Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

somepartsareme posted:

I forget if I've posted about it in this thread before but the copaganda can be annoying in Psych, especially the character of Lassiter who they try to make sympathetic and somewhat 'noble' despite being a trigger happy conservative climate denying cop. Probably a character who would be a lot different if the show started in the last few years.
The bigger copaganda in Psych is how the protagonists' primary investigative tool is breaking into places and doing illegal secret searches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

bunnyofdoom posted:

Wasn't that Flashpoint?

Wasn’t there something about Flashpoint immediately turning to poo poo once it got an American distribution deal?

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

pentyne posted:

How? Like 99% of his characterization is being a jealous angry glory hound who's constantly screwing up because of his own ego.

True, but there's still some "touching moments" with him and episodes like when he got married (which also had some weird transphobic stuff iirc)

e: Shawn and Gus breaking in and stealing poo poo is ok cause they're just a couple of funny guys, and also there was an episode where they had a case get thrown out because of it one time, which you'd think would have thrown doubt on the whole psychic thing

somepartsareme has a new favorite as of 08:47 on Jan 25, 2022

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I love that Psych has a constant plot point that no one can find out Shawn isn’t psychic, or else he could be arrested for fraud or something - As if the cops aren’t the real frauds for even believing that crimes can be solved by being psychic. And that the reason he had to pretend to be psychic is it was just totally unbelievable to the two head detectives that someone could solve crimes by being hyper observant and finding clues at the crime scene.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Advertisements are media.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

muscles like this! posted:

Cops are an easy source of drama, especially for a procedural.

So?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Vandar posted:

:stare:

I loved that movie when I was younger but I never paid attention to those lyrics. What the gently caress?

Same here.

It's literally a movie for young kids. "PG", not even PG13.

It's not even like it was non diegetic background music. They literally animated the characters singing on stage that they like statutory rape.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

Reminding someone of 14 year old Canadian media is such an advanced form of mental assault

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Hitler joke from Rat Race wouldn't work as well today. Not because of taste, but because all the WW2 veterans are dead.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Same here.

It's literally a movie for young kids. "PG", not even PG13.

It's not even like it was non diegetic background music. They literally animated the characters singing on stage that they like statutory rape.
I think that might be like, an extended full animated version of the song that wasn't all used in the movie. I mean I'm still just blown away at the line and the image of it, but I think at least someone noticed they couldn't use it all.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Ugh how I hate the coplove shows. My mom was on a huge Blue Bloods kick for a while, and if I ever hear that Walhberg rear end in a top hat whine about how people don't respect cops (in between shots of him beating suspects) I will suspect I am in hell.

What, you don't want to hear Marky Mark's brother chew on words with his Brockton accent about how he's part of the thin blue line between society and chaos?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
In the first episode of Flashpoint the cops shoot somebody dead and it's portrayed as a bad thing and everyone's wrecked about it and the cop who did it faces consequences and has to have an investigation and stuff. I only ever saw that one episode but I can't imagine an American show doing that unless it was some kind of Very Special Episode.

My trash is Criminal Minds (the first five or six years at least) which is still stupid and still copaganda but is far enough removed from everyday cop stuff that it doesn't leave quite such a sour taste. And there is a running theme of 'this kind of work will make everyone a bad person eventually'. Don't know if it stays past the first few years.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I remember some sitcom back in the 80s (but don't ask me which one, there were just so many) where the dad was a cop and had to shoot someone. It totally hosed him up, especially trying to explain to his daughter why he had just killed a man.

The only thing I really remember is that some of the other cops got the bullet he used to kill the man and made it into a necklace for him and said "Welcome to the killer club" and he totally lost his poo poo at them.

EDIT: Pretty sure it was Gimme a Break!

Goddamn, I have way too much useless loving poo poo rolling around in my head.

