Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
AITA for ordering fried pork intestine at a Chinese restaurant my GF took me to?

quote:

Me (24M) and my girlfriend (23F) of two years went out to an asian restaurant yesterday. I’m a white guy, she’s asian, and she had been saying all before we went how I shouldn’t be afraid to try the real Chinese food that they have there, and I kept saying I was looking forward to it because I love trying new things, but every time I said that she just raised an eyebrow and went “we’ll see…”

Well we got there and the menu was in Mandarin with English subtitles and they had all kinds of things on it I’d never even imagined. It looked awesome. I ordered jellyfish tentacles over vinegar as an appetizer and she just went “okay, I get it, ha ha, ordering the weirdest thing on the menu just to prove me wrong.” And she like…wouldn’t believe me when I really enjoyed the dish. She tried some and just went “whoa, oh my god, there’s no way you like that” and I just went “well would you like to come take a seat inside my brain so you can tell for sure?” And she just rolled her eyes. I ordered the fried pork intestine, I’ve had tripe and I liked that so I figured this would be cool, and the waiter was trying to discourage me from ordering it because he didn’t think I would like it. As soon as he said that my girlfriend just pounced and was like “yeah no he wouldn’t like that, don’t order that, order something you would like, order fried rice or something” and I was like “No, I want to try fried pork intestine, and I’m ordering fried pork intestine. I am not here to try fried rice, you can get that anywhere. I’m here for something I can’t get anywhere else.” And the waiter just cautiously took down the order, and GF was like “well..you didn’t have to be like that.” I didn’t even raise my voice.

So I finally get the pork intestine, one of the chefs pokes his head out of the kitchen to watch me eat it, and it was incredible. I asked my GF if she wanted any, she made a weird face and said “no, obviously, you went and ordered the grossest thing possible just to make a point.” and accused me of being passive-aggressive. I ate it all and wished there was more and all the way home she was saying how I’m passive-aggressive and she can’t believe I did what I did, and when we got home I just said “Look, I can’t believe you’re upset that I ordered food from a place you took me to, and you’re even more upset that I liked it.” She said “If you’re gonna be like this about my culture, then you are never meeting my parents.” I mean, idk, maybe I was being passive-aggressive and just didn’t realize it, people can be passive-aggressive unconsciously right? I thought I was ordering what interested me and eating food I enjoyed, and I’m probably gonna go back to that place without her because the food was straight up fire, but maybe I should have ordered something “less asian” so it doesn’t look like I’m bragging about how I can handle asian food, idk. Sometimes I feel like she should just be with an asian guy so she can be with someone she believes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

therobit posted:

The correct response is always to hand them a paper cup and say, “If you’re gonna spew, spew in this.”

I was once the designated driver for some friends who went on a very boozy date night, and halfway home, one of them declared that he was getting queasy. He pulled a take-out cup from under the seat (not classy, I know, but fortunate in this case) and took the world's most decorous drunk puke into it: nothing but net, nothing on the upholstery. We pulled over to throw the cup in a dumpster, and that was that! It was some kind of drunk vomit miracle.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA for ordering fried pork intestine at a Chinese restaurant my GF took me to?

Was she trying to do some WHITE DUDE REACTS TO CHINESE FOOD ON TIKTOK prank that went tremendously wrong?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

As someone who also likes to order the weirdest thing on the menu, NTA. But if he already likes tripe then the jellyfish and intestine aren't a big stretch at all, they have similar textures. I'd much rather eat jellyfish than tripe though.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Oh, never mind, I think I see the problem:

quote:

This isn’t the first time something like this has come up, she was sure I’d hate anime and Korean shows because I’d never watched it before I dated her, and there are times where she’s convinced I’m putting on an act to be, in her words, “the totally open minded white guy.” I’ve also been careful not to enjoy something too much because I’m afraid of her thinking I’m fetishizing her or her culture.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
Things like that can be an acquired taste, but if you've acquired it by all means enjoy it.
Also, chitlins exist and aren't bad.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allan Pwned posted:

John Oliver mentions the chex game in snack games ep. It was coded by a teen i think

It's available on Steam.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/804270/Chex_Quest_HD/

Boxes of Chex Cereal had DLC codes on them for the game mid-2020 when it was re-released.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I just said “Look, I can’t believe you’re upset that I ordered food from a place you took me to, and you’re even more upset that I liked it.” She said “If you’re gonna be like this about my culture, then you are never meeting my parents.” 

