Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I like to run Kindred/Open Hand/We'll Make It and to do ridiculous hook hero plays all game. 4th is either Deliverance or an Exhaustion so you have an actual ace up your sleeve. Also play Ace. Then actually pull off a Deliverance during a Twins 4 slug and save everybody, probably ruining that poor Charlotte's night.

Pebble is very fun in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
Lucky Break + Overcome + Quick & Quiet + Inner Healing.

Cleanse a totem early in the match. Afterward, as soon as the killer first hits you, run directly for the nearest locker that's out-of-sight around a corner or something and jump in. You get 4 seconds of the on-hit speed boost effect instead of 2 seconds from Overcome, your bleeding and scratch marks are turned off from Lucky Break, jumping into the locker makes no noise because of Quick & Quiet, and then Inner Healing brings you back to full inside the locker. From the killer's perspective you just loving vanish without a trace and suddenly get fully healed 8 seconds later.

Lucky Break only works with the trick once per match, so you could swap in Deception instead to pull it off repeatedly if you've got multiple lockers to play around with. I don't actually know how Quick & Quiet and Deception interact, I ought to look that up. EDIT: Ah, Q&Q only triggers when your Deception is on cooldown and you actually enter the locker, makes sense.

Alternatively, the Santa Claus build; Plunderer's Instinct + Ace in the Hole + Appraisal, and then possibly Pharmacy just for speed if you want to go all in on it. Run some coin offerings to add more chests to the match and then just run around looting all the chests before the other survivors can get to them to loot higher-rarity stuff with addons attached, then using Appraisal to rummage for 3 more items. Maybe run Bond instead of Pharmacy so you can find survivors to give your presents to.

Vanguard Warden fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jan 25, 2022

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Is it possible for a killer to be using speed hacks? Just played a game against hte bird girl and she had no perks/addons at the end screen but she was fast as poo poo. She could close the gap on me faster than I've ever seen a killer do.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's possible she had Play With Your Food and some dummy kept feeding her stacks

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Killers can hack but otherwise it's Play With Your Food or being in chase too long and Bloodlust stacking.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Lucky Break works on a timer that stops when you are downed or healed. So I've seen people use a medkit to heal and they keep the remainder until they are injured again.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

temple posted:

Lucky Break works on a timer that stops when you are downed or healed. So I've seen people use a medkit to heal and they keep the remainder until they are injured again.

Jeez, you're right. That's absurdly potent, and makes the Inner Healing gimmick even more useful as the 8-second self heal from stepping into a locker immediately off of getting hit is about as fast as you can possibly turn the timer back off.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/The_Farmer_John/status/1485101793034092544

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I don’t have a huge amount of time for the ‘MMR needs to recognise more than binary wins or losses because what if X happens in a match’ arguments because if they did have that as the system the goalposts would immediately shift to ‘why should I lose MMR just because my braindead teammates got themselves killed’. I can’t see a single system where you have perfect agency over your own performance score existing, there’s just too many overlapping factors.at least this one being purely based on your own status doesn’t encourage players to get even saltier at their own teammates

Blasmeister fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Jan 25, 2022

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

But I mean, whatever's going on right now, it really isn't working, because I'm constantly getting thrown against either babies or gamers on survivor AND killer with no real rhyme or reason of who "won" the last round. I've been keeping track of my games and I really don't see any reason why it happens.

I don't mind losing MMR on killer because high MMR survivors tend to be assholes, but it's very frustrating to play with low MMR survivors when you are very much not at their level. Like, low enough that you are guaranteed to lose against certain killers because they simply will not understand the base mechanics, like Pinhead or Plague.

I hold no illusions that I am a god gamer that can loop the killer for 5 gens or whatever, but I am asking for the most basic competence and it seems like too much an ask. :negative:

The reason that I feel like the MMR system is messed up and it's not just a matter of MMR ceilings (though I think that's part of it) is that in the past SBMM tests, I had a decent time, and Otzdarva shared an anecdotal experience of the first week or so of SBMM being really good survivors, and then gradually that petered out into basically random rear end groups with no rhyme or reason. I see survivors on his stream constantly that clearly have no business being against him with how inexperienced they are. I feel like the SBMM started out good because of pre-existing placements, but the current win/loss system is either too aggressive without a big enough skill range (killer) or doesn't really recognize actual good play (survivor).

Like, the last system wasn't perfect, but at least doing gens and doing my best could usually result in an 0 pip or safety pip. Now it's like, oops, you got NOEDed at the gate with a team that doesn't know what totems are, guess it's time for you to get an even shittier team!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Here's a video on the cosmetics removal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fLlzXlNr10

I've worked as a games journalist for 20 years and I've written harsh things about many games and publishers. None of them have ever been such pissbabies as to retaliate against me by removing poo poo from my accounts.

This really is petty beyond belief and is giving them a pretty big black eye. Well done, guys. You sure are winning over hearts and minds during a time when the game's getting rightfully called out from all sides.

e: now embedded

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jan 25, 2022

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Blasmeister posted:

I don’t have a huge amount of time for the ‘MMR needs to recognise more than binary wins or losses because what if X happens in a match’ arguments because if they did have that as the system the goalposts would immediately shift to ‘why should I lose MMR just because my braindead teammates got themselves killed’.

