Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/Seamus_Malek/status/1485707563714891781?t=_YDv4sK3EWcpXVhThdZ60Q&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Amazing

That's so incredible. It's like Poochie irl

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tvAjX5ACPo

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhiOAFE64M4

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Jigsaw posted:

I like this one:

I know what happened, but I'm not actually sure what exactly the right translation is (something like "grandma's sugar cookies"?)

Reminds me of my first night in Beijing when I went to a fancy restaurant and saw "Jew's ear" as an entree on the menu. Apparently it's an antiquated term for wood ear fungus, but my Chinese friends had no idea where that translation came from and were kind of freaking out because they knew I have some Jewish background. I just thought it was hilarious.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
"dog days of summer" actually calques pretty well into korean. and if you like dogs one way you eat chicken soup those days and if you like dogs the other way, well, thats the time to have dog soup

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

d0s posted:

had this image on my hard drive for years, is this a literal translation?

it sort of is but "rear end in a top hat" in this case is a lovely person rather than the part of your body. you can also translate it as like moron, dumbass, jerk, bastard or a million other things... 混蛋 is just a generic term for someone you don't like.

it's also a word for the kind of not-quite-completely-cooked scrambled eggs you get a lot in HK and Taiwan which is v good (lit. mixed egg) which is what this is referring to.

Jigsaw posted:

I like this one:

I know what happened, but I'm not actually sure what exactly the right translation is (something like "grandma's sugar cookies"?)

i had to look this one up and after reading a but on zhihu apparently the term causes a lot of misunderstandings in china cuz 二他妈妈 is a tianjinhua-specific thing which sounds a lot like curse words in the rest of china lol.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Highly reccomend eating horse, a fantastic meat, horses are horrible animals only fit for the dinner table.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Kharnifex posted:

Highly reccomend eating horse, a fantastic meat, horses are horrible animals only fit for the dinner table.
Poor Apples, thought of ants and got eaten.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Ant marinade, Apples prepared himself for the plate.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Kharnifex posted:

Horse sashimi in Japan blew my mind and sold me on horse ever since.

Also isn't being against eating horses a specifically American thing? I thought horse meat wasn't - well it's not common, just not as weirdly taboo in Europe as it is in the US.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Gaius Marius posted:

Eating horse or dog is really hosed up

So is eating that cheese that comes in a can. This isn't a very culturally sensitive way to get your point across, either.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
It's an Anglo thing.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Amergin posted:

Also isn't being against eating horses a specifically American thing? I thought horse meat wasn't - well it's not common, just not as weirdly taboo in Europe as it is in the US.

Hashimi god you ve brought back some memories.....so after we ate the horse the next say we were taken to a stable....I swear they could smell the evil on us.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, the French eat horse well enough.

I quite liked it. Like very lean beef.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

its also a huge mongolian staple meat, for obvious reasons. lean, not too tough, flavour kinda between beef and venison.

as an aside, is there much penetration of actual mongolian cuisine into china? obviously they have inner mongolia annexed so im sure people there still eat some amount of their traditional food, but like, are you able to find sheeps tail commonly or is it just as foreign as it is most other places in the world?

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I think part of the attitude against eating horse is that horses are such useful domesticated animals that in different times it just didn't make economic sense. Conjecture on my part there, though.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Mongolian BBQ is pretty good and common in Taiwan.

Yes, I know it has nothing to do with Mongolia and was basically a marketing gimmick.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I think part of the attitude against eating horse is that horses are such useful domesticated animals that in different times it just didn't make economic sense. Conjecture on my part there, though.

I think I've heard similar reasons for why beef was shunned by a lot of Indian religions and was part of why beef wasn't super popular in China? That and the fact that China doesn't have a lot of good grazing land for large scale cattle ranches anyways.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Eh, we used oxen as draft animals

Mostly because horses and Scandinavia didn't mix too well.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
You guys ever try to mess with the Mongolian BBQ boy by putting tons of chili on your plate?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

horse is good but know whats even better

yak

ili
Jul 26, 2003

Never had yak but I'd definitely try it.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ailumao posted:

yak

hell yeah

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Ailumao posted:

yak

Fuckin' A

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Ailumao posted:

donkey

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Yeah donkey is legit.

I don't even know why it's just really good.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
feel like we went over this like 4 or 5 times now

what i really need to do is find a source in the west

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

what i really need to do is find a source in the west

https://donkeyrescue.org/adoption/

And then I guess you just find a butcher.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
lookin at the actual legal terms you don't seem to be gaining actual beneficial ownership of the donkey. deffo not slaughter rights, forex

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Horse was commonly eaten in the UK, I'd say that before 1950 every town would have a speciality horse meat butcher.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

bob dobbs is dead posted:

lookin at the actual legal terms you don't seem to be gaining actual beneficial ownership of the donkey. deffo not slaughter rights, forex

I'm gonna be honest I didn't read it I just googled donkey adoption

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

yaffle posted:

Horse was commonly eaten in the UK, I'd say that before 1950 every town would have a speciality horse meat butcher.

Yeah, seems it was very common until a couple years ago when everyone realized.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

Had horse in the middle of Brussels, and it was ok but by the end of it the gameiness was becoming a bit overwhelming. And this is coming from someone who routinely eats kangaroo which is particularly gamey. I think the issue was that it was an undressed steak with some sides so it was just very rich to work through, whereas with roo I'm usually marinating it in some way or form so the flavour is tempered (to me, that's the main benefit of a gamey meat).

mkvltra
Nov 1, 2020

BrainDance posted:

Yeah donkey is legit.

I don't even know why it's just really good.

Tastes like rear end

Valko
Sep 18, 2015

Amergin posted:

On the continent it's not taboo but in the UK and Ireland it kind of is. I'm not sure about Scandinavia.

Austen Tassletine
Nov 5, 2010
I seem to recall a few years ago some minor celebrity decided to do a little publicity stunt by serving horse meat outside the grand national, or Ascot, or one of those. I think the police moved her on very quickly, which I remember thinking at the time was a bit harsh and an abuse of police power. Especially as horse meat is lovely.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

mkvltra posted:

Tastes like rear end

This is a perk, imo

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

yeah, I eat rear end

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
if you're ever in japan and order something with 桜 in the name at a restaurant, you may be very disappointed to find that it in no way relates to cherry blossoms. it means horse meat

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Paper Lion posted:

as an aside, is there much penetration of actual mongolian cuisine into china? obviously they have inner mongolia annexed so im sure people there still eat some amount of their traditional food, but like, are you able to find sheeps tail commonly or is it just as foreign as it is most other places in the world?

Not really. For the most part in China if you're not in the area where the food comes from, it isn't available. Like in Chengdu, a city of... 10 million? Who knows. Huge. Anyway, there was like, one Cantonese restaurant that served anything close to actual Cantonese food, one Dongbei place, one Guizhou, etc. Xinjiang food is fairly common everywhere because Uighurs traveled around and set up restaurants. And there are places like Shenzhen which are completely artificial cities and everyone is from somewhere else, so there's a lot of variety. It took one of our very own intrepid goons like a year? to find acceptable Sichuan food in Shanghai. But for the most part if you want Mongolian food outside of Inner Mongolia it's going to be a challenge. There's no market, everyone just wants the food from their home village and nothing else.

Ailumao posted:

yak

This guy gets it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010