Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Still chipping away at the Anthem killer

Chop, chop, chop
True, I can see that. I'm having some fun right now putting the rampage wand and gamblers ace on a priestess and allowing occasional swathes of destruction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

drat I'm late to the party. I just discovered this game and lost all afternoon to it.

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

I'm still working on it, adding a lot of new heroes/items/etc. Plus sometimes a new mode when I get a silly idea. (Start with 10 heroes at level 10, only levelups, no items)

I don't know exactly when I'll release an update; I'm not a good planner.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Tann posted:

I'm still working on it, adding a lot of new heroes/items/etc. Plus sometimes a new mode when I get a silly idea. (Start with 10 heroes at level 10, only levelups, no items)

I don't know exactly when I'll release an update; I'm not a good planner.

Holy poo poo lmao

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tann posted:

You got them all, congrats on the unfair streak!

I haven't quite figured out what to do with achievements; I like each achievement unlocking "something", plus I like random achievements that notice a cool thing that happened rather than something to try for. I want to add more weird secret achievements that unlock something stupid/minor but I think this might annoy completionists...

The existing ones are already annoying me. There are 16 I don't have, there are a chunk of items locked behind them and I have no idea where to even start. Things that are just awarded for streaks and such are OK because I'll get them eventually just by playing, but I think it's very bad form to have an achievement that is both hidden and counterintuitive.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

The existing ones are already annoying me. There are 16 I don't have, there are a chunk of items locked behind them and I have no idea where to even start. Things that are just awarded for streaks and such are OK because I'll get them eventually just by playing, but I think it's very bad form to have an achievement that is both hidden and counterintuitive.

I unlocked all the hidden ones by playing naturally eventually. Once you get more comfortable with the game you're more likely to do the stuff it requires, I think. Either way, most of the stuff locked behind them isn't game altering in any way, just some fun new items that almost never show up because there's so many of them.

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
The stats screen (book) tells you 3 available achievements

I got loop Hero for free on Epic, and now I keep thinking what this game plus loop Hero would be like

Tann
Apr 1, 2009

eonblue174 posted:

The stats screen (book) tells you 3 available achievements

I got loop Hero for free on Epic, and now I keep thinking what this game plus loop Hero would be like

In the future I'd like to make an AI for player turns, that could unlock some fun potential!

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Nice!

The part of the loop hero X slice and dice combo that's exciting to me is having the tile laying of LH and then your upgrades are like extra heroes, items, and upgrades that get used in the combat and the combat is like in SnD.

I feel like this is one of those ideas that's only exciting in my head rather than seeing described lol. It makes me tempted to learn to make phone games

eonblue174 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 23, 2021

eonblue174
Sep 13, 2011

Chop, chop, chop
Tom Francis, developer of many interesting games including Heat Signature, brought some attention to the game.

https://twitter.com/Pentadact/status/1477362126217900033?t=QJqbcd-dbXHiJEJcPL033w&s=19

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

toms great, always enjoy his game showcases. this is his third ever run though, so fair warning if you're a veteran player there will be a lot of shouting "tom, no!!" like he's clawing the couch

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
My main complaint with this game is it makes most other phone games out there seem like trash in comparison?

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dhamster posted:

My main complaint with this game is it makes most other phone games out there seem like trash in comparison?

Yeah, everyone posting their wordl pattern and not their current hard streak are unenlightened.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I still haven't beaten Unfair once. The highest I can make is level 12.

Been mostly focused on Tough/Damaged/Fewer Rolls, but been experimenting with options other than Tough because I just can't seem to ever do enough damage for the boosted boss at 12.

Sometimes I just roll badly on earlier ones and am totally poo poo out of luck.

But ugh, Expensive Spells, Start Poisoned and Left Blank seem even more punishing.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?

dhamster posted:

I keep browsing the play store for something new, then reconsidering and playing more S&D instead. I have no regrets.

I'm still stuck on getting the 13 curses in Cursed mode. I've gotten one level away three times, but I just can't seem to cross that finish line. Still loving it though.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

teethgrinder posted:

Been mostly focused on Tough/Damaged/Fewer Rolls, but been experimenting with options other than Tough because I just can't seem to ever do enough damage for the boosted boss at 12.

But ugh, Expensive Spells, Start Poisoned and Left Blank seem even more punishing.

Unfair is just really hard. Things will be going fine and all of a sudden you're dead. I have beaten it maybe one time and I have pretty much given up on trying to get a streak, I think it's the only thing I haven't unlocked at this point.

Cursed has a relatively fun and engaging difficulty curve but the capstone achievement for that is very hard, it took me a long time to get that far.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

dhamster posted:

Unfair is just really hard. Things will be going fine and all of a sudden you're dead. I have beaten it maybe one time and I have pretty much given up on trying to get a streak, I think it's the only thing I haven't unlocked at this point.

Cursed has a relatively fun and engaging difficulty curve but the capstone achievement for that is very hard, it took me a long time to get that far.

