Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

weird mindset for tonight's GCW show. Especially on the back of ICW's show last night.

GCW is going to put on a great wrestling show tonight. But its not going to be like their more deathmatch oriented outings and that's what bothering me. GCW without Nick Gage or glass isn't really the GCW I fell in love with. Getting to see Nick Gage live was a wild experience. The dude is like nothing else. Atticus not having a scheduled match rankles too. Same with Manders. But there's so much killer stuff on the card right now that even if they only break a single door, the night will still be held in high regard.

Anyway, ICW breaking from the WM weekend pack was delivered in typically defiant Danny fashion. For a meathead, Danny Demanto inherently understands how to occupy that indie deathmatch niche way better than previous attempts(See: Paul Heyman, Rob Black, Zandig, Ian Rotten, etc etc). Last night's NHB show supplanted Impact's Hard To Kill as my fave show of the year so far. Satu Jinn vs Casanova Valentine(a man not afraid to flout NYC's bullshit wrestling laws) was insanely over. Shane Douglas and Danny had a great old man deathmatch. Mickie and Ludark loving killed it. Turns out Mickie speaks spanish like a farmhand. The Rejects main event over delivered despite the dark cloud over JWM's career as of late. Big Joe vs Hoodfoot was absolutely upsetting with one of the most hosed up finishes.

I regard Hoodfoot as one of the greatest wrestling in the indies right now, fight me. Dude can grapple, strike, hardcore or just charisma his way through a match. Dude is also not afraid to bump and die for this poo poo.

Worst case scenario for the longterm health of east coast hardcore is GCW transforms into AEW Dark recruitment shows and all the deathmatch/TV unfriendly types will bolster ICW's ranks. I was idly toying with the idea of Mickie Knuckles and Allie Katch tagging together in an IG deathmatch tournament.

coconono fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jan 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I'm 97% certain someone's gonna jump off a balcony

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Let's Hear It Guys

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mox showed up in NEW (the US one, NorthEast Wrestling):
https://www.f4wonline.com/news/indies/jon-moxley-makes-surprise-appearance-at-new-wrestlefest

Kinda wishing the Canadian one didn't go with the same acronym, but speaking of NEW Canada, they now have all 19 of the matches from their 3rd show up on their Youtube now, but posted individually instead of one show. I'm not sure why they didn't put them into at least a playlist. Originally the tournament was supposed to be semifinals leading into their first title match at NEW4, but they must have seen the writing on the wall with Omicron and done the finals at NEW3 instead.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
On every seat

https://twitter.com/kiarrrrrrash/status/1485401201164312576?t=cRKXcipEdkDs2VBh62rF2A&s=19

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

sticklefifer posted:

Mox showed up in NEW (the US one, NorthEast Wrestling):
https://www.f4wonline.com/news/indies/jon-moxley-makes-surprise-appearance-at-new-wrestlefest

Kinda wishing the Canadian one didn't go with the same acronym, but speaking of NEW Canada, they now have all 19 of the matches from their 3rd show up on their Youtube now, but posted individually instead of one show. I'm not sure why they didn't put them into at least a playlist. Originally the tournament was supposed to be semifinals leading into their first title match at NEW4, but they must have seen the writing on the wall with Omicron and done the finals at NEW3 instead.

You can see me making a drat fool of myself in the front row for most of those.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

What the gently caress is Psycho Clown doing in the pre-show battle royal?

d8uv
Sep 17, 2005

DO NOT EAT
Grimey Drawer
i've never seen a GCW show before and this is so rough and fun!

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

d8uv posted:

i've never seen a GCW show before and this is so rough and fun!

And the production value is like 400x anything I've ever seen them do before, this rules.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

GDT here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3991735&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

THUNDER ROSA

are we gonna do a GDT for this?

e: oh cool lmao thx

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ARMBAR A COP posted:

You can see me making a drat fool of myself in the front row for most of those.

I haven't been able to get to any of NEW's shows yet (I'm in Van too). I really want to go to show #4 (or I guess technically #5) next month, but I'm not sure what the restrictions and my comfort level with crowds will be like by then. My last show was ECCW at the Commodore Ballroom pre-pandemic with Bandido vs Jeff Cobb headlining, and the Commodore at least had tables and balconies if you wanted to sit away from people. I'm guessing Studio isn't quite like that? I've never been.