I'm not sure if I can trust you to respect my culture after you wholeheartedly embraced it in a genuine way when I tested you. This somehow makes sense in my mind.

I can imagine this guy meeting her parents, eating whatever food is put in front of him, being respectful and courteous to her parents, and after they give him a hug good bye saying they enjoyed his company she EXPLODES on him in the car for ruining the experience by being passive aggressive towards her parents all night.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah I've met people like that, my friend dated a girl just like her. She was white but it was a huge point of pride that she wasn't like the other whites, she liked weird exotic foods all you YT mayo eaters couldn't imagine. Her favourite show? Oh it's a real niche anime that never became popular in the west.

She grew up in a lovely small town so maybe "liking basic-bitch sushi" was exotic, but I remember her getting all huffy the first time I properly met her at a japanese restaurant. When people arrived she was in the whole "tour guide" mode where she was trying to explain sushi and japanese culture 101 to everyone and telling them there's lots of cooked options too if raw fish isn't their thing. She deflated and sulked after most people ordered big sashimi plates of all sorts of stuff and she ended up with a california roll and some deep fried prawns.

So many people wrap their entire self worth and identity around lovely stereotypes and assigned or assumed roles and get really mad when people don't play their part. The white person who can eat foreign food, the non-golden child that ends up the most successful, the younger sister who has the first grandchild, the woman who knows more about a technical subject than a man, anyone who strays from their assigned lane. They always take it as a personal slight, an attack on their identity and ego.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Boba Pearl posted:

My mind tells me no, but the palpable aura around your post tells me yes.

My [33F] family is extremely upset I don't want to go out with my SIL [30F] anymore. Last time we did we agreed to not buy our kids anything except a movie ticket and lunch. She went against that and bought her kids an Nintendo switch with 6 games.

I can only assume this is CA or AUS because of the $500 price tag on the switch and $80 tag on the games, plus "EB Games" has been gamestop since I was a high schooler.

Stepping to the issue at hand, my feeling is that SIL was definitely trying to dunk on OP. I wonder if SIL is Ex's sister, might explain something?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They've been dating for two years and he hasn't met her parents - if I had to guess, she's desperately trying to find an excuse to break up and is upset "you insulted my culture's food" wouldn't be on the docket.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah I've met people like that, my friend dated a girl just like her. She was white but it was a huge point of pride that she wasn't like the other whites, she liked weird exotic foods all you YT mayo eaters couldn't imagine. Her favourite show? Oh it's a real niche anime that never became popular in the west.

She grew up in a lovely small town so maybe "liking basic-bitch sushi" was exotic, but I remember her getting all huffy the first time I properly met her at a japanese restaurant. When people arrived she was in the whole "tour guide" mode where she was trying to explain sushi and japanese culture 101 to everyone and telling them there's lots of cooked options too if raw fish isn't their thing. She deflated and sulked after most people ordered big sashimi plates of all sorts of stuff and she ended up with a california roll and some deep fried prawns.

you're not gonna make friends in this thread with a post like that buddy

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

hawowanlawow posted:

you're not gonna make friends in this thread with a post like that buddy

Don’t come to this thread to make friends

come here to make family. A family that you’ve been disowned from, as you can see in this post.

teen witch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 24, 2022

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Boba Pearl posted:

e2: I actually don't know the rules, but GBS you can just talk about whatever right? I'm not de-railing the thread?

As a general rule, people who are into old technology can’t help but talk about it, now let me tell you all about my vintage Commodore and Amiga collection

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Midnight Voyager posted:

Oh, never mind, I think I see the problem:

A white guy who likes anime? This one must be a creative writing exercise.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
AITA for telling my daughter she can't use her college money on her bf, which caused her to break up with him?