Oh yeah that cursed achievement is brutal. 54 is my highest iirc and that was a great run. Started getting a bit frustrated with it so working on improving my hard streak which is currently a measly 8.

teethgrinder posted:

Start poisoned is quite good. You just need to prioritise cleanse upgrade early and then it becomes manageable.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The only thing I have left is unfair streak and god it is infuriating, I have gotten close so many times but just cannot get there.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Getting a high hard streak seems like a cool project, maybe I can give that a shot.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

teethgrinder posted:

Tough is way harder than it looks. It takes a lot of enemies that you can kill in one turn and makes them take two turns. Like, consider, on normal, how hard it is to kill the boar at 7 hp vs the 6 or 5 hp enemies. Making the witch or ghost take an extra turn to kill can be devastating. For me, it's either expensive spells or start poisoned as the third.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I've still never won an unfair regular run. I've barely managed one with a custom party. I have given up.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
I have 144 normal wins under my belt. I can't stop. I won't stop.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How the hell are you meant to beat Custom Party with five Defenders for the achievement? The Rotten is basically unbeatable with that comp.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Get lucky on item drops?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Five grays is best done on Easy

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dhamster posted:

Five grays is best done on Easy

I am doing it on Easy.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I can't blame you, it's the worst class comp

Arbetor
Mar 28, 2010

Gonna play tasty.

That was my last custom party run and yeah, hope you miss the Rotten, then hope for useful items. Looking at my items, I had something to apply poison, something to get some boosts, and then engage + revenge. Also, lots and lots of items that apply effects on save. Those can help snowball defensively. Three attempts, first died to the rotten, second early to the lich, and third made it all the way.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

My only victory with an all grey team in custom party was using weaker enemies on easy mode, and got lucky with a dragon egg drop.

That combined with an iron heart and silver pendant on a stalwart made me squeek by the dragon boss.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

CainFortea posted:

My only victory with an all grey team in custom party was using weaker enemies on easy mode, and got lucky with a dragon egg drop.

That combined with an iron heart and silver pendant on a stalwart made me squeek by the dragon boss.

I got it finally in almost the same way. I got Dragon Egg and Smelly Manure on a Bouncer to get me there - it turns out that 2 Revenge with growth 2 is pretty good against swarms of Imps and Bones - but it was Undying on the Dragon that saved me.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Picked it up a week or so ago, beat it on Hard tonight. loving love this game.

Probably not new information, but Tom and Ben of the Yogscast played it on stream a few weeks ago.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

So, I am locked on challenges. I have:

Win Standard Normal in 45m or less: conceivably doable, but I almost never play a full game in one session and as is wins take me somewhere over 50 minutes.
Win with 13 Curses: I don't play Cursed mode and the "reward" is another loving curse so why would I even want it.
Win Unfair with all starting curses: yeah, gently caress off.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Jedit posted:

Win Standard Normal in 45m or less: conceivably doable, but I almost never play a full game in one session and as is wins take me somewhere over 50 minutes.
Win with 13 Curses: I don't play Cursed mode and the "reward" is another loving curse so why would I even want it.

Do you have fast animations enabled? That night help with the speed challenge.

Cursed mode is really fun imo. The 13 curses challenge really makes you master the mode though.

That unfair challenge is rough mostly because of Left Side Blank. I've only ever manage to win with that once.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

dhamster posted:

Do you have fast animations enabled? That night help with the speed challenge.

Cursed mode is really fun imo. The 13 curses challenge really makes you master the mode though.

That unfair challenge is rough mostly because of Left Side Blank. I've only ever manage to win with that once.

I don't have fast animations. I'll see if I can find the option.

Left Side Blank is one I tried first. I wondered why the Ballet Shoes existed, and now I know.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ballet shoes is also good for some of the other items that impact either side. For example - growth to the right side. But most characters have right side blank.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

45 min games become pretty easy after a while. It's 45 min play time too so if you smash that out over 3 x 15 poo poo breaks at work you still get your achievement.

That unfair one is rough though. I've won 2 unfairs and have no inclination of trying to even start with the left side blank yet.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Jedit posted:

At least it's not all unfair curses at once :v:

Tafferling
Oct 22, 2008

DOOT DOOT
ALL ABOARD THE ISS POLOKONZERVA
This game is awesome in every way and cursed looping offers the most interesting customization options imho. My best try was getting to the third loop and dying to a swarm of ghosts.
Youth is the perfect boon, having 3hp on every basic hero saved my rear end when starting my second and third loop.

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

cursed has the highest ceiling on interesting scenarios, but the combo of having to plow through an entire loop before it picks up + the (potentially) gargantuan total run time is a bit heavy for anything i wanna do on my phone.

shortcut (hard) is where it's at. clean 30m run time, item/strategy session right out the gate, and randomized starting classes for a bit of additional difficulty. think this mode specifically made the game an all-timer for me. only games i still have more hours in are solitarica and maybe phantom rose: scarlet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I like to speed run easy classic. See how fast I can just smash through everything.