Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice

surf rock posted:

My top 10 QBs in the league from a dynasty perspective with their age as of the start of next season:

1.) Patrick Mahomes (AFC - 26)
2.) Josh Allen (AFC - 26)
3.) Justin Herbert (AFC - 24)
4.) Joe Burrow (AFC - 25)
5.) Kyler Murray (NFC - 25)
6.) Lamar Jackson (AFC - 25)
7.) Dak Prescott (NFC - 29)
8.) Matt Stafford (NFC - 34)
9.) Derek Carr (AFC - 31)
10.) Russel Wilson (NFC - 33)

I'd have Joe Burrow at 2, honestly. The Bengals are set up nicely for a good run with Burrow, Mixon, Chase, and Higgins all being young. Joe also plays in the pocket which is a game that ages a lot better. If Cincy patches up that O-Line and keeps the defense solid, KC/Cincy will be the NE/Indy of the 2020s.

Allen will definitely have a Cam-like decline if the Bills can't get an actual RB to take some pressure off him or he doesn't start learning how to slide/go out of bounds. Yeah, the Chris Pratt looking dude trucking NFL defenders looks cool, but it's definitely a "candle that burns twice as bright" kind of thing.

When Herbert is on, he's really on, but it seems like he's slightly less consistent than the other 3. Also his team is missing more pieces and he has no home field advantage like the other 3. Maybe the last part is kind of a hot take, but with a playoff structure where one win can make a huge difference in your post-season outlook (or eligibility) I think it matters some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Allen will (eventually) lose a bit of a step in the run game but there is no reason to think he will decline like Cam. He brings so much more than Cam, and so much more than his scrambling and designed run game. He throws a rocket, strongest arm in the NFL by far, and what's incredible is that he is accurate with it. He's a fantastic passer which is sometimes a bit overshadowed by what he does on the ground but it's completely true. He's not afraid to make tough throws either and usually he throws so hard that even a defender in good position have a tough time getting a hand on it.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
There is no way you can rank Burrow above Allen and Herbert. Former has no clear advantage at all, latter are better passers with stronger arms, more mobile and can avoid sacks instead of running into them, and create more production with less talented skill players. Imagine having Tyler Boyd as your #3 receiving option

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Pron on VHS posted:

There is no way you can rank Burrow above Allen and Herbert. Former has no clear advantage at all, latter are better passers with stronger arms, more mobile and can avoid sacks instead of running into them, and create more production with less talented skill players. Imagine having Tyler Boyd as your #3 receiving option

I think you could rank all four of those guys in any order and could probably justify ant order you want. I wouldn't trade Herbert for any of those other three and I don't think Chiefs Bengals or Bills fans would either

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Pron on VHS posted:

Sounds like someone doesn't properly value Intangibles like cigar game.

Chucktesla
Jul 13, 2014

The most shook Justin Herbert has been since getting into the NFL was when he got mad at a teammate for not returning a shopping cart to the front of a store

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Pron on VHS posted:

Ty for typing this so I didn’t have to. #solidarity

a neat cape posted:

I think you could rank all four of those guys in any order and could probably justify ant order you want. I wouldn't trade Herbert for any of those other three and I don't think Chiefs Bengals or Bills fans would either

If I was the bengals, I would SNAP trade Burrow for any of the other three, at this point in their careers.

Which is wild, because Joe Burrow is good young quarterback. It’s not a slight against him but rather praise of the others.

Age is also a factor, heck, Joe is 25 and Herbie is 23.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Which means neither will happen.

https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1485770508683649024?s=20

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

Age is also a factor, heck, Joe is 25 and Herbie is 23.

I don’t think a 15 months age difference between two guys in their mid 20s is really a factor.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I don’t think a 15 months age difference between two guys in their mid 20s is really a factor.

I do. Now what???

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

why would anybody rank Kyler Murray over Lamar Jackson

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ornery and Hornery posted:

I do. Now what???

I shake my head at your dumb opinion and go on with my life.

Zurreco
Dec 27, 2004

Cutty approves.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Kyler has a working GI tract.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Mystic Stylez posted:

Because they’re stupid.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
https://twitter.com/nflstroud/status/1485767153223614471?s=21

Sure sounds like a guy who is coming back!

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

https://twitter.com/TBTimes_Bulls/status/1485752172080136193?s=20

From the same podcast

surf rock
Aug 12, 2007

We need more women in STEM, and by that, I mean skateboarding, television, esports, and magic.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Because they’re stupid.

