Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(

Gonkish posted:

The angriest, most overpowered one-demon/bull-armies in the game, going on a killing spree together. :allears: If you're good enough, the two of you might be able to end the game on turn 10 or something.

Exactly! No ranged or cheesing needed, just lots of hilariously broken stats and screaming needed! And Skarbrand can even get Khornebulls if he wants to join in on the speedtrain!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I have the perfect strategy against Skarbrand! Destroy all your towns first so he can't sack them for bonuses :thumbsup:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Noir89 posted:

Deffo gonna do a Taurox/Skarbrand Co-op campaign when the huge map is released lol. Just two very angry bois going on a world tour together.

The true challenge is not falling asleep while you wait for your turn as your co-op partner makes their 15th attack in one campaign turn.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Kanos posted:

The true challenge is not falling asleep while you wait for your turn as your co-op partner makes their 15th attack in one campaign turn.

Sharing (units) is caring

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Sharing (units) is caring

Hey buddy, mind chasing down the fleeing enemies for me? That actually might be kind of fun for awhile. Just micro intensive dog play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Kanos posted:

Turns now take place at the same time.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est
Total War Warhammer 3: Daemon's Souls

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Tirranek posted:

I have the perfect strategy against Skarbrand! Destroy all your towns first so he can't sack them for bonuses :thumbsup:

See also: WRE strategy to survive against Atilla.

Playing as Arkhan just now, and I'm realizing that the Tomb Kings and Vamp Counts are going to be in a rougher spot with the reinforcement changes in WH3. Like... you're using lovely infantry whose only saving grace is that they have no upkeep, they don't flee, and you can swamp nerds in bodies. It's cool, it's thematic, but it goes on for WAY too long, as well.

But with the reinforcement change... you're not going to be able to do that as effectively. Your trash stack will take extra long to enter the field, and you won't be able to do much about that. I'm wondering how they're going to adapt VC/TK for that, because that seems like a potentially big issue.

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 25, 2022

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Edit: double posted like a dumbass

Gonkish fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jan 25, 2022

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
allying tomb kings and immediately and smugly fielding four heirotitans

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gonkish posted:

See also: WRE strategy to survive against Atilla.

Playing as Arkhan just now, and I'm realizing that the Tomb Kings and Vamp Counts are going to be in a rougher spot with the reinforcement changes in WH3. Like... you're using lovely infantry whose only saving grace is that they have no upkeep, they don't flee, and you can swamp nerds in bodies. It's cool, it's thematic, but it goes on for WAY too long, as well.

But with the reinforcement change... you're not going to be able to do that as effectively. Your trash stack will take extra long to enter the field, and you won't be able to do much about that. I'm wondering how they're going to adapt VC/TK for that, because that seems like a potentially big issue.
I dont understand why people need two stacks for this, Winds Of Win doesnt need more chaff to work. Over the course of like 3 different games I've conquered like 90% of the Old World with Kemmler just for shits. Each time I did it where each of my armies, acting independently, could win almost any battle with a stack of a Bloodline lord, Shadows caster Vampire, Necromancer, 15 skellie bois, and 2 wildcard units to flavor. If I saw a bad matchup coming I'd find a battlesite to recruit something good out of, use the good unit(s) to win the battle, then disband them to save upkeep because VCount growth and income curve are both terrible.

So yeah they need work but not because you're required to bring two stacks to every battle.

edit: this came across more arrogant than I intended, I just mean to say that they dont need two stacks for everything and I think their issue is more with their econ / growth / non-skellie unit upkeep than anything else.

p.s. doing the armies I described and leaning entirely on Wind of Death was kinda boring once I got tired of fiddling with new ways to make it more effective.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 25, 2022

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
VCounts could definitely use a little love eventually, not that they're bad but free skellies is both so boring and so good. Make it 50% off instead of free and add capstone techs that extend similar discounts to other units besides zombies maybe? Agreed that VCounts don't need to smash multiple armies on the enemy all the time like Tomb Kings, you only really need to do that if you're autoresolving a lot. You can get in there and cheese tons of wins with just winds of death and maybe a mortis engine

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I love how CA have made so much poo poo OP in this - 200% spell damage + overcast and you can wipe out an entire unit in one spell.

https://youtu.be/O9S1EavXf5U

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

V for Vegas posted:

I love how CA have made so much poo poo OP in this - 200% spell damage + overcast and you can wipe out an entire unit in one spell.

Yes it rules

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Vampire Counts are the most fun when you realize that free skellie spam, melee only and access to strong fliers and heroes/lords means you should be speed running battles, particularly sieges. Just get in there and neutralize priority targets as fast as possible. overwhelm the walls with bones while flanking them from behind while they're on the walls fighting boners coming up ladders. go for sub 5 minute battles, then sub 3, etc. Sub 2 minute sieges. See how fast you can get Krell to solo the enemy solo units once you can maintain him permanently. Cast a spell if a good blob naturally happens but you're gonna be bored if you try to maximize it like Legend does, yeah.

