Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Xaris posted:

but then he was like clearly bored with it 2/3rd and just turned really stupid and ended

You could have just said “Steven King”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
i know i know but it was just egregiously blatant and awful that it stuck out like a six pack in a goon convention. he's never been good at endings/last third but still better than that garbage. like it was tonal whiplash

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

We should have more of this. People will bitch about what's the point but violence is dirty and pointless in our lives.

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1485001686334726160

hell yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0

(sadly missing the end credit of 'mark's wife:')

Also reminds me of the ending for Takeshi Miike's 'Dead or Alive'

It's actually a fairly serious and well done crime film, like a Japanese HEAT. On the commentary Miike said he had two of the biggest starts of japanese film and tv at the time putting butts in seats, so he could do whatever the gently caress he wanted in the last 5 minutes.

watching it with friends just to gauge their reactions is one of my fave movie memories

Durf has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Jan 25, 2022

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the best bit of 11/22/63 is when the stephen king self insert is having sex with a woman from the 1950s and invents the female orgasm for the first time

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Communist Thoughts posted:

the best bit of 11/22/63 is when the stephen king self insert is having sex with a woman from the 1950s and invents the female orgasm for the first time

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

Stephen King is the ultimate boomer liberal at this point

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Communist Thoughts posted:

"Ribbed... for her pleasure." You made me remember it, now I'm inflicting it on everyone else.

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
if you want real pain the audiobook narrator doesn't know the tune to In The Mood and keeps humming it wrong every time it comes up

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Also still pretty lol that The Dark Tower has the same ending as Mighty Max. Which ended first?

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

I'm still hopeful that maybe King will take another crack at 5-7

Just give'em a do-over, Stevie no one is gonna blame you

I mean I guess Song of Susannah and TDK itself could be okay with edits but Wolves is pretty loving terrible

how do you make a seven samurai knock-off with gunslingers that loving boring

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
wizard and glass is extremely good and needs no fixing though I understand the pace killing is a big deal and was probably much much worse for people waiting for it to come out

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Zvahl posted:

wizard and glass is extremely good and needs no fixing though I understand the pace killing is a big deal and was probably much much worse for people waiting for it to come out

I ninja edited: got the numbers wrong.
Wizard is great, agreed.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Also still pretty lol that The Dark Tower has the same ending as Mighty Max. Which ended first?

The mighty max cartoon was far better than it had any right being considering the genesis

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
wait why do people act like Palpatine returning is weird when literally his whole deal was about discovering a technique to cheat death with the force

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You should hear my accent.

smarxist posted:

wait why do people act like Palpatine returning is weird when literally his whole deal was about discovering a technique to cheat death with the force

Because it's so lame.

The original trilogy had a nice self-contained arc and the big payoff was that Darth Vader eventually brought balance to the force (by going nuts and killing everyone) and then somewhat redeemed himself by killing the Emperor. Bringing back Palpatine both minimizes the stakes of the original three movies and doesn't make the sequel trilogy any better.

Plus, Palpatine just kind of shows up in the third movie after they built up Snoke in the first Abrams movie.

Maybe I'm just old and need to let go. Let the past die.

Eric Cantonese has issued a correction as of 15:36 on Jan 25, 2022

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smarxist posted:

the end of return of the jedi, where he dies getting thrown down a big pit, and then no elaboration on what happened between that and him returning is probably why

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

the end of return of the jedi, where he dies getting thrown down a big pit, and then no elaboration on what happened between that and him returning is probably why

it was Jenova

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
and yeah I get why it's bad in the context of the movie, especially with how rushed along it is and heavy handed other aspects of it were

they should have ran than arc over a couple seasons in a trashy alliance remnant / Jedi TV series cartoon thing maybe

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
it's okay if the answer is "because he just does okay? he used the force to do it" like it's a story about magic wizard knights. but it sucks lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

smarxist posted:

they should have ran than arc over a couple seasons in a trashy alliance remnant / Jedi TV series cartoon thing maybe

best we can do is a promotional event in Fortnite

Bear Retrieval Unit
Nov 5, 2009

Mudslide Experiment

smarxist posted:

not really. he was just bullshitting anakin, then after he turned he was all like "oh I don't know how to do that, but if we work together we can figure it out".

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

best we can do is a promotional event in Fortnite

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Efb on star wars

Let's talk about Paris Texas instead

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I ninja edited: got the numbers wrong.
Wizard is great, agreed.

