Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Davros1 posted:

The Batman's runtime has been announced:

2 hours and 55 minutes

f'n hell

I can wait for it to hit HBO Max a month and a half later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

I am very happy to watch a 3 hour Batman film. Everything about this film looks dope.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Madkal posted:

How long can you film pearls dropping to the ground?

We're going to find out!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I hope they have time to work in his origin!

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
It turns out the movie is so long because there's a big Bollywood dance number in the middle of the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Jamesman posted:

It turns out the movie is so long because there's a big Bollywood dance number in the middle of the film.

How come Batman doesn't dance anymore? Remember the Batusi?

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Some of us are still doing the batussy

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
The Riddler's origin story in this movie is he was inspired by Batman Forever and the movie shows him watching the entire thing.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

If they make use of the time well and keep things suspenseful, I don't mind the length. That said, every-time I get hyped about this movie, I remember fetish-masked zodiac killer Riddler, which brings my expectations back in line. I'm still expecting a a dumb question mark scar on his forehead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Riddle me this, how did I get these scars? Well, I'm the Riddler baby!

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

We'll get a sympathetic and heart-wrenching tale of a boy ridiculed for his curved spine and hunchback, who all the cruel kids called "Question Mark." He swore that he'd make everyone pay and show them what Question Mark could do. Well, first he had to think of a different name, one that wouldn't be confused with that vigilante guy with the blank face. But once he did, oh they'd all be sorry.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lobok posted:

We'll get a sympathetic and heart-wrenching tale of a boy ridiculed for his curved spine and hunchback, who all the cruel kids called "Question Mark." He swore that he'd make everyone pay and show them what Question Mark could do. Well, first he had to think of a different name, one that wouldn't be confused with that vigilante guy with the blank face. But once he did, oh they'd all be sorry.

That honestly sounds like a decent set up for a Dick Tracy villain, just keep Question Mark as a name because you don't have time to be subtle in three panels a day.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Finally got around to Eternals, and maybe it's the tempered expectations, or the home viewing experience, but I liked it a lot more than, say, Black Widow. And I'm not down on Gemma Chan's performance. If there's an issue, I think it's mostly in her writing. Sersi is basically the self-insert character from a YA romance. She's 'nice and quirky and pretty but not in a showy way teehee' but without much actual personality because that makes her harder to relate to. I knew the twist going in but Madden does a great job in being able to play both sides of the coin.

I don't think the Galactus/Surfer comparison is that apt, because that relationship is purely destructive, whereas in Eternals the quandary is either option is letting death occur to preserve life elsewhere. I do think they may make Galactus be a Celestial instead of his cooler Kirby-pop-sci-fi nonsense background.

One thing I haven't seen commented on is Kit Harrington. Yes Dane is kind of shoehorned in as a tie to another film (although he does serve a purpose in illustrating how entwined with humans Sersi has become), I'm mostly impressed that he was cast and not directed to just be Jon Snow. Dane's an actual character with a different personality and the idea that he's open-minded about super-powers and poo poo because well, he lives in the Marvel Universe and there's dudes in robot suits and wizards and ladies that can fly in space is actually really fun.

I also really, really liked the joke where Druig and Kingo get sidetracked and start bickering about Kingo's movie career and YouTube views.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Was just reminded that there’s a (smaller) Celestial in GotG shown blowing up a planet with the Power Stone. They’ve had the visuals for these things on lock for years. I’ll never tire of things like rewatching that scene in 2022 and now it means something because of a film that came out just 2 months ago.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Jamesman posted:

The Riddler's origin story in this movie is he was inspired by Batman Forever and the movie shows him watching the entire thing.

They take inspiration from Spiderman and have the Riddler build a dimensional portal, forcing Robert Pattinson to team up with Val Kilmer to defeat Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

edit: I basically want every superhero movie from now on to be forced to do this, especially if they don't want to.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Shocking news but they've officially shelved New Gods and The Trench

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Opopanax posted:

Shocking news but they've officially shelved New Gods and The Trench

They announced that last April.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Apparently I'm reading an old article

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

They take inspiration from Spiderman and have the Riddler build a dimensional portal, forcing Robert Pattinson to team up with Val Kilmer to defeat Jim Carrey and Tommy Lee Jones.

edit: I basically want every superhero movie from now on to be forced to do this, especially if they don't want to.

