Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

therobit posted:

[CA] Roommate left 30 bottles of piss in his room.

How many cum shirts did he leave behind?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

teen witch posted:

Man, my “foreigners won’t eat this!!!!” experience has been salmiakki, kräftor, and blodpudding. Not keen on either of the three. Still haven’t crossed the surströmming bridge as I’ve yet to have the opportunity*

*I might abuse this for a charity-type sitch in nicer weather

I get salmiak and blood pudding being an acquired taste, but crayfish??? get outta here

Mr. Grapes!
Feb 12, 2007
Mr. who?

teen witch posted:

Man, my “foreigners won’t eat this!!!!” experience has been salmiakki, kräftor, and blodpudding. Not keen on either of the three. Still haven’t crossed the surströmming bridge as I’ve yet to have the opportunity*

Surströmming is the one and only food that has entirely defeated me. I would rather eat human flesh than that horrid piss. I was on a boat once when someone opened up a can of it and I just jumped in the ocean rather than deal with the stench. Right when I surfaced I looked up and that nasty Swede just poured the contents of the can over the side of the boat and onto my head.

He did a big surströmming eating contest that day and my girlfriend surprised me by entering and then loving winning but I would not go anywhere near her until she showered, brushed her teeth, and nuked her entire mouth from orbit.

Do you see people actually eating it 'normally' or is it exclusively super old people and those who are trying to go all Jackass just for the extreme reactions?

Mr. Grapes! fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Jan 25, 2022

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for leaving my sister after promising to help take care of newborn?

quote:

My sister and brother in law (BIL), who I am extremely close with, had my baby nephew two weeks ago. Baby was in NICU for a week and a half. His birth followed a weeklong nightmare of surprise “issues” that doctors kept looking into. It put a lot of stress but luckily everything else was clear and he came home soon after. The night they arrived, my sister asked me to come over.

I showed up with a suitcase and was planning to stay for a week. But I left on the fourth day.

I was trying to help as much as I could with things like preparing bottles, laundry, trying to get my sister to nap which means watching the newborn as he sleeps (my sister refuses to sleep without someone watching him, even though we have technology to help track his breathing) etc. But nothing I did seemed to be enough or right — I was in the wrong for going to bed at night (I begged her to assign shifts so we could all get sleep and she wouldn’t), too slow in getting bottles warmed, would ask me to fetch items and I’d grab the wrong things, etc.

On top of it, her and my BIL kept (and keep) fighting. Like, screaming with the newborn in arms. My sister kept complaining that she has no help, but wouldn’t allow my BIL to pick up his own son or change a diaper. She says that he has no idea what he’s doing and can’t trust him with the baby, rather than just working on it with him. She also doesn’t let him take naps and when he does, says he’s a deadbeat father. So, she kept turning to me over those four days to help with the baby instead.

On the fourth day, I said to her that I think the fighting needs to stop and that she should ask my BIL to help with the baby so he has bonding time / learns how to do the things, while I can deal with household errands. This caused her to blow up at me and say I am causing issues between her and BIL by being there, that they will be fine once I leave, and that I need to stop lecturing if I want to help.

So, I packed up and left despite the fact that for months I said I’d help, know she’s extremely stressed out, and my BIL is at his wits end. However, I feel gaslighted, disrespected and taken advantage of. I put a lot of time and energy into supporting her. We are now not speaking and I know that when we do, she will say I’m making it about me, playing victim when she’s the real victim, and that of course she has no one but herself.

AITA for leaving when I said I would temporarily move in to support her?

*EDIT: Thank you all so much for your extremely helpful comments. Just to clarify — this not the first episode of irrational behavior from my sister. She has definitely suffered from (undiagnosed) anxiety and depression throughout her life. She often blames others for her issues, my BIL being her main punching bag. Now I’m also being verbally abused. She’s refused to see a therapist in the past. (Doesn’t think she needs help, we’re just incompetent.)

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
Crawdad/crawfish/crayfish/mudbug/etc are tasty as hell though. They're basically a small lobster. Do they do something disgusting to it to make it kräftor, like they do with surströmming? Boil it in lye or bury it underground or leave it to rot or something like that? Googling just got me to the animal's wikipedia page.