Rude! Maybe Kawalimus doomposting just got to me?

...which would make me stupid, yeah, I get it :smith:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

I don’t think that quote really has anything to do with retirement. He’s just saying he’d rather play and lost than not play at all. If he retires it’s not going to be because he doesn’t want to lose anymore it’ll be because he has other priorities.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Lamar can have some not insignificant flaws in his game but still be in the top tier of QBs.

But Murray, maybe he never really recovered from his mid season injury but he absolutely fell off the face of the earth statistic wise.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yes that’s just a diplomatic answer to dealing with losing.

An unhinged rant would be funnier tho

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The boring answer to the mystery is he probably wants the Bucs to resign his weapons because currently only Evans is under contract and no one else. If they do he plays if not well that’s it.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Simmons made a point on last night's show:

Bill Simmons posted:

If you're in the AFC, and your QB isn't Mahomes, Herbert, Burrow, or Allen, you're screwed

This got me thinking: for the next 10-15 years 1-2 of these guys is gonna be in the AFC championship game every year, so if your AFC team is interested in competing, why would you sign a QB to a second contract if they're not at least as good as these four?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Kyler Murray lost to the Lions by a lot.
Lamar Jackson, despite his critical delay of game error at the end of the game that pushed the Ravens out of field goal range, only lost to the Lions by a little.

Lamar is better.

Ornery and Hornery
Oct 22, 2020

Fate Accomplice posted:

This got me thinking: for the next 10-15 years 1-2 of these guys is gonna be in the AFC championship game every year, so if your AFC team is interested in competing, why would you sign a QB to a second contract if they're not at least as good as these four?

The patriots won a bunch of super bowls since 2000 and over that time they only ever had like the 10th best AFC qb.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

The boring answer to the mystery is he probably wants the Bucs to resign his weapons because currently only Evans is under contract and no one else. If they do he plays if not well that’s it.

I read somewhere that he’s gonna fork over $15mil if he doesn’t play this year so there’s that too

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Fate Accomplice posted:

Jesus, I know the conference might be top heavy but it’s not the NBA where we can almost always name the top four teams of each conference before the season starts.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*
A year ago that list didn't include Burrow or Herbert. Two years ago it didn't include Allen. None of those QBs teams looked like world beaters at any point this year. And as Aaron Rodgers proved again this year, all star QBs eat poo poo in the playoffs all time.

Let's breath a minute before crowning the next perennial Super Bowl QB. Brady isn't even buried yet.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

The Puppy Bowl posted:

A year ago that list didn't include Burrow or Herbert. Two years ago it didn't include Allen. None of those QBs teams looked like world beaters at any point this year. And as Aaron Rodgers proved again this year, all star QBs eat poo poo in the playoffs all time.

Let's breath a minute before crowning the next perennial Super Bowl QB. Brady isn't even buried yet.

Come on, when have the Chargers, Bills and Bengals ever been known to fail even when things are going their way?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Come on, when have the Chargers, Bills and Bengals ever been known to fail even when things are going their way?

cmon cant i have anything nice

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
As soon as the second contracts kick in for all these AFC QBs we are gonna see how good their teams are

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

DariusLikewise posted:

As soon as the second contracts kick in for all these AFC QBs we are gonna see how good their teams are

Josh and Patrick have been pretty good

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

a neat cape posted:

Josh Allen isn’t on his second contract yet

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

a neat cape posted:

Neither one has hit the part of their extension where their cap costs really shoot up. Mahomes goes from 7.5 million this year to 35 million next and 46 in 2024. Allen goes from 10 this year to 16 next year up to 39 in 2024.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

DariusLikewise posted:

Josh Allen isn’t on his second contract yet

He is

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/josh-allen-25102/

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

That’s an extension. He’s still playing out his rookie deal until 2023.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

It’s less about the second contract itself but of the teams ability to replenish talent as other players age out or sign elsewhere. Most can’t.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

It’s less about the second contract itself but of the teams ability to replenish talent as other players age out or sign elsewhere. Most can’t.

It gets a lot harder when your QB is eating up 40 million of cap instead of 15 million

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

That's why you need to bundle your amazingly low contracts with book deals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

He's gonna play until he no longer physically keep up with a full game. Then that loss will take a big toll on his mental health.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Fate Accomplice posted:

People need to tell me again why the Browns need to give Baker 40mil. Reading that made me need that.