My main stack in VC ends up being 10+ fliers. Also why restrict yourself to reinforcing skelly stacks, set up a bat lady LL and reinforce with 19 fel bats, fel yeah. I use the free skellies to enable cheap border defense. And if you're doing good as any faction money costs aren't a thing, occasionally sack a big city instead of occupying it and stay 5 digits ahead of your costs. Use free skellies to start your rise, not as your mandated full campaign playstyle.

Hell, who cares about pinching pennies with Skellies? You should be slamming your fist into the Raise Dead button as soon as you find your first big gravesite.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

The supply lines and battle difficulty changes in wh3 should make mixed VCount armies much more usable. It was already possible to not skellyspam on VH in wh2, though it was not as easy as skellyspamming obviously.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Turns now take place at the same time.

Still gotta load into like the 40 battles the two of you will be triggering in one turn.

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

Doomykins posted:

Vampire Counts are the most fun when you realize that free skellie spam, melee only and access to strong fliers and heroes/lords means you should be speed running battles, particularly sieges. Just get in there and neutralize priority targets as fast as possible. overwhelm the walls with bones while flanking them from behind while they're on the walls fighting boners coming up ladders. go for sub 5 minute battles, then sub 3, etc. Sub 2 minute sieges. See how fast you can get Krell to solo the enemy solo units once you can maintain him permanently. Cast a spell if a good blob naturally happens but you're gonna be bored if you try to maximize it like Legend does, yeah.

My main stack in VC ends up being 10+ fliers. Also why restrict yourself to reinforcing skelly stacks, set up a bat lady LL and reinforce with 19 fel bats, fel yeah. I use the free skellies to enable cheap border defense. And if you're doing good as any faction money costs aren't a thing, occasionally sack a big city instead of occupying it and stay 5 digits ahead of your costs. Use free skellies to start your rise, not as your mandated full campaign playstyle.

Hell, who cares about pinching pennies with Skellies? You should be slamming your fist into the Raise Dead button as soon as you find your first big gravesite.

This, more or less. Free skellies is for defending how rapidly you'll be expanding and maybe holding the odd front against incoming that your real stacks aren't positioned for. I usually try to get a lore keeper stack or 5 going as I expand to be able to fund batshit expansion. There is a huge exponential gain to VCounts once you've got 3 provinces locked in at Tier 3 or higher where you're suddenly fielding insane armies, spamming heroes and just crushing. I actually have to throttle my expansion speed and just use factions as sack factories to prevent the entire world declaring on me as I rapidly rise to top power.

Pro-tip: Try to keep the skaven to your south alive and just chain sack them and you can get massively positive rep with dwarves. Also if you can keep that other vamp faction in Sylvania alive for a sack city for a bit (the middle one with the wine is a good candidate for this), a lot of factions hate the poo poo out of them, so just go buck wild. I usually clear out the "evil" factions first once I've got I've got both Sylvanias + Stirland + Ostermark locked down, and sweep through the mountains, clearing out skaven and orcs. Then I figure out where I'm going based on how other factions are turning out. I honestly find Deathmaster and Orc hordes to be a bigger mid game threat than Empire/Bret at this point because of the amount of hostility they've added to the map to order in old world. Sometimes the Ordertide starts rolling early so I'll go blow that up if I need to, but I really haven't had to for awhile. Between Hellpit, new Beastmen, and new Woodelf, core Ordertide can get wrecked pretty hard with a few bad battles.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

January 19th - Cathay (Miao Ying) + 9th Lord (Daemon Prince)

January 20th - Khorne + Custom Battles

January 27th - Nurgle + Tzeentch + Multiplayer Games

February 3rd - Kislev + "Prologue" + Multiplayer Campaign

February 10th - Slaanesh + End of Limits

February 12th and 13th - Partner Tournament!

February 14th - Ogres + Review

February 17th - Release of game.

duly noted.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Did we ever get the Slaanesh campaign mechanics summary? We got a brief sketch in the roster reveal, but I can't find any full-length post about it.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Did they fix growth?

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
Slaanesh mechanics got left at the gas station and CA is too tired to drive back to pick them up.

Real answer is just their blog guy left, and it's a job that requires so much back and forth with several different branches that it's probably easier to just wait until the Slaanesh embargo is lifted and let someone make a "Slaanesh mechanics revealed!" video.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
I'm quite excited for Ogre Kingdoms, Cathay, and Chorfs when they come, but I really struggle to be interested in Chaos for some reason. It feels like four minor variations on the same generic pointy-spiky-monsters theme, and the part of the map they start in is kinda ugly and desolate. I wish I could be more hype but I'm just...not :(

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Marin Karin posted:

Real answer is just their blog guy left, and it's a job that requires so much back and forth with several different branches that it's probably easier to just wait until the Slaanesh embargo is lifted and let someone make a "Slaanesh mechanics revealed!" video.

Oh yeah poo poo, I forgot about that. The guy knows how to pick a time.