AITA for demanding my partner to clean up my urine?

quote:

Writing from my phone on a throwaway as I really don't need my friends and family seeing this post. Also English is not my first language so excuse any typos.

So my partner is quite the prankster. Nothing to serious and usually everyone laughs in the end. However today I felt they went too far.

I was on my way to the bathroom with my airpods in my ears as I've been very into a pod lately. Out of nowhere they jump out of a closet scaring me to death. I got so scared that I accidentally peed myself and it got on the floor etc. (I had to go quite badly as I just got home after an hour commuting) I exploded in anger and embarrassment as they stood there laughing their rear end off. So I yelled that they had to clean up the hallway as I refused to do so and needed a shower. They got quite annoyed and said it was just a prank and it wasn't their fault that I had the bladder control of a toddler.

In the end they did clean it up but they have been snappy and in a bad mood since then, saying I massively overreacted.

I told my closest friend about this and they thought I overreacted as well and shouldn't expect others to clean up my urine.

I don't believe I am the rear end in a top hat but the fact that my friend also seems to think I overreacted is making me doubt.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I get salmiak and blood pudding being an acquired taste, but crayfish??? get outta here

I can’t get into shellfish. It just doesn’t jive with me. Ditto with lobster.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time
AITA for not removing a tattoo my partner hates?

quote:

Okay so basically, we’ve been together for a nearly a year or so. While we were dating I got a fairly sentimental tattoo of three foxes by a friend who was an apprentice, now my partner has told me she hates the tattoo and the artist, and that it’s a constant reminder of the fact that I don’t like her art???(apparently? But I really do enjoy it she thinks because I don’t have a tattoo drawn by her I hate all her art or something) she’s never fully explained why she hates my friend, but is DEMANDING I get rid of it if I want to keep seeing her. She’s gone as far as saying she won’t be visiting until I get rid of it, AITA for not wanting to get rid of it?

TLDR:

I got a tattoo, my partner hates the artist and is now threatening to leave me over it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

therobit posted:

AITA for not removing a tattoo my partner hates?

You know what they say about people with three fox tattoos, they know to run when they hear howling.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA For telling my sister that her mashed potatoes were disgusting

But at least it didn't uave raisins!

This is a stupid tiktok thing. Emmy made it, and it's bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2B_Y2z-ts

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

axolotl farmer posted:

This is a stupid tiktok thing. Emmy made it, and it's bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mi2B_Y2z-ts

i had jaw surgery and cant eat solid food, only mash. i miss potato chips and this is making me very angry

Doll House Ghost
Jun 18, 2011

teen witch posted:

I can’t get into shellfish. It just doesn’t jive with me. Ditto with lobster.

My MIL arranged a classic Swedish crayfish party and my brain just shortcircuited while seeing a pile of boiled whole crayfish. It's just... too much. Ended up eating toast with salad.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
louisiana would like a word

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Do they do something disgusting to it to make it kräftor, like they do with surströmming?
No, kräfta is literally just the word for crayfish. Generally they are boiled.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Do you see people actually eating it 'normally' or is it exclusively super old people and those who are trying to go all Jackass just for the extreme reactions?

I will combine the two derails with this! I think it is mostly old people who eat it, but sürstromming is at like every grocery store so it's not just a whacky gimmick food

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmTDsb-fW3Q

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

kissekatt posted:

No, kräfta is literally just the word for crayfish. Generally they are boiled.

Could add that Swedish style crayfish are served cold and seasoned with tons of dill on the cooking broth. You're supposed to not only eat the tail, but the meat in the claws, the larger legs and begin by sucking out the brine from the gills and slurp down the mid-gut gland out the head's shell like it's the best part.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

axolotl farmer posted:

Could add that Swedish style crayfish are served cold and seasoned with tons of dill on the cooking broth. You're supposed to not only eat the tail, but the meat in the claws, the larger legs
This all sounds pretty reaso-

axolotl farmer posted:

and begin by sucking out the brine from the gills and slurp down the mid-gut gland out the head's shell like it's the best part.
Aaaaaaaaaaaa

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Xun posted:

I will combine the two derails with this! I think it is mostly old people who eat it, but sürstromming is at like every grocery store so it's not just a whacky gimmick food

Yes! The olds are big into it, my gen X partner sees it as senior citizen food (and will be upset if I bring it into the house).