Megillah Gorilla has a new favorite as of 16:59 on Jan 25, 2022

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Nottherealaborn posted:

I love that Psych has a constant plot point that no one can find out Shawn isn’t psychic, or else he could be arrested for fraud or something - As if the cops aren’t the real frauds for even believing that crimes can be solved by being psychic. And that the reason he had to pretend to be psychic is it was just totally unbelievable to the two head detectives that someone could solve crimes by being hyper observant and finding clues at the crime scene.

It's a good thing almost every single criminal on Psych basically confesses when interrogated by either the cops, because then even if Shaun gets found out* they can stay in jail because technically it's not like the cops got warrants off of Shaun's "psychic" abilities/illegally searched homes, right?
(Although I'm sure even a halfway decent lawyer could make a very compelling case to throw out a lot portion of those convictions.)

*And I'm aware at some point in one of the later seasons Jules does find out, I only watched a little past that and she basically says as much that "I'll go along with it because we're taking criminals off the street, but maybe ease up a LITTLE on the illegal searches?"

No clue if later in the series or the movie if the rest of the department/public at large finds out...and also it's weird that his dad, a retired cop who trained him his whole life to BE the best cop/detective, goes along with his scheme.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Anybody watch Lie to Me? This consultancy loosely based on ideas by psychologist Paul Ekman on reading microexpressions to figure out how people really feel becomes this extrajudicial investigative unit that doesn't follow any rules. Interspersed with a bunch of "well, actually, BAD THING is actually GOOD" or vice versa; I particularly remember a full-throated defense of hazing.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I remember some sitcom back in the 80s (but don't ask me which one, there were just so many) where the dad was a cop and had to shoot someone. It totally hosed him up, especially trying to explain to his daughter why he had just killed a man.

The only thing I really remember is that some of the other cops got the bullet he used to kill the man and made it into a necklace for him and said "Welcome to the killer club" and he totally lost his poo poo at them.

EDIT: Pretty sure it was Gimme a Break!

Goddamn, I have way too much useless loving poo poo rolling around in my head.

I know you said 80s, but I really wish this was an episode of Family Matters now.

EDIT: also I now wish that Carl’s incompetent boss who was in the early seasons stopped showing up because he became the scapegoat for a failed coverup.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Anybody watch Lie to Me? This consultancy loosely based on ideas by psychologist Paul Ekman on reading microexpressions to figure out how people really feel becomes this extrajudicial investigative unit that doesn't follow any rules. Interspersed with a bunch of "well, actually, BAD THING is actually GOOD" or vice versa; I particularly remember a full-throated defense of hazing.

I watched that and enjoyed it for about 2 seasons. I dunno how it aged but based on this I assume "not well".

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣
I blame that JCS Criminal Psychology youtube channel, and Lie to Me, for the current climate of amateur body language investigators on tiktok deciding someone is cheating based on their posture

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I watched that and enjoyed it for about 2 seasons. I dunno how it aged but based on this I assume "not well".

I want to say that Season 2 is when they started really becoming this extrajudicial force, where in the first season it was a mix of police and non-police related investigations. I know that's when I bounced off of it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Brooklyn 99 did have a “body language expert” come in for an episode and while he was shown to be observant, he also hosed up a ton of cases by acting like certain body actions were an admission of guilt and making wrong assumptions through little things.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

I dunno what sparked the memory, but, I just remembered this old Fantastic 4 storyline where Reed Richards takes over Latveria.
I think Dr. Doom was trapped in another dimension or something, I don't remember that part, but, the whole arc was one huge metaphor for the Iraq War.

Bullshit like
Sue Storm: "But Doom doesn't have any WMDs, he's always letting the UN have free reign of the place to prove it. :downs:"
Reed: "That's because he hides them in a high tech pocket dimension that non-geniuses can't access. See, here they are."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I liked that show when I watched it, but mostly I like Tim Roth. Even back then I was pretty certain that the "science" of the show was absolute dogshit, since as an autistic person pretty much all of my social facial expressions are learned and maintained via explicit effort.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I liked that show when I watched it, but mostly I like Tim Roth. Even back then I was pretty certain that the "science" of the show was absolute dogshit, since as an autistic person pretty much all of my social facial expressions are learned and maintained via explicit effort.

