Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

eSporks posted:

Setting timers has been working lately, but it's also strange. I'll say "set timer for 10 minutes" and it will respond with "ok, 4th timer for 10 minutes"
I don't know what the other 3 are?

Android doesn't remove old timers once they go off. Sometimes? If you look in the clock app, there will be a few inactive ones. Whenever I clear mine out, it will eventually store two of them and keep telling me that a 3rd timers has been set. Never a 4th.

:iiam:

eSporks posted:

Or like asking a toddler to help you with your algebra.

This is a real book that I have purchased.

It's basically "A is for algebra, B is for bar graph", etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

eSporks posted:

But why does it need AI?

Why doesn't "set a reminder" just make a reminder in calendar where I can view it?

Why doesn't "set an alarm" create an alarm in the clock app?

Why can't it open my grocery list on Tuesday but can on Wednesday?

Why does it need an internet connection to set an alarm?

None of this needs AI, just super basic command execution that used to work great.

I am absolutely dumbfounded everytime I hear someone suggest using Google assistant. It's like telling someone to use a fork for their tomato soup. Or like asking a toddler to help you with your algebra.

Google wants to pipe everything through the cloud because that's how they get their big data. It makes it easier to respond to variations of natural language when they can see new phrases immediately and tweak the server response instead of pushing an app update to all users.

Downside is that when they gently caress it up, it's hosed for everyone and there's no undoing their mistake. They still haven't fixed setting a timer for X o'clock turning into a timer for X minutes.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Skarsnik posted:

I set alarms and timers multiple times a day on my various assistant devices, works for me just fine

Discovered recently you can give timers different names too which is great if you've got various ones on the go cooking
Where do they go?

Uthor posted:

Android doesn't remove old timers once they go off. Sometimes? If you look in the clock app, there will be a few inactive ones. Whenever I clear mine out, it will eventually store two of them and keep telling me that a 3rd timers has been set. Never a 4th.

:iiam:

This is a real book that I have purchased.

It's basically "A is for algebra, B is for bar graph", etc.
Assistant doesn't put timers into the normal clock app.

This is the most frustrating part about trying to use assistant for me. None of the stuff it generates exists in the normal Google ecosystem. It's all locked away in assistant somewhere. So when assistant breaks, I can no longer access any alarm, reminder, list or whatever I set up with it.

If I could just "override" by doing things manually, I would complain nearly as much.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

eSporks posted:

Assistant doesn't put timers into the normal clock app.

It does for me. I say "set a timer for x minutes" and it opens the clock app and a timer starts. It actually annoys me cause I do it often while cooking and watching YouTube and it stops my video playback and I need to touch my phone to turn it back on.

Pixel 4a, stock Android, stock clock app.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Yeah, Assistant should be kicking the timer over to your clock app after your request is interpreted. If you have more than one clock app, it should be asking which one you want to use (that's how it worked on my previous phone).

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Actually Google made their AI too good. Your phone has become self-aware and is just loving with you.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

isndl posted:

Yeah, Assistant should be kicking the timer over to your clock app after your request is interpreted. If you have more than one clock app, it should be asking which one you want to use (that's how it worked on my previous phone).
I am now even more confused.

If I go into my clock app I have the 1hr and 15m timers I use for work breaks.

I don't have the 18 minute timer I asked assistant to create for my pizza last night.

So seriously. How do I reinstall assistant? Something seems to be seriously broken with mine.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
Do you always say "set a timer" or sometimes "remind me", which will do something different?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

eSporks posted:

Where do they go?

If I'm at home it just runs on the nest mini in the kitchen, i can ask it how long left/cancel it etc

If I ask for an alarm it runs it on my bedside speaker

If I do it outside of home my phone kicks both to the clock app

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

One thing I didn't thing was going to be an issue: you have to have at least six quick actions in the pull down menu in Android 12. My mom is a bit of a luddite and I removed almost everything from her old phone cause she'd do things like turn off wifi without realizing and use up tons of data watching YouTube at home. I had to pick ones that would do the least damage if she clicks on them on accident.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

sourdough posted:

Do you always say "set a timer" or sometimes "remind me", which will do something different?

I just did some trouble shooting.

"Set a timer" starts a timer that exists in the notification tray. I did just check, and these also appear in the clock app, but only while running. They are auto deleted after they expire, which is a different functionality than the adding one manually in the clock app. I still have no idea where the nth other timers go or why assistant days "nth timer for x minutes"

I just deleted every timer in the clock app and Google still says "4th timer for 10 minutes"

Alarms do not show up in the clock app either. Why is this different? Where do alarms go?

