Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Samovar posted:

Links to good examples?

The start of this might be what you're looking for: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-g-D5T1X7Y

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Samovar posted:

Links to good examples?

Another good one, at this particular timestamp, him doing a post-mission "Speaker" speech.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNfC7Ipcq2o&t=308s

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Yeah, that is a remarkable Speaker impression. And pretty passable at the Hunter/Warlock as well.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" the Assassin continues to insist as she slowly shrinks and transforms into a mimic beacon

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Get a sandwich and a rootbeer ready, this episode is an hour long. Then go watch the video before reading the rest of this. I guess. If you didn't watch the first LP or haven't seen the original line of plot missions.

This is the earliest I've ever rushed the Black Site mission. Usually I wait for the first upgraded weapons tech or armor upgrade or probably both. I figured with how long I put things off in the first LP I'd make a better effort of doing these sorts of missions as they become available. Better sense of flow for the narrative and stuff like that. I touch on it briefly in the video but I wasn't too worried about it because the difficulty of missions in XCom 2 scale with time elapsed. The longer I take to sit back and tech up the more difficult the enemies I see on the mission would be. There is some differing thoughts on how that works out, as with higher level soldiers and gear the more things and skills a player has at their disposal to overcome these challenges and thus the high level fights can be easier than these low level fights where most of my soldiers can do little more than reposition and shoot gun. Either way I got the job done and I think the game balanced the difficulty pretty well for a team of five where half of them were squaddies.

Also gently caress the assassin so much. Invisible bullshit is the worst kind of bullshit. At least she starts out pretty mild. The slash for 3-4 damage and a daze isn't too terrible. She's not one shoting guys at least. However the hit and run vanish routine she does can be really infuriating and you're just thankful when she does something like blind grenade a dude or two rather than what seems like guaranteed damage on on of her turns. I would say the ideal place to fight her is somewhere wide open with out a lot walls or large line of sight obstructions and then spread out into a crescent formation. Spread out and move to where she hides from as many angles as possible to reveal her when she vanishes. This is of course a theoretical ideal and not usually so possible. However, do always try to fight Chosen when you have no other active aliens around. Being able to concentrate fire or maneuver to counter invisibility is a huge deal.

Jade Star fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jan 22, 2022

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Oh hey, Akratic Method, I know you're in here somewhere.

I don't feel like 'Duke' is a good nickname for you. Would you like a new one? You can suggest one or you can go with my pick of 'Cutscene' since I always seem to trigger cutscenes with you and/or keep using you for the Table of Context images.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

So I didn't sleep well again, and when I don't sleep I LP. Here is a three hour session of Outer Wilds. I gotta say, this game really sucked me in and both Guava and I were still wanting to go on when I noticed we'd been playing for three hours already. Gotta pace ourselves or we'll run out of Outer Wilds way before we're done with XCom.

I'll try to keep future Outer Wilds to about an hour. I feel like that is a more reasonable time length to ask viewers to digest at once. Anyway, grab a marshmallow and enjoy.

SniHjen
Oct 22, 2010

https://youtu.be/tD89NGIcDYk?t=423

Imagine a Cartoon scene, someone falls, hit the ground hard into the earth, leaving their silhouette.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

For the record Guava, the reason chemists talk about what chemicals taste and smell like so much is a holdover from when they didn't have the same level of equipment we have now. There wasn't really any other way to describe a lot of chemicals in the 17 and 1800's besides sight and easily measurable things like density and melting and freezing points. We don't really do that kind of thing anymore. Though it's also fun, and where we got artificial sweeteners.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

seaborgium posted:

For the record Guava, the reason chemists talk about what chemicals taste and smell like so much is a holdover from when they didn't have the same level of equipment we have now. There wasn't really any other way to describe a lot of chemicals in the 17 and 1800's besides sight and easily measurable things like density and melting and freezing points. We don't really do that kind of thing anymore. Though it's also fun, and where we got artificial sweeteners.

Look at this mans avatar from UFO: Aftermath. So long ago. Brings back the memories.

Lustful Man Hugs
Jul 18, 2010

Man, both sides had an improbable amount of misses in that last mission. That was weird.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
As far as Skirmishers go, I think they get a lot of cool abilities but they just don't really synergize with each other, unlike the other two which have more coherent themes. I know Jade said he hates everything Long War, but one change Long War makes that I really like was swapping out the "shots take a single action" ability with "the first shot against a flanked target refunds an action." That lets them do things like move into a flank, shoot, and then move back, or move shoot-shoot, and also synergizes well with using the grapple and their other movement/move enemy abilities. Meanwhile the vanilla combo of "shoot twice if you don't move" has anti-synergy with their gun having a penalty beyond short range.

But yeah, a vanilla skirmisher is still better than the base classes IMHO, I just don't think they have quite the potential for brokenness the other two heroes have at higher levels.

Also I think Ciaphas Cain saw the poster you made and is afraid you're going to have him make reckless shots on the Chosen to try to get your repeater.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 22, 2022

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
XCOM operatives making contact with the Springfield region (2035, colorized)

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Jade Star posted:

Oh hey, Akratic Method, I know you're in here somewhere.