Tim Roth's a solid reason to watch most things, to be honest.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Fashionable Jorts posted:

Basically what I took from the show - I enjoyed it well enough, especially for Tim Roth, but also laughed every time they showed a criminal making a micro expression and then flashed through famous examples of that facial expression. I think Bill Clinton’s pouting face was used as an example a million times lol

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

DrBouvenstein posted:

It's a good thing almost every single criminal on Psych basically confesses when interrogated by either the cops, because then even if Shaun gets found out* they can stay in jail because technically it's not like the cops got warrants off of Shaun's "psychic" abilities/illegally searched homes, right?
(Although I'm sure even a halfway decent lawyer could make a very compelling case to throw out a lot portion of those convictions.)

*And I'm aware at some point in one of the later seasons Jules does find out, I only watched a little past that and she basically says as much that "I'll go along with it because we're taking criminals off the street, but maybe ease up a LITTLE on the illegal searches?"

No clue if later in the series or the movie if the rest of the department/public at large finds out...and also it's weird that his dad, a retired cop who trained him his whole life to BE the best cop/detective, goes along with his scheme.

Jules and Lassiter are apparently dumb enough to believe it, but it's kind of implied the police chief knows he isn't psychic and it's just a convenient arrangement so that he can keep breaking into places and getting evidence illegally, and his dad goes along with it cause it's the closest Shawn will be able to come to actually using that cop training.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

In the Psych finale, Shawn sends Lassiter a CD-rom with a video of him coming clean about being a fraud but Lassiter pulls the disc out right before Shawn confesses and breaks it, so he can keep plausible deniability.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

the_steve posted:

I dunno what sparked the memory, but, I just remembered this old Fantastic 4 storyline where Reed Richards takes over Latveria.
I think Dr. Doom was trapped in another dimension or something, I don't remember that part, but, the whole arc was one huge metaphor for the Iraq War.

Bullshit like
Sue Storm: "But Doom doesn't have any WMDs, he's always letting the UN have free reign of the place to prove it. :downs:"
Reed: "That's because he hides them in a high tech pocket dimension that non-geniuses can't access. See, here they are."
There were technically two times when Reed/the Fantastic Four took over Latveria; the first one was during Chris Claremont's run, which turned into an overcomplicated thing involving Sue and Doom having a teenaged daughter who traveled back from the future, Celestials, bodyswapping, mind control, the works. This all happened circa 2000 and I don't remember really involving any sort of UN/Iraq War metaphors, in part because of the timeline, in part because Reed was pretending to be (or trapped inside the body of, or haunted by, I forget) Doctor Doom and was pretending to the world to BE Doctor Doom.

The Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo "Authoritative Action" arc from 2003 is probably the one you're thinking of, and it's definitely in part an "Iraq-War-metaphor", but not a terribly coherent one, and pretty solidly not pro-Iraq-Invasion.

In the previous arc Doom made a bunch of deals with a demon and flayed his childhood love and made a suit of armor from her skin as part of some elaborate scheme to mind control the Richards's kids and raise them as his own while also torturing the Fantastic Four in hell, but it ended with Doom being dragged into hell and leaving the monarchy of Latveria vacant.

All of Marvel's other fake Eastern European countries (and Hungary?) all immediately declare their intention to annex Latveria and are having border skirmishes when the Fantastic Four come in and unilaterally declare themselves the new ruling government of Latveria. There is totally a scene that reveals that Doom had a hidden cache of Doomsday weapons/WMD, though it was treated less as a shock and more of a bloody rag Reed Richards shows to his teammates to justify him installing himself as king. Here is that scene:

It's the end of the second of six issues, and by the middle of the third issue the rest of the FF (alongside Nick Fury, SHIELD, the United Nations, Latverian citizens in general, basically the entire world) have turned against Reed and don't think the WMD justified his unilateral actions, Reed is sending Doombots to track Johnny and Ben as they try to talk to the resistance inside Latveria, and a United Nations coalition including the United States is threatening to invade/depose him.