Well other team-based games with MMR have the same issue, and often you lose MMR because your teammates are bad. But given a large enough sample size, you'll gain more MMR than you lose. At least in my opinion it's better to push players up based on how often them and their teammates survive, rather than how well they farmed personal glory (based on largely arbitrary, irrelevant metrics) in that match

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The word "skill" is what triggers people. It doesn't measure skill and they should change the name of it.

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!
they were like 500x faster about removing cosmetics from a streamers account out of pettiness than they were about warning people about the massive security vulnerability the game had not that long ago

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

temple posted:

The word "skill" is what triggers people. It doesn't measure skill and they should change the name of it.

I often do not agree with what you say, but this would be at least something. Skill is the absolute wrong choice of words. Win based? The system doesn't give any credit for those that make the sacrifice play for their team. There's no "hero" award. Sorry Jesus, you didn't die for poo poo. You just died. Now you'll face an easier Roman army next match I guess?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I was thinking about the Chess comparison and I think it's fitting to some extent as to what's frustrating.

You have three players. Player A plays Player B, the match lasts hours until there are very few pieces left and Player B can no longer defend their King, and surrenders. The next match, Player A is able to beat Player C in 3 moves due to Player C not paying attention to where they're moving their pieces. Per DBD MMR, both Player B and Player C are identical skill.

Hell, even using the Hockey comparison you have Team A vs Team B, the game ends 2-1 with a shoot out shot to win the game. Team A vs Team C has a score of 13-0. Per MMR, Team B and Team C have the same "skill".

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah, Patrick's hockey analogy doesn't stand even a second if you think about it for a moment because points aren't the only criteria you use to rank teams. Like it's absurd in every way, but he clearly didn't think for a moment about how hockey statistics work and just went "uhhh like they don't count which team had more shots on goal or whatever lololol".

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/LeaksDbd/status/1485996428715601921?s=20

As a killer who hates Haddonfield and Fractured Cowshed, hell yeah!

And god dammit if they're giving Lisa a voice that matches her Silent Hill 1 character uggghhh I don't want to spend money but I have to.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://twitter.com/DeadByBHVR/status/1485998418413694988?s=20

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

I like Haddonfield for visual variety, I hope they fix the things that make it suck. What are the main complaints? I don't play at a high enough level to understand them. I heard someone talking about pallets that create absolute hell loops for killers?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I mean I'd be more impressed if anyone in Dead by Daylight except Ash had lines beyond "Aaaaaaaaaah"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Haddonfield is just an incredible slog of insurmountable hedges blocking off any reasonable route and two story houses that survivors can run to, jump out the window, go back in and you will never catch them until Bloodlust kicks in. And the gens are spread apart in such a way (ground floor top floor ground floor) that all survivors have to do is split up on them and no killer without a teleport can patrol them all.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

The sports analogy doesn't work because the whole team wins, not just 1 player.

I've always thought that if 5 gens are completed, the whole survivor team wins. At least for solo queue. 2 kills vs 2 escapes makes sense for SWF.

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
That gearhead buff looks kind of cool. Is it useful now?

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Umbreon posted:

That gearhead buff looks kind of cool. Is it useful now?

It's actually WORSE now because it only triggers on great skill checks. :allears:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

You'd think, but most of these 10,000 hour survivors hit great skill checks in their sleep so it's sort of a wash

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nice tiny download!

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

Oof, yeah that's going to have to be an over-night thing for me on my crappy bandwidth.

The devs claimed that it was part of a data restructure to make future patches smaller, but that this patch would require pretty much a full re-download as a result. I've seen other games do the same thing on me before.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

big cummers ONLY posted:

I like Haddonfield for visual variety, I hope they fix the things that make it suck. What are the main complaints? I don't play at a high enough level to understand them. I heard someone talking about pallets that create absolute hell loops for killers?

I think it's mostly that many of the houses are nigh-infinite loops, and the yard areas have enough fences, windows and pallets to stall the killer for a very long time if he tries to chase through them. On top of that, the map is pretty big and the killer is easy to spot on it, so playing a non-mobility killer is going to be pretty painful because you'll never catch anyone out of position.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
It might be stupid but have been enjoying detective tapps perks. They probably aren't meta but they are fun! Plus plunderers is just a good time to get items in match and not stress about losing things.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

It's trivially easy on Haddonfield to react to the killer coming towards a 2nd floor gen and to take the advantage on forcing them into a painfully long loop. First floor gens lead to the 2nd gen escape routes just as easily and Haddonfield also features House of Pain, a survivor looping wonderland.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Medullah posted:

I was thinking about the Chess comparison and I think it's fitting to some extent as to what's frustrating.

You have three players. Player A plays Player B, the match lasts hours until there are very few pieces left and Player B can no longer defend their King, and surrenders. The next match, Player A is able to beat Player C in 3 moves due to Player C not paying attention to where they're moving their pieces. Per DBD MMR, both Player B and Player C are identical skill.
Outside of playing one game of chess ever in your life this is not true. In chess if you are a low rank chess player you lose very little MMR when losing to someone whose MMR is a lot higher then yours. You lose a lot more MMR when losing to a player with an MMR close to yours, and gain a chink more MMR when you beat someone much higher than you. In short the MMR of your opponent significantly alters the MMR you win or lose in a match in chess. And you don't get an MMR in chess until you have played 20 ranked games on most sites.

In your example Player A has a much higher MMR to start with because his skill is obviously much higher to play that way and player C loses very little to almost none for losing so hard. The whole thing sorts itself out in very short order after each player plays a few games.

Medullah posted:

Hell, even using the Hockey comparison you have Team A vs Team B, the game ends 2-1 with a shoot out shot to win the game. Team A vs Team C has a score of 13-0. Per MMR, Team B and Team C have the same "skill".
This is also not correct. In Hockey teams get two points for a win, zero points for a loss recorded in the standings. However, for making it to the end of regulation time and heading to overtime or a shootout both teams automatically earn at least one point. The winning team in a shootout/overtime game gets 2 points and the loser gets one. So no, the teams are not listed as having the same skill at all. In your example team A has two points in the standings, Team B has one and team C has zero.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Guess who has another skin (not trapper)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

BitBasher posted:

Outside of playing one game of chess ever in your life this is not true. In chess if you are a low rank chess player you lose very little MMR when losing to someone whose MMR is a lot higher then yours. You lose a lot more MMR when losing to a player with an MMR close to yours, and gain a chink more MMR when you beat someone much higher than you. In short the MMR of your opponent significantly alters the MMR you win or lose in a match in chess. And you don't get an MMR in chess until you have played 20 ranked games on most sites.

In your example Player A has a much higher MMR to start with because his skill is obviously much higher to play that way and player C loses very little to almost none for losing so hard. The whole thing sorts itself out in very short order after each player plays a few games.

So you're saying the amount of MMR someone gains or loses in Chess is based on factors other than just winning or losing? Thanks? You made my point.

quote:

This is also not correct. In Hockey teams get two points for a win, zero points for a loss recorded in the standings. However, for making it to the end of regulation time and heading to overtime or a shootout both teams automatically earn at least one point. The winning team in a shootout/overtime game gets 2 points and the loser gets one. So no, the teams are not listed as having the same skill at all. In your example team A has two points in the standings, Team B has one and team C has zero.

Again, sounds like points are different based on factors other than winning or losing, so again you made my point. DBD only gives you points based on Escapes and Kills.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
If everyone is complaining about how bad the SBMM is, maybe its bad and we should all move on instead of bending over backwards explaining why, despite almost everyone saying its bad, its not actually bad because chess or something.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

I think people are bad at math. It doesn't matter if there are three other people in the game who are all morons. Rating can absolutely be based on team performance because the common element in every game is that you are 25% of your team. That is absolutely quantifiable. People don't think it is because they don't understand how statistical math works.

As an example I can use World of Tanks. In that game there are I think 15 players on a team. People complain they have no impact and win rate doesn't matter, but they are certifiably wrong. It's not rare for a solo player to be able to pull a 55-60% win rate in a tank by themselves in a 15 on 15 game. One player in a decent tank can in fact drive wins with good play. Most players are idiots. They can even do this in tanks that have an average win rate across the board, they can win 5-10% more games than the average player across thousands of games.

The same goes for this game. One player can absolutely drive escape rates as a survivor. They can't do it enough to escape every time and yes they will have idiot teammates but everyone has the same exact chances of having those idiot teammates meaning that ranking that way works fine because there is always one measurable common element in every game. The more competent one survivor is at elevating the play of their teammates the more often they will all escape on average, and the higher chance that more survivors will escape over a good number of games played.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

Medullah posted:

So you're saying the amount of MMR someone gains or loses in Chess is based on factors other than just winning or losing? Thanks? You made my point.
Cool!

Medullah posted:

Again, sounds like points are different based on factors other than winning or losing, so again you made my point. DBD only gives you points based on Escapes and Kills.
Which, yes, is beyond stupid.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Had one of those games as Bubba where there were three relative chumps and one Chris who clearly knew what he was doing. Any attempt to chase him would just have him beeline for pallet hell, so I let him be and took out two of his friends. I finally catch him by the gates, which he starts pointing at. I'm like...uh, I can't open that because Claudette is alive with one gen left. So after much shaking my head I finally down him, hook him, follow the BBQ to the basement where Claudette is doing nothing important and chase her to the 4K. I honestly don't know what Chris was even going for, he was clearly experienced enough to know I couldn't open the gate if I wanted to

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I got the game when Epic recently gave it away for free as their weekly thing. Is that why every survivor in the pre game lobby has the globe symbol next to their name? I thought that symbol was only supposed to be next to people's names that were not on the same platform as you, but I see it on everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah.

"Same platform" in your case means "Epic Games Store". If they're on Steam or Microsoft Store, they get the globe icon, same as console players. Or Stadia, I guess, if anyone is playing on the Stadia?