I don't feel like 'Duke' is a good nickname for you. Would you like a new one? You can suggest one or you can go with my pick of 'Cutscene' since I always seem to trigger cutscenes with you and/or keep using you for the Table of Context images.

If I always get to star in the cutscenes I declare myself Protagonist. If that fits; I forget the length limit. If not, Cutscene is good. I'm hoping that this display of hubris will help us proceed to my horrible death at the hands of a surprise activation of a nasty enemy.

FoulWeatherFriend
Apr 10, 2006

Huh, okay...
I found the assassin really easy way back when wotc came out but I might just have gotten lucky and she almost always ended her moves in line of sight, even when cloaked.

The camera would always pan to follow where she moved when cloaked so I could just grenade where she was and decloak her :shrug:

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

nice

Jade Star posted:

Gotta pace ourselves or we'll run out of Outer Wilds way before we're done with XCom.

Nothing is stopping us from having a second smaller LP within the original LP.

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Pad it with hour long videos of petting Gul Ducat.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

Bremen posted:

Jade said he hates everything Long War, but one change Long War makes that I really like was swapping out the "shots take a single action" ability with "the first shot against a flanked target refunds an action." That lets them do things like move into a flank, shoot, and then move back, or move shoot-shoot,

This would break things horribly here. Presumably it's balanced for long war bullshit, but here, the ability to move, shoot a flanked target and then refund the action to get back means skirmishers could do some very OP bullshit. Flanking isn't easy, mostly because you need to survive where you move. You need to flank a target and still have protection where you move to from any return fire or other targets. With the refunded action a Skirmisher can run out in to the middle of the open with complete safety so long as they get a flank shot, take said flank shot, and then run right back to their previous position, or where ever else they want to go.

I mean, yeah, that's a good skill, but it's like a super easy cheat mode level skill.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

By the way, the only thing I don't like about the retro X-COM soundtrack is that the Chosen don't have their own themes. In the normal soundtrack each one has particular music for being on the field, and another version for being directly engaged.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Jade Star posted:

This would break things horribly here. Presumably it's balanced for long war bullshit, but here, the ability to move, shoot a flanked target and then refund the action to get back means skirmishers could do some very OP bullshit. Flanking isn't easy, mostly because you need to survive where you move. You need to flank a target and still have protection where you move to from any return fire or other targets. With the refunded action a Skirmisher can run out in to the middle of the open with complete safety so long as they get a flank shot, take said flank shot, and then run right back to their previous position, or where ever else they want to go.

I mean, yeah, that's a good skill, but it's like a super easy cheat mode level skill.

It's really nothing reapers can't already do by just staying in concealment permanently (and they even get a mobility bonus to make flanks easier), as can vanilla rangers with a skill they get at Captain, as long as the shot is a kill. It's definitely powerful and makes skirmishers stronger than they are in the base game, no question there, but it never really felt like a broken cheat level skill either.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 23, 2022

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP
Neither of the two things you listed are guarantees. Nor do they refund an action point.

Reapers require a kill shot and a skill selection or risk exposure.
Rangers require a kill shot and either Implacable or Untouchable. Or both.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

There's another class that can do it guaranteed with starting skills, but I'm trying not to mention them because it's technically a spoiler.

But anyways, I didn't mean to start an argument or anything. I just thought it was an interesting change that made the class play a bit differently.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 23, 2022

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

seaborgium posted:

I assumed, not having read the descriptions, that they more over-used 'has a unique smell/taste' as an expression, rather than describing taste/expression.

A unique smell/taste tells you NOTHING. Sweet, pleasant, acrid, smells similar to x, those tell you things. Unique does not.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Veloxyll posted:

I assumed, not having read the descriptions, that they more over-used 'has a unique smell/taste' as an expression, rather than describing taste/expression.

A unique smell/taste tells you NOTHING. Sweet, pleasant, acrid, smells similar to x, those tell you things. Unique does not.

Ignition! posted:

The trimethylammonium nitrate went just as easily — except for one small detail. The highly volatile trimethylamine sticks tenaciously to the skin and clothes, and smells like the Fulton Street fish market on a hot Saturday morning (although some of us used a more earthy comparison) and poor Roger Machinist, who had the job of making the salt, was saluted, for some weeks, by people who held their noses with one hand, pointed at him with the other, and shouted, "Unclean, unclean! " We called that propellant "Minnie," for reasons which now escape me.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Veloxyll posted:

The point of saying that something has a "characteristic" odor is to state that it specifically doesn't fall into more commonplace patterns of smell, but You'll Know It When You Smell It.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

Veloxyll posted:

True, unique smells/tastes don't really help but there are still a few chemists alive who learned how to taste things in their first lab classes. I had more than one professor who could tell me what benzene tasted like in undergrad. Hell, I was taught how to "safely" smell compounds to help us identify it and I'm far from an old chemist. The sweet, bitter, that kind of thing does help identify a class but there are far safer ways now. At the time it was just a data point to help you prove you made a particular compound.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

NGDBSS posted:

The point of saying that something has a "characteristic" odor is to state that it specifically doesn't fall into more commonplace patterns of smell, but You'll Know It When You Smell It.

