Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

uniball posted:

(including PrototypeTrousers, who has made a really great fork of AE2 with a bunch of features and improvements over the now-EOL 1.12 mainline AE2)

Oh poo poo I didn't know about this. Throwing it into my pack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
tfw you're 60% through a modpack and realize it's being carried by Nazis.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Oh poo poo I didn't know about this. Throwing it into my pack.

It just hit curseforge too, literally yesterday, so good timing. It's needed to be manually approved for each update of packs until now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

I haven't played Omnifactory, but apparently those AE2 improvements are legit. Some of them got backported into GTNH's 1.7.10 fork of AE2, even.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

tfw you're 60% through a modpack and realize it's being carried by Nazis.

did you even read the thread though

Khorne
May 1, 2002
tfw you don't have enough time to play modded minecraft and a bunch of other cool games you want to play :(

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

dragonshardz posted:

did you even read the thread though

TBH no (if you mean their Discord). I was going to pinch my nose and look tonight--if that is even possible--and see how everything settled. If the original crew is back and maintaining then fine, I guess.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

try reading this thread, the one we are posting in, again. there is a pretty good summary like three posts from the bottom of the last page

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Sorry yeah it sounded less settled the first time I read it so I was going to see what was up on Discord. I should probably do that anyways since it just kind of sits there on my other screen, being ignored most of the time.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Khorne posted:

tfw you don't have enough time to play modded minecraft and a bunch of other cool games you want to play :(

Yeah. Since I rediscovered Omnifactory last summer everything else is on hold more or less. I’m rocketing through the ev -> iv -> LuV pipeline for the second time and after 16d played I’m almost back to the furthest I’ve been (asslines). The dev branch was in a really good place when I stopped updating.

Anyone try copying their Omnifactory dev world to the latest Nomifactory snapshot? I don’t even want to try that until I hear success stories from braver souls than me.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Lordshmee posted:

Anyone try copying their Omnifactory dev world to the latest Nomifactory snapshot? I don’t even want to try that until I hear success stories from braver souls than me.

yeah it's the same codebase, just with continued development. PAE2 has 4x4 pattern terminals now! i went from omnifactory dev 2dd8f8a to nomifactory 5d0a409 with no issues (other than all the annoying hand-migration of config files etc)

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Are there good guides anywhere for automating magic mods? I need to automate Botania and Thaumcraft and I'm totally lost on how to begin autocrafting with the infusion matrix or the altar (using AE2 in 1.12).

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

BurritoJustice posted:

Are there good guides anywhere for automating magic mods? I need to automate Botania and Thaumcraft and I'm totally lost on how to begin autocrafting with the infusion matrix or the altar (using AE2 in 1.12).

For the Thaumcraft infusion altar, you'll probably need addon mods, if they even exist for 1.12. Thaumcraft infusion is pretty hostile to automation in general.

For Botania it's much easier, because the entire purpose of the mod is to be automated. Using a comparator on the runic altar will give different signals depending on its status:

quote:

Additionally, an attached Comparator will emit signal strength 1 if the altar is accepting Mana, and signal strength 2 if it's ready to craft the rune.

You can put a wand of the forest in a vanilla dispenser and activate it to right click whatever the dispenser is facing.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
I would like to play a modpack with a friend, Better Minecraft for Fabric, but I've heard that using the "Open to Lan" option is not recommended for mods. No one can tell me exactly why though and I'm a little skeptical since the modpack advertises server hosting right in the main menu and everything. Is this a common issue with mods or what?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Det_no posted:

I would like to play a modpack with a friend, Better Minecraft for Fabric, but I've heard that using the "Open to Lan" option is not recommended for mods. No one can tell me exactly why though and I'm a little skeptical since the modpack advertises server hosting right in the main menu and everything. Is this a common issue with mods or what?

For what it’s worth I believe the advice they’re trying to give you is to run the server separately as that generally is supposed to result in better performance even in single player sometimes, to say nothing of actual multiplayer. You can run the server on your own computer, and I did for a SevTech game myself and a friend played, but it’s better to run the server instance as a separate executable than use the Open To LAN function, as I understand.

uniball
Oct 10, 2003

Det_no posted:

i don’t know the actual symptoms or causes, but i’ve seen pack devs that are definitely not trying to sell Gamer Hosting say that they’ve observed Open-to-LAN causing weird problems in large mod packs. just use the dedicated server

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.