Nick Fury comes to try to talk Reed down and he throws a hastily conceived "nation building" plan at Fury, talking about keeping the economy of Latveria and its resources stable, and only occupying Latveria long enough to ensure they're "ready" for democracy. Then the United Nations invades Latveria and retakes it, but the citizenry of Latveria don't like or trust America or the United Nations either, then a bunch of comic book stuff happens and Doom escapes from Hell possessing the Thing and they have to kill the Thing to stop Doom. The United Nations pulls back from occupying Latveria, Latveria has democratic elections "six weeks later", and Reed Richards is brought up on charges of treason which are only dropped when Reed divests himself from the Fantastic Four and signs off all of his patents to the United States.

The way all of this gets resolved is that the surviving members go to the afterlife and eventually find God (Jack Kirby) who brings the Thing back to life and more or less reverts everything to normal.

The politics of the whole thing (never mind trying to map them to real world politics) are all over the place, but other than "Saddam/Doom really did have WMDs", which doesn't really get mentioned outside of that sequence, the reading would be that Reed/America were dumb to think they would be greeted as liberators, and that acting unilaterally is rash and harmful, and that also Saddam Hussein will always come back, even if you send him to hell.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

the_steve posted:

Bullshit like

Not related to the Iraq War but this reminds me that there's a silver age comic where Doom does a bodyswap with Daredevil so he can sneak attack the FF4 but he gets foiled when Daredevil takes advantage of it and starts running Latveria into the ground and having it declare war on the US so Doom has to bodyswap back so he can fix everything.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I hate when I'm watching a rerun of Forensic Files and it comes down to the shape of the blood spatter or bite mark evidence. The show has admitted when it's been thrown out, but never that it's bullshit.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Edge & Christian posted:

There were technically two times when Reed/the Fantastic Four took over Latveria; the first one was during Chris Claremont's run, which turned into an overcomplicated thing involving Sue and Doom having a teenaged daughter who traveled back from the future, Celestials, bodyswapping, mind control, the works. This all happened circa 2000 and I don't remember really involving any sort of UN/Iraq War metaphors, in part because of the timeline, in part because Reed was pretending to be (or trapped inside the body of, or haunted by, I forget) Doctor Doom and was pretending to the world to BE Doctor Doom.

The Mark Waid/Mike Wieringo "Authoritative Action" arc from 2003 is probably the one you're thinking of, and it's definitely in part an "Iraq-War-metaphor", but not a terribly coherent one, and pretty solidly not pro-Iraq-Invasion.

In the previous arc Doom made a bunch of deals with a demon and flayed his childhood love and made a suit of armor from her skin as part of some elaborate scheme to mind control the Richards's kids and raise them as his own while also torturing the Fantastic Four in hell, but it ended with Doom being dragged into hell and leaving the monarchy of Latveria vacant.

All of Marvel's other fake Eastern European countries (and Hungary?) all immediately declare their intention to annex Latveria and are having border skirmishes when the Fantastic Four come in and unilaterally declare themselves the new ruling government of Latveria. There is totally a scene that reveals that Doom had a hidden cache of Doomsday weapons/WMD, though it was treated less as a shock and more of a bloody rag Reed Richards shows to his teammates to justify him installing himself as king. Here is that scene:

It's the end of the second of six issues, and by the middle of the third issue the rest of the FF (alongside Nick Fury, SHIELD, the United Nations, Latverian citizens in general, basically the entire world) have turned against Reed and don't think the WMD justified his unilateral actions, Reed is sending Doombots to track Johnny and Ben as they try to talk to the resistance inside Latveria, and a United Nations coalition including the United States is threatening to invade/depose him.

