chapter later the same warrior googling the best cat treats in an effort to win over the scarred grey kitty is the real appeal of the series to me.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

khy posted:

Well, BL or not I'm hooked because of the cats. The action and violence is the icing on the cake, the real appeal is watching goddamn everyone go nuts over the cats. Seeing a badass, superpowered warrior who was bleeding from two dozen cuts all over his body is well and good but one chapter later the same warrior googling the best cat treats in an effort to win over the scarred grey kitty is the real appeal of the series to me.

Big same. The leaders assistant fawning over the fat cat early in was hilarious.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

on the thread recommendation i ended up reading eleceed and teenage mercenary. Anyone got other recommendations like those? my current webtoon subscribed list is ToG, GoHS, the gamer, the boxer, weak hero, unordinary, kubera, hardcore levelling warrior and viral hit. I read most of Dice but I got a bit burned out and cba finishing it

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Jose posted:

on the thread recommendation i ended up reading eleceed and teenage mercenary. Anyone got other recommendations like those? my current webtoon subscribed list is ToG, GoHS, the gamer, the boxer, weak hero, unordinary, kubera, hardcore levelling warrior and viral hit. I read most of Dice but I got a bit burned out and cba finishing it

doesn't really fit the thread I guess but if you're open to anything on webtoon, shiloh's good

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

yeah mostly after stuff on webtoons that ideally is released tuesday/saturday/sunday so I have toilet reading lol

i've worked my way through tomb raider king on regular scan sites that I enjoy mostly because the main character is a huge dick to everyone constantly. i'm not sure what specifically makes something an isekai but it starts with the main character dying and resurrecting a few years prior to when he died with all the knowledge of the magical relics the tombs contain and getting revenge

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Omniscient Reader is on Webtoon, check that out if you haven't. I've read a little bit of Return of the Blossoming Blade and it was pretty fun (been meaning to get back to it). Also it's older and idk if it's still fully free to read but I liked S.I.D.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
regardless of whether or not s.i.d. is free to read, the translation was dropped. also, the translation ends on a huge cliffhanger.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

regardless of whether or not s.i.d. is free to read, the translation was dropped. also, the translation ends on a huge cliffhanger.

ah bummer, I never finished it. I lost my spot and never got around to figuring out where I'd left off. It just says "series finale" on the last episode so I just thought it was done (does appear to still be free to read though)

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Jan 9, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's not actually the series finale and there were a couple of terrible mtl chapters someone randomly released afterward. i rather doubt anyone will scanlate the rest.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jose posted:

If you want another recommendation that's, uh, sorta peak-Naver, then try "To Not Die."

https://www.webtoons.com/en/drama/to-not-die/list?title_no=3787

It's about a high school kid who gets bullied and eventually runs away from home and hangs out with a family or runaways.

The MC starts out weak like V-Hit but his fighting lessons are a lot more hands-on and brutal, and it's not just "use this newly learned technique to win" cause the MC here plays a lot dirtier. It's only like 3 chapters out in Webtoons so far but has almost 40 chapters on Naver Webtoons and it was fun enough that I eventually gave in and started fastpassin' like 20 chapters in.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

So in Eleceed they often feed cats pureed treats from tubes, but I couldn't find any of those locally and so I bought some online for my cat to see how she'd react. She loved the absolute poo poo out of it. Now I have a new treat to order in thanks to manwha.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

khy posted:

So in Eleceed they often feed cats pureed treats from tubes, but I couldn't find any of those locally and so I bought some online for my cat to see how she'd react. She loved the absolute poo poo out of it. Now I have a new treat to order in thanks to manwha.

My wife get some of these a while back to feed pills to an especially finicky cat. They have a really strong odour which I guess makes the cats go nuts.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my cats also love the tubes of chicken goo.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Since I am drat near as obsessive about my cat as Jiwoo finding out about these tubes of smelly chicken goop is a nice little bonus to an already fun webtoon. I can already tell I'm going to probably turn this into a daily treat.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I saw them in cat videos on YouTube all the time, and I was surprised to find out they're actually Japanese products.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i dunno, my grocery store has a domestic version.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, the first maker was a Japanese company, is what I mean.

https://www.inabafoods.com/collections/churu-puree

I think all the Korean cat videos I watch refer to them by this specific brand. Could be a Kleenex thing, I guess, where the brand name itself is just treated as the generic name.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

ZeusCannon posted:

Anyone got any good Korean Romance ones they recommend? Something about the Korean ones appeals to me generally.

Also Manwha is.... Korean? Manhua is Chinese?
Just cause i can never remember.

Edit: Also aware the last few discussions have been mostly more action focused stuff so if this isnt the thread to ask apologies and ill shuffle off.

I rather like My Cute Beast and Crush of a Lifetime, they're sweet.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Well, the first maker was a Japanese company, is what I mean.

https://www.inabafoods.com/collections/churu-puree

I think all the Korean cat videos I watch refer to them by this specific brand. Could be a Kleenex thing, I guess, where the brand name itself is just treated as the generic name.

That's the brand I got from amazon and my cat loving went nuts for it so hooray for webtoons showing me cool new poo poo that I didn't know about before.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Where the hell is The Breaker Part 3? Thought it started this month.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Grouchio posted:

Where the hell is The Breaker Part 3? Thought it started this month.

It looks like it got pushed back to Feb and... oh dear... may be pushed back even further because of rewrites.

Well, crap.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.
Bring back Veritas instead

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Reiche posted:

Bring back Veritas instead

Everything the author has done since has either sucked or flamed out pretty fast yeah? I haven't gone looking in a while.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

khy posted:

That's the brand I got from amazon and my cat loving went nuts for it so hooray for webtoons showing me cool new poo poo that I didn't know about before.

It's good to know that there is some irl truth to it as a person who is allergic to cats but still likes them

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Lmao that last ending of Hero Killer

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i fuckin' love these looks into her head. i guess she only cares about murdering at all because for her it counts as stealing and she loves to steal.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I just binged Hero Killer and it's great, one of the better manwha I've encountered, I think. The first that's made me go for the fastpass, too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

It's grown on me for sure.

I didn't think I'd like it but Get Schooled is more interesting than the base premise started and I think the author realized pretty quickly to run with a more popular side character over the MC early on.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I was reading some webtoon a couple days ago that was like a significantly worse version of Solo Leveling (called "Lone Spellcaster" I believe).

It's amusing how quickly this one managed to go full "infantile power fantasy." Usually the period before the protagonist becomes ridiculously powerful lasts longer, but this guy immediately went from "grinding up these basic spells is kind of tough" to "heh, you can do nothing against my shield that blocks everything" (while all the jealous haters and excited women look on)

It also has the amusing plot element of the "dungeons/monsters appearing in real life" scenario resembling an MMO that apparently only this one guy played a lot. Like he recognizes the monsters being from the game and takes advantage of their weakness, and I guess you're just supposed to assume that literally no one else has made the connection that the monsters popping up everywhere are from this MMO.

Probably the most generic example of this sub-genre that I've encountered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Oh, so this is where discussion about Eleceed happens, huh? Makes sense.
I will never stop being amused at them boys being so pretty readers just assume it's BL.