I have absolutely no idea where reminders go. They aren't in calendar. They aren't in tasks. They aren't in notes. If I ask assistant to "show me my reminders" it says it can't do that.

None of this helps with any of the list weirdness either. Timers are about the only thing that remotely works at all, and even that will get me the "I cannot do that right now" or whatever message sometimes.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
I can't help with most of that, but reminders are in calendar for me. They show up in the "all day" portion of the calendar, and are crossed out once you click done. If you don't click done, I think they just keep carrying forward every day, but I don't remember for sure.

That in the top left was from me saying "remind me to check the oven in X minutes"

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Skarsnik posted:

I set alarms and timers multiple times a day on my various assistant devices, works for me just fine

Discovered recently you can give timers different names too which is great if you've got various ones on the go cooking

Yep, and if you've got a Home Hub some timer names will invoke custom animations and alarms. For instance, any baking keyword tosses on a breadbasket image, and the alarm plays "The Muffin Man" upon expiry.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

maltesh posted:

Yep, and if you've got a Home Hub some timer names will invoke custom animations and alarms. For instance, any baking keyword tosses on a breadbasket image, and the alarm plays "The Muffin Man" upon expiry.

:barf:

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
I'm using wireless Android Auto in a new third party system (Atoto F7 EX). The audio is fine until I get a navigation directions from Google Maps and it's near unintelligible. It's so low and feels like someone is under my car yelling up at me through the floor board. It's shut. The regular volume is up and fine and the music is fine.

Any ideas on what that could be? Nothing in the settings lets me address it really.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

You typically need to mash the volume while the robot lady is talking to adjust her volume. There’s no other way to access it.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

bull3964 posted:

You typically need to mash the volume while the robot lady is talking to adjust her volume. There’s no other way to access it.

My AA got stuck in such a way that after an alert came through, adjusting the volume ONLY adjusted the AA voice volume, and this was after it dipped the audio for the alert.

That was stupid loving annoying. Then it just fixed itself one day.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

God I hate when I go to adjust the media volume and an alert chimes at that exact moment so when I hit the button I'm adjusting the alert volume instead. Couldn't possibly be what the user intends unless they're clairvoyant!

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

bull3964 posted:

Thanks! I'll try this today. What a dumb system. Or at the very least - just give me a drat slider in the settings menu!

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Finally upgraded my Nexus 6P(it's lasted surprisingly well over the years) to a Pixel 5a and I'm completely out of the loop on android stuff now. The default lockscreen clock is hilariously large and there's way to change it in the default options correct? Google doesn't seem to think so.

I installed a weather app called Weawow and forced it to display as on on-going notification that shrunk it down to be more readable. To be honest I don't really like this UI/layout overall, even compared to my 6P. Going to take some acclimation time I guess

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
the 12l update will let you set the lockscreen clock back to the sane layout

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Still can't get over how bothered people are over a clock layout.

I hope 13 puts all the numbers diagonal across the screen and flips the diagonal direction based on AM/PM and also only shows the time in 5 minute increments.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

I hope 13 puts all the numbers diagonal across the screen and flips the diagonal direction based on AM/PM and also only shows the time in 5 minute increments.

wo
rk
sf
or
me

wo
nt
fix

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

bull3964 posted:

Because they went from having a subtle and simple lockscreen to one that doesn't look aesthetically better or provide any other benefits. It's gone mostly unchanged up until now and it's not for the better.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Vertical time layout is like the second amendment, it shouldn't exist and theres no reasonable way to advocate for it

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
There's actually no need for a big clock at all, you already have the clock in the status bar. The lockscreen doesn't need a clock at all.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

cage-free egghead posted:

Because they went from having a subtle and simple lockscreen to one that doesn't look aesthetically better or provide any other benefits. It's gone mostly unchanged up until now and it's not for the better.

codo27 posted:

Vertical time layout is like the second amendment, it shouldn't exist and theres no reasonable way to advocate for it

Time is an abstract concept and the representation of it for display has always been fluid. It may not look aesthetically better to you, I like the symmetry. Functionally is unchanged. I also like how I can very easily see across a room if I have any notifications due to how prominent the clock is, so in that respect functionality has actually gotten better.