Also really happy to see Kristopher Kassidy show up in NEW to manage some people. He's a friend of mine and used to be my fight choreography trainer before the pandemic shut down classes.

sticklefifer posted:

Originally the tournament was supposed to be semifinals leading into their first title match at NEW4, but they must have seen the writing on the wall with Omicron and done the finals at NEW3 instead.
Hell yeah, Golden Boy Travis is their first champ. Good for him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Did Matt and Chelsea get hitched? Or is more of a gimmick/casual 'oh they're a thing' thing to call them the Cardonas?

boxcarhobo
Jun 23, 2005

Gaz-L posted:

Did Matt and Chelsea get hitched? Or is more of a gimmick/casual 'oh they're a thing' thing to call them the Cardonas?

they got married in vegas in new years

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

boxcarhobo posted:

they got married in vegas in new years

Oh neat! :) Good for them!

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Beached Whale posted:

I was standing right in the corner by the bell for this. Both the tag team matches were incredible and the title match was just the right amount of ridiculousness. The crowd reaction when Grim somersaulted over the ropes onto MV was wild!

https://twitter.com/KVR216/status/1485101543485583363

Was great to see how cool everyone was with wearing masks and only taking them down for a bit when they were sipping from their drinks. After seeing some of the recent AEW shows taped in Florida I was worried we'd get a bunch of yahoos but props to all involved for staying safe so we could have some fun. Hope the balcony seats were great, Smalls has some good sight lines from up there!.
Yeah that was insane because the floor of Mr. Smalls is just wood and concrete. It was a fun show and I got to see a bunch of people I haven't seen before live in real matches like Ziggy Haiym (I saw her when she was Jinx at this very long 8 hour taping for a failed women's only promotion launch), Edith Surreal, MV Young (who I nearly ran face first by accident at the 7/11 near my place because it turns out he's also lives around Bloomfield), Violence is Forever, Darius Lockhart, and Lee Moriarty.

I'd say matches to be on the look out for will be: A Tribe Called Catch (Lockhart and Sugar Dunkerton) vs PB Smooth and Lee Moriarty, Violence is Forever vs Yokai, and EFFY vs Sonny Kiss.

Main Event was fun for an Indie Show Casket Match and 8 man opening tag.

I did learn it's much harder to write notes while watching live wrestling (working on starting a podcast with some comrades that will mostly be AEW review along with other wrestling shows we've watched and DSA stuff); was also sitting next to someone from the PWTorch and bumped into Thauros which is always a pleasure!

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah that was insane because the floor of Mr. Smalls is just wood and concrete. It was a fun show and I got to see a bunch of people I haven't seen before live in real matches like Ziggy Haiym (I saw her when she was Jinx at this very long 8 hour taping for a failed women's only promotion launch), Edith Surreal, MV Young (who I nearly ran face first by accident at the 7/11 near my place because it turns out he's also lives around Bloomfield), Violence is Forever, Darius Lockhart, and Lee Moriarty.

I'd say matches to be on the look out for will be: A Tribe Called Catch (Lockhart and Sugar Dunkerton) vs PB Smooth and Lee Moriarty, Violence is Forever vs Yokai, and EFFY vs Sonny Kiss.

Main Event was fun for an Indie Show Casket Match and 8 man opening tag.

I did learn it's much harder to write notes while watching live wrestling (working on starting a podcast with some comrades that will mostly be AEW review along with other wrestling shows we've watched and DSA stuff); was also sitting next to someone from the PWTorch and bumped into Thauros which is always a pleasure!

I was pleasantly surprised at how funny Darius Lockhart was.

I was on the floor for this and gently caress, Sonny lays his poo poo IN. Those forearms were thuddy as hell.

inconsequential
Feb 6, 2004
Got the GCW PPV on a whim, have never seen any GCW outside of clips and twitter gifs. Would definitely order again, for any problems there may have been 25$ and a concise show is nice. Not saying I wouldn't want to see a longer Briscoes match but 4+ hours of AEW PPVs is plenty for that kind of marathon.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

GCW show was good but I still like the ICW show Saturday more. Putting Psycho Clown in a pre-show opener is a sin.

GCW was a love letter to ECW's Hammerstein shows without the embarrassing "reunion" matches. The show was much more like their Joey Janella produce than the usual bong rips and facebook messager booking Brett does. The Cardonas were the east coast dirtbag and slutty girl combo. The Jeff Jarrett thing was absurd. Atticus Cogar was relegated to segment fodder. The lucha match was the best bell to bell all night.

I got worked by Nick Gage. We all got worked by Nick Gage. Only the realest heads knew what was up.