This will lead to them adapting Three Jokers and giving us CG Heath Ledger.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1485831744444145666?s=20

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Isn't that where Flashpoint is going? Complete with Keaton Batmam

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
e: nm

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

After No Way Home I'm sure we'll see DC try and fail several times to ape the concept

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
It really confuses me how DC/WB are super into Flashpoint, to the point that it keeps getting touched on. I realize it was the most recent universal reset, so it's kinda important in that sense, but it wasn't very good, and most of the alternate versions of characters were pretty bad too.

also gently caress barry allen

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

OnimaruXLR posted:

I realize it was the most recent universal reset, so it's kinda important in that sense

Is that true? Flashpoint was like, 10+ years ago at this point and it's DC so I had assumed they'd probably had at least several more by now. I only "properly" read comics as they were coming out for 5 years or so back in the late 2000s but it felt like they'd done at least 3 universe resets in that time alone.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I think it counts as the most recent universal reset that clearly created a new blank slate timeline. DC Rebirth and New Frontier were both kind of universal resets, but in a more general housekeeping kind of way that didn't, like, retcon the universe out of existence.

OnimaruXLR posted:

It really confuses me how DC/WB are super into Flashpoint, to the point that it keeps getting touched on.
Geoff Johns is probably the answer.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

It really confuses me how DC/WB are super into Flashpoint, to the point that it keeps getting touched on. I realize it was the most recent universal reset, so it's kinda important in that sense, but it wasn't very good, and most of the alternate versions of characters were pretty bad too.

also gently caress barry allen

Other than the animated movie, none of the adaptations of Flashpoint are actually the comic story Flashpoint though. They just like the title.

thebardyspoon posted:

Is that true? Flashpoint was like, 10+ years ago at this point and it's DC so I had assumed they'd probably had at least several more by now. I only "properly" read comics as they were coming out for 5 years or so back in the late 2000s but it felt like they'd done at least 3 universe resets in that time alone.

Rebirth involves Dr. Manhattan and Watchmen stuff so that's a much harder one to do outside comics I guess.

Rebirth was also the opposite of a reboot since it brought back decades of continuity.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 25, 2022

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Wow, going for a pot pourri of Batgirl stuff. Villain from Year One, suit from Burnside, friend from Simone. (Alysia did show up after that and in the Burnside era but only intermittently)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

thebardyspoon posted:

Yeah DC's had a few smaller events since Flashpoint but nothing that really changed stuff dramatically. I guess they recently did Death Metal (an event I'm perfectly happy to never revisit or discuss ever again), which brought back a bunch of old characters that had previously been written out like the JSA, but they also kinda sorta brought them back in Doomsday Clock when Dr. Manhattan says he's gonna fix the timeline, they just didn't really show that many of those now-existing again people until Death Metal.

Anyway, point is that Flashpoint is still probably the most recent big reset in DC history. And it comes with a nifty alternate universe angle to work with instead of just beating a big bad like a Crisis and going "oh wow everything's different" in the fallout.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

BrianWilly posted:

Geoff Johns is probably the answer.

Geoff Johns is definitely the answer.

He'd kick Spielberg out of his office if Spielberg said he'd want to make a Wally West movie.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
https://twitter.com/gerryconway/status/1486063753883836417?s=20

Fair point Gerry

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It does say "film" I guess.

I'm eager to see the Supergirl cast react to that release.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean he's right but the tweet specifically says film so

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Every single article I've seen about it has mentioned Maines.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Well maybe Gerry was singling out that "news" site for their exclusion.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Is it even a site? They didn't link to anything except the Variety article, which talks about Maines and Supergirl in the third paragraph

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Is it even a site? They didn't link to anything except the Variety article, which talks about Maines and Supergirl in the third paragraph

Well they sure worded their tweet foolishly!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Davros1 posted:

Geoff Johns is definitely the answer.

He'd kick Spielberg out of his office if Spielberg said he'd want to put poc in the movie.

Fixed it for you

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is that a Johns thing?

I guess Cyborg is his 1 black friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Rhyno posted:

Well they sure worded their tweet foolishly!

who did