Anyway I'm leaning towards Nurgle for a first play, though I'll probably end up playing Cathay for the usual conventional combined-arms baby campaign, just to get used to the UI and balance changes. The Demon Prince really leaves me cold - I guess it's the sort of thing that appeals once you know the main chaos rosters inside and out, and have a good sense of which units you really like, but for a first go I'd just be paralysed by too many choices.

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

Zephro posted:

I'm quite excited for Ogre Kingdoms, Cathay, and Chorfs when they come, but I really struggle to be interested in Chaos for some reason. It feels like four minor variations on the same generic pointy-spiky-monsters theme, and the part of the map they start in is kinda ugly and desolate. I wish I could be more hype but I'm just...not :(

You must be thinking of old Norsca and Chaos Warriors, because the four chaos factions all look completely different both visually and mechanics-wise, except for a few shared units.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also think they seem like four variations on the same theme, because they are, they're all chaos. Perhaps best demonstrated by the existence of the chaos undivided faction where you can just pick and mix and their motives are entirely compatible because they hate everyone else and everyone else hates them.

Same reason really I'm not very interested in orcs, I do technically have them but I've never felt the desire to start a game as them, just generally not interested in that style of play. They make good target practice though so that's fine.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

quote:

The narrative is senseless, the Mary Sue is a massive disappointment, the mechanics are painfully overtuned and the rosters are far too limited.

Not worth playing on launch for me. Which is why I won't.

You can’t keep me away from the total war forums

quote:

What a waste of time and energy to give a dude different arms or legs.
So lame, so pointless and so many wasted resources.
Can’t wait to build my pop up towers while using my very own lord created from some preset choices who is blue not red. Yay!

Yessss

Real Cool Catfish fucked around with this message at 13:47 on Jan 25, 2022

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Who even is the Mary Sue they're talking about? The Daemon Prince? I'm so confused.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
probably the OC donut steel chaos undivided mook.

Noir89
Oct 9, 2012

I made a dumdum :(
I really hope they make more kitbash lords! Strange as it may seem, I always get more attached to my generic lords since warhammer for me have always been about making your own unit/army/faction and the lore behind it and with the generics I can kinda do that still. Give them a themed/gimmick army, a title or name and then let their story play out in game. Getting a LL that I can literally make my own sounds great!

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Some players wanna kitbash custom armies with their own fluff. Some wanna get mad that the province layout means they can’t reproduce the course of the invasion precisely as described in the lore.

A hobby of multitudes.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

V for Vegas posted:

i hope they'll throw enough crazy poo poo at you to make sure the game doesn't get too easy. would be really nice if the AI started using the broken stuff that's in the game.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Noir89 posted:

I really hope they make more kitbash lords! Strange as it may seem, I always get more attached to my generic lords since warhammer for me have always been about making your own unit/army/faction and the lore behind it and with the generics I can kinda do that still. Give them a themed/gimmick army, a title or name and then let their story play out in game. Getting a LL that I can literally make my own sounds great!
Yeah absolutely. I think it means we might get Dogs Of War and the ability to make our own human lord for them as a good-guy way to make-a-lord option, and maybe Temurkhan (spelling?) and/or the Tomb King guy who is actually just a swarm of beetles.

doingitwrong posted:

Some players wanna kitbash custom armies with their own fluff. Some wanna get mad that the province layout means they can’t reproduce the course of the invasion precisely as described in the lore.

A hobby of multitudes.
Yeah but there is only one kind of player that complains about literally everything.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

kitbash deamon prince rules. They all just wanted palette swapped spearmanaii

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

Zephro posted:

If you can't get excited about the Great Unclean One making GBS threads out nurglings then I don't know what to tell you.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah the chaos factions are really different and not really alike at all.

Like, a cluster of farty nurglings is very different from robot-dogbull cavalry (juggernauts).

Zzulu fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Jan 25, 2022

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Also a cluster of farty nurglings that win the campaign by slowly engulfing the whole world in poxes and disease plays very different from the murder lord that must fight every turn to stay in shape.

Angrymantium
Jul 19, 2007
Resistant to everything

OwlFancier posted:

I also think they seem like four variations on the same theme, because they are, they're all chaos. Perhaps best demonstrated by the existence of the chaos undivided faction where you can just pick and mix and their motives are entirely compatible because they hate everyone else and everyone else hates them.

I really don't get this kind of complaint in the context of a Total War game. You have an all melee faction with no magic, you have the magic and ranged glass cannon faction, the tanky attrition faction, and the chariot heavy fast micro intensive faction. They all have a pretty varied playstyle in battle even before you account for their campaign mechanics.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

<snip>

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The build your own lord mechanics also make for great DLC fodder once CA's covered all the obvious lore accurate lords.

On the matter of Daemon similarities, they're all very thematically and aesthetically different, but they're all evil demons: if that doesn't appeal to someone then they'll find all four factions unappealing. Its the same as if someone was disinterested in playing a human faction; Kislev and Cathay are clearly very different but that wouldn't make either more appealing.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 25, 2022