Paragraph breaks added

quote:

I know that the title paints me as the total AH, but please hear me out. My (47f) daughter Sara (18f) is a very smart girl. She has a 4.0 GPA, she's valedictorian of her class, and she's just gotten word from her dream college that she has received a full ride scholarship. We have a college fund for her of about 250,000. When we found out about the scholarship, we agreed that we would still give her the money to pay for other things that she would need in college, such as housing, food, etc.

Well she came home yesterday kind of sad. I asked her what was the matter. She said that she was not going to go to college anymore. Apparently, her boyfriend Bryan (19m) told her not to go anymore. Some background on Bryan, his family is VERY well off, and his parents have never issued discipline on this child. I mean, he is very rude and disrespectful, and although he seems sweet to my daughter when they are alone, she'll complain that whenever they're out with friends, Bryan is constantly putting her down and comparing her to Instagram models. Bryan is currently enrolled in college, but he has no set course for his future. He's just "rolling with the cards" as Sara says. Some other background info is that my daughter is going to school for marine biology.

Well, with what my daughter told me about their conversation, She was telling Bryan about her full ride scholarship, and how excited she was to finally go to school for marine biology (he's never supported her dream of being a marine biologist and has always told her to go to college for a "REAL" job) when he sat her down and told her to not go to college at all. He told her to wait for him here in our town, and don't worry about getting a job even, because his parents will support her, and that he didn't feel comfortable with her going to college out of state and so far away. He also said that it made him feel unmanly when she has a set course for her future which will give her a good life, while he has none.

After she told me what was going on, I didn't make a decision right away, but I knew that I wasn't going to just let my daughter throw away her future like this. She then asked me for her college fund so she could help support Bryan's dreams(?) So I took time to think, and I sat her down today. I told her that she can not have her college fund to spend on Bryan. She started freaking out asking why and it was her money, and I asked her to listen. I asked her if she actually could see a serious future with Bryan in it. She said nothing the first time, and then started crying. I asked her again more gently this time, and she admitted no while still crying. I pleaded with her to please not throw away her future for someone who she can't see herself having a life with. She then nodded and went up to her room for some time to think.

From what I've learned, she broke it off with Bryan and he has been calling nom stop, crying and begging to speak to her. I feel very guilty, and sort of like an AH. Am I?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

The Glumslinger posted:

AITA for telling my daughter she can't use her college money on her bf, which caused her to break up with him?

Paragraph breaks added

she'll get over it

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sisal Two-Step posted:

"All the girls say I'm pretty fly for a white guy"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Cacator posted:

As someone who also likes to order the weirdest thing on the menu, NTA. But if he already likes tripe then the jellyfish and intestine aren't a big stretch at all, they have similar textures. I'd much rather eat jellyfish than tripe though.
If I went into a restaurant and saw jellyfish on the menu you better believe I'd be ordering that. It never occurred to me you could eat jellyfish and now I really really want to eat jellyfish.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kurieg posted:

My mom always tried to find the secret 2nd brake pedal in the passenger seat footwell. She never could figure out why I preferred having my dad teach me.

She's fine now though that might be because there was a good 7+ year gap between "I got my license" and "I was in a position where I needed to drive my family around."

My dad had spent so long in the driver's seat that his brain insisted there was a couple of feet of car to his right that was barely missing everything when I drove. I still instinctively drive like I have an extra large vehicle footprint because of stuff like that (also because my old Legacy was a boat).

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Motronic posted:

AITA for telling my daughter that I will never let her drive me anywhere in her life?

Wtf is up with this dude and his baby factory wife?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

They've been dating for two years and he hasn't met her parents - if I had to guess, she's desperately trying to find an excuse to break up and is upset "you insulted my culture's food" wouldn't be on the docket.
yeah pretty strange that someone hasn't met someone else in person in the last 2 years, something must have happened :thunk:

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jan 25, 2022

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Antivehicular posted:

I was once the designated driver for some friends who went on a very boozy date night, and halfway home, one of them declared that he was getting queasy. He pulled a take-out cup from under the seat (not classy, I know, but fortunate in this case) and took the world's most decorous drunk puke into it: nothing but net, nothing on the upholstery. We pulled over to throw the cup in a dumpster, and that was that! It was some kind of drunk vomit miracle.