BlondRobin posted:

For what it’s worth I believe the advice they’re trying to give you is to run the server separately as that generally is supposed to result in better performance even in single player sometimes, to say nothing of actual multiplayer. You can run the server on your own computer, and I did for a SevTech game myself and a friend played, but it’s better to run the server instance as a separate executable than use the Open To LAN function, as I understand.

Is there a guide or quick How To for running a server instance on the same computer?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Dremcon posted:

Is there a guide or quick How To for running a server instance on the same computer?

Most modpacks offer a 'server file' somewhere on the download page. You download it, maybe set it up the way they recommend, and you're done.

Dremcon
Sep 25, 2007
No, not a convention.
Ah, I just figured that was for a server setup with Spigot or something. Not that I know what that is for. Thanks, I’ll give it a shot.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A 'server' download is literally just everything packaged up with a Forge install so you don't need to do that stuff yourself.

Also! If anyone would like to test the alpha of my modpack and give some feedback. Just download the zip and import it with GDL/MultiMC/ATL/whatever. Any thoughts on what's good/bad, what you find frustrating etc will be welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OOvSK4iR6HSPSqXfwbZNFm24fryve8se/view?usp=sharing

Note that I'm testing out a complete rebuild of the station (though not the domes) to make it more interesting/cool/suited for what I wanna do.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

A 'server' download is literally just everything packaged up with a Forge install so you don't need to do that stuff yourself.

Also! If anyone would like to test the alpha of my modpack and give some feedback. Just download the zip and import it with GDL/MultiMC/ATL/whatever. Any thoughts on what's good/bad, what you find frustrating etc will be welcome.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1OOvSK4iR6HSPSqXfwbZNFm24fryve8se/view?usp=sharing

Note that I'm testing out a complete rebuild of the station (though not the domes) to make it more interesting/cool/suited for what I wanna do.

I have absolutely no luck with Multimc and the like. GDL just sat at "Mods loaded 0%" and Multimc threw this up at me when I tried to play.

Am I doing this incorrectly? I figured I just had to use the import .zip file option with the file you gave.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully
GDL has been acting up on me recently as well, I think it's their issue. I might have to go back to MultiMC at this rate

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Black Pants posted:

I did download and ran into the same issue(using multiMC) , but telling it to load anyway seems to have worked fine, I didn't see anything that looked broken that wasn't supposed to look broken at any rate.

All I've done so far is wander around, I did fine a couple of "secrets" and my way to engineering.

I can't say I love the gravity controls much, though I haven't played much with galacticraft in the past.

All in all for the 10 or so minutes I ran around I have to say you build some cool poo poo.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

ok, I did what immoral did and ignored the error and have played some. The gravity is pretty weird to get used to, sometimes you build up really high amounts of momentum seemingly out of nowhere, sometimes spacebar lightly lifts you off the ground, others you superman jump into the celling. Also a bit confused on quests, I picked up something in the lower decks and was informed I finished a quest, but I have no idea how to view my quests.

Depends
May 6, 2006
no.
GDL worked fine for me to import the zip, it did hesitate about 30 seconds at 0% before it started grabbing the mods and I had the error about missing entries when I created the world but ignored it and everything seemed to function. It was late so I just wandered around a bit and pulled some random things from containers but the little grapple gun is fun in no gravity.
Nice work on the station.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Okay that's good feedback. I'll need to let the player know to open their quests with a keybind - by default it's ` but that might need to have other stuff rebound off of it. Check out the Key Wizard button in the controls menu. Sorry about that being unclear! And yeah ignore the Rustic thing apparently I removed the mod after saving the world and forgot to re-save.

And yeah I was really wondering how people would handle the gravity. It takes some getting used to though I found it quite fun to play with after a while. But if it just puts people off I can place the station in a different space dimension that would have lower gravity but not zero heh.

edit: I added a questbook thingy.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Jan 30, 2022

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Black Pants posted:

Okay that's good feedback. I'll need to let the player know to open their quests with a keybind - by default it's ` but that might need to have other stuff rebound off of it. Check out the Key Wizard button in the controls menu. Sorry about that being unclear! And yeah ignore the Rustic thing apparently I removed the mod after saving the world and forgot to re-save.

And yeah I was really wondering how people would handle the gravity. It takes some getting used to though I found it quite fun to play with after a while. But if it just puts people off I can place the station in a different space dimension that would have lower gravity but not zero heh.

edit: I added a questbook thingy.

