Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Covermeinsunshine posted:

So I'm almost done with Covens of Blood and boy Namarti have it easy compared to dudes in DoK covens. Also, the level of cultural posturing among these gals is off the charts. I need to get my hands on End of Enlightenment to compare with lumineth.

Overall, the book is decently written(despite having 3 authors they manage to keep the tone somewhat consistent) and surprisingly brutal. However, I find it hard to root for protagonists (with one exception maybe) even compared to most other warhammer books. I recently read Stormvault and while characters have quite a few negative traits, they're still doing trying to do their best and fighting for unambiguously good goals. Here I'm in the mood of "can this people gently caress off and die?".

How does the Jerkass Quotient compare to “The Court of the Blind King”? I got a similar vibe from that main character, but I haven’t read CoB yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Tardigrade posted:

How does the Jerkass Quotient compare to “The Court of the Blind King”? I got a similar vibe from that main character, but I haven’t read CoB yet.

Hmm I have not read the court but from what I understand main character is just an abnormal twit even by deepkin standards. Here we have stuff like sending assasin to butcher noble and his son and party guests because one drunk guy said DoK dance performance was poo poo. Also everyone is super backstabby and dosed in sauce of Morathi manipulations and paranoia. The second story has two decentish characters, but one of them gets into trouble half the time because she questions everyone's bullshit. Treatment of their underclass is also consistently bad across the stories. In other words, I would say this is like reading about skaven with humor cut out.

The second story does have a nice moment of stormcast vanguards cracking jokes at the expanse of incompetent leader of the main characters' coven.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Oops!

I bought the big Soulblight Gravelords box and the main rulebook, goes I'm an Age of Sigmar player now.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Congrats, your army just got a cool new White Dwarf update that looks real good.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

Oops!

I bought the big Soulblight Gravelords box and the main rulebook, goes I'm an Age of Sigmar player now.

This is the proper course of action. Now you might consider where you want to go from that box since both halves support different play styles.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Congrats, your army just got a cool new White Dwarf update that looks real good.

Oooh!

This is the proper course of action. Now you might consider where you want to go from that box since both halves support different play styles.

I pretty much have, as I also bought a bunch of the Vyrkos vampire folks months ago just to paint up. My plan is Belladama, which means Dire Wolves, a Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon because gently caress yeah, a Terrorgeist (because, again, gently caress yea), and more skellie bros. Plus the Blood Knights and some Grave Guard.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Myself I was so torn on picking Vyrkos or Avengori that I skipped Soulblight altogether, and I'm in the middle of building flesh eater courts

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

It was really between Vyrkos and Kastelai for me, but as cool as Blood Knights are, I really wanted a big horde of undead dudes.

It also let me sell the Vengorian Lord on eBay ($40!) which made the box an even better deal.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

The Soulblight book is good as hell. You can definitely create some power lists, but what is cool about it is that it is very hard to not create a good, playable army by just picking whatever you think looks rad. That book has loads of options and basically all of them are valid. The only real garbage unit in there is probably Black Knights.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The real problem is Black and Blood Knights want to occupy the same role and Blood Knights are better at it.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
"d3 MW to a unit within 2" on a dice roll" might actually be one of my least favorite bonuses?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So I'm almost done with Covens of Blood and boy Namarti have it easy compared to dudes in DoK covens. Also, the level of cultural posturing among these gals is off the charts. I need to get my hands on End of Enlightenment to compare with lumineth.

Overall, the book is decently written(despite having 3 authors they manage to keep the tone somewhat consistent) and surprisingly brutal. However, I find it hard to root for protagonists (with one exception maybe) even compared to most other warhammer books. I recently read Stormvault and while characters have quite a few negative traits, they're still doing trying to do their best and fighting for unambiguously good goals. Here I'm in the mood of "can this people gently caress off and die?".

Well Morathi is a terrible person, and naturally created a horrible culture around herself.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So after Covens I sat down with Myths and Revenants and first short story has female ogre mafioso with grot bodyguards that are high as kites all the time. I'm here for this poo poo

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So after Covens I sat down with Myths and Revenants and first short story has female ogre mafioso with grot bodyguards that are high as kites all the time. I'm here for this poo poo

I remember that story, though I read it in Thunderstrike and Other Stories collection. The Ogre owns a pawn shop as a cover for the smuggling and other criminal acts, but does not want to actually bother with the work to make the place look like a respectable store and only wants the people she does actual business with coming in. So she has one of her grots sit at the entrance while super high and looking mean, ensuring that no passersby wants to go near the store.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 19, 2022

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

How is the Wight King on Skeletal Steed?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Great Model.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Anarcho-Commissar posted:

How is the Wight King on Skeletal Steed?