It was a much better book than I expected it to be going in and I remember it really fondly. I’m pretty sure five and six would still be very bad, but maybe not quite as much so if they hadn’t followed such a strong entry

It’s funny, I think it’s the King book that I have the fondest memory of with the exception of It, but I read that as a lonely 13 year old with a bad family situation while working through grief and guilt from my younger brother’s traumatic death, so I’m certain it probably hit way harder than it should of for obvious reasons. I’ve considered going back and rereading it especially given how people talk about it these days (I obviously didn’t pick up on a lot of the cringier stuff at that age) but I always come back to it’s probably just left as a memory from a specific time and place

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
you have a good attitude, but eventually you get old and worn out enough that revisiting those touchstones becomes a habitual addiction of the mind

i mean unless you're like one of those breathlessly creative genius people always moving into new poo poo, which seems exhausting tbqh

anyway, going to lay down for an hour or so and remember some favorite times

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

HashtagGirlboss posted:

It was a much better book than I expected it to be going in and I remember it really fondly. I’m pretty sure five and six would still be very bad, but maybe not quite as much so if they hadn’t followed such a strong entry

It’s funny, I think it’s the King book that I have the fondest memory of with the exception of It, but I read that as a lonely 13 year old with a bad family situation while working through grief and guilt from my younger brother’s traumatic death, so I’m certain it probably hit way harder than it should of for obvious reasons. I’ve considered going back and rereading it especially given how people talk about it these days (I obviously didn’t pick up on a lot of the cringier stuff at that age) but I always come back to it’s probably just left as a memory from a specific time and place

you should read it again, it’s good but

RandolphCarter posted:

you cannot trust my opinion on anything, I love the dark tower series, every book.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

you have a good attitude, but eventually you get old and worn out enough that revisiting those touchstones becomes a habitual addiction of the mind

i mean unless you're like one of those breathlessly creative genius people always moving into new poo poo, which seems exhausting tbqh

anyway, going to lay down for an hour or so and remember some favorite times

I’m not above revisiting cherished older properties. It’s just that one specifically involves scars I’m not sure I’m ready to pick at yet even 30 years on

RandolphCarter posted:

you should read it again, it’s good but

Thanks. I may eventually but it’ll need to be the right time. I did pick up the time travel Kennedy one everyone is recommending and I’m looking forward to getting back into King world but with something unfamiliar

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
11/22/63 is a doorstop and its all dangerously engrossing, especially the poo poo about Dallas as a city

i think the day i finished it i just all nighted the last 300 pages or so, it hits the final climb early and burns long

Zvahl
Oct 14, 2005

научный кот
yeah the stuff with him stalking oswald and living in dallas and ftw are some really A+ king meandering and poking around and it's why I come back to it so much

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1485856422676029440

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Reading a book is such an innately more personal experience than watching a movie or listening to an album that I think they lend themselves to and warrant revisiting.
I'll cycle my favorites or just books that were important to me or that I feel like I've forgotten back into my reading rotation every couple of years and they'll have changed as much as I have in the time apart

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

You guys can rag on King for being a boomer lib, but at least his foray into the assassination didn't lead him to believe that the mafia killed Kennedy (which seems to be the prevailing belief among entertainers of his generation).

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Eric Cantonese posted:

You guys can rag on King for being a boomer lib, but at least his foray into the assassination didn't lead him to believe that the mafia killed Kennedy (which seems to be the prevailing belief among entertainers of his generation).

i mean, if you think the CIA did it then you're basically saying the mafia did it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Smythe posted:

only cartoon im watching is the new season of the dota anime... which is alright but they made linas big jubbly TTYs LESS large... it seems.. whcoih pisses me off BIG TIME

Wait, Dota ripped off Lina Inverse for one their champions and then gave her huge tits? loving lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qV23nKlWnWc

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i mean, if you think the CIA did it then you're basically saying the mafia did it.

no

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
a solid rebuttal. can't come back from that.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

*knocking on door with a copy of "CHAOS" in hand* Good morning sir! Have you heard the good news about the Epstein thread?

Eric Cantonese
Dec 21, 2004

The Mossad killed Epstein to cover up their killing of Kennedy.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1485813819242864644

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

smarxist posted:

The mighty max cartoon was far better than it had any right being considering the genesis

it ruled. I don't remember much but thought the plot was cool