Naphtha. An old roommate and friend worked in an oil plant, and that smell is unforgettable. Took a year after he stopped working there for us to get rid of the smell.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

I wouldn't say I leave the black site until super late, but that's the first time I've seen out of all my playthroughs that didn't have a purifier lurking up at the end there. Which, if luck is on your side, is basically a free flamey grenade.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes you learn that a thing won't kill you and you just need to know what it tastes like.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

goatface posted:

Sometimes you learn that a thing won't kill you and you just need to know what it tastes like.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Hunker down has it uses.

okay, just one: It puts out fire and sometimes it can be advantageous to set yourself on fire running forward and then put it out before you take damage.

And I guess purifiers actually hit once in a blue moon for that to matter as well. I have no idea why the devs gave them such terrible accuracy, they're even safer than sectoids to leave around.

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

Any day now.

Well, until the advanced ones have grenades, at least.

But also yeah, it really feels like a solid jet of flame ought to have an easier time hitting someone when sweeping across them. Like, how is the base accuracy not 100%?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Or if there's anything that looks vaguely like a fuel tank within half a mile of you.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

goatface posted:

Well laughing gas was discovered by taking a big ol' huff of a reaction back in the 1600's. Changing the conditions the next day did almost kill the guy, but hey, free laughing gas!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I've spent too much time with geologists to consider licking things an unusual technique.

E - One of them had a story that ended "Please stop licking the uranium ore".

goatface fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 24, 2022

TitanG
May 10, 2015

seaborgium posted:

True, unique smells/tastes don't really help but there are still a few chemists alive who learned how to taste things in their first lab classes. I had more than one professor who could tell me what benzene tasted like in undergrad. Hell, I was taught how to "safely" smell compounds to help us identify it and I'm far from an old chemist. The sweet, bitter, that kind of thing does help identify a class but there are far safer ways now. At the time it was just a data point to help you prove you made a particular compound.

Oh, most chemists know the tastes of volatile solvents. Work with them enough, you'll breathe some in through the mouth which is enough to get a taste. Chlorinated ones taste somewhat sweet. Acetone tastes absolutely loving disgusting. Alcohol denaturants are also disgusting, in a weird and off-putting way that's kinda hard to determine.
Also diluted phosphoric acid is delicious.

TitanG fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 24, 2022

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

TitanG posted:

Oh, most chemists know the tastes of volatile solvents. Work with them enough, you'll breathe some in through the mouth which is enough to get a taste. Chlorinated ones taste somewhat sweet. Acetone tastes absolutely loving disgusting. Alcohol denaturants are also disgusting, in a weird and off-putting way that's kinda hard to determine.
Also diluted phosphoric acid is delicious.

That's why it's in soda. And after long enough exposure, the sweet smell of dimethyl sulfide starts to to override the rank smell of most sulfides.

And Jade, would you mind doing a bit more of an explainer as to why you pick the skills you do? I know some are obviously better, but it's been a while since I played.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

seaborgium posted:

And Jade, would you mind doing a bit more of an explainer as to why you pick the skills you do? I know some are obviously better, but it's been a while since I played.

Nothing has really changed since the last LP. Wotc doesn't add new skills, only changes how the old AWC used to give a random skill to the 4 random class class skills you can now optionally spend points to get. Sometimes this leads to amazing combos, sometimes you get a smattering of a useful skill across your roster like Shredder, which while not game breaker it sure does make life a lot nicer in practice.

I don't leave myself enough time in recordings to fully explain my choices, so I'll make a post or a separate video and just go over all of them at once.

Jade Star
Jul 15, 2002

It burns when I LP

I get to spend a small time on the geoscape scanning and planning, a few important Covert Operations pop up, and I attempt to finish making contact with the rest of Africa. Early game is a lot of goals to chase and not enough manpower/supplies to see them all pursued at once. I also feel a little displeased with my base building so far. I didn't think I'd need an additional power generator so soon but it looks like I will, or I'll have to dedicate an engineer to man one, or spend more resources to get a measly +2 energy upgrade. Maybe I've just been lucky my last few playthroughs and have been under appreciating how great the bonus Avenger power scan sites are. I have been lamenting how mild the scan sites I've seen have been, Guava even pointing out that it seemed off I was scanning for a soldier, and I agree. The supplies scan sites this early aren't great, usually around 50-60 supplies and maybe I should have been going for that over a soldier scan (though I thought it would be a better reward than a single squaddie level soldier). If you ever see bonus power generation scan sites early game, I highly recommend you prioritize them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

You had the Stalker lines mixed up btw. The staircase is "Don't just stand there, I said come in" guy. It's when you go through warehouse that is the main entrance of the main town you hear "Get out of here stalker" from a guy on top of a walkway.