I was driving down the freeway once and my kid said he felt queasy and when I asked if it could wait until the next exit, he picked up his happy meal container and puked right into it, no miss, no mess. I was impressed, and the happy meal exited the car in the exact container it entered the car, albeit in a slightly altered form.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Honestly the "I'm not like other white people" thing does exist (and I'll fully admit to being guilty of it) and generally it's well meaning and comes from a place of respect, but it's pretty easy to overdo it.

The whole post the guy's laying it on pret-ty thick, ordering two of the weirdest things on the menu and pretending like it never even crossed his mind that he might be showing off a tiny bit and going on and on about how the waitress and the chefs and no one in the whole place could even believe he would eat this stuff.

But then again it also sounds like his girlfriend was kind of asking for it, and sometimes you get what you ask for.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think the problem with fried intestine guy is that he immediately jumped to the "grossest" "weirdest" thing on the menu. She may have had an idea of of something she wanted to introduce him to that, to her, represents the culture she's from and tripe wasn't it. Maybe he just genuinely likes that sort of food and wanted to sample the Chinese take on it, but I'm getting a "Chinese food is weird and the weirder it is the more Chinese it is" vibe here.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
i also get a "then everybody in the restaurant clapped" vibe from his story.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for removing my sister from the bridal party because she won't wear the bridesmaids dress?

quote:

My fiance (28M) and I (26F) are getting married in late August, and the planning is going great.

I asked my sister (24F) to be one of my bridesmaids, since we have always been very close. However, a couple of weeks ago, I had to ask her to leave the bridal party.

The dress I selected for my bridesmaids is very summery: pink, strapless, and knee-length. However, a few years ago, my sister converted to a very conservative church, and her new church has very strict modesty rules that do not allow her to show her arms, legs, or any of her chest or back.

We argued over the bridesmaid dress, with her offering to wear leggings under the dress and have the top altered or wear a cardigan. I said no, as this would look very strange in my bridal party photos, and since she refused to wear the original dress, I asked her to leave the bridal party.

My sister has been really upset, and now she feels like she shouldn't come to the wedding at all. But at the same time, I feel like her duty as a bridesmaid is to wear what I want her to, so I had the right to ask her to leave the party.

AITA??

lol sister has been this brand of religious for years, OP definitely chose the dress on purpose knowing that her sister wouldn't be able to wear it so she could kick her out of the bridal party

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

PancakeTransmission posted:

yeah pretty strange that someone hasn't met someone else in person in the last 2 years, something must have happened :thunk:

They can go to a restaurant but can't meet her parents? :shrug:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think the problem with fried intestine guy is that he immediately jumped to the "grossest" "weirdest" thing on the menu. She may have had an idea of of something she wanted to introduce him to that, to her, represents the culture she's from and tripe wasn't it. Maybe he just genuinely likes that sort of food and wanted to sample the Chinese take on it, but I'm getting a "Chinese food is weird and the weirder it is the more Chinese it is" vibe here.

The second thing he ordered is a variation on something he already knew he liked, and she still responded like it was this outrageous performance piece.

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Sisal Two-Step posted:

I ordered something at a Vietnamese place once and the waitress asked me 3 times if I was sure and then several members of the staff watched me eat it and were very impressed that I enjoyed it. I have no idea what I ate.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

"All the restaurant employees say I'm pretty fly for a 鬼佬"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

A Bakers Cousin posted:

I ordered something at a Vietnamese place once and the waitress asked me 3 times if I was sure and then several members of the staff watched me eat it and were very impressed that I enjoyed it. I have no idea what I ate.
"He ate the allergen list?"

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I mean if he likes tripe anyway I don't see how anything he ordered is a stretch. That's the only thing that makes it seem less showoff-ish and more "just let me try some rad food already."

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Absurd Alhazred posted:

The second thing he ordered is a variation on something he already knew he liked, and she still responded like it was this outrageous performance piece.

In fact, the gelatinous texture he likes is a common thread in Chinese food -- the jellyfish tentacles he already liked, pig ears, thousand year old eggs, tofu, pork trotters, tripe. She's should appreciate he's already dug into this vein of food.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Mx. posted:

AITA for removing my sister from the bridal party because she won't wear the bridesmaids dress?

lol sister has been this brand of religious for years, OP definitely chose the dress on purpose knowing that her sister wouldn't be able to wear it so she could kick her out of the bridal party

I mean, you shouldn't plan your wedding around the cult your sister is in.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

The Lone Badger posted:

At one point in my life I was sitting on the toilet blasting out my rear end and leaning forward so I could simultaneously vomit into the sink.

Ah the ol’ double-ender.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for just liking my coffee the way I like it?

quote:

I live near a coffee shop that operates from a cart. They are a tiny shop with usually one person on but sometimes two.

Their cart is on the property of a restaurant, and is owned by the restaurant but slightly different, and I’m not a fan of the restaurant but the cart coffee is honestly some of the best I’ve ever tasted.

They run from 8-3 or so but it usually suits me to come around 2:50-3, but occasionally much, much earlier. Today I came just at 3 and saw the barista was still serving so I hopped in the queue, with a group of women following behind me. As she started steaming the person in front of me’s drink, she announced to the queue that they could order the coffee from the restaurant because the cafe was no longer serving past 3. Bear in mind it’s 3:01 ish and I had probably been in the queue right at 3 if not a few seconds before.

Let me preface by saying the restaurant coffee is just not good. They say it’s the same but it’s made by the waitstaff (not baristas) and it really isn’t what I’m there for. I also am very health conscious and was mindful of going into a restaurant during a pandemic just to order a coffee. The women behind me must not mind because they went into the restaurant but I figured I’d ask for my usual. The barista turned around to finish serving the person ahead of me and didn’t even look at me. Bear in mind I know her since I come here a lot. She knows my usual, always smiles and chats and I’ve even asked her for some treats as she was locking up once and she said she had wrapped them up for the night a while ago but was extremely apologetic and remembers to offer me treats every time.

When the person left she finally looked at me. I ordered my usual and she repeated “I’ll just ask you if you could order inside since I’ve gotta close up out here.” I asked if she’d make an exception since I’m covid conscious and she said just this once but seemed… off. I thanked her again for serving me and she said no worries, but as she was closing up, I was sitting in their outdoor area on my laptop and she would not look or smile at me as she usually does and was barely looking my direction even though it was like 3:05 by the time she made my order — 2 minutes later than if I hadn’t ordered.

I know what people say about going to a place at closing time but I was in the queue just in time. I think she would’ve happily made the exception for me if it weren’t for the group behind me, and only asked us all to go because there were 3 or 4 of them. And I’m just wondering if I’m missing something because she acted happy to serve me one minute but was then colder than usual.

TLDR: I asked a familiar barista if she’d serve me past close (2 minutes) because the alternative meant I’d have to go inside during a pandemic and order worse coffee. I was in the queue in the nick of time and at first she resisted but after a big “please” relented, but then seemed much colder than usual while closing as I sat nearby on my laptop.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol just lol if your girlfriend doesn't already select the grossest thing from her culture's menu to serve to you anonymously, eager to see your reaction after she actually tells you what you just ate

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

Mistake was thinking anything would be too weird for a tripe enjoyer

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Parsley posted:

Mistake was thinking anything would be too weird for a tripe enjoyer

It's pretty much just goons.

Goons are too weird.

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum

haveblue posted:

One only wonders what level of emergency will make him break this rule

If I learned anything from yesterday's posts, a date is an emergency. So I'm going to go with date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
???
If you want to get me to try anything unusual, deep frying it's a sure bet. And I am a filthy, filthy california roll lover.