I still want to try it for the clout. Xun, I am now recruiting you to go down on this stinky ship with me.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

teen witch posted:

Yes! The olds are big into it, my gen X partner sees it as senior citizen food (and will be upset if I bring it into the house).

I still want to try it for the clout. Xun, I am now recruiting you to go down on this stinky ship with me.

Bah, I guess I can't let Chef Wang show me up, I'll bring the chili oil :smith:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

moonmazed posted:

Hello, on behalf of the people of Lousiana and southern China, crayfish are an integral part of cooking too much food and drinking heavily enough to not be able to get up on sunday and its friday today.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Xun posted:

Bah, I guess I can't let Chef Wang show me up, I'll bring the chili oil :smith:

I hope he's not secretly an rear end in a top hat because I kind of love his videos, especially when he's chilling with his uncle.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

moonmazed posted:

yes we would lol

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've eaten disgusting amounts of shellfish, and if I'm being honest, I just don't have the patience for tearing apart skeletons to get to little bits of meat like I did decades ago. There's not a lot of meat on a crayfish.

My spouse's family believes in just putting entire crabs in the pasta sauce, for flavour. But you just have to take them out again, and now you're picking apart a crab that's covered in sauce. Eating shouldn't be annoying.

Nebrilos posted:

How could anyone have such a baffling opinion? Why even secede, then? The seceding states even said when they did it that it was for slavery! AHHHHHHHH!
For the same reason that after WWII, the Nazi generals who escaped punishment immediately began throwing themselves into propagating what we call the "clean Wehrmacht" myth.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Man, I hate it when the person pulling the prank is the one who's fragile and has no sense of humour

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Jan 25, 2022

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Mr. Grapes! posted:

Absolutely. I've spent most of my life now living abroad and travelling a lot, but I never really tell people when I'm back in the US because it sounds like bragging and I'm kind of tired of answering the same basic questions about it at all.

I was out with some old highschool buddies and my friend's gf is a Korean-American and asks us if we love Korean food. Of course we do. So she brags that she is going to take us to a Real Korean Place that isn't like all that basic Mall Stuff. Sure, sounds good. We go to this place in Koreatown. The whole ride over she is telling us how authentic the place is and everything. We get in, sit down, and the waiter brings us a single menu that is all in Korean. There's only a few things on the menu because it is a bbq place. The girl looks us all over and asks for an English menu 'for her friends'. The waiter looks over at the other table full of white people and kind of gestures at how the English menu is 'occupied', so I just say it's fine and start translating the Korean menu for the table. She looked loving livid so I apologize and hand it to her and ask if she has any favorites she'd recommend and it took her a very very long time to admit that she does not read Korean, and only admitted so after she pointed at something and I balked and asked the table if they really want chicken feet. Later on she spoke to me in private and claimed that I humiliated her by ... knowing some Korean? I don't even speak it well I am just a drunken glutton so I know what I like to order already.

this is insanely loving funny and awesome. I know it wasn't your intention to completely flex on this person and it's certainly not your fault they were so insecure about their identity, but A+

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Evil Willow posted:

AITA for refusing to do a Titanic-themed wedding?

The answer depends on if you can get Eugene Levy to perform.

therobit posted:

[CA] Roommate left 30 bottles of piss in his room.

If you wont open them then how do you know it's piss? :colbert:

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

My spouse's family believes in just putting entire crabs in the pasta sauce, for flavour. But you just have to take them out again, and now you're picking apart a crab that's covered in sauce. Eating shouldn't be annoying.

Mmmmmmm......that sounds very chili crab adjacent. You just gotta gear up and tuck in. It's gonna be messy and that's okay.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

therobit posted:

AITA for 'overreacting' when my boyfriend put IcyHot in my bra?

