Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:
I have been very consistent that people should listen to more modern music, such as things released within the last 10 years. It's extremely boring to listen to the same poo poo all the time and there's more and more and more incredible music being put out every day but it's hard as hell to find frequently.

gradenko_2000 posted:

How about Stormy Daniel

you gotta hand it to a queen like her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i like dad rock i am merely on a fatwa against steely daniel

everyone needs a hobby i guess

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

steely dan sucks rear end and is boring audiophile music with no soul

Choosing to zero in on the word "audiophile" and say thank you yes I AM an expert

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/qaomene/status/1485974893229494275?t=kP8zreQynoZUspZTkneXrA&s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/IAmPoliticsGirl/status/1485406821288267776?t=C3JSDZIrYuj1ANTplSXsHQ&s=19

I feel like I have been cornered by my friend's mom while waiting for him to finish his homework so we can go ride bikes

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am politics girl
Dunnnnn dunnnnn dun dah dun
Deedle-deedle-deedle-dum, dun dah dan

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/bopinion/status/1485951005384658945?s=20

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

where's the wall

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Are they claiming CEOs are labor? Am I reading that correctly?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

done dirty by the twitter crop:

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

also gary gygax was a tremendous piece of poo poo so him playing D&D from hell with Joe makes sense

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

i like covers of dad rock songs if we're being totally honest here

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

i like covers of dad rock songs if we're being totally honest here

covers are reactionary

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1485982098834010114?s=20

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Love going to a racist lady estate sale

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Doing pushups at the RGB Estate sale

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

covers are reactionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBVyRpnyqSM

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

also gary gygax was a tremendous piece of poo poo so him playing D&D from hell with Joe makes sense

Oh no what did Gary do.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Oh no what did Gary do.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

D&D brain is when you say too many words to just say "there weren't many women interested in our playtest campaigns" but then you say 600 more words and ooopsie poopsie you said the quiet part out loud

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

loquacius posted:

https://twitter.com/IAmPoliticsGirl/status/1485406821288267776?t=C3JSDZIrYuj1ANTplSXsHQ&s=19

I feel like I have been cornered by my friend's mom while waiting for him to finish his homework so we can go ride bikes

actually this is a better summary:

https://twitter.com/osamabishounen/status/1039986715417399296

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
He's right, every second of roleplaying with funny voices or character motivations is a second that isn't uncovering a hex with a 10 foot pole

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Not sure why I am surprised that the D&D guy is a biological determinist. Wonder what views he had on race.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Given everything that celebs have been caught doing, having lovely opinions about women is just kind of quaint.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

why don't women want to hang out in our sweaty dark basements and play our hours long number crunching dice rolling game with us nerds? must be because of their brains being inferior or something

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Like, I thought he was going to have a secret child sex slave ring or years of sexually abusing his daughters.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Given everything that celebs have been caught doing, having lovely opinions about women is just kind of quaint.

He's dead now anyway so it's up to his moron son Ernie to keep up the family name

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Judakel posted:

Not sure why I am surprised that the D&D guy is a biological determinist. Wonder what views he had on race.

Hmm now that you mention it that does seem odd that fantasy settings always use the word race when they clearly are describing species :thunk: probably nothing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

lol love to see people live up to stereotypes

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

call me a sadist, but the only politico i'd really ever considering playing d&d with is glenn greenwald

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Lib and let die posted:

call me a sadist, but the only politico i'd really ever considering playing d&d with is glenn greenwald

Listen, Jack. How do I cast raise dead on my family?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
feeling pretty bad for gary though, explaining the rules to an incredibly complex game that you yourself wrote to a woman with no recourse to leave is the Ultimate Mansplain, and probably would have been extremely satisfying had he been able to pull it off

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cpt_Obvious posted:

quote:

In the last years of his life (about 12 to 15 years ago) Gygax held an online question and answer session with fans. In that session, someone asked the age old (for D&D) question: is it okay for "good" characters to murder orc babies when a party stumbles across them in a dungeon. Gygax's answer was "nits make lice".

To those who don't know, this is a quote from the orders of US Army Colonel John Chivington prior to the 1863 Sand Creek massacre. In the Sand Creek massacre, Chivington and his men murdered more than 150 Native Americans, most of whom were women and children, then mutilated their bodies to make trophies. The phrase "nits make lice" was used by Chivington to justify murdering the children in particular.

So to Gary Gygax, D&D heroes were the sort of people who break into the homes of "unruly" natives to murder their women and children. That is what D&D was to him.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Lib and let die posted:

I will DM the Glenn, Matty G, Megan McArdle, Jennifer Rubin D&D game.

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

exactly the kind of person you'd expect to be masterminding d&d

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

i got the snacks and weed

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

what edition

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

AD&D, running Tomb of Horrors.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
I mean there’s also the decades Gygax spent comparing Native Americans to orcs, in that genociding either one is a morally justified act

efb

Lib and let die
Aug 26, 2004

4e would give GG the most opportunities to be an insanely insufferable rules lawyer, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
That mentality on race seems to follow from Tolkien and Tolkien related-media in general, D&D just codified it into a RPG.

There is actually a book in Russian that essentially makes the point that the kingdoms of man are just a bunch of warmongering imperialists.

Blizzard went with the “noble savage” stereotype.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jan 25, 2022