Do you think Matt Tremont and Joey Janella bond over a shared love of Foreigner?

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

coconono posted:

The show was much more like their Joey Janella produce than the usual bong rips and facebook messager booking Brett does

yeah it was basically the same lame-rear end show that Joey Janela Lost In NY was, just a slightly bigger building. like, as a reminder

quote:

Maxwell Jacob Friedman defeats Nate Webb (10:16)
KTB defeats Marko Stunt (7:36)
Teddy Hart defeats Chris Dickinson (15:21)
Nick Gage (c) defeats Sabu (7:35)
Grab The Brass Ring Six Way Ladder Match: Jimmy Lloyd defeats Eli Everfly and G-Raver and Gringo Loco and Orange Cassidy and Tony Deppen (23:56)
Ethan Page defeats Penelope Ford (5:55)
Jinsei Shinzaki defeats Joey Janela (11:13)
PCO defeats Matt Riddle (13:39)

pretty miserable show outside of wheatus. at least this one had the lucha tag which was better than any of gcw's lovely multi mans have ever been

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

The more I think about this show the less I like it and i was cold on it to begin with. I think the lost in NY comparison is apt but at least at lost in NY they didn't have practically all their regulars get chumped out by outsiders.

It is remarkable though imo that icwnhb, as hit and miss as they can be, have blown gcw out of the water every time they've run against or alongside their shows including this one. I'd go well out of my way to watch their show from Saturday.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I was gonna be down on the regulars getting chumped out but AJ Gray, Blake and Nick Fn Gage did all right for themselves. I wish Atticus had a better angle running than "says mean poo poo from the crowd while Gregory Irons gets gang beat AGAIN"

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
is GCW ever going to get weekly tv? we could use a second national wrestling company.

Sticky Nate
Jan 9, 2012

all the issues GCW normally has (production, announcing, timing, and wrestling) were on display

I'm probably going to watch Spring Break, but that's it. This promotion isn't for me anymore.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

is GCW ever going to get weekly tv? we could use a second national wrestling company.

Definitely not.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Does anyone know of a list of indies in Dallas for Wrestlemania weekend this year? I'm hoping to get Janela's Spring Break tickets and see what else will be around.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Havoc904 posted:

Does anyone know of a list of indies in Dallas for Wrestlemania weekend this year? I'm hoping to get Janela's Spring Break tickets and see what else will be around.

GCW will be running The Collective again. No specific shows announced yet but probably Bloodsport, GCW, For The Culture etc

https://www.f4wonline.com/news/indies/gcw-collective-returning-wrestlemania-weekend-dallas-361856

ARMBAR A COP
Nov 24, 2007

Sticky Nate posted:

all the issues GCW normally has (production, announcing, timing, and wrestling) were on display

I'm probably going to watch Spring Break, but that's it. This promotion isn't for me anymore.

Sick

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Found some random rear end Russian Feds on youtube:

NWW does some crazy deathmatch backyard poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-ec-YnkFI

IWF seems to do some more straightforward wrestling with occasional hardcore stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNV8rgu4T88

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://twitter.com/BLabelPro/status/1486137220402663432

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
GCW booking Dr Wagner Jr vs Joey Janela and Homicide

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

those two are gonna jump right out of the drat building, good lord

also WARHORSE is setting his dates for going across the pond:

https://twitter.com/JPWARHORSE/status/1486373016112144402

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

so far, The Collective and Wrestlecon are the two major operations running Mania week. Full cards will probably be announced in the next few weeks. Assuming the world doesn't end. Again.

ICW, notably, will not be in Dallas. They're running their new Jersey venue(which normally hosts weddings).

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i hope they anchor a big fun weekend series of shows to Double or Nothing or All Out

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Speedball put on an absolute banger with Rey Horus and Aramis last month at West Coast Pro and next month.....

https://twitter.com/WCProOfficial/status/1486401110361346049

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

Malakai Black
BUSSY

sorry, but those being right on top of each other is cracking me up so hard

https://twitter.com/wrestleprestige/status/1486497335949418498?s=21

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006
https://twitter.com/effylives/status/1486508151004401666?s=21

WRITE A SING FOR EFFY, COWARD

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
oh gently caress Yeah

https://twitter.com/GCWrestling_/status/1486883073652408324

heel turn
Jan 6, 2004

Some boy tried to step to me at the county fair. I said son u clearly have no ideal what creek im from

Not a single match announced yet, but I already know this is going to kick rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Did NPU break with IWTV too?