Nick Fury comes to try to talk Reed down and he throws a hastily conceived "nation building" plan at Fury, talking about keeping the economy of Latveria and its resources stable, and only occupying Latveria long enough to ensure they're "ready" for democracy. Then the United Nations invades Latveria and retakes it, but the citizenry of Latveria don't like or trust America or the United Nations either, then a bunch of comic book stuff happens and Doom escapes from Hell possessing the Thing and they have to kill the Thing to stop Doom. The United Nations pulls back from occupying Latveria, Latveria has democratic elections "six weeks later", and Reed Richards is brought up on charges of treason which are only dropped when Reed divests himself from the Fantastic Four and signs off all of his patents to the United States.

The way all of this gets resolved is that the surviving members go to the afterlife and eventually find God (Jack Kirby) who brings the Thing back to life and more or less reverts everything to normal.

The politics of the whole thing (never mind trying to map them to real world politics) are all over the place, but other than "Saddam/Doom really did have WMDs", which doesn't really get mentioned outside of that sequence, the reading would be that Reed/America were dumb to think they would be greeted as liberators, and that acting unilaterally is rash and harmful, and that also Saddam Hussein will always come back, even if you send him to hell.

drat, yeah, I hadn't read it since it came out, so I definitely forgot some details.
I do remember the Ben Grimm thing though. He was a little bit upset that he was forcibly pulled from Literal Heaven without anyone actually asking him if he wanted to come back to life.
It wasn't long after that he realized he was actually insanely rich because no one ever told him that he was getting a cut from all the Fantastic 4 merch over the years and it just sat there accumulating, right? And then Civil War were declared and all of his assets got frozen when he tried to go to France to ride it out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ben Grimm shouldn’t believe in heaven anyway, unless there’s like a Marvel heaven that’s just another dimension and everyone goes there regardless of what religion they are.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I mean, God is literally Jack Kirby so yeah, I don't think it matters what you believe. Eventually you go to see the king.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Is Stan Lee the devil?

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
In the Star Trek: Deep Space 9 episode "The Wire" Odo tells the doctor he's illegally bugged Quark's bar and routinely monitors his communications. He justifies it as being "in the best interest of the station", which the doctor unconditionally accepts. The federation sure seems to have a lot of ethical flexibility when it suits them.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Well, yeah. They do have Section 31 and all. That's the point.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoomLazer posted:

In the Star Trek: Deep Space 9 episode "The Wire" Odo tells the doctor he's illegally bugged Quark's bar and routinely monitors his communications. He justifies it as being "in the best interest of the station", which the doctor unconditionally accepts. The federation sure seems to have a lot of ethical flexibility when it suits them.

Well two things

It's Odo, who doesn't explicitly work with Federation anything in mind, and it's Quark, who almost certainly has bugged the bug to somehow try and get money out of the deal

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

DoomLazer posted:

Deep Space Nine was always Star Trek's grubby cousin, and I loved that. Not "here's the problem of the week, we solved it, now we'll be on our way", but "here's an unsolvable dilemma, we'll have to compromise our lofty ideals in order to somehow get through it, and in about five episodes our decision is gonna bite us in the rear end".

Returning to the topic of media that didn't age well: Holy gently caress is that show's title sequence ever looooooonnnnng.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
yea aside from 'the federation is as prone to moral compromises as any modern government is despite its more utopian nature' indeed being the point of a lot of Trek poo poo, Odo and Quark are both non-Federation actors, not much they could really do to stop him anyway since Odo can just say 'well, I don't work for you I work for the station' and Quark...probably found a way to sell 'behind the scenes of Quark's' recordings or something anyway so he was probably fine with it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Every religion is real in Marvel there is a thing in the infinity gauntlet where all the gods get together to stop Thanos and Thanos just traps them in their meeting space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011
edit: best to just move on

DoomLazer has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Jan 25, 2022