Can you just clone the modpack for other gravity or just make it an option

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Can you just clone the modpack for other gravity or just make it an option

The gravity isn't something that can be toggled. It's a property of the dimension. And moving it to a different dimension means other problems to solve, like how the asteroid field dimension is perpetually dark, no day/night cycle.

I've gone back to trying to make Advanced Rocketry work. Maybe if I make smaller sealed spaces the problem I was having will go away.

Ash Rose posted:

The thing that is on the ` key is vein mining btw.

Oh right I always switch that to something else first thing.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Jan 30, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Ash Rose posted:

Since I rarely play on servers of any real size, I always set the quest book to tab.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
if I have 4 quests have I found all of them? the second main one makes it seem like I have to go do a thing to unlock more but there doesn't seem to be anything after it.

I like the spaces on the station, a lot of them are real cozy. there could be some better lighting in the corridors though, kinda straining to see anything. Are we supposed to/allowed to grab anything we see?

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jan 30, 2022

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Also uh, kinda a big one, if you try to use any of the beds they explode like you are in the nether???

edit: I have found more quests by wandering around again, I would have found them earlier if I had figured out how to pen the quest book.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Jan 30, 2022

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
For gently caress sake Perfect Spawn why have a 'enable this to be able to sleep in this dimension' setting if you're not even going to work...

Anyway the cryopods act as beds. I'll make that clear somehow.

But yeah I wanted to try a sort of unique way of unlocking quests by having the player go stare at poo poo around the station. Basically the quest triggers are to walk up to the closed off blast door thing on the living deck, and then in any order: walk to the destroyed section of the observation ring, walk to the destroyed part of the engineering deck, and walk up to each of the domes - oh and also find the blood altar and then things go on relatively normal from there.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Black Pants posted:

For gently caress sake Perfect Spawn why have a 'enable this to be able to sleep in this dimension' setting if you're not even going to work...

Anyway the cryopods act as beds. I'll make that clear somehow.

But yeah I wanted to try a sort of unique way of unlocking quests by having the player go stare at poo poo around the station. Basically the quest triggers are to walk up to the closed off blast door thing on the living deck, and then in any order: walk to the destroyed section of the observation ring, walk to the destroyed part of the engineering deck, and walk up to each of the domes - oh and also find the blood altar and then things go on relatively normal from there.

Yeah, I have found those now.

The roadblock I am at now is Industrial hemp seeds, it either has an abysmally low droprate or just Does Not Drop from grass, I have used over a stack of bonemeal and have flowers and potato seeds coming out of my ears.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
They definitely drop. That's shockingly bad RNG though, drat. Okay I'll fix that.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
Just gonna cheat some in at this point

(The wheat seeds are all planted)

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I've made some progress, at this point it seems I should be able to make my own O2 and pressurize spaces, but I really am not sure how I am supposed to get oxygen from the collector to the sealer.

edit: looks like fluid pipes? now just running into issues of it saying spaces are too big/unsealed and I have no idea what dimensions are 'too big' and what constitutes a proper seal.

Ash Rose fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jan 31, 2022

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Man, the amount of work happening to the 1.7.10 NEI version in GTNH is crazy.

Just about the only thing missing is the search tree style searching from JEI.

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

So I'm part of a team getting a server ready on 1.12.2 (because Flan's), and we're having some spawn protection problems. We're trying to prevent pvp and spawn griefing in the spawn zone between luckperms and worldguard, but even with pvp set to deny to our permissions group in LuckPerms, we're still able to kill each other. We can't kill mobs or break/place blocks, as is intended, and invincible is supposed to be on for the region, but we're still having trouble with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadragul
Feb 17, 2020

Patently Ridiculous

Black Pants posted:

I played around for a bit today.

A few bits of feedback:
The location of the pure daisy was not clear from the quest text. I looked all over the station and domes for probably 15 minutes before finding it in the back of the dried out plains dome.
My lack of familiarity with Galacticraft means that I don't know how to set up an oxygen bubble/sealed dome. A quick quest line showing how to set it up would be appreciated. Not knowing how to use it, combined with the wasted search time above, caused me to run through all 4 oxygen tanks that were in the cryochamber room before getting a way to replenish the oxygen tanks.
Also, I accidentally placed down the oxygen compressor, and there's no access to a pickaxe until later, I assume after finding the pure daisy.
Not sure if intended, but digging up dirt from the dried out plains dome with ore excavator is incredibly easy as a single excavation nets a full stack of blocks. You may want to look at lowering the upper limit of the number of blocks for the excavation in the configuration files.