If you have spare 15 points over normal wight king you can take it. It's not awesome but it does not hinder you in any way

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Hey GTA goons and beyond, if anyone’s still thinking of maybe picking up the Dominion box a store in town has it for $139 CAD which is a pretty sweet deal

https://theguildhouse.ca/collections/games-workshop/products/age-of-sigmar-dominion

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Koopa Kid posted:

Hey GTA goons and beyond, if anyone’s still thinking of maybe picking up the Dominion box a store in town has it for $139 CAD which is a pretty sweet deal

https://theguildhouse.ca/collections/games-workshop/products/age-of-sigmar-dominion

That's very tempting.

Usenet Magic-User
Jun 13, 2010
Picked up 3 boxes of dragons and putting them together isnt as bad as the internet led me to believe. Going to paint each of them up to match the color schemes of my favorite monster hunter monsters. Likely try to be more vibrant than realistic but will try to get some of the wing patterns down with my airbrush.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

Played against kruleboyz for the first time yesterday. The mortal wound output is kinda hilarious, but they can't take a hit for poo poo and are kinda slow.

abravemoose
Jul 2, 2021
Finished the easy-to-build Castigators and the gryph-hound buddy

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Played against kruleboyz for the first time yesterday. The mortal wound output is kinda hilarious, but they can't take a hit for poo poo and are kinda slow.

Man they murdered my seraphon so bad. Bastiladon no like. Also one of those giant crossbow things one-shotted kroak when I rolled a natural 17 for his survival, woof.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
Lumineth Test model complete

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
That is an excellent bird. Weirdly it was my favourite thing to work on while painting sentinels.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

jadebullet posted:

Lumineth Test model complete

That is an excellent mini and a superb bird.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://twitter.com/cubicle7/status/1485966094045270021

Oh hey, art that makes the Kruelboyz look good.

Also maggotkin got an FAQ:
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/GjHi2Ip94TenkORr.pdf

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

I think krule summer boyz look fine both in art and in minis. Only thing that bothers me how different they are from other modern-ish orc models

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Yeah I think the Kruleboyz look great and are a lot of fun to paint, but they do kinda look like transplants from another game since they have much more natural-looking proportions and don't really blend in with the aesthetic that the orks and goblins have established.

I still love those goofy Dark Crystal rejects.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
oh man lookit that grot with a blasphemous style helmet and a lance riding a squig! that dude rules.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I cannot wait for this book to come out. So many amazing character options.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So yesterday I finished Myths and revenants book and if you have people who need a crash course in mortal realms I can say it does a good job. It does make me angry tho that Josh Reynolds no longer writes for black library because his short story is a definite highlight and Gardus Steelsoul is a good and rad dude

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The only reason Gardus isn’t my favorite named Stormcast is because Gavriel is out there shouting about how all tyrants will fall and all chains will break.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

So yesterday I finished Myths and revenants book and if you have people who need a crash course in mortal realms I can say it does a good job. It does make me angry tho that Josh Reynolds no longer writes for black library because his short story is a definite highlight and Gardus Steelsoul is a good and rad dude

Gardus is pretty great. And yeah it's a shame that Josh left.

Mors Rattus posted:

I cannot wait for this book to come out. So many amazing character options.

Also gleefully anticipating it.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

MonsterEnvy posted:

Gardus is pretty great. And yeah it's a shame that Josh left.

On the other hand, I'm happy with Guymer - he writes decent Gotrek and Deepkin stuff. I actually enjoy that deepkin despite some people claims are not a rehash of dark eldar/dark elves but still have absolutely horrific society

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

On the other hand, I'm happy with Guymer - he writes decent Gotrek and Deepkin stuff. I actually enjoy that deepkin despite some people claims are not a rehash of dark eldar/dark elves but still have absolutely horrific society

I think the Idoneth do a good job of differing their society from other Elf ones.

Covermeinsunshine
Sep 15, 2021

So since I'm sick and have nothing better to do then read, I just swallowed up Gitslayer. Moonclan are silly, but that whole bad moon-fungus combo is nightmare fuel. . On the other hand how does no one point out to gotrek he can get Bugman at skyport?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It was probably written before they decided Bugman’s had survived the shift in worlds.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

So since I'm sick and have nothing better to do then read, I just swallowed up Gitslayer. Moonclan are silly, but that whole bad moon-fungus combo is nightmare fuel. . On the other hand how does no one point out to gotrek he can get Bugman at skyport?

If you like the horror aspect of Gitz, Gloomspite is a surprisingly decent read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
While reading the Witch Elf codex last night, I notice they talk about Morathi changing all the statues of Khaine to be female in form. There's a concept sketch of this in the book and also very few images of the boob-out medusa. I assume this means a new kit for the cauldron/khaine/medusa is in the works for some point in the future?