You’re never too young to learn what loving Around and Finding Out is. Kick his rear end to the curb hon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Motronic posted:

Mmmmmmm......that sounds very chili crab adjacent. You just gotta gear up and tuck in. It's gonna be messy and that's okay.

chili... crab? color me intrigued

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Invisible Clergy posted:

Just prank them with the scariest prank of all: ghosting them.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

AITA for calling my dad a loser because he is refusing to pay for college?

quote:

My dad promised to pay for my college education, I made all my plans based on his promised aid and I applied for early action for my dream college. I got in! It will be expensive but I will be able to graduate with an manageable amount of debt based on my dad helping me.

Yesterday, He told me that he wouldn't be able to help me at all and he will help me get student loans. I was really shocked because he had told me not to worry about it a month ago. I asked him what had happened and he was deflecting before he admitted that he had invested the funds in some stocks and that he had lost money. He had promised me 70,000 dollars and now he has something like 32,000 dollars.

I told him that I would take 32,000 dollars and he said he was not going to sell as he expected the prices to recover and I should just take student loans until it goes back up. I was crying and he was going on about how he was right and by the time I finished college, he will be able to pay off everything.

I told him that he was being a loser right now and it wasn't fair that he lied to me for so long when he was just hoping that it would go back up. He said I should be grateful as they just had 20,000 set aside in a lovely mutual fund and I have 32,000 dollars was because he made the right investments.

My mom is also mad at me because she says most people don't get their parents support in college and I shouldn't be calling my dad a loser for offering to give me 32,000 dollars. I feel really ungrateful and spoiled.

Don't worry kid, we'll pay off your student loans once GME goes to the moon!

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

axolotl farmer posted:

Could add that Swedish style crayfish are served cold and seasoned with tons of dill on the cooking broth. You're supposed to not only eat the tail, but the meat in the claws, the larger legs and begin by sucking out the brine from the gills and slurp down the mid-gut gland out the head's shell like it's the best part.

This is how you eat crawfish yes. There's usually not much meat in the claws, but it's still good. Never tried to get meat from the legs cuz it seems like a lot of effort for so little.

Now I want some crawfish

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Soylent Pudding posted:

jesus loving christ murder this man

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Soylent Pudding posted:

HODL even if it means losing your family over it! HODL! HODL!!!!!!!!!

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soylent Pudding posted:

yeah, it's gme, amc or crypto

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

chili... crab? color me intrigued

It's a very Singapore thing that you absolutely must try if you're ever there. Also pepper crab.

It is served with a bib. You will need it.

This looks like a reasonably close recipe: https://www.seriouseats.com/singaporean-singapore-chili-crab-recipe

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

teen witch posted:

One of my happiest memories was sitting at the harbor, eating kräftor right off the boat, and throwing the shells in the water.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Soylent Pudding posted:

I like it because everyone in this story should be miserable and they are

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Also, probably doesn’t have the 32k either.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

therobit posted:

AITA for 'overreacting' when my boyfriend put IcyHot in my bra?

:murder:

The comments on this seem to be split between telling his mom and pressing charges

Seems to me if she presses charges, the police get to tell dudes mom

What a piece of poo poo though

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Halloween Jack posted:

I’m with you that I don’t like trying to pick apart sauce covered crab, but this is definitely a thing in certain places. I know that Baltimore for example has a big love for crab boil and popular potato chips flavored like old bay crab seasoning.

They boil the crab in a bag with the sauce, seasoning, and some potatoes and small ears of corn then just dump it in a bowl for you. It’s good eating but bring a bib and go wash your hands afterwards. Fans of this believe that getting the sauce all over your hands is a good way to ensure all the meat you eat tastes like the sauce or something, I dunno.

I prefer just cracking steamed crab and dipping in lemon butter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Putting tail-shell shrimp in stir fries, bouillabaisse, and so on is the act of an utter monster. That inch of carapace adds nothing to the flavor of the dish and does require me to either get food on my hands or crunch through inedible material.

Thank you for listening to my rant.