Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Absolutely transparent concern trolling, like the time there was a whole page of pabulum about whether FF16 was misogynist for having a protagonist named Clive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Alxprit posted:

As far as I can tell there's only been one PLAYABLE character. Females are part of the party and story, but like pre-patch XV it seems like they're just going to be AI buddies. I haven't looked too deeply into it though, someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe you control anyone but Jackson G. Arland

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
You cannot play as any character not named Jack Garland in Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins coming to Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One, Xbox One Series X, and Steam this March 18th, 2022. All of your party members who are named Ash, Jed, Neon, and Sophia are all NPC controlled AI partners that you are allowed two of because none of these characters is named Jack Garland, who is the playable protagonist. The story is about Jack Garland and his journey in becoming the famous Final Fantasy antagonist, Garland. The story will follow Jack Garland as he kills monsters and makes friends in his journey to kill Chaos, the final boss of Final Fantasy. Jack Garland will be able to take on a number of separate classes in his journey to kill Chaos such as the Warrior class, the Dragoon class, the Thief class, and many other classic classes seen in the Final Fantasy franchise. Please consider pre-ordering Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins for the Playstation 4, Playstation 5, Xbox One, Xbox One Series X, or Steam this March 18th, 2022. However, please do not attempt to purchase Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origins for the Nintendo Switch as it is not available for that platform due to not being able to handle Jack Garland's fury.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Absolutely transparent concern trolling, like the time there was a whole page of pabulum about whether FF16 was misogynist for having a protagonist named Clive

lol

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

Jacqueline Garland

J-rock "The Cornelian Shock" Garland, from the very beating heart of Cornelia.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
If they don’t have a reference to Jack Knocking Us All Down I will walk to Square Elizabeth Enix’s office and personally poo poo on the front desk

Like come on now do your job

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Alxprit posted:

As far as I can tell there's only been one PLAYABLE character. Females are part of the party and story, but like pre-patch XV it seems like they're just going to be AI buddies. I haven't looked too deeply into it though, someone can tell me if I'm wrong.

Great, thanks, easy, I'll leave you all to it.

I'm sure he's a very good joke for people who like that, but personally I find it more painful and irritating than funny, so I was really only here for the things outside of Jack. So if I cannot be outside of Jack, I'm not interested.

Also I was giving the jokes a rest because we're just off of learning that Jack had his phone at hand for his own wedding vows, so frankly we don't need additional Jack dunks for at least a week, I couldn't even imagine he'd be that lovely.

Unrelated, but disappointed that the Sunken Shrine is apparently an underwater lab/reactor. I always liked the vibes of the Sunken Shrine, I thought it'd be really beautiful in current-gen graphics, but apparently no luck on that.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cleretic posted:

I'm sure he's a very good joke for people who like that, but personally I find it more painful and irritating than funny, so I was really only here for the things outside of Jack. So if I cannot be outside of Jack, I'm not interested.

Also I was giving the jokes a rest because we're just off of learning that Jack had his phone at hand for his own wedding vows, so frankly we don't need additional Jack dunks for at least a week, I couldn't even imagine he'd be that lovely.

Unrelated, but disappointed that the Sunken Shrine is apparently an underwater lab/reactor. I always liked the vibes of the Sunken Shrine, I thought it'd be really beautiful in current-gen graphics, but apparently no luck on that.

Cleretic posted:

Great, thanks

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Cleretic posted:

Great, thanks, easy, I'll leave you all to it.

you suck

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

The other companions are playable in co-op mode. But if you're just doing single player then yeah, restricted to Jack.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cleretic posts are the worst, because even if her posts aren't even that bad, everyone else will make bad posts in response, resulting in too many bad posts.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I would like to offer some friendly advice that it is okay not to respond to bad opinions with a flood of bad posts and attempted dunks. Sometimes you can just let things slide.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

The other companions are playable in co-op mode. But if you're just doing single player then yeah, restricted to Jack.

Wait, you can play as the other characters in co-op? I didn't even know that was a thing!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Also I think this trailer shows Jack as much more of an actual character with a range of emotions and an actual character arc likely going on than any previous trailer. I don't think he's supposed to be a joke. I mean look how much even the Dark Elf Astos seems to care about him! Much like Nioh I think this game is going to be completely sincere.

(Which also reminds me I somehow haven't played Nioh 2 yet and I really should)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

Harrow posted:

Also I think this trailer shows Jack as much more of an actual character with a range of emotions and an actual character arc likely going on than any previous trailer. I don't think he's supposed to be a joke. I mean look how much even the Dark Elf Astos seems to care about him! Much like Nioh I think this game is going to be completely sincere.

the complete sincerity is why the game will own because its committing to it and is going to play it completely straight

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wait you could play as the other characters? I thought they were there for... ya know...

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

stranger of paradise would be no where near as cool if it was self-aware and made fun of itself

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.

Harrow posted:

So Jack is in a time loop, right? Because he's Garland. That's why everyone talks about how he'll forget, and also why he's resolving not to forget.

I wonder if NG+ cycles will be contextualized in-game as part of the time loop...

This would own hard. I hope this is a thing they take from Nier.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I'm so glad I've missed so much about this game because I'm champing at the bit to play it already even know I don't actually know how the game plays

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Harrow posted:

Wait, you can play as the other characters in co-op? I didn't even know that was a thing!

Yup. Up to 3 players.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/stranger-of-paradise-trial-version-2

It's mentioned in the press release for trial version 2.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Calaveron posted:

I'm so glad I've missed so much about this game because I'm champing at the bit to play it already even know I don't actually know how the game plays

It plays like if Nioh was a Final Fantasy game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

It's Nioh except you change between Final Fantasy jobs mid-combat instead of changing stances. The demos were really fun.

You also have different gear sets for your jobs so you're changing clothes mid-fight constantly.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
I've never played Nioh nor have I seen Nioh gameplay

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Harrow posted:

This is part of why I'm excited because yeah the meme of Jack being mean angry punch man is funny, but the fact they're actually committing to a character arc and having him interact with the world shows a lot of sincerity and potential in the game's cast. The fact that Astos is being treated as a person is super cool.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

I've never played Nioh nor have I seen Nioh gameplay

"What if Dark Souls hung out with Ninja Gaiden for a while and had Diablo loot"

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i respect jack

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Harrow posted:

I would like to offer some friendly advice that it is okay not to respond to bad opinions with a flood of bad posts and attempted dunks. Sometimes you can just let things slide.

Yeah, we could do that, or you could gently caress off!!!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

stranger of paradise would be no where near as cool if it was self-aware and made fun of itself

Sincerity rules

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Harrow posted:

"What if Dark Souls hung out with Ninja Gaiden for a while and had Diablo loot"

How does that make sense, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden's gameplay is as diametrically opposite as they could possibly be. If you are fighting more than one guy at a time in DS you are fuuuuuuuucked while in Ninja Gaiden you're just mashing your buttons until you can do that suplex headpopper combo with the claws

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Calaveron posted:

How does that make sense, Dark Souls and Ninja Gaiden's gameplay is as diametrically opposite as they could possibly be. If you are fighting more than one guy at a time in DS you are fuuuuuuuucked while in Ninja Gaiden you're just mashing your buttons until you can do that suplex headpopper combo with the claws

You really oughta play Nioh, it rules

To be more specific, it has combo-based, fast-paced combat with stance switching and lots of special moves, but also Dark Souls-style stat progression and punishing "lose your EXP when you die" mechanics, and also Diablo-like loot complete with set bonuses.

Stranger of Paradise doesn't have the lose things on death part, I don't think, but is otherwise Final Fantasy Nioh (because it's developed by Team Ninja, who also developed Nioh and Ninja Gaiden)

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yeah, we could do that, or you could gently caress off!!!

the mod sass.......

Harrow fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 25, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Calaveron posted:

I don't think you're thinking of the same Ninja Gaiden as everyone else.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

mandatory lesbian posted:

Sincerity rules

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Mr. Fortitude posted:

Yup. Up to 3 players.

https://square-enix-games.com/en_GB/news/stranger-of-paradise-trial-version-2

It's mentioned in the press release for trial version 2.

Now I'm almost annoyed that I have to pay attention, because this might possibly be what I need, depending on how they actually do it. Like, is this a full co-op campaign where everyone gets the full experience at once, or is it a Dark Souls-esque 'turn up to help someone complete Mt. Gulg and then disappear once Marilith's dead'? Of course, 'is the netcode good' is also a question, far as I know this team hasn't tried that before, have they?

Of course, the fact they did this also provides some optimism they'll allow for 'Not Jack' solo play, too, like they did with FFXV (and Nioh by different roads). They've already done the intensive part of actually making them fully playable, after all.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Harrow posted:

Stranger of Paradise doesn't have the lose things on death part, I don't think, but is otherwise Final Fantasy Nioh (because it's developed by Team Ninja, who also developed Nioh and Ninja Gaiden)

You build up your maximum MP from soul charging and other abilities, and if you die, you are reset back to the baseline 2 bars until you do a corpse run

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I don't think you're thinking of the same Ninja Gaiden as everyone else.

The 3D character action game where you have a ton of horrible bladed and smashing weapons that turn enemies into uniform slurry?

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Cleretic posted:

Now I'm almost annoyed that I have to pay attention, because this might possibly be what I need, depending on how they actually do it. Like, is this a full co-op campaign where everyone gets the full experience at once, or is it a Dark Souls-esque 'turn up to help someone complete Mt. Gulg and then disappear once Marilith's dead'? Of course, 'is the netcode good' is also a question, far as I know this team hasn't tried that before, have they?

Of course, the fact they did this also provides some optimism they'll allow for 'Not Jack' solo play, too, like they did with FFXV (and Nioh by different roads). They've already done the intensive part of actually making them fully playable, after all.

nioh had co-op and it seems similar to that. in the demo you could do co-op on a per-level basis - one player is the host who gets story progression & the other two get to be the party members. no this is not an ideal system but whatever

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I have a sudden very strong urge to finally play Nioh 2 which is unfortunate because I am honor-bound to finish Yakuza 0 before Elden Ring comes out, and also still addicted to FFXIV...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jokes posted:

Are you new here? Lol

No just tired of Cleretics horseshit bad faith arguing and general dogshit posting so I just figured telling her plainly to stop would be easier than watching her start the same derail for the 12th time.

Like we already know you're not going to buy it because it'd an action game and you think those are bad Cleretic. We've had that series of posts half a dozen times and the other one you tried to stir up just now multiple times as well. We all know how you feel. Shut up if you're just gonna post the same 3 things over and over

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Interesting.

https://twitter.com/APZonerunner/status/1485749436307361798?t=OW3cGs_BOM2xLgFIUP6Y7A&s=19

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

https://youtu.be/0Q-rg3m_XyM

There's a gameplay trailer released too. Showing off job classes, skills, multiplayer and mentioning co-op specific dungeons and raids. And a fight with Odin where Jack knocks Odin off the horse, grabs the horse and throws it ontop of Odin.

This game is gonna rule.