I will always advocate for user choice on how stuff is displayed and it would be nice if we had options for different AoD layouts to allow that. I'm not going to convince you, I know, but I'm always going to see this uproar as one of the most silliest nits to pick.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jan 24, 2022

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Mild annoyance: the AOD attempts to display the countdown timer I have running but, presumably due to battery-saving whatevers, it ends up stalling. So it'll get stuck on like 17:40 for a while, then abruptly skip to 16:14, then start counting off the seconds as at 15:33, then stall at 15:11...

Waking up the phone jiggles it up to date, but, it's stupid

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Big lockscreen clock is one of my favourite things about 12 and if you think otherwise then sorry you are wrong I guess?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

I'd say the vertical layout is more annoying than the size really, but it's an easy fix already. This phone is a million times snappier/more responsive than my dying 6P

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Skarsnik posted:

Big lockscreen clock is one of my favourite things about 12 and if you think otherwise then sorry you are wrong I guess?

so im on day 3 with my pixel 6 and some of the things i like, some of the things i don't like (lockscreen clock, app taskbar) and some of the things i fuckin hate...but overall the most frustrating thing is the lack of customization options. almost everything is decided by google and you cant change it. that's part of why ive been using androids for 15 years or whatever.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If location services/GPS are disabled on a phone, is there a way to force enable it remotely via the Google's Find My Phone stuff?

My dad was brought into the hospital on saturday. I brought a care bag with some clothes and personal stuff to the hospital. I gave it to some hospital staff at the entrance, since there were no visits allowed due to Covid. He died overnight, so I'd like the important stuff back. While I couldn't give a poo poo about the phone, I'd at least need the wallet back I put in there. I'd figure trying to locate it via GPS (assuming I get a good enough lock inside, or some clue via Google's Wifi locator) would help me tell these dipshits where they lost the bag. I assume it's lost and stationary, because it only dropped from 88% to 64% in battery over ~2.5 days. But he seems to have had location services disabled.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

If location services/GPS are disabled on a phone, is there a way to force enable it remotely via the Google's Find My Phone stuff?

My dad was brought into the hospital on saturday. I brought a care bag with some clothes and personal stuff to the hospital. I gave it to some hospital staff at the entrance, since there were no visits allowed due to Covid. He died overnight, so I'd like the important stuff back. While I couldn't give a poo poo about the phone, I'd at least need the wallet back I put in there. I'd figure trying to locate it via GPS (assuming I get a good enough lock inside, or some clue via Google's Wifi locator) would help me tell these dipshits where they lost the bag. I assume it's lost and stationary, because it only dropped from 88% to 64% in battery over ~2.5 days. But he seems to have had location services disabled.

I'm not sure, but it seems like it might be worth checking with the carrier. If you're next-of-kin and have a death certificate I would think they might be able to do something, but I can't say for certain. Carriers do have some ability to locate phones, but I'm not sure how precise it can be.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sorry for your loss. Honestly, I'd assume the hospital would have good security camera coverage and if you push the issue and provide a time and date, I bet they could track down the bag in question.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I think Find My Phone will turn it on? I'm not sure, though. You'd have to use it from the account that is logged in at least.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

hot date tonight! posted:

There's actually no need for a big clock at all, you already have the clock in the status bar. The lockscreen doesn't need a clock at all.

There is no need for glasses. Everybody has perfect vision.

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009
So since I updated to 12 the multi tasking view has been acting up weirdly: if i press the square button, sometimes it won't show any app, just the background, sometimes it will only show the current app and not the previous ones, often the screenshot or lens buttons don't appear or do not work... Anybody else experienced this?

Edit: sometimes the square multitasking button even stops working... Never happened before while I was on 11 :v:

Chikimiki fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jan 25, 2022

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

Same here. I went back to gesture nav, which doesn't have the same problem. I prefer three button, but two isn't enough.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy
The app switcher button not working is apparently a bug with third-party launchers. The quick solution is to switch to the Pixel launcher then back to the third-party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Quebec Bagnet posted:

The app switcher button not working is apparently a bug with third-party launchers. The quick solution is to switch to the Pixel launcher then back to the third-party.

Ah yeah that must be it, since I didn't like the new Pixel launcher I went with Nova launcher. Also I don't like the gestures, so I'm glad there's that solution! Thanks a lot!

Still kinda impressive that Google seems to be so inept at providing a polished mobile OS with a consistent interface, despite years of experience